Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004036 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #7550 on: July 31, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
Sapphire gets you united and SW

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #7551 on: July 31, 2015, 06:56:48 PM »
Sapphire gets you united and SW

Ya, but I meant that I was wishing the Diners had a 1 to 1 with both of those as well, just so I could really double down on those two.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: July 31, 2015, 06:58:49 PM »

actually, after doing some flyertalk searches I think this should work for everyone

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/premier-rewards-gold/25330

open an incognito tab and keep entering this link until you get hit with the 50k offer after $1k spend

Got it on the first try.  Applied.  Thanks, SD!

SD, I hit the email saying I was approved, but it didn't RE-mention the 50K bonus in the email.  Does it normally?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: July 31, 2015, 07:09:46 PM »
SD, I hit the email saying I was approved, but it didn't RE-mention the 50K bonus in the email.  Does it normally?

no, they never do.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: July 31, 2015, 09:29:44 PM »
This thread has changed my life in a small but meaningful way. It's great to know that by applying for 3 credit cards and otherwise living my life normally , I now have 3 or 4 (or 5, maybe 6?) free roundtrips on deck whenever I need them.

I'm knocking out my AmEx spend right now and tried to use it this morning.  The cashier apologetically asked if I had any other card.  With a wink and a nod, I produced my CSP and it was all good. And then my cheeks jiggled as I laughed, like a bowl full of jelly.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: July 31, 2015, 09:33:04 PM »
This thread has changed my life in a small but meaningful way. It's great to know that by applying for 3 credit cards and otherwise living my life normally , I now have 3 or 4 (or 5, maybe 6?) free roundtrips on deck whenever I need them.

I'm knocking out my AmEx spend right now and tried to use it this morning.  The cashier apologetically asked if I had any other card.  With a wink and a nod, I produced my CSP and it was all good. And then my cheeks jiggled as I laughed, like a bowl full of jelly.

:thumbsup:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: July 31, 2015, 09:35:02 PM »
This is what it's all about, sd.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: July 31, 2015, 09:36:33 PM »
This is what it's all about, sd.

YES!

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: August 01, 2015, 09:28:31 AM »
I pay the dumb fee on my dumb work Amex and they won't let me use my own cards

I get like $400 in Home Depot gift cards out of the dumb Amex every year and every year I think I'll stop paying the fee but then I don't because I'm lazy

if I could use my Marriott card for hotels I'd get like an extra 100k points a year
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: August 01, 2015, 09:32:48 AM »
I pay the dumb fee on my dumb work Amex and they won't let me use my own cards

I get like $400 in Home Depot gift cards out of the dumb Amex every year and every year I think I'll stop paying the fee but then I don't because I'm lazy

if I could use my Marriott card for hotels I'd get like an extra 100k points a year

you can transfer those points to BA or Delta or SPG or other places more valuable than getting gift cards fwiw. actually, iirc the SPG transfer is only 2:1 so it's not a lot more valuable for that but probably still a better deal.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7560 on: August 01, 2015, 09:35:33 AM »
I've never really looked at it beyond the HD cards because I'm an HD addict but I will def transfer to SPG moving forward

another thing I wish my work would do is book me at SPG or Hyatt properties. I don't mind Marriott but their rewards program and overall guest experience isn't at the same level. the thing I do like about Marriott is they're huge and in every city in the world.
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7561 on: August 01, 2015, 09:41:17 AM »
Interestingly, I think we're fighting with Marriott and took them off our "preferred" list. We can book anywhere we want but the suggest you use preferred hotels. All the other major brands are preferred.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7562 on: August 01, 2015, 12:28:24 PM »
they've been dicks this year. they didn't run a summer bonus and they've increased our corporate rates. we have the same system where all brands are "preferred" but I don't book my own hotels and my department uses Marriott almost exclusively. they treat me pretty well on personal trips so I don't complain too much.
emaw

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7563 on: August 03, 2015, 09:12:11 PM »
Alright.  See yall in a couple months.

Ok, back.  Just finished Citi MC AA (updated below).

Any suggestions for the next one?

Need another....

YTD I've gone through both SW cards, Freedom, CSP (2nd time through), and HHonors AmEx (really only got that one b/c I needed to earn points so the 120k I had wouldn't expire).  And now Citi AA MC.

Recently cancelled (so probably out of consideration), AA AmEx, Chase Hyatt, Chase BA, Chase Marriott.

Also still have Barclays Mastercard World Arrival (think that's what it's called) and the replacement for the US Airways card after the merger... whatever that was they sent me.

Still haven't opened any small business cards, b/c i'm not a small business and the one time i tried i got denied, so i'm kinda worried about trying again.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7564 on: August 04, 2015, 07:55:54 AM »
Hilton 75k citi card? not worth a ton but it's a higher than usual offer with minimal spend and no fee. Should be long enough since your last citi app to get another. Would top up that HH balance and they do become slightly more valuable when you start booking with the 5th night free on larger redemptions. Amex Gold 50k MR points card is another good option. Fee waived first year.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7565 on: August 04, 2015, 09:05:03 AM »
Hilton 75k citi card? not worth a ton but it's a higher than usual offer with minimal spend and no fee. Should be long enough since your last citi app to get another. Would top up that HH balance and they do become slightly more valuable when you start booking with the 5th night free on larger redemptions. Amex Gold 50k MR points card is another good option. Fee waived first year.

Thanks, SD.   I'll do the Hilton 75k, but then I'll be looking for another soon w/ that easy spend.    Was there a link to AmEx 50k that was working?  Clicked on one last night and Googled today and only got 25k.  Also, I've have never had any MR points.  Good to start I guess, but will 50k do anything for me?

Also - should I be worried about the 5 credit card app limit discussion that was had earlier.  I want to ignore it so much, b/c I don't want any of this to ever stop.  But should I be worried? :ohno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7566 on: August 04, 2015, 09:40:11 AM »
No, don't be worried. You already have the proprietary chase cards. MR points transfer to other programs. Make sure you are using an incognito browser session when you hit the link.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7567 on: August 04, 2015, 09:56:14 AM »
No, don't be worried. You already have the proprietary chase cards. MR points transfer to other programs. Make sure you are using an incognito browser session when you hit the link.

What are MR points? Everytime I read it as MIR points and I wonder why MIR has his own credit card points system.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7568 on: August 04, 2015, 09:57:34 AM »

What are MR points? Everytime I read it as MIR points and I wonder why MIR has his own credit card points system.

Amex version of UR points

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/myca/loyalty/us/catalog/mrhome.do

you can do similar things with them as UR, the best option being transferring them to their partner programs

http://catalogue.membershiprewards.ca/l2Category.mtw?categoryName=ca_frequent_traveller_participants

URs are better because they have better transfer partners (United and Hyatt) but MRs are still good/flexible

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7569 on: August 04, 2015, 10:02:29 AM »

Ohh, I was right clicking the link to open in a Richie Incogniton window, but I had to open this thread in a Richie then open link and worked 1st time.  Got both HHonors and Gold AmEx.  Good to go for a few months.  Be back around late October, fellas.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7570 on: August 04, 2015, 11:57:59 AM »

you can do similar things with them as UR, the best option being transferring them to their partner programs

http://catalogue.membershiprewards.ca/l2Category.mtw?categoryName=ca_frequent_traveller_participants

URs are better because they have better transfer partners (United and Hyatt) but MRs are still good/flexible
@MrsGooch we have a crap ton of MR's from the house remodel.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7571 on: August 04, 2015, 01:16:11 PM »

@MrsGooch we have a crap ton of MR's from the house remodel.

Yeah, I just didn't know what the term MR was (Membership Rewards).

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7572 on: August 04, 2015, 04:48:56 PM »
i forgot to cancel an old citi aa mc and just got charged the fee. can i talk them out of it?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7573 on: August 04, 2015, 04:55:51 PM »
i forgot to cancel an old citi aa mc and just got charged the fee. can i talk them out of it?

pretty sure I remember reading earlier in this thread you can call within 30 days to cancel card and get fee waived/refunded.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7574 on: August 04, 2015, 04:56:50 PM »

pretty sure I remember reading earlier in this thread you can call within 30 days to cancel card and get fee waived/refunded.

:pray: