Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1002879 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #8775 on: March 24, 2016, 11:44:24 AM »
sd, put that new one back in the first post, it's 60K after $5K in 3 months.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8776 on: March 24, 2016, 03:26:15 PM »
sd, put that new one back in the first post, it's 60K after $5K in 3 months.

done

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8777 on: March 24, 2016, 03:38:50 PM »
alternatively, someone tell me what to get that isn't the CSP, SPG amex, visa aaaaadv, mc aaaadvv, or BA visa. Send me a referral if it's good for us, priority is intra-pacific rim travel.

asiana and hawaiian might be useful for you.  neither are chase/citi, so that's good.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8778 on: March 25, 2016, 01:26:57 PM »
got my chase sapphire cards today.  :thumbsup:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8779 on: March 25, 2016, 02:29:39 PM »
got my chase sapphire cards today.  :thumbsup:

:party:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8780 on: March 31, 2016, 02:14:28 PM »
By my records, I shouldn't be able to get a new sapphire until June.  I got my Ink in May 2014 and have gotten 4 other credit cards since that one. 

I just got mail from CSP offering me 50K after spending $4K in 3 months.  It has a deadline of 5/9/16.  The only caveat I see on it is that I don't have a CSP currently and didn't get the CSP bonus in the past 24 months.

I got my original CSP and the bonus in 2011 and canceled it 5/3/15.

Is this mailed offer gonna trump the 5/2 rule that was keeping me from applying for a new CSP (and any other card until I get the CSP) or will I get rejected if I take them up on this and worse, it somehow count as an application and make it another 2 years before I can get a CSP?

I'd planned to wait until June and go through someone's referral but it would be really helpful if I could get one now and use it for stuff I've got coming up.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8781 on: March 31, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »
By my records, I shouldn't be able to get a new sapphire until June.  I got my Ink in May 2014 and have gotten 4 other credit cards since that one. 

I just got mail from CSP offering me 50K after spending $4K in 3 months.  It has a deadline of 5/9/16.  The only caveat I see on it is that I don't have a CSP currently and didn't get the CSP bonus in the past 24 months.

I got my original CSP and the bonus in 2011 and canceled it 5/3/15.

Is this mailed offer gonna trump the 5/2 rule that was keeping me from applying for a new CSP (and any other card until I get the CSP) or will I get rejected if I take them up on this and worse, it somehow count as an application and make it another 2 years before I can get a CSP?

I'd planned to wait until June and go through someone's referral but it would be really helpful if I could get one now and use it for stuff I've got coming up.

I think pre-approved offers are outside of the rule

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8782 on: March 31, 2016, 02:33:21 PM »

Think I should call the number that's on the letter and directly ask, or just roll the dice?  Not sure if it's weird for people to be calling them and asking if their 5 cards in the last 22 months are an issue for them.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8783 on: March 31, 2016, 02:36:18 PM »

Think I should call the number that's on the letter and directly ask, or just roll the dice?  Not sure if it's weird for people to be calling them and asking if their 5 cards in the last 22 months are an issue for them.

wouldn't hurt to just try it, right? they either approve it or not. My understanding is that is how they operate. not that you get it and never get the bonus like amex.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8784 on: March 31, 2016, 03:28:40 PM »
i'd flyertalk search that issue.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8785 on: March 31, 2016, 04:54:40 PM »

I looked a bit.  Saw something that contradicts what sd thought about possibly getting the card but then not getting the bonus.  I'll probably just call and tell 'em exactly what I've had and have and get confirmation that I'll be given a card and the bonus.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8786 on: April 03, 2016, 05:25:52 PM »
Looking at some vacation spots for travel this year for me and the gf...

Options are:
 Trip 1 - Dallas to either Cancun or Jamaica (for 2 free nights at Hyatt Zilara :wink: ) - end of May for memorial day weekend
 Trip 2 - Dallas to Hawaii - no timetable
 Trip 3 - Dallas to Sydney - for NYE

I have:
 172k AA
 50k BA
 16k Southwest (current companion pass holder :wink: )
 22k Virgin Atlantic
 100k Ultimate Rewards points (98k on CSP  +  2k on Freedom)
 55k Citi ThankYou points (have no idea what to do with these... if these aren't included in the plans, still need to know what is best to do with them)

Pretty much nothing on Delta or United. 

Have Citi AA MC, Citi ThankYou, CSP, Freedom, recently closed both Southwest Cards... about all I can think of so far.

Prob transfer UR to SW for Cancun or Jamaica, AA to Hawaii and Sydney would be best options?  Prob won't get both on points alone...

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8787 on: April 03, 2016, 06:37:37 PM »
do dfw to sydney just so you can say you were on the world's second longest (formerly longest) flight
emaw

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8788 on: April 04, 2016, 09:50:14 AM »

I looked a bit.  Saw something that contradicts what sd thought about possibly getting the card but then not getting the bonus.  I'll probably just call and tell 'em exactly what I've had and have and get confirmation that I'll be given a card and the bonus.

Tried the number and could instantly tell by how the person answered that I wouldn't get what I needed.  Will just try applying online and raising hell if it doesn't work out the way it should.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8789 on: April 04, 2016, 09:53:49 AM »
Is this the prompt to sign up for Virgin's FF program and get their credit card and have whatever miles/points I can rack up funnel into my Alaska account eventually?

https://twitter.com/AlaskaAir/status/716928780145537024

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8790 on: April 12, 2016, 08:00:48 AM »
TLDR and probably luked but:

Is having a bunch of credit card limit and not using that limit hurt my credit score for utilization? For instance, out of my three credit cards, my combined limit is in the 120k range. I only use about 5-6k per month of that. Is that hurting my credit score?

TIA!

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8791 on: April 12, 2016, 08:15:36 AM »

Is having a bunch of credit card limit and not using that limit hurt my credit score for utilization? For instance, out of my three credit cards, my combined limit is in the 120k range. I only use about 5-6k per month of that. Is that hurting my credit score?

TIA!

Low utilization rate (%) is good for your credit score. If you have too much available credit they might be reluctant to give you more though. If you request a new card from a company that you already have credit with, they might suggest lowering your limit on the existing card and giving that amount on the new card. In fact, if you get denied, you should call them and suggest that.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8792 on: April 12, 2016, 11:15:38 AM »

TIA!

Low utilization rate (%) is good for your credit score. If you have too much available credit they might be reluctant to give you more though. If you request a new card from a company that you already have credit with, they might suggest lowering your limit on the existing card and giving that amount on the new card. In fact, if you get denied, you should call them and suggest that.

Thanks!  :billdance:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8793 on: April 25, 2016, 02:32:08 PM »
Am I missing anything about this offer to purchase SPG points? 

20,000 points for $525 which will get you a night at a category 6 that will often retail for roughly that, but I don't think there is any reason for me to do this.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8794 on: April 25, 2016, 02:33:17 PM »
buying points is almost always a bad idea

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8796 on: April 27, 2016, 03:28:51 PM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-27/inside-the-risky-jet-setting-world-of-credit-card-churning

What do they mean they can't confirm the 5/2 rule? I thought that was a known fact. (or maybe I just took it as a known fact because SD said it)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8797 on: April 27, 2016, 03:37:08 PM »
it's a known fact for ur cards.  unconfirmed that it will be extended to other chase cards.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8798 on: April 27, 2016, 04:15:51 PM »
I remember when my credit card offers kept getting better and better. I was just about to start getting premium offers when tragedy struck and someone opened a cellphone account in my name, didn't pay it, and I started getting calls from a collection agency. Still trying to get the situation cleared up and my credit scores fixed.

Identity theft is a bitch.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #8799 on: April 29, 2016, 06:37:20 PM »
Does the SPG AMEX get platinum concierge access?