Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1005118 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #7325 on: June 30, 2015, 12:38:33 PM »
I need a Sapphire referral link since Mrs. Gooch apparently doesn't want to keep the referral points in "the family".

Just had some unexpected expenses come up and I'd like to spread them out over about a year on a 0% APR card.

I picked the Chase Freedom card. 0% APR for 15 months, no annual fee, $100 activation bonus, another $25 bonus for first authorized user, 1% cash back on all purchases, and 5% cash back on quarterly rolling categories.

Seemed llike the best combination of no interest, cash back, and activation bonuses. Thoughts?

It's a good card. They periodically have a 20k bonus ($200) but not right now. You should get a Chase Sapphire Preferred or a Chase Ink business card to go with it though. Those points with the Freedom are only worth 1 cent a piece but when you have an Ink or Sapphire you can transfer the Freedom UR points to the Ink or Sapphire and then use them for much more valuable stuff. Like transferring to Hyatt, United, Southwest, etc. or even just booking travel for 1.25 cents per point (I would never do this because you can easily get 2+ cents per point by transferring to the partners but just wanted to use it as an example of ways to get more value). Also, you can get 40k points from signing up and meeting spend on the Sapphire or 60k with the Ink. Here is my Sapphire referral link if you want it. I can also get you an Ink one if you want a business card. I have all three.

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?PID=CFFD2&SPID=FCCP&CELL=6RLJ&MSC=1495044615

LINK^

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: June 30, 2015, 12:38:58 PM »
If Gooch has a SPG account but I don't, can I book a hotel room using his SPG account if he is not going to be there? (Like do they want to see the ID of the SPG member or is it automatically going to put the reservation in his name?)

yes, you'll have to call them to book

Well I just went ahead and created my own SPG account. THE FAQs said you can transfer points between accounts as long as you have the same address

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: June 30, 2015, 12:40:16 PM »
If Gooch has a SPG account but I don't, can I book a hotel room using his SPG account if he is not going to be there? (Like do they want to see the ID of the SPG member or is it automatically going to put the reservation in his name?)

Well I just went ahead and created my own SPG account. THE FAQs said you can transfer points between accounts as long as you have the same address

yep

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: June 30, 2015, 12:40:27 PM »

Keep your grubby little mits off of my SPG points! :shakesfist:

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: June 30, 2015, 12:41:40 PM »
I just cancelled that Sapphire less than 12 hours ago. I had that card right at two years. I can churn it now right?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: June 30, 2015, 12:43:15 PM »
I just cancelled that Sapphire less than 12 hours ago. I had that card right at two years. I can churn it now right?

if it's been 2 years since you got the bonus then you can

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: June 30, 2015, 12:43:29 PM »

Use this link...
Earn 40,000 bonus points with Chase Sapphire Preferred®. Apply before 10/22/2015 at https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?PID=CFFD2&SPID=FDY7&CELL=6RKF&MSC=1520888478

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: June 30, 2015, 12:45:46 PM »

WAIT WAIT WAIT!

What if it has been 2 years since you applied for the card but MAYBE not 2 years since the points were applied to the account?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: June 30, 2015, 12:48:03 PM »

I was trying to get you some points for a hotel stay that I am paying for.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: June 30, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »

I was trying to get you some points for a hotel stay that I am paying for.
Who pays for hotel stays?

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7335 on: June 30, 2015, 12:50:51 PM »
Anybody know of a United offer that does not suck? That would pair nicely with transferring UR's for flights.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7336 on: June 30, 2015, 12:53:50 PM »
Anybody know of a United offer that does not suck? That would pair nicely with transferring UR's for flights.

I think it's only 30k now. Don't get it until it's 50k.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7337 on: June 30, 2015, 12:59:01 PM »
I have a large purchase to make and could knock out the spend immediately so was looking for something other that another Sapphire but I might just have to go with that.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: June 30, 2015, 12:59:32 PM »

WAIT WAIT WAIT!

What if it has been 2 years since you applied for the card but MAYBE not 2 years since the points were applied to the account?

OK, the points posted in the statement closing 6/6/13....Should he wait until July to apply?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: June 30, 2015, 01:01:51 PM »
there is are targeted 50k offers.  you can check to see if you're targeted by following the linked application on the flyertalk thread.  or i think also by logging into your united account.

there are 50-60-70k business card offers (different levels may be targeted, not sure).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1177334-special-credit-card-offers-master-thread-subscription.html
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7340 on: June 30, 2015, 01:05:03 PM »
there is are targeted 50k offers.  you can check to see if you're targeted by following the linked application on the flyertalk thread.  or i think also by logging into your united account.

there are 50-60-70k business card offers (different levels may be targeted, not sure).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1177334-special-credit-card-offers-master-thread-subscription.html
I don't even have a United account. Never used them as I have been flush with AA, Southwest and Avios.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7341 on: June 30, 2015, 01:09:27 PM »
you could still get the 50k business.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7342 on: July 01, 2015, 12:23:19 PM »
Is it normal to not get instant approval on a business card? The thing said it may take up to 30 business days for approval.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7343 on: July 01, 2015, 12:36:20 PM »
Is it normal to not get instant approval on a business card? The thing said it may take up to 30 business days for approval.

sometimes. sometimes not. chase has some weird rules and has recently been kind of a dick about them. you can call them right now and talk to them and tell them to approve it though. they'll ask you some questions about your business and junk so be prepared to talk about how much crap you sell on EBay or the message board you own or whatever.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7344 on: July 01, 2015, 12:38:29 PM »

sometimes. sometimes not. chase has some weird rules and has recently been kind of a dick about them. you can call them right now and talk to them and tell them to approve it though. they'll ask you some questions about your business and junk so be prepared to talk about how much crap you sell on EBay or the message board you own or whatever.

OMG, how is he going to explain a business named GOOCH?  :lol:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7345 on: July 01, 2015, 12:40:13 PM »
it's his nickname so that's what he named his company that sells crap on ebay.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7346 on: July 01, 2015, 12:55:20 PM »
call in, don't wait for them to approve it on their own.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7349 on: July 01, 2015, 02:09:56 PM »
It's, like, those 75k are worth WAY more than $450 and throw in Admirals club access which is great and worth a lot if you travel a lot and it all makes sense. The $7,500 spend in 3 months is high but doable. I just have a hard time pulling the trigger on stuff with that much up front cost even though my brain says to quit being a dumbass and do it.