Author Topic: The Royals  (Read 4773675 times)

mocat and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Royals
« Reply #875 on: September 17, 2011, 02:32:54 PM »
Gorden is looking at a .300, 40+ doubles, 100 run season.  Not sure which one of you retards said he sucked but, well you're an idiot.  Also, Perez is hitting like .313 so whoever said he sucks is also an idiot.

Tried to read this post but kept scrolling up to the Alex Morgan pics after a couple words... so dnr

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 19, 2011, 07:56:35 AM »
whoever said gordon sucks is a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  check out the #s for this year.  top 10s all over the place

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2011-batting-leaders.shtml

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 19, 2011, 08:10:40 AM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=olney_buster&id=6988449&_slug_=mlb-eric-hosmer-emerging-leader-kansas-city-royals&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb%2fblog%3fname%3dolney_buster%26id%3d6988449%26_slug_%3dmlb-eric-hosmer-emerging-leader-kansas-city-royals

anyone have access care to share? tia
Playing first base is a great way to meet folks, and in his first year in the big leagues, Eric Hosmer has chatted with some of the travelers who have passed through. Welcome to the big leagues, Derek Jeter said to him, adding, "It's the same game you've always played, just more people watching."

Paul Konerko talked hitting with him, but no one has talked more about that than David Ortiz, who carried over a conversation from one day at first base to a 30-minute exchange of thoughts with Hosmer the next day. Hosmer listens, in keeping with one of the first nicknames bestowed upon the Kansas City Royals' rookie first baseman: The Sponge.

Hosmer asks the right questions. He says the right things. He does everything the right way. Jeff Francoeur had a conversation last year with Mark DeRosa of the San Francisco Giants, and DeRosa had told him about how different the San Francisco clubhouse was after Buster Posey arrived.

"It reminds me of that," Francoeur said the other day. "How many rookies come up and just take over the 4-spot [in the lineup]? I'd have given anything to be like Hos at age 21.

"I can't believe that he's 21 years old. From the first day he was up here, it's like he just took over."

Hosmer has played 119 games in the big leagues and is hitting .289 with 17 homers and 71 RBIs. That's not really what is striking to Francoeur and other Royals; it's how Hosmer learns, how he adapts. When the Royals prepared to play some interleague games early in the year, Francoeur mentioned to Hosmer that if a pitcher happened to line a ball to right field, Francoeur might look to throw to first base.

"That's only time I mentioned it," Francoeur said. "We didn't talk about it for two months."

Weeks later, Michael Taylor of the Oakland Athletics ripped a ball to right field, and as Francoeur rushed to the ball, he could see, peripherally, that Hosmer was moving toward first base -- to give Francoeur a target at first base. They nailed Taylor. Francoeur and Hosmer almost got Alexei Ramirez of the Chicago White Sox the other night with the same play, and Ramirez screamed angrily at Francoeur for trying it.

The play is only possible, Francoeur said, if Hosmer reads the ball quickly and anticipates. On Thursday against the White Sox, Tyler Flowers walked to give Chicago runners at first and second and two outs -- and that's when Hosmer called for a pickoff play at first, successfully, to end the inning.

During a 10-game hitting streak that started in August and finished in September, Hosmer had three hits against the Detroit Tigers on Aug. 31 and three more hits the next day. When Francoeur walked to the plate for an at-bat, Detroit catcher Alex Avila remarked with admiration about how tough Hosmer was to face. "Dude, we have tried everything against him," Avila said. "We've thrown the kitchen sink at him, and we can't get him out."

But Hosmer is hitting .245 against lefties with a .293 on-base percentage and a .610 OPS. "He's not really hitting lefties, but he will, because he'll learn how to do it," Francoeur said. "When he does, he's going to be killing it."

"It's going to be fun to watch."

The Royals have seven straight victories and counting.

There is an expectation among rival executives that the Royals will be very active this winter in their search for at least one front-line starting pitcher such as James Shields of the Rays -- for whom the Tampa Bay Rays were willing to take offers before the trade deadline. And Kansas City has prospects to deal.
The Royals hope good times are ahead for fans.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 19, 2011, 08:14:12 AM »
whoever said gordon sucks is a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  check out the #s for this year.  top 10s all over the place

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2011-batting-leaders.shtml

Bautista. :eek:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 19, 2011, 08:17:28 AM »
kitten_mittons :thumbs:
- chunkles

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 19, 2011, 10:34:58 AM »
Hosmer gives me wood.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 19, 2011, 11:25:38 AM »
The Royals sunshine pumping is hilarious.  This team is awful.  Next year?  Awful.  Year after?  Awful.

The pitching you dolts!  The pitching!

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 19, 2011, 11:56:49 AM »
The Royals sunshine pumping is hilarious.  This team is awful.  Next year?  Awful.  Year after?  Awful.

What a dumbass you are.  They are going to trade butler for a borderline 4-5 slot pitcher.  Then Gordon is gone for a SS and a pitching prospect.  Then we trade Hosmer for an ace.  Boom pitching problem solved.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 19, 2011, 03:12:26 PM »

What a dumbass you are.  They are going to trade butler for a borderline 4-5 slot pitcher.  Then Gordon is gone for a SS and a pitching prospect.  Then we trade Hosmer for an ace.  Boom pitching problem solved.

Who would want Butler?  serious question.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: September 19, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »
.292, 19, 90.  Lots of teams would want Butler but I doubt the Royals want to trade him anyway.  And I seriously doubt they'll let Gordon go anywhere and Escobar is the SS of the future.  I could see them trading Melky for a decent pitcher though and they have a ton of young pitchers to work with.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Crow and Holland in the rotation.  Duffy has some great stuff.  Teaford looked nice in his start a few days ago.  Paulino isn't exactly young but that dude has great stuff and should have a bunch more wins.  (If the Royals offense didn't eff him every start.)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: The Royals
« Reply #886 on: September 19, 2011, 03:36:56 PM »
.292, 19, 90.  Lots of teams would want Butler but I doubt the Royals want to trade him anyway.  And I seriously doubt they'll let Gordon go anywhere and Escobar is the SS of the future.  I could see them trading Melky for a decent pitcher though and they have a ton of young pitchers to work with.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Crow and Holland in the rotation.  Duffy has some great stuff.  Teaford looked nice in his start a few days ago.  Paulino isn't exactly young but that dude has great stuff and should have a bunch more wins.  (If the Royals offense didn't eff him every start.)

He cann
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: September 19, 2011, 03:54:41 PM »
yes, i was being facetious since that what the royals of the past would normally do.  And that doesn't make us a contender because all of our ready talent would be gone.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #888 on: November 05, 2011, 11:32:09 AM »
Jurrgens and Prado for Cain and Myers  (rumor)

Thoughts? 
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 05, 2011, 11:58:57 AM »

Thoughts? 

Heard it was offered by Atlanta and shot down. If DM trades Myers for Jurrgens he validates every hater he has. If he has his heart set on getting another Braves player there's plenty of other young pitchers in their organization who I would include Myers for, but Jurrgens is Hochever 2.0... he'll tease you with flashes of brilliance, be mediocre 50% of the time and suck the other 25%. Also the Royals have no need for Prado. I'd be ok with Cain for Jurrgens or Cain+ low level prospect but Myers should only be included if it's for a true #1 starter.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 05, 2011, 12:04:12 PM »

Thoughts? 

Heard it was offered by Atlanta and shot down. If DM trades Myers for Jurrgens he validates every hater he has. If he has his heart set on getting another Braves player there's plenty of other young pitchers in their organization who I would include Myers for, but Jurrgens is Hochever 2.0... he'll tease you with flashes of brilliance, be mediocre 50% of the time and suck the other 25%. Also the Royals have no need for Prado. I'd be ok with Cain for Jurrgens or Cain+ low level prospect but Myers should only be included if it's for a true #1 starter.

Concur.  Jurrjens actually strikes out less people than Hoch.  How he's been able to post such steller ERAs has to be a product of the NL

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 07, 2011, 04:36:37 PM »
Guess Cain will be the starting CF next year.  Not sure if we got enough for Melky though.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 07, 2011, 04:44:44 PM »
ehh, decent deal. We need to see if Cain is the real deal. Doesn't look like the Free Agent market for pitchers will be very good.
- chunkles

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 07, 2011, 04:46:43 PM »
If we get Sanchez from 2010 it is a great deal. Cain will greatly improve our defense also.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 07, 2011, 05:47:59 PM »
Melky plyed damn near GG defense last year.  Guess Cain probably has better range but I don't think he has Melky's arm.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 07, 2011, 06:07:09 PM »
uhmm.. everyone is saying how bad of a center fielder Melky is. No where near GG. He would be a decent corner tho.
- chunkles

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 07, 2011, 09:18:24 PM »
Melky had the 2nd most assists and fielded .991 (11th best, 5th best was .992)  Pretty solid.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 07, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Melky had the 2nd most assists and fielded .991 (11th best, 5th best was .992)  Pretty solid.

yeah, he had a good arm, and could catch balls he could run down. But he's not very fast and advanced metrics show he was a below average CF. His hitting made up for this so he was 1 or 2 Wins above replacement.
- chunkles

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 07, 2011, 10:43:12 PM »

NO, Melky is a below average CF and we have a big rough ridin' CF to cover.  Assists and fielding percentage aside, the eyes say he's slow and he has an average and not all that accurate of an arm.  Plus, he misses cuts and lets guys take bases more than a hopped up high school kid.  Melky's year this year offensively was a huge outlier.  J. Sanchez strikes a crap load of guys out, throws hard, but walks a lot.  He's a huge upgrade for our staff.  That doesn't even take into consideration the pitching prospect we got.  This trade, on paper, is a huge win for the Royals.

Not sure Cain is a shoe in for CF.  Dyson put up very similar numbers to Cain in AAA.  We also might sign a CF.  But , Cain is the most likely.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 07, 2011, 11:25:32 PM »
Considering how much time Cain got at the end of the season vs Dyson, I would assume Cain has the edge at this point.  I can't imagine them signing starter caliber OK, if Cain/Dyson isn't ready Meier can play CF.  Also, I'm glad they dealt Melky rather than Frenchy.  Melky didn't seem to be very tight with the team and Frenchy was a great leader in the clubhouse.