Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1001981 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #7175 on: June 09, 2015, 01:03:06 PM »
also hilton has some garbagey timeshare on the strip and I think the Tropicana is now considered a Doubletree or something

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: June 09, 2015, 01:08:41 PM »
Anyone know if the powers that be ever linked the SPG rewards with the Vegas strip hotels? I know that they were talking about linking MGM Grand and SPG rewards but i'm not sure if that ever went though...i'm going to Vegas soon and it would be hella nice to grab triple points on those stays.

mgm and all their properties are linked with hyatt. ceasars and all of theirs are linked with spg. they both have weird rules about some of their vegas partner properties not qualifying for some of their bonuses but doesn't hurt to check.

Good to know. I'll just do some checking when I arrive to see which chain I can get points added to.

also hilton has some garbagey timeshare on the strip and I think the Tropicana is now considered a Doubletree or something

SD, come on bud...the Tropicana? I'm not a poor!  :shakesfist:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: June 09, 2015, 01:10:58 PM »
Also, this is a bad transfer unless you are just topping off like rusty is doing.
It's still pretty bad because you can't transfer less than 10000 Marriott points (which only gets you 2000 sw points)

well, 10k Marriott points are only worth about $50 so it's not that terrible. also they credit pretty quickly iirc. like less than a week.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: June 09, 2015, 01:16:31 PM »
Also, this is a bad transfer unless you are just topping off like rusty is doing.
It's still pretty bad because you can't transfer less than 10000 Marriott points (which only gets you 2000 sw points)

well, 10k Marriott points are only worth about $50 so it's not that terrible. also they credit pretty quickly iirc. like less than a week.

I only have 4k Marriott points. Do transfers from someone else count to the companion pass?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: June 09, 2015, 01:17:06 PM »

I only have 4k Marriott points. Do transfers from someone else count to the companion pass?

no

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/07/top-1-ways-to-top-up-your-account-for-the-southwest-companion-pass/

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: June 09, 2015, 01:43:37 PM »

if your wife has a marriot account i think you can transfer her points to yours.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: June 11, 2015, 01:34:02 PM »
Just booked a trip to Costa Rica. Aside from +100k Avios I still have I am completely out of American miles for the first time since the inception of this thread. I feel rough ridin' naked.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
  • Future Shooter Jones W.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: June 15, 2015, 09:57:28 AM »
I have some Chase Rewards points on CSP and some on my Freedom card.  They're separated when I log in between the two, but I can transfer/combine them.   There isn't any difference as to which card the points are "on", is there?

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: June 15, 2015, 10:03:35 AM »
I have some Chase Rewards points on CSP and some on my Freedom card.  They're separated when I log in between the two, but I can transfer/combine them.   There isn't any difference as to which card the points are "on", is there?

yes. very big difference. you should put them on the CSP.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: June 15, 2015, 10:04:39 AM »

Thanks.   Main differences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7185 on: June 15, 2015, 10:07:33 AM »

Thanks.   Main differences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the specifics are above my pay grade for this thread but basically overall flexibility.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: June 15, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
Just had some unexpected expenses come up and I'd like to spread them out over about a year on a 0% APR card.

I picked the Chase Freedom card. 0% APR for 15 months, no annual fee, $100 activation bonus, another $25 bonus for first authorized user, 1% cash back on all purchases, and 5% cash back on quarterly rolling categories.

Seemed llike the best combination of no interest, cash back, and activation bonuses. Thoughts?

It's a good card. They periodically have a 20k bonus ($200) but not right now. You should get a Chase Sapphire Preferred or a Chase Ink business card to go with it though. Those points with the Freedom are only worth 1 cent a piece but when you have an Ink or Sapphire you can transfer the Freedom UR points to the Ink or Sapphire and then use them for much more valuable stuff. Like transferring to Hyatt, United, Southwest, etc. or even just booking travel for 1.25 cents per point (I would never do this because you can easily get 2+ cents per point by transferring to the partners but just wanted to use it as an example of ways to get more value). Also, you can get 40k points from signing up and meeting spend on the Sapphire or 60k with the Ink. Here is my Sapphire referral link if you want it. I can also get you an Ink one if you want a business card. I have all three.

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?PID=CFFD2&SPID=FCCP&CELL=6RLJ&MSC=1495044615

this is a better explanation.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: June 15, 2015, 07:09:47 PM »
Thinking it's time to get another card. My current card (set to expire soon) is through my local bank. With it being through my local bank, I don't get any perks at all.

With the card that I choose I think I would want cash back as the primary perk. I don't fly too often and my work doesn't really cause me to travel either. But I wouldn't be opposed to a card that offered a combo of cash and airline miles, or something else of value.

I see the advertisement for the Citi Double Cash Card that pays you 1% back when you buy and pay for items. Seems like a decent option.

Any other ideas?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: June 15, 2015, 07:13:52 PM »
No clue on cash back cards

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: June 15, 2015, 08:30:28 PM »
Cas, you should get whatever card Steve Dave recommends and travel while you're still young and probably not married

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: June 15, 2015, 10:46:56 PM »
AmEx Blue Cash Preferred gets you 6% on groceries, 3% on gas, and 1% on everything else.  If you have a lot of the everything else, then get the Citi Double card for that stuff.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: June 15, 2015, 10:47:20 PM »
after like six weeks my wife finally got her 50k miles from Barclays. after a lot of back and forth with both Barclays and AA, we finally identified that the miles hadn't properly credited because my wife has a hyphenated last name and Barclays apparently lacks the computing power to process names with hyphens. so they were sending the points to an account under "Wifes Name" and the AA/USAir account was under "Wifes-Name."  Barclays is apparently a company that believes people should only have letters in their names.

I tell this story because I know it will make sys happy.

anyway between the two of us we now finally have about 250k miles, plus I've got about 300k Marriott, so we're shopping for destinations for a couple trips in the next year.
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: June 16, 2015, 06:02:06 AM »
You sure that isn't a US to AA consolidation problem?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: June 16, 2015, 08:44:19 AM »
thank you, gfa.  that is a good barclays story.

cas, 2% is pretty good for cash back.  you might get better by fitting categories.  the real money is gonna come on signup bonuses, not on your spend though.  you shouldn't worry so much about what card gives you what for your spend.  instead, optimize your churn.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CrushNasty

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: June 16, 2015, 04:43:05 PM »
As a CSP cardholder, there is literally not a single reason I shouldn't get that card right now, right?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: June 16, 2015, 04:43:48 PM »
Correct sprac, see referral link I posted a little bit ago!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: June 16, 2015, 04:49:09 PM »
You're going to have to spoon-feed me if you want that sweet sweet referral juice. The only link I saw in my 15 second search was for the CSP. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: June 16, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »
i have the SW RR premier card. i see the SW RR Plus 50k offer. do i need to cancel the premier first, or does it matter?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: June 16, 2015, 05:00:28 PM »
So the Chase Freedom link says you'll get $200, will that just show up as 20k points once you spend the $500 minimum since i'd obviously want those instead of the $$?  And then you can transfer those points to a CSP account in online banking i'd assume?