Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4687110 times)

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #900 on: November 29, 2011, 01:41:27 PM »
Broxton seems like a decent pick-up.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 29, 2011, 01:53:18 PM »

Now Crow can go get torched as a starter again.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: November 29, 2011, 02:21:07 PM »

Do not want.  Crow needs to be in bullpen

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: November 29, 2011, 05:05:52 PM »

Tough crap.  That is what you are getting.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 30, 2011, 11:39:27 PM »

Tough crap.  That is what you are getting.

I found this amusing

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: December 09, 2011, 10:11:45 AM »
We play Pujols on opening day  :sdeek:
:adios:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 21, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
Yuni :blindfold:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 13, 2012, 09:19:24 PM »

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Online kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: February 02, 2012, 08:41:26 AM »
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Dozens of players in shorts and T-shirts navigated around each other in the weight room at the Royals' spring training complex Monday, like boats in a busy port. The right of way went to those in the midst of another set of pull-ups or a core exercise.

Spring training won't start for another three weeks for some of them -- longer, for others -- and there were 60 players at the complex, from major leaguers like Billy Butler to minor leaguers like Irving Falu.

David Lough had shared in the first hitting group of the morning, with Mitch Maier, Jarrod Dyson and Eric Hosmer, and Lough sprayed line drives over shortstop. He had wintered at his Ohio home, so there is a practical benefit for him to get to Arizona early -- to be outside. But he recalled that in the past, you might see only a handful of guys at the complex at the end of January.

Now there are 60 guys, an enormous turnout. Some, like Johnny Giavotella, are here because they have to be; Giavotella had some minor hip surgery and has been getting treatment. But a lot of the players are presumably absorbing at least some of the cost for food and housing to be here.

So many of them have played in the minor leagues together, and won in the minor leagues together, and there is a feeling among them that their time is coming in the big leagues. The Royals won 17 of their 29 games and ranked third in OPS in the American League for the month of September, as Hosmer and Mike Moustakas and others settled in.

The fact is that a lot is out of their control. The Detroit Tigers won the AL Central last year and just spent $214 million to sign one of the best power hitters on the planet -- about the same as the combined payroll of the Royals in the last four seasons. The Cleveland Indians, like Kansas City, have a young and developing team.

The Royals don't yet know what they'll get out of Jonathan Sanchez, as he shifts to the AL after pitching for the San Francisco Giants for the last six seasons, or from Aaron Crow, an All-Star reliever who is looking to transition into the rotation. Kansas City finished 29th in starters' ERA last year, and the Royals will not be relevant until that gets much better.

The Royals are expected to try to retain homegrown star Alex Gordon, who is coming off his best season. Hosmer is a rising star and time will tell whether the Royals invest in him in the way that the Tampa Bay Rays did with Evan Longoria and the Milwaukee Brewers did with Ryan Braun. Hosmer can't possibly know how he would react, he explains, until there's an offer on the table. The same is true for Moustakas, Danny Duffy, Wil Myers and some of the other high-end talents.

But the Royals appear completely invested in each other, for now, and you can see that in the way that Joakim Soria helps the younger players with their work, and the way that catcher Salvador Perez interacts with the others and talks about doing what he can to play in as many games as possible. Jeff Francoeur is not here yet, but he will be, and other players say that even if he hadn't hit in 2011 -- and he did, collecting 71 extra-base hits -- he would have been worth whatever he was paid, for the way that he made the best days even more fun and the worst days tolerable.

Francoeur came up with the Atlanta Braves, as did Kansas City GM Dayton Moore, so it's not a coincidence that the atmosphere around the team is full of respect and expectation and professionalism. As other players arrive in other camps, that won't be universal for the 30 teams.

It's a good start to 2012 for the Royals, who are laboring to end their 26-year streak of not making the playoffs.

The Fielder signing isn't going to change the Royals' plans, writes Rustin Dodd.

The Royals have gone green, with solar panels.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 15, 2012, 12:01:59 PM »
Anybody have insider?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story?id=7574220&_slug_=mlb-future-power-rankings-2012-nos-20-11&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb%2fstory%3fid%3d7574220%26_slug_%3dmlb-future-power-rankings-2012-nos-20-11

11 Kansas City Royals
LAST SEASON: 71-91 (fourth place AL Central)

The lowdown
For years we've been hearing about how the Royals are on the verge of competing. That time may finally be upon us, and they are the highest-ranked AL Central club on this list. With Eric Hosmer, Billy Butler and Alex Gordon, K.C. has one of the better young lineups around, and young arms such as Danny Duffy, Mike Montgomery and John Lamb are almost ready to make a big impact.

While they are never going to be huge free-agent spenders, there aren't any albatrosses on this club, which means GM Dayton Moore can pick his spots to spend to fill holes. Believe it or not, Kansas City is extremely close to returning to the playoffs for the first time since 1985. -- Buster Olney

The next step
After years of rebuilding and painstakingly nurturing the farm system, the Royals have the position players to win within the next five years. But which pitching prospects will emerge? If Montgomery and Lamb don't show ace stuff soon, Moore should package some prospects for a proven top-of-the-rotation starter. -- Jim Bowden

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: February 19, 2012, 10:55:59 PM »
really excited for baseball.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: February 20, 2012, 06:30:38 AM »
really excited for baseball.

Me too, Cire. Me too. You guys.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: February 20, 2012, 09:09:34 AM »
can't wait to pay attention for about a month and then totally lose interest  :thumbs:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: February 20, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »
can't wait to pay attention for about a month and then totally lose interest  :thumbs:

This.  Royals have pulled another snow job on you rubes.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 20, 2012, 10:13:22 AM »

:curse:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 20, 2012, 03:16:36 PM »

I know buddy.  I was where you are a few years back.

It has been far too long to be a conincidence now.  When Glass actually starts coming to games and quits acknowledging that the Royals have a $75 million salary ceiling I might start pretending we have a chance.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: February 20, 2012, 05:01:02 PM »

I know buddy.  I was where you are a few years back.

It has been far too long to be a conincidence now.  When Glass actually starts coming to games and quits acknowledging that the Royals have a $75 million salary ceiling I might start pretending we have a chance.

I know I should believe everything you just said. But it's SPRING.  :excited:

and i can't help myself  :facepalm:
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: February 20, 2012, 05:14:34 PM »
The Royals have enough this year to compete in the Central.  You gotta figure the Prince signing puts Detroit out in front of the others though.  The question is will KC ever spend enough to keep all these young studs they have.  The key isn't Glass loosening the purse strings, it's getting butts in the seats so he will be able to spend more.  The Twins didn't spend crap until they got  the new stadium and starting selling out the majority of their games.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 20, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
The Royals have enough this year to compete in the Central.  You gotta figure the Prince signing puts Detroit out in front of the others though.  The question is will KC ever spend enough to keep all these young studs they have.  The key isn't Glass loosening the purse strings, it's getting butts in the seats so he will be able to spend more.  The Twins didn't spend crap until they got  the new stadium and starting selling out the majority of their games.

Tigers win 100 games.  Royals could win 85 maybe.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 20, 2012, 06:49:21 PM »
On paper, the Tigers win 100, no question.  However, they seem to underachieve lately.  It's definitely not their coach's fault.  I still think that KC can compete with them and maybe compete for the wildcard(s) spot(s).

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: February 20, 2012, 07:37:18 PM »
On paper, the Tigers win 100, no question.  However, they seem to underachieve lately.  It's definitely not their coach's fault.  I still think that KC can compete with them and maybe compete for the wildcard(s) spot(s).

The problem is their defense.  Could be the worst ever.

dirks?/kelly?/young???                jackson                     boesch       

peralta       santiago?/raburn?/inge???   

cabrera                                                                             prince

avila

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 20, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »
So is there still time to get our jokes in?  :dunno:
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."