Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1004717 times)

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #7225 on: June 18, 2015, 08:43:59 AM »
Mrs. WonderMeal and I went to the Hyatt in Beaver Creek, CO a little over a month ago and it was great. Category 7. Since you and Gooch are out of AA miles, that might be a good option for you.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: June 19, 2015, 07:37:22 AM »
that Kauai Grand Hyatt is just so, so great

if you have status with anyone Hyatt will match it FYI. used my Marriott status to get us a nice upgrade

Really? I'm a SPG Platinum and you're saying that Hyatt will match my status when/if I stay with them? How exactly does that work?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: June 19, 2015, 08:57:12 AM »
you guys i am staying at the hotel du louvre for free in like a month and i just can't stop thinking about it

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: June 19, 2015, 09:00:43 AM »
I'm currently sitting on a patio overlooking the water in Bar Harbor at the West Street Hotel and I paid for it with actual money. :sdeek:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: June 19, 2015, 09:29:09 AM »
that Kauai Grand Hyatt is just so, so great

if you have status with anyone Hyatt will match it FYI. used my Marriott status to get us a nice upgrade

Really? I'm a SPG Platinum and you're saying that Hyatt will match my status when/if I stay with them? How exactly does that work?

I called their customer service and said I'm a Marriott platinum do you guys match status and they said oh sure

I think it lasts like 60 days and you have to stay like 15 nights to keep it. I just did it right before our trip to get the upgrade in Kauai and didn't bother getting the stays to keep it.
emaw

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7230 on: June 19, 2015, 09:29:44 AM »
think I had to send them my Marriott statement confirming my status with them as well. it was easy
emaw

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: June 19, 2015, 10:12:29 AM »
Hyatt is really bitb and i am very happy kc is getting an elite af new one

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: June 19, 2015, 10:31:51 AM »
I bummed points on a trip to SC and am out of points for flights and hotels  :frown: any good quickie churn cards right now

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: June 19, 2015, 02:02:41 PM »
Got my Hyatt card last night. So the literature says that the Hyatt points don't expire as long as you are a Hyatt Credit Cardmember....so does that mean if I cancel my Hyatt credit card that I will lose all the points in my Hyatt account?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #7234 on: June 19, 2015, 03:12:53 PM »
No, and probably the only reason they wouldn't expire ever if you quit using it or staying at hyatts was because the annual fee would generate a small amount of points every year. That wording is misleading and stupid.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: June 19, 2015, 10:35:18 PM »
Hyatt is really bitb and i am very happy kc is getting an elite af new one

they are so, so great
emaw

Offline block256

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: June 21, 2015, 10:45:45 AM »
Hello all.  I need everyone's help to become a better traveler.  I am taking a trip to Europe next spring and hope to be able to use points to help me with airfare.  Here is my current situation:

1. I have a Southwest Rapid Rewards card.  I use this for almost everything I buy.  I put my rent and utilities on it every month as well as most of my gas and groceries purchases throughout the month.  I pay it off every month but always have a large balance on it because of how much I am using it.  If I get a new card would I be able to transfer my current balance to the new one and not have it hurt my credit or pay penalties?  This would help me with the spending minimum that I'm sure I'd need to get to with a new card to get miles.  Should I keep this card?  Cancel it?

2. I have an amex that is worthless.  I will be cancelling this card.

What card or cards should I get now that I could get some sweet miles built up to help with my plane ticket purchase?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: June 21, 2015, 11:50:19 AM »
eff.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: June 21, 2015, 01:27:32 PM »
Hello all.  I need everyone's help to become a better traveler.  I am taking a trip to Europe next spring and hope to be able to use points to help me with airfare.  Here is my current situation:

1. I have a Southwest Rapid Rewards card.  I use this for almost everything I buy.  I put my rent and utilities on it every month as well as most of my gas and groceries purchases throughout the month.  I pay it off every month but always have a large balance on it because of how much I am using it.  If I get a new card would I be able to transfer my current balance to the new one and not have it hurt my credit or pay penalties?  This would help me with the spending minimum that I'm sure I'd need to get to with a new card to get miles.  Should I keep this card?  Cancel it?

2. I have an amex that is worthless.  I will be cancelling this card.

What card or cards should I get now that I could get some sweet miles built up to help with my plane ticket purchase?

see if you can figure out what airline you want to fly on, then get the card for that airline.  assuming you can meet the spend for two cards, getting a united and a csp or an ink would probably be my first thought.  you could also maybe get (not sure on the time frame between applications) a aa gold and an aa plat.

don't cancel any cards (unless they have annual fees).  if they have annual fees, try calling to get the fees waived before cancelling.

i don't understand the question about transferring the balance.  if you pay it every month, why do you need to transfer it?  just pay it off like you do every other month.  balance transfers won't count towards the spend you need for the bonus.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: June 21, 2015, 02:08:11 PM »
I think he wanted to transfer the balance to meet the spend, which if that's what he meant, won't work.

agree with sys on figure out the airline first. do some phantom reward bookings for your desired flights and see who currently has award availability. then try to get those points asap and book that. let me know once you have that info and I can suggest more. most likely it's going to be a Citi AA card or two or a UR/United card or two.

Offline block256

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7240 on: June 22, 2015, 07:10:16 AM »
I think he wanted to transfer the balance to meet the spend, which if that's what he meant, won't work.

agree with sys on figure out the airline first. do some phantom reward bookings for your desired flights and see who currently has award availability. then try to get those points asap and book that. let me know once you have that info and I can suggest more. most likely it's going to be a Citi AA card or two or a UR/United card or two.

Thank you SD and Sys.  That is what I meant on the balance transfer, good to know that would not work.  Looking around, it appears that AA and United will be my go-to's.  FYI - I live in Houston so I will be flying out of a United hub.  I can meet the spend on two cards fairly easily so what would you suggest that has a large sign up bonus right now?

Also, Sys were you saying not to cancel my Amex?  Just leave it open and don't put any money on it?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: June 22, 2015, 07:21:09 AM »

Thank you SD and Sys.  That is what I meant on the balance transfer, good to know that would not work.  Looking around, it appears that AA and United will be my go-to's.  FYI - I live in Houston so I will be flying out of a United hub.  I can meet the spend on two cards fairly easily so what would you suggest that has a large sign up bonus right now?

Also, Sys were you saying not to cancel my Amex?  Just leave it open and don't put any money on it?

If you are in Houston your best bet will definitely be United. I'd get a couple UR cards and/or a United card. I'll post a referral link to the CSP card which will get you some UR points. UR can be transferred to United as well as a bunch of other programs (Southwest, Hyatt, Marriott, others) in case you don't end up needing them on United.

A lot of the time United will have a 50k offer on their card but currently it's only 30k. I'd get the CSP card I linked above now and maybe then get an Ink card which will also get you UR points.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: June 22, 2015, 07:23:41 AM »
Just had some unexpected expenses come up and I'd like to spread them out over about a year on a 0% APR card.

I picked the Chase Freedom card. 0% APR for 15 months, no annual fee, $100 activation bonus, another $25 bonus for first authorized user, 1% cash back on all purchases, and 5% cash back on quarterly rolling categories.

Seemed llike the best combination of no interest, cash back, and activation bonuses. Thoughts?

It's a good card. They periodically have a 20k bonus ($200) but not right now. You should get a Chase Sapphire Preferred or a Chase Ink business card to go with it though. Those points with the Freedom are only worth 1 cent a piece but when you have an Ink or Sapphire you can transfer the Freedom UR points to the Ink or Sapphire and then use them for much more valuable stuff. Like transferring to Hyatt, United, Southwest, etc. or even just booking travel for 1.25 cents per point (I would never do this because you can easily get 2+ cents per point by transferring to the partners but just wanted to use it as an example of ways to get more value). Also, you can get 40k points from signing up and meeting spend on the Sapphire or 60k with the Ink. Here is my Sapphire referral link if you want it. I can also get you an Ink one if you want a business card. I have all three.

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?PID=CFFD2&SPID=FCCP&CELL=6RLJ&MSC=1495044615

LINK^

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: June 22, 2015, 07:27:27 AM »
Chase 22,500 point Freedom offer is back. 20k UR points for spending $500 and 2,500 for adding an authorized user. Here is my referral link. KSU-W, if you haven't signed up for the Freedom already this is a better deal.

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?PID=CFFD2&SPID=FDXS&CELL=6RLJ&MSC=1514796484

And this is the Freedom card which is no fee and gets you 22,500 more UR points after only $500 in spend. They should be combined with the UR points of the CSP card and can then be transferred to United.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: June 22, 2015, 07:28:37 AM »
As a general rule you should have and use these two cards for all of your daily spend when you aren't making the min spend on another card to get a sign up bonus. The points are very valuable and the Freedom has 5 point bonus categories quarterly. 5x points on Gas starts in July.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7245 on: June 22, 2015, 07:29:15 AM »
I would hold off on getting the actual United card until the 50k is back.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: June 22, 2015, 07:51:16 AM »
ALSO, Chase doesn't like you to apply for multiple cards within a small amount of time so I'd get the Chase Sapphire Preferred first and work on the spend and then get the Freedom (or the UA card if it raises the bonus back to 50k by then).

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: June 22, 2015, 08:27:17 AM »
Need another....

YTD I've gone through both SW cards, Freedom, CSP (2nd time through), and HHonors AmEx (really only got that one b/c I needed to earn points so the 120k I had wouldn't expire).

Recently cancelled (so probably out of consideration), AA AmEx, Chase Hyatt, Chase BA, Chase Marriott.

Also still have Barclays Mastercard World Arrival (think that's what it's called) and the replacement for the US Airways card after the merger... whatever that was they sent me.

Still haven't opened any small business cards, b/c i'm not a small business and the one time i tried i got denied, so i'm kinda worried about trying again.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: June 22, 2015, 08:29:47 AM »

correct.  it helps your credit rating to have it open.  so only cancel if there is an annual fee.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: June 22, 2015, 08:38:19 AM »
Need another....

YTD I've gone through both SW cards, Freedom, CSP (2nd time through), and HHonors AmEx (really only got that one b/c I needed to earn points so the 120k I had wouldn't expire).

Recently cancelled (so probably out of consideration), AA AmEx, Chase Hyatt, Chase BA, Chase Marriott.

Also still have Barclays Mastercard World Arrival (think that's what it's called) and the replacement for the US Airways card after the merger... whatever that was they sent me.

Still haven't opened any small business cards, b/c i'm not a small business and the one time i tried i got denied, so i'm kinda worried about trying again.

congrats on whipping ass so far this year. get the other Citi AA card (don't remember if it's a visa or mc). or the 50k citi premier.