Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004445 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #8175 on: December 03, 2015, 02:22:15 PM »
When has sys been wrong?

well, he seems to eff up every time he tries to book award travel for starters. could just be he only posts about the bad ones though.

i'm super proud of my last booking.  it took a lot of work, but i personally think i kicked a little ass, given i was starting from a position of ignorance.

THIS THREAD WINS AGAIN!  :love:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: December 03, 2015, 02:23:02 PM »
Transfer them to Hyatt immediately (if you still can)

curious why?

i think sd maybe missed where the poster was going to keep a freedom.  i'd transfer the points to the freedom with the plan of transferring back to ur's when they get their next csp or ink.

no, I saw that part

storing them on a freedom is fine if you think you are going to get another UR card soon but obviously you've just gotten shut down for one so you'll have a wait and won't be able to get more cards while you wait.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: December 03, 2015, 02:27:46 PM »
Should I make sure to keep my credit card applications low so that I can get another UR card sometime within the next couple years?

:impatient:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: December 03, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »
I need to go to Italy within the next 3 years, including but not limited to Venice. I currently have 100k UR points. Can someone make me a plan to get the rest of what I need to get flights and hotel paid for?

united is better than aa for getting to europe.  always good to have some aa too, though.  you only need a few more ur's to get there, if you book well.  use the stopover, it's super easy to book with united.  120k ua shouldn't be that hard to find.  wait for a booking sale and you can sometimes get 20-25% off that.

choice has some decent hotels in italy with very low redemptions.  if you travel for work, pick up some choice points just for that (they're garbage except for cheap european hotels).  don't get a card for them not worth it.

the ihg 80k might be worth it.  the hyatt 2 nights might be worth it.  just be careful with your 10 card limit.

if you need to use money as well as points/nights, use the points/nights in venice and pay money in most other cities.  venice is crazy expensive compared to most italian lodging (which is cheap).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: December 03, 2015, 02:31:24 PM »
Should I make sure to keep my credit card applications low so that I can get another UR card sometime within the next couple years?

stay under 5 each for you and gooch/24.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: December 03, 2015, 02:33:50 PM »
storing them on a freedom is fine if you think you are going to get another UR card soon but obviously you've just gotten shut down for one so you'll have a wait and won't be able to get more cards while you wait.

well, i wouldn't do anything that would jeopardize my ability to get a csp and ink every 2 years.  so imo, it doesn't make any sense to just give up and shut yourself out on those to churn some crap hotel cards or whatever.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: December 03, 2015, 02:40:02 PM »
I need to go to Italy within the next 3 years, including but not limited to Venice. I currently have 100k UR points. Can someone make me a plan to get the rest of what I need to get flights and hotel paid for?

united is better than aa for getting to europe.  always good to have some aa too, though.  you only need a few more ur's to get there, if you book well.  use the stopover, it's super easy to book with united.  120k ua shouldn't be that hard to find.  wait for a booking sale and you can sometimes get 20-25% off that.

choice has some decent hotels in italy with very low redemptions.  if you travel for work, pick up some choice points just for that (they're garbage except for cheap european hotels).  don't get a card for them not worth it.

the ihg 80k might be worth it.  the hyatt 2 nights might be worth it.  just be careful with your 10 card limit.

if you need to use money as well as points/nights, use the points/nights in venice and pay money in most other cities.  venice is crazy expensive compared to most italian lodging (which is cheap).

OK, so UR can transfer to United but not AA, right?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: December 03, 2015, 02:42:02 PM »
correct.  if you need to get into oneworld with the ur's you can transfer to ba avios, but that's not a great option for international flying.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: December 03, 2015, 02:43:18 PM »

well, i wouldn't do anything that would jeopardize my ability to get a csp and ink every 2 years.  so imo, it doesn't make any sense to just give up and shut yourself out on those to churn some crap hotel cards or whatever.

Does the clock start after you cancel?  Or from the time of your application?  Or other?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: December 03, 2015, 02:44:20 PM »
Does the clock start after you cancel?  Or from the time of your application?  Or other?

i'd bet from application, but i don't know for sure.  good question.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: December 03, 2015, 02:48:35 PM »

i'd bet from application, but i don't know for sure.  good question.

There's one card that you can't churn for a certain time after you cancel it. Which one was that???

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8186 on: December 03, 2015, 02:49:23 PM »
There's one card that you can't churn for a certain time after you cancel it. Which one was that???

citi.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: December 03, 2015, 02:49:54 PM »
since you last got the bonus emo. with amex it's cancellation (for biz cards you can actually churn).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: December 03, 2015, 02:50:21 PM »

citi.

and amex biz cards

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: December 03, 2015, 02:51:13 PM »
Ok I need to cancel my CSP.  Thanks sd.  But man oh man I just love that card. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8190 on: December 03, 2015, 02:52:34 PM »

I'm keeping my CSP and Freedom for actual spend usage and churning everything else. to each their own though.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: December 03, 2015, 03:00:21 PM »
i'm super proud of my last booking.  it took a lot of work, but i personally think i kicked a little ass, given i was starting from a position of ignorance.

btw:

1 fresno-granada-//-madrid-paris-rome-fresno ticket, 1 fresno-mexico city-granada-//-madrid-paris-rome-fresno ticket and 1 mexico city-granada-//-madrid-paris-rome-mexico city.

80k aa, 77.5k ua, about 22k ur plus about $650 in fees.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: December 03, 2015, 03:04:55 PM »

btw:

1 fresno-granada-//-madrid-paris-rome-fresno ticket, 1 fresno-mexico city-granada-//-madrid-paris-rome-fresno ticket and 1 mexico city-granada-//-madrid-paris-rome-mexico city.

that is one hot piece of ass booking

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: December 03, 2015, 03:06:16 PM »
:surprised:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: December 03, 2015, 03:13:05 PM »

I'm keeping my CSP and Freedom for actual spend usage and churning everything else. to each their own though.

yeah, i can see that, if you have high spend.  for me, getting the bonus on 5 cards/year will use most of my spend, at least most of the spend i can count on having, so maximizing the value of the bonuses is the most important variable (i think, maybe i'm missing out on something like the biz amex cards you mentioned that would be more lucrative.  i've never looked into those.).

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: December 03, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »

holy crap.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: December 03, 2015, 03:31:23 PM »
granada is like barely west of madrid  :love:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: December 03, 2015, 09:43:22 PM »

Is it just applications in the last 24 months or does the total number of cards you have come into account (i.e. if I have some cards that I've had for more than 2 years). Also, do you think that store credit cards count, like my Victoria's Secret card?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: December 03, 2015, 10:13:48 PM »
Is there a good bonus on a United card right now? I need a link.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8199 on: December 04, 2015, 12:55:02 AM »

Is it just applications in the last 24 months or does the total number of cards you have come into account (i.e. if I have some cards that I've had for more than 2 years). Also, do you think that store credit cards count, like my Victoria's Secret card?

just bonuses (per sd) in the last 24 months, older cards don't count.  i don't think most store cards count, but don't hold me to that.  also cards that only to report to a credit agency that chase doesn't query wouldn't count.  so, if you wanted to google for a bit you could prolly find some more cards that wouldn't count.

here's the link for all cards.  whenever you want a card, just go there to look up what's available (prolly should be on the first page, if it isn't already.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1177334-special-credit-card-offers-master-thread-subscription.html