Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1005390 times)

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #7275 on: June 24, 2015, 08:41:46 AM »
does having a billion cards affect your credit in a bad way?  probably been covered before.

Also, should I lower my credit limits? How much is too much?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: June 24, 2015, 08:52:03 AM »
does having a billion cards affect your credit in a bad way?  probably been covered before.

Also, should I lower my credit limits? How much is too much?

more like good way, no unless a bank won't give you another card because you already have too much credit with them (LOOKING AT YOU CHASE)

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: June 24, 2015, 08:59:05 AM »
that's kind of what I was thinking, if you are paying them all of each month, that would seem like a healthy use of credit, but the literature out on the 'webs kind of says the opposite.  I was interested in hearing from you steve dave, since you are the king of credit cards, and just acquired a new house.  a bigger house will probably be in my short term future and just wanted to make sure these cards wouldn't impact the amount we'd be approved for.  but i'm guessing other factors, notably income, is probably a bigger factor.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: June 24, 2015, 11:54:52 AM »
Yeah, go nuts

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: June 25, 2015, 03:01:42 PM »
the only real score points impact comes from "average age of credit" stats. just keep some old free cards open to adjust for the effect.

credit is bullsit anyway. once you get your house and car locked down, just go nuts

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: June 25, 2015, 03:06:49 PM »
the only real score points impact comes from "average age of credit" stats. just keep some old free cards open to adjust for the effect.

credit is bullsit anyway. once you get your house and car locked down, just go nuts

So, just keep my Freedom card until I die?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: June 25, 2015, 03:08:09 PM »

the only reason you wouldn't do this is if you want to get the sign up bonus again in 2 years. other then that, yes.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: June 25, 2015, 03:11:03 PM »
if you only have a few cards, go ahead and (over time) open up a few no annual few cards with non chase, non citi banks.  it immediately helps your credit utilization % and over time it'll help your average account length.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: June 25, 2015, 03:11:25 PM »

the only reason you wouldn't do this is if you want to get the sign up bonus again in 2 years. other then that, yes.

Newb Q:  As long as it has been whatever period of time (18 months, 24 months, whatever) since you received the bonus, can you basically cancel a card and then turn around and reapply the next day to get the bonus?  Or does a card need to be cancelled for some period of time before you are eligible for the bonus again?  Or does it vary substantially depending on the card/contract?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: June 25, 2015, 03:20:06 PM »

Newb Q:  As long as it has been whatever period of time (18 months, 24 months, whatever) since you received the bonus, can you basically cancel a card and then turn around and reapply the next day to get the bonus?  Or does a card need to be cancelled for some period of time before you are eligible for the bonus again?  Or does it vary substantially depending on the card/contract?

yes, it just has to be that amount of time since you had the bonus with chase. have to have cancelled the card but can almost immediately re-apply. different banks are different though. some say it has to be so long since you had the card (Amex business cards). some let you get the bonus on the same card that you still have open.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: June 25, 2015, 03:48:29 PM »
citi is now from when you cancel.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: June 25, 2015, 03:53:15 PM »
citi is now from when you cancel.

So you have to wait 18 months after you cancel?

Here's what the AA card says...
"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard® opened or closed in the past 18 months."

So does that mean you could still get the new bonus if you don't cancel the card, as long as you opened it 18+ months ago?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 03:56:59 PM by Mrs. Gooch »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: June 25, 2015, 03:56:19 PM »
I had Ms. wacky sign up for the premier sw card. She gets 50,000 points once we hit 2K. Our apt ppl actually let us use the card the last two months if we paid a $20 fee to do it. It was well worth it. Marco Island here we come in August.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: June 25, 2015, 04:12:21 PM »
So does that mean you could still get the new bonus if you don't cancel the card, as long as you opened it 18+ months ago?

no.

American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles can be earned by new Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard® cardmembers approved through this offer.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: June 25, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »

no.

American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles can be earned by new Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard® cardmembers approved through this offer.

Well that would mean you can never get it again if you have had that card before...

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7290 on: June 25, 2015, 04:15:59 PM »
except that they state that they will consider you new if it's been 18 months since you last opened or closed an account.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: June 25, 2015, 04:54:04 PM »
I had Ms. wacky sign up for the premier sw card. She gets 50,000 points once we hit 2K. Our apt ppl actually let us use the card the last two months if we paid a $20 fee to do it. It was well worth it. Marco Island here we come in August.

Is she doubling up on cards to get the Companion Pass? She should really do that.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: June 25, 2015, 05:42:06 PM »

Is she doubling up on cards to get the Companion Pass? She should really do that.
hmmm... Maybe we should look into that.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: June 25, 2015, 06:05:27 PM »
no maybe about it, wacks

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: June 25, 2015, 06:11:36 PM »
 :thumbs:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: June 25, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
so the SW shopping portal worked! Got the companion pass! But the flight I wanted to use it on is sold out and I'm afraid to cancel one of the passengers and risk losing the spot. oh well.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: June 25, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »

so the SW shopping portal worked! Got the companion pass! But the flight I wanted to use it on is sold out and I'm afraid to cancel one of the passengers and risk losing the spot. oh well.

steve dave's advice helped another person!

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: June 25, 2015, 08:02:07 PM »
except that they state that they will consider you new if it's been 18 months since you last opened or closed an account.

Ok so Gooch got that AA Citi card in February. So should he cancel now so that the 18 month clock starts now? But then he would have had that card a really short time so that will be bad for his credit..... :runaway:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: June 25, 2015, 08:17:35 PM »

Ok so Gooch got that AA Citi card in February. So should he cancel now so that the 18 month clock starts now? But then he would have had that card a really short time so that will be bad for his credit..... :runaway:

if he has the points, cancel. it won't hurt his credit.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: June 25, 2015, 09:09:51 PM »
So, along those same lines. If I have a card with an annual fee that I got strictly for the bonus, should I just cut it loose after the points hit my account? Is it better to wait 11 months and then cancel if I'm not planning on getting it again, or if there is no restrictions regarding churning on that particular card? For example, I'm going to get the Companion Pass next month on like the 17th or 18th, once I've confirmed that I have it do I just cancel those cards?
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang