Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1006351 times)

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #5725 on: July 28, 2014, 10:16:24 PM »
GFA are there any Chase branches in Dallas? If so, walk in to a branch and try to apply for that 70k Chase Ink card mentioned in the last page or so. Mrs. WM and I have almost used up all of our Ink applications, but that's almost certainly the best you can do w/ UR ever.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: July 28, 2014, 10:19:23 PM »
GFA are there any Chase branches in Dallas? If so, walk in to a branch and try to apply for that 70k Chase Ink card mentioned in the last page or so. Mrs. WM and I have almost used up all of our Ink applications, but that's almost certainly the best you can do w/ UR ever.

yes there are tons, I will prob try that

how many times can you do the ink?  I thought from reading this thread that chase was pretty much one and done, as in no churning?  did I make that up?
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: July 29, 2014, 06:26:28 AM »
The ink is different. Business card.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: July 29, 2014, 08:40:45 AM »
neat
emaw

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: July 29, 2014, 08:59:14 AM »
Here is something that I find interesting/ridiculous, for the same amount of AA points needed to fly to kc for the auburn game, I could fly direct to London next summer.  This makes it seem wasteful to use them to fly to kc.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5730 on: July 29, 2014, 09:03:04 AM »
Here is something that I find interesting/ridiculous, for the same amount of AA points needed to fly to kc for the auburn game, I could fly direct to London next summer.  This makes it seem wasteful to use them to fly to kc.

where are you flying from? I'm guessing you are comparing anytime fares to MCI v. saver fares to LHR.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: July 29, 2014, 09:11:07 AM »
I would think SW points would get you to KC easier. Maybe some avios

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: July 29, 2014, 09:12:01 AM »
I would think SW points would get you to KC easier. Maybe some avios

avios aren't going to help him if he's booking anytime fares

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: July 29, 2014, 09:13:10 AM »

where are you flying from? I'm guessing you are comparing anytime fares to MCI v. saver fares to LHR.

SAN.  It's about 45k points round trip. 

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: July 29, 2014, 09:15:12 AM »
24k pts on SW

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: July 29, 2014, 09:43:13 AM »

SAN.  It's about 45k points round trip.

what are you even talking about?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: July 29, 2014, 09:48:37 AM »
-there is wide open availability at 25k AA miles flying US or AS or a combo of the two
-how did you arrive at the 45k figure?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: July 29, 2014, 10:14:42 AM »
-there is wide open availability at 25k AA miles flying US or AS or a combo of the two
-how did you arrive at the 45k figure?

I need to fly out Wednesday sept 17 and return Sunday sept 21.  The only availablility on Wednesday is 20k AAnytime and Sunday is 25k business class hence the 45k. 

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: July 29, 2014, 10:44:36 AM »
Southwest Kim!!!  Direct flight Wednesday afternoon!

On another note, just cancelled my citi AA before annual fee with their online message center and applied for club Carlson and was instantly approved. Pondering adding another card right now. Already have ink, spg, csp, have done both SW and have companion

Should I do another? If so, which one?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: July 29, 2014, 10:45:03 AM »
OK, got it. yeah not having date flexibility sucks. but, there is wednesday space in saver

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: July 29, 2014, 10:46:37 AM »
Southwest Kim!!!  Direct flight Wednesday afternoon!

I'm guessing if he had SW miles he'd have checked that by now.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: July 29, 2014, 10:54:36 AM »
kim do you want a ride from the airport?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: July 30, 2014, 09:35:51 AM »
good breakdown of chase churnability

http://runningwithmiles.boardingarea.com/complete-list-churnable-chase-cards/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=complete-list-churnable-chase-cards

I believe the Inks are actually more churnable if you just set up a new business entity when applying but am not 100% on this

EDIT: This is another reason why it's helpful to keep a spreadsheet of your cards applied for with dates of application, bonus, cancellation, etc.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: July 30, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »

http://runningwithmiles.boardingarea.com/complete-list-churnable-chase-cards/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=complete-list-churnable-chase-cards

I believe the Inks are actually more churnable if you just set up a new business entity when applying but am not 100% on this

EDIT: This is another reason why it's helpful to keep a spreadsheet of your cards applied for with dates of application, bonus, cancellation, etc.

Do you have to use all the points/miles before you cancel?  How does that work?  If you're going to give an example go with Chase Freedom or Sapphire Preffered.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: July 30, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »

Do you have to use all the points/miles before you cancel?  How does that work?  If you're going to give an example go with Chase Freedom or Sapphire Preffered.

With hotel and airline points and miles, no. those aren't held by the card. the card company just buys shitloads of points from the carriers and moves them there when you earn them. with proprietary points like UR and MR, yes. it should never be an issue though. just transfer them to an airline or hotel program or transfer them to another UR or MR account. the ones that would get tricky are the barclay and cap one proprietary points. I don't know if they stick around or not. I think citi's thank you points actually do even if you close the account. I have a thank you account showing a small balance even though I closed the card years ago.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5745 on: July 30, 2014, 10:24:50 AM »

With hotel and airline points and miles, no. with proprietary points like UR and MR, yes. it should never be an issue though. just transfer them to an airline or hotel program or transfer them to another UR or MR account. the ones that would get tricky are the barclay and cap one proprietary points. I don't know if they stick around or not. I think citi's thank you points actually do even if you close the account. I have a thank you account showing a small balance even though I closed the card years ago.

So I could xfer my points from Chase Sapphire Preferred to my Chase Freedom and then churn the Sapphire?  That sounds like a good deal.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: July 30, 2014, 10:30:53 AM »
I don't think so (but maybe?). The Freedom isn't really UR points. They just become UR points if you have the Sapphire. You could do it the other way around though. I'd just get an Ink and transfer them to that. Or transfer them to United or Hyatt.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: July 30, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »
 :thumbs: :cheers:

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: July 30, 2014, 07:46:24 PM »
so since it's been three years since I got my swa card, I can cancel and apply and get the bonus again?  that's swell.

how many cards do you do at a time?  2 or 3 quarterly or what?
emaw

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: July 30, 2014, 08:45:19 PM »

holy crap!  why wasn't there a huge deal about this on flyertalk that was then mentioned in this thread?  this is huge.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."