Author Topic: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?  (Read 1005028 times)

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?
« Reply #5300 on: April 24, 2014, 12:28:36 PM »
alaska.  :sdeek:

i need pro tips for traveling to alaska.

Frontier hasn't gotten much love or attention in this thread, but 40,000 bonus miles (two roundtrip award tickets anywhere domestic [including AK]) after spending $500 in the first 90 days. 

They fly to Anchorage and Fairbanks. I think it trumps Alaska Air's offers last I checked.

http://www.flyfrontier.com/frequent-flyers/get-miles/earn-with-partners/credit-cards

I like Frontier fine but I wouldn't start collecting frontier miles unless you live in Denver. And then I'd prolly focus on United. The "two roundtrip" thing is pretty deceiving as well.

How so?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: April 24, 2014, 12:29:50 PM »
Frontier makes Southwest feel like SQ.

haha, yeah. they have some older birds from Midwest Air that still have first class seating though. and they don't technically have a "first class" product anymore so you can book those seats on a normal "choice" award ticket and fake feel bigtime.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: April 24, 2014, 12:32:40 PM »
They charge you for coffee.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: April 24, 2014, 12:33:34 PM »

Frontier hasn't gotten much love or attention in this thread, but 40,000 bonus miles (two roundtrip award tickets anywhere domestic [including AK]) after spending $500 in the first 90 days. 

They fly to Anchorage and Fairbanks. I think it trumps Alaska Air's offers last I checked.

http://www.flyfrontier.com/frequent-flyers/get-miles/earn-with-partners/credit-cards

I like Frontier fine but I wouldn't start collecting frontier miles unless you live in Denver. And then I'd prolly focus on United. The "two roundtrip" thing is pretty deceiving as well.

How so?

because their "standard" award availability is pretty garbagey (at least out of Omaha) and they black out certain routes and dates for it. I usually end up booking "choice". I fly them quite a bit and like them for who what they are. but if you're going to be collecting miles in a program I'd make it one that A) flys international B) has a first/biz product C) is in an alliance

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: April 24, 2014, 12:34:25 PM »
They charge you for coffee.

actually, another cool thing about frontier is that you get free checked bags (if you do that) and free booze if you book a "choice" award (which is usually the only type I can find availability on anyway).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: April 24, 2014, 12:35:59 PM »
They also made every person with a carry on put their luggage in the size checker DURING BOARDING. Is this normal for them?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: April 24, 2014, 12:38:51 PM »
They also made every person with a carry on put their luggage in the size checker DURING BOARDING. Is this normal for them?

not out of omaha. I have the largest acceptable domestic carry on (22") and it would normally never fit into one of those things and they never made me. I'll sometimes gate check it if I'm flying on a super pud bird though because I know there is no way in hell it's squeezing in there.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: April 24, 2014, 12:40:23 PM »
emawblast should have specified that it was work paid travel, with the goal of earning useful miles.  I thought he was going to Alaska for fun, once, and just wanted a free flight.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: April 24, 2014, 12:43:39 PM »
with that said, my current card situation: Chase Sapphire Preferred and i use that for pretty much everything. should i apply for another one to use for AA flights? if so, which?

I wouldn't worry about getting a different card for booking one airline though because the CSP gets you 2 points per travel dollar spent anyway.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: April 24, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »
steve do we have an uber thread or did we just post in here? cant find one. anyways, heard anything about lyft and their Omaha/kc launch?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5310 on: April 24, 2014, 12:48:18 PM »
Nome, AK

google it  :sdeek:

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: April 24, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »

How so?

because their "standard" award availability is pretty garbagey (at least out of Omaha) and they black out certain routes and dates for it. I usually end up booking "choice". I fly them quite a bit and like them for who what they are. but if you're going to be collecting miles in a program I'd make it one that A) flys international B) has a first/biz product C) is in an alliance

Ah. Ok.

I actually haven't flown them in years, and wouldn't advocate them for anything other than getting to specific western locations many other carriers don't service.

I got the aforementioned Mastercard in the chance that I needed to fly any family or friends into Bozeman or Jackson Hole for my wedding this summer. Haven't ended up having the need to use my miles yet, but in my explorations there hasn't been any blackout dates to those airports from MCI, ORD/MDW, LAX or PDX.

If I don't end up using them for the wedding, I was planning on a future trip to AK. So, I thought it might be an option for emawblast to consider.   

The intial offer seemed enticing enough to me, with Frontiers limitations, and seemed like a cheap way to get to AK, even if you have to pay $1.99 for coffee (with unlimited refills).  :users: (nevermind)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: April 24, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
Nome, AK

:ROFL:

You're going to die in a bush plane.  :frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: April 24, 2014, 01:01:52 PM »

How so?

Ah. Ok.

I actually haven't flown them in years, and wouldn't advocate them for anything other than getting to specific western locations many other carriers don't service.

I got the aforementioned Mastercard in the chance that I needed to fly any family or friends into Bozeman or Jackson Hole for my wedding this summer. Haven't ended up having the need to use my miles yet, but in my explorations there hasn't been any blackout dates to those airports from MCI, ORD/MDW, LAX or PDX.

If I don't end up using them for the wedding, I was planning on a future trip to AK. So, I thought it might be an option for emawblast to consider.   

The intial offer seemed enticing enough to me, with Frontiers limitations, and seemed like a cheap way to get to AK, even if you have to pay $1.99 for coffee (with unlimited refills).  :users: (nevermind)

yeah, mrs. dave and I have gotten that MC 4 times between the two of us. We're flying to SFO in July on frontier miles. their miles are good to have if you live somewhere they fly and don't mind flying through Denver everytime you fly them.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: April 24, 2014, 01:04:51 PM »
Nome, AK

you're going to have to stop twice. AK flys MCI-SEA-ANC-OME.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: April 24, 2014, 01:05:17 PM »
I'll book one of emawblast's flights to alaska with my remaining frontier miles and he can give me money (the sd/tonya method).

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: April 24, 2014, 01:07:48 PM »
I'll book one of emawblast's flights to alaska with my remaining frontier miles and he can give me money (the sd/tonya method).

:lol: I still get an email once a week with steve daves name on it telling me about frontier deals.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: April 24, 2014, 01:08:36 PM »

:lol: I still get an email once a week with steve daves name on it telling me about frontier deals.

:lol:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: April 24, 2014, 01:18:30 PM »
:lol:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: April 24, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »
Nome? Omg have you ever seen Balto?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: April 24, 2014, 04:36:44 PM »
Norfolk is pretty awesome, btw.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: April 24, 2014, 04:57:41 PM »
steve do we have an uber thread or did we just post in here? cant find one. anyways, heard anything about lyft and their Omaha/kc launch?

:impatient:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: April 24, 2014, 05:35:33 PM »
Nome? Omg have you ever seen Balto?

i think i watched Balto when i was a kid, noticed it while i was skimming the wikipedia earlier

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: April 24, 2014, 05:55:05 PM »
I can't imagine going someplace 15 times a year when it takes 20 hours to get there each way.

But a trip to Nome sounds pretty awesome.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: April 24, 2014, 06:00:04 PM »
upon further review, it looks like i will be making 2-3 trips up there. i'm pretty excited about it, not many people get to go places like this, and it's paid for.