Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4788930 times)

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #7525 on: November 11, 2013, 10:53:51 PM »
Royals.

Sorry. Blame centraltexascat and Tobias.  :whistle1:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7526 on: November 11, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: November 11, 2013, 11:18:34 PM »
2b option?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/free-agent-profile-juan-uribe.html

:daytonmouse,scurryingwithcheapjuanuribeunderhisarmlikeabracket:

Dude is an old third baseman. I like Bonifacio way more.   Also, if we're upgrading at all, it should with dudes who have legitimate power.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7528 on: November 12, 2013, 11:32:57 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9965361/marlon-byrd-agrees-two-year-deal-philadelphia-phillies

Not that Byrd was a high priority FA, but he was one of the top 15 offensive player available. The point is GMDM needs to get moving on some of these signings before our options become more limited and the leverage sways more to the players.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7529 on: November 12, 2013, 05:24:42 PM »
2b option?

Dude is an old third baseman. I like Bonifacio way more.   Also, if we're upgrading at all, it should with dudes who have legitimate power.

Gah! Stevesie just look at this!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7530 on: November 12, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »
2b option?

he's cheap, he can play multiple positions and he's been good at least some of the time.  pretty nice to add him to the infielder pile.  then let everybody compete to play.  maybe he plays 2nd, maybe he plays 3rd, maybe he sits.  doesn't matter, the royals need options.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7531 on: November 12, 2013, 11:04:46 PM »
2b option?

he's cheap, he can play multiple positions and he's been good at least some of the time.  pretty nice to add him to the infielder pile.  then let everybody compete to play.  maybe he plays 2nd, maybe he plays 3rd, maybe he sits.  doesn't matter, the royals need options.

For all these reasons.....but just so we're clear:

PA    BA       OPS     
Juan Uribe    426    .278    .769
Chris Getz    237    .220     .561
Moustakas    514    .233     .651
Bonifacio      461    .243     .625
Tejada         173     .288     .695
Johnson       173     .179     .458
Maxwell       262     .268     .764

So you may like Bonifacio "way more" for whatever reason you've thought about for 5 seconds, but it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.  Especially since you wanted more power.  There is not much debate that Uribe could handle 2b from time to time based upon his resume. 

But it gets better!  Uribe could platoon with Moose at 3rd (because even though Uribe hits RHP and LHP equally well, Moose is bad at both, but especially bad at LHP) AND Uribe could play some of the remaining games at 2b because Maxwell has a reverse split and Bonifacio just sucks at hitting in general.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: November 12, 2013, 11:34:13 PM »
2b option?

For all these reasons.....but just so we're clear:

PA    BA       OPS     
Juan Uribe    426    .278    .769
Chris Getz    237    .220     .561
Moustakas    514    .233     .651
Bonifacio      461    .243     .625
Tejada         173     .288     .695
Johnson       173     .179     .458
Maxwell       262     .268     .764

So you may like Bonifacio "way more" for whatever reason you've thought about for 5 seconds, but it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.  Especially since you wanted more power.  There is not much debate that Uribe could handle 2b from time to time based upon his resume. 

But it gets better!  Uribe could platoon with Moose at 3rd (because even though Uribe hits RHP and LHP equally well, Moose is bad at both, but especially bad at LHP) AND Uribe could play some of the remaining games at 2b because Maxwell has a reverse split and Bonifacio just sucks at hitting in general.

Bonifacio has a higher career BA than Uribe and hit .285 for the Royals last year.  Also, he he has great speed and can play a ton of positions.   Uribe is a small power upgrade (12 vs 3 hrs) but certainly doesn't have what I would call legitimate power.   

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7533 on: November 13, 2013, 08:30:13 AM »
Hitting 4x the number of HRs is more than a small upgrade, imo. 12 HRs isn't bad at all for a 2nd basemen. The Royals are going to have to spend way more money than they are willing to get a guy who goes yard regularly and plays 2nd base.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: November 13, 2013, 09:48:03 AM »
Hitting 4x the number of HRs is more than a small upgrade, imo. 12 HRs isn't bad at all for a 2nd basemen. The Royals are going to have to spend way more money than they are willing to get a guy who goes yard regularly and plays 2nd base.

Sadly, 12 HRs makes him one of our most powerful hitters. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: November 13, 2013, 09:52:08 AM »
If we extend it to the last three years, Uribe has worse numbers than the two candidates for him to really take much playing time from.    Also, the idea that Uribe is all of a sudden going to go back to playing the middle infield at age 34 after spending the last two years almost exclusively at the corners is absurd.  If he is going to play it is going to be at the expense of Moustakas who has had a similar, if not slightly better line in recent history, and inarguably has more upside than Uribe at this point.

I guess it comes down to whether you think he is an old player that suddenly found it again and will be able to sustain it, or if last year was a flash in the pan. 

PA        BA / OBP/ SLG / OPS
Uribe (age 34)        900     .237/.294/.360/.654
Bonifacio (28)       1376     .270/.332/.356/.688
Moustakas (24)     1493     .244/.296/.385/.681

Getz (29)               876     .251/.306/.301/.607
Tejada (39)            510     .255/.285/.343/.628
Escobar (26)         1888     .260/.294/.344/.638
Hosmer (24)         1841     .277/.322/.425/.756
Gordon (29)          2111     .287/.357/.459/.816
Butler (27)            2020    .297/.369/.462/.830

:adios:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: November 13, 2013, 09:53:02 AM »
Nevermind, just found this picture of Uribe, sign him immediately:

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: November 13, 2013, 01:09:42 PM »
If Dayton can get him cheap and those in the organization who are good at evaluating such things think he can still handle 2b then I think he'd be a good addition. The Moose, Uribe, Bonifacio setup at 2b/3b would probably be acceptable and preferable to something like way overpaying for Brandon Phillips.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: November 13, 2013, 01:10:16 PM »
Nevermind, just found this picture of Uribe, sign him immediately:

crap.   I guess just put me on team fence for now.   :Take the Bait:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: November 13, 2013, 01:11:13 PM »
 :love:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: November 13, 2013, 05:50:05 PM »
If we extend it to the last three years, Uribe has worse numbers than the two candidates for him to really take much playing time from.

whether it's uribe or not, they have to get someone they can play instead of moose, instead of bonifacio and instead of escobar.  because it's all but guaranteed that at least one of those players is going to be well below average.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #7541 on: November 13, 2013, 10:18:15 PM »
Uribe hasn't been able to play middle infield in like 5 years you tards.  Good grief. 

Re: power and uribe or Byrd:  HAVE YOU SEEN THE rough ridin' STADIUM WE PLAY IN??? You want to add two clodhoppers to play defense on the 80 acre square that is the K, because of ops? 

god I rough ridin' hate you people.  Just shut up
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: November 13, 2013, 10:22:49 PM »
I mean Jesus rough ridin' Christ, how is this even a point of conversation?  Absurd

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: November 13, 2013, 10:26:53 PM »
I mean Jesus rough ridin' Christ, how is this even a point of conversation?  Absurd

Pretty sure absurd was the word I used. Although he played a lot of SS 30 lbs ago in I think 2010. Good to have you on board FSD. That picture tho

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7544 on: November 13, 2013, 10:29:58 PM »

Pretty sure absurd was the word I used. Although he played a lot of SS 30 lbs ago in I think 2010. Good to have you on board FSD. That picture tho

You can have a statue at SS when you play at comisky tee ball park and hit 3 run dingers every 3 innings

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7545 on: November 13, 2013, 10:41:19 PM »
I love you guys but if uribe is a hope for your team then you are playing into the royals stereotype

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: November 13, 2013, 10:53:20 PM »
I love you guys but if uribe is a hope for your team then you are playing into the royals stereotype

If it was coached as, "here's a right handed bat that could pinch hit and play infield occassionally" I probably wouldn't have come down so hard.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: November 13, 2013, 10:57:18 PM »

If it was coached as, "here's a right handed bat that could pinch hit and play infield occassionally" I probably wouldn't have come down so hard.

That makes more sense. Any idea of him playing 100+ games at 2b is silliness. Also he isn't better than Moose.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: November 13, 2013, 11:03:26 PM »
I think people are purposefully misunderstanding what I wanted/expected out of Uribe.  He is going to be cheap and has a good chance to be at least as productive as the vortex of suck at 2b and 3b last year.  I don't think he should be the everyday 2b, that would be a mistake.  I do think he could fake it out there for 20 games or so considering that Johnson and Getz got most of the ABs there last year.

Uribe was also injured in 2 out of the last 3 seasons.  Didn't it seem weird that he only had 900 PA's?  His first healthy year in 3 years he played pretty well, that is why people are looking for him as a buy low option.

I don't think Bonifacio at 2b and Moose at 3b all year is going to cut it.  Knowing that and the Royals propensity for this type of deal, Uribe was thrown out there as a realistic, interesting option that the Royals could pursue to bring another guy in. 

Would be interested to hear other options or what people's perceptions are of next years team and expectations.  Are people suggesting standing pat?  If not, what alternatives are being proposed?

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: November 14, 2013, 12:49:09 PM »
Ervin Santana?@ErvinSantana_542h
I want to thank all KC Fans, staff and teammates for making me believe again.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.