Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1003410 times)

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #9125 on: July 08, 2016, 12:04:45 PM »
just got approved for the Southwest CC, assuming that since I was approved that i'll get the 50k bonus?  my understanding is if you've open 5 cards within the last 24 months, you wouldn't even get approved, correct?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: July 08, 2016, 12:36:13 PM »
the amount of people on here terrified of talking to human beings is very lol

I enjoy talking to people. The problem is that this is an Ink for Mrs. WonderMeal (now our house's designated Chase card applier due to 5/24), so there is a 0% chance that she will make time to go to a Chase branch and lie to a human's face about why she needs another Ink.

I'll just try to refer Mrs. WonderMeal and settle for 65k. :(

yeah, it wasn't your specific example and as rusty points out physically going into a bank is some time sink. I was more stealth mocking the people that hate to call and cancel their cards or ask for fees waived or ask for their card app to be approved.

I always can get fees waived and cards canceled via messaging

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9127 on: July 08, 2016, 12:51:02 PM »
I changed cable providers this weekend and went to cancel time warner online and they force you to call a phone number to cancel.

Long story short I'm paying for 2 cables and 2 Internets now
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: July 08, 2016, 12:53:31 PM »
My plan so far is to just stop paying the time warner bill and eventually I won't have 2 services anymore. Much easier than talking to a person

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9129 on: July 08, 2016, 01:01:42 PM »
My plan so far is to just stop paying the time warner bill and eventually I won't have 2 services anymore. Much easier than talking to a person

they will eff your credit score up

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: July 08, 2016, 01:11:14 PM »
just got approved for the Southwest CC, assuming that since I was approved that i'll get the 50k bonus?  my understanding is if you've open 5 cards within the last 24 months, you wouldn't even get approved, correct?

call and ask them

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: July 08, 2016, 01:36:25 PM »

What is dead may never die

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: July 08, 2016, 01:43:10 PM »

What is dead may never die

what is dead may still be effed. i mean cable companies are real necrophiliacs

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: July 08, 2016, 01:45:39 PM »
(my real plan is to cancel when I take the box back tomorrow but I'm not looking forward to it)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9134 on: July 08, 2016, 01:47:51 PM »
lib7 has grown up right before our eyes!

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9135 on: July 08, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »

call and ask them

takes too long, just figured someone would know how this rule worked.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #9136 on: July 08, 2016, 02:36:13 PM »
anecdotal, but a couple of other posts saying same

Just a heads up for more apparent changes at CitiCards - I signed my husband up for a new Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select Card just over a year ago. It gave him 50,000 AAdvantage miles, as well as the first year’s card fee of $95 waived. Pretty good deal. I’ve done this several times in the past for other family members, including myself. Each year when the statement comes and the “membership fee” is charged, I call Citi ask if they can do anything about the fee. It usually works out that the initial rep I speak to can’t do anything so she transfers me to the “cancellation dept” who has been more than willing to work with me. They usually give me a statement credit for the $95 and sometimes even add an incentive of earning miles if certain amounts are spent on the card. Yesterday, I called with the same situation. My husband’s card had the $95 fee and I wanted to see if I could get it waived. There was no getting past the initial rep. He said we could downgrade or cancel the card. I decided to call back today to see if someone else could do better. Nope! Same thing. I asked the rep what had changed, as I have my own card that had a fee charged in January and there was no problem getting the fee waived. She said it’s because the cancellation dept has been closed and they were the designated dept to offer any deals, not the reps who answer the phones. Talking further, she said that the closing of the cancellation dept was due to the high volume of calls from the COSTCO cards that were just sent out. Apparently, that fiasco has caused a “restructuring” of the depts to meet the needs of the callers. In the end, I did end up closing the card because I don’t think it’s worth the $95 fee. I know, most of you will say that the fee was part of having the card and I should get used to it which I totally agree. But, for the last 5-6 years it was always a given that the fee would be credited and sometimes other bonuses on top of that. Ohhhhh, the good ‘ol days!

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9137 on: July 08, 2016, 03:22:45 PM »
i've always figured if i'm going to earn an amount of points with that card in a given year that will exceed the dollar value of the fee, then the fee is fine. guess i didn't realize you could call and ask for it to be waived. that'd be nice.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #9138 on: July 08, 2016, 03:31:04 PM »
I think this has gotten off track. TO answer the OP:

1 from place of employment
1 Personal
1 Personal Business

So 3 total.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9139 on: July 08, 2016, 03:33:33 PM »
i've always figured if i'm going to earn an amount of points with that card in a given year that will exceed the dollar value of the fee, then the fee is fine. guess i didn't realize you could call and ask for it to be waived. that'd be nice.

chase and amex normally don't waive it. I'm sure they'd do it if you spent 6 figures on a single card or something. citi and the low tier banks normally will. maybe citi no longer though. I can't think of a citi product I'd ever keep more than a year though.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9140 on: July 08, 2016, 03:35:34 PM »
did i ever tell you guys i used my free hyatt nights in DC? well i did. time was running out but the hotel was nice and in a great location.

have a good day, fellas.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9141 on: July 08, 2016, 04:06:48 PM »
citi customer service is all kinds of mumped up because apparently no one in their bank knew they'd be getting about 7 billion new cardholders on a single day from their costco card.

i'd assume they'll eventually get back to normal (normal being they'll waive fees), but it's probably not worth calling in for at least a couple of weeks.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9142 on: July 11, 2016, 11:23:56 PM »
With two new Hyatt cards from just before the 5/24 deadline and 30,000 UR miles transferred over, booking six nights at the GH Kauai for January

How fun  :)
emaw

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #9143 on: July 12, 2016, 06:40:43 AM »
Some dumb questions. I'm not booking any travel for a bit and my Sapphire fee is coming up next month so I'm thinking of cancelling and then just getting Mrs SF the card down the road at some point. Questions:

Do I need to transfer my UR to my Freedom account or can they stay after cancelling?
Since Mrs SF has only been a user on my 4 chase cards the past 2 years will she get the bonus?
Any issues transferring points since our accounts will be separate now?
When can I get a CSP again and get the bonus?

Thanks

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9144 on: July 12, 2016, 07:23:43 AM »
Some dumb questions. I'm not booking any travel for a bit and my Sapphire fee is coming up next month so I'm thinking of cancelling and then just getting Mrs SF the card down the road at some point. Questions:

Do I need to transfer my UR to my Freedom account or can they stay after cancelling?
Since Mrs SF has only been a user on my 4 chase cards the past 2 years will she get the bonus?
Any issues transferring points since our accounts will be separate now?
When can I get a CSP again and get the bonus?

Thanks

you will need to transfer them to an airline/hotel program or another UR card. keep in mind they are only going to be worth 1 cent each if they are on the Freedom. Personally I'd just keep the CSP and eat that fee if it's your only UR product outside of the Freedom. you can transfer them if she's an authorized user on the account. so when she gets her new CSP you will need to be an authorized user of that card to transfer your crappy freedom URs to her new CSP UR account. that also hits your 5/24 number though.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #9145 on: July 12, 2016, 07:26:39 AM »
Me thinks I've been confused. I know Freedoms are worth less, but I thought I could use the freedom as a holding point then transfer them back to CSP when I got a new card and they would be UR points again. Is this not the case?  I've always transferred Freedom points to CSP then used them. Am I doing this wrong?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9146 on: July 12, 2016, 07:58:40 AM »
Me thinks I've been confused. I know Freedoms are worth less, but I thought I could use the freedom as a holding point then transfer them back to CSP when I got a new card and they would be UR points again. Is this not the case?  I've always transferred Freedom points to CSP then used them. Am I doing this wrong?

yes, that's pretty clearly the case. you aren't doing it wrong.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9147 on: July 12, 2016, 08:01:09 AM »
:users:

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9148 on: July 12, 2016, 08:23:38 AM »
(my real plan is to cancel when I take the box back tomorrow but I'm not looking forward to it)
I called in an cancelled with Cox last Wednesday.  It wasn't great, but not as bad as i thought it would be. 

Called in and was screened through an automated system.  Now, they never made me press "Press X to cancel a service" but the mutli-layer screening got me to an option that i could only get to if i were cancelling. 

So, the guy picks up: "How can i help you?"
"I'd like to cancel my cable subscription"
"Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? ...  ... shoot, tsk... alright hold on a minute"

After stalling for 20 minutes, he finally got me my obligatory counter-offer, which was to lower my rate back to the rate it was  after they jacked it up (Cox raised my bill $30 in February, then $40 in May, and they thought a good deal sounded like lowering it back to the Feb rate, because that was only me getting lightly mumped)   I told him no, and that i already had the box unhooked and he let me on my way.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9149 on: July 12, 2016, 09:13:10 AM »
i want to stay in MHK on a friday night in a couple weeks but i am very spoiled and used to staying in hyatts for like 8k points/night. the HI next to campus is like $150 i guess, is there any better options for connoisseurs of this thread? tia