Author Topic: Gary Patterson  (Read 7932 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Gary Patterson
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2020, 05:06:00 AM »
I bet this exact thing happened a crap ton under Snyder 1.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This bugs the eff outta me, and I've spoken about it a lot. Just because Snyder is old and white doesn't mean he did crap like this. Making being racially insensitive something everyone does/did really minimizes the effect when it actually does happen. I know it isn't intentional, but it unnecessarily demonizes people and trivializes the need for people know this behavior isn't normal.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2020, 05:10:37 AM »
Using the word n-word has been unacceptable literally the entire time LHC Bill Snyder has been alive. I'd like to think that the man was civilized enough to never use that word. I really hope y'all don't think this is some impossible task.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2020, 05:29:49 AM »
i can't imagine snyder saying "n-word" but i also can't imagine him caring that his players said "nigga" in a private setting.

i respect patterson quite a bit for trying to police the use of that word on his team, and the more so within the dynamic of a white coach/black player.

oth, the thing where he's making fun of the player's girlfriend or whatever he was doing reads as a stereotype of the absolutely worst type of boundary overstepping coach and transitioning from the one to the other does make me question his motives in the way rusty mentions.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Gary Patterson
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2020, 06:07:01 AM »
I was thinking more of mangino/stoops/assistants. And not the EXACT scenario but Jesus, no hats, no ear rings, no dreads showing...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2020, 07:14:05 AM »
i can't imagine snyder saying "n-word" but i also can't imagine him caring that his players said "nigga" in a private setting.

i respect patterson quite a bit for trying to police the use of that word on his team, and the more so within the dynamic of a white coach/black player.

oth, the thing where he's making fun of the player's girlfriend or whatever he was doing reads as a stereotype of the absolutely worst type of boundary overstepping coach and transitioning from the one to the other does make me question his motives in the way rusty mentions.

Snyder would absolutely care about a player saying nigga during team meetings. I myself use the word nigga and I would have a problem with someone using it in a meeting that I'm running.

I was thinking more of mangino/stoops/assistants. And not the EXACT scenario but Jesus, no hats, no ear rings, no dreads showing...

Let's not assign that to anyone, until it's been proven that they've done it. Also worth noting that the no dreads showing was during the game only, dudes weren't walking around Vanier with those head covers on. Also no hats or earrings isn't race related at all, I grew up in western kansas and white boys loved nothing more than dirty baseball caps. White boys also wear earrings. I guarantee you Harry Trotter has at least one ear pierced.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2020, 07:21:24 AM »
Snyder would absolutely care about a player saying nigga during team meetings. I myself use the word nigga and I would have a problem with someone using it in a meeting that I'm running.

he didn't have a problem with players bouncing bricks off of puppies, so i think i'm on pretty firm ground in assuming he didn't give a crap about anything that was out of the public eye.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2020, 10:34:18 AM »

he didn't have a problem with players bouncing bricks off of puppies, so i think i'm on pretty firm ground in assuming he didn't give a crap about anything that was out of the public eye.
Were they doing that during meetings?

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2020, 10:55:02 AM »

That’s not a race thing at all imo. Was it even dreads only or simply long hair sticking out the back? I have no problem with a coach requiring professional conduct/conformity thing by these means. Tbh, it’s really beneficial, and it’s kind of a shame that this type of thing is going by the wayside.

The team should come first before individualism. I say this as a player who was high on individualism and would probably fight back against it myself. I didn’t know more than the coaches and neither do kids today.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2020, 10:59:12 AM »
Using the word n-word has been unacceptable literally the entire time LHC Bill Snyder has been alive. I'd like to think that the man was civilized enough to never use that word. I really hope y'all don't think this is some impossible task.

Agree that Snyder understands this, and always has. The guy got his start coaching in California (LA to be exact) in the freaking 60s, a year after the Watts Riots.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2020, 11:00:11 AM »
The dreads and durag bans are definitely race things. You could argue the jewelry ban is too

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2020, 11:18:15 AM »
The dreads and durag bans are definitely race things. You could argue the jewelry ban is too

I'm interested to know how not allowing long hair to hang out of the bottom of your helmet are "race things."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2020, 11:31:33 AM »

I'm interested to know how not allowing long hair to hang out of the bottom of your helmet are "race things."
How many white dudes do you think had to wear a hair net

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2020, 11:36:58 AM »

hair can only be this long

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2020, 11:46:47 AM »

How many white dudes had their hair hanging out of the back of their helmet?

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2020, 11:49:33 AM »
Did you know that it is legal to tackle a player by their hair, which is considered part of a player’s uniform and distinctly denotes such a tackle is not a horse collar?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2020, 11:54:32 AM »
Did you know that it is legal to tackle a player by their hair, which is considered part of a player’s uniform and distinctly denotes such a tackle is not a horse collar?

I believe that rule has changed within the last two or three years, but for the bulk of LHC Bill Snyder's time as a football coach, you are correct, you could tackle someone by their hair.  There was no policy at Kansas State against having deadlocks hanging out of your helmet. There was a rule banning hair from hanging out though. Durags were banned from the building just like baseball hats, cowboy hats, berets, stocking caps, derby hats, top hats, whatever.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2020, 11:56:27 AM »
were cornrows banned?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2020, 12:03:52 PM »
Except for the Meiers

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2020, 12:09:37 PM »
were cornrows banned?
Didn't have to go back far, Darreyl Patterson from '18

Looking at these headshots, it's pretty clear he wasn't dictating hairdos, there's some wild ones.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2020, 12:13:12 PM »
Except for the Meiers

Neither Shad or Kerry had their hair hanging below the top of their uniforms, they were neck length just below the bottom of the helmet but above the pads. There are pictures you can look at before you use false evidence to craft a nonexistent narrative.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2020, 12:27:49 PM »
were cornrows banned?
Didn't have to go back far, Darreyl Patterson from '18

Looking at these headshots, it's pretty clear he wasn't dictating hairdos, there's some wild ones.

yeah so the dreads legend is definitely false

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2020, 02:26:47 PM »
tcu kid kinda sounds like a little bitch

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2020, 11:20:32 PM »

Well Chris Cobb sure as crap did
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2020, 11:24:31 PM »

Well Chris Cobb sure as crap did

I have no idea who this is. The twitter search yielded a bunch of pictures of a bald white dude who lives in Kansas City and this picture from 1990

If we're going back to some unphotographed dude from Snyder's second year, it's safe to say he had the same hair rule for all players.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2020, 08:34:26 AM »
MIR, I'm not sure what you don't understand about Synder definitely being a malignant racist  :billdance:
:adios: