Author Topic: Mack Brown  (Read 88625 times)

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
Re: Mack Brown
« Reply #200 on: December 11, 2013, 07:12:29 PM »

Did you really just start a sports conversation talking about endowments, on this board? Are you a phog plant? Endowments, are you kidding me? Talking about money is stupid anyway, it isn't like Alabama isn't spending all of the money they need in football. People keep talking about money like he's at Ole Miss or something. Alabama prints their own money too. Did you not get my Bill Gates/Carlos Slim reference earlier?

Also when did a I say that UT shouldn't be in the conversation as a better program? Pretty sure I said that it is a testament to what Deloss Dodds has done at UT that we can have this conversation.  Pre Dodds and Mack people were comparing UT to aTm and Pig Aggie, before Saban most people still viewed Alabama as the best program in America. Saban wasn't leaving Miami for Arkansas.

I didn't start any conversation.  I responded to an ongoing discussion where you asked what Texas could provide that Alabama couldn't.  I was merely pointing out that the answer was a lot because of the amount of money they have and their willingness to spend it.  I thought you'd be able to deduce that but next time I'll be more clear.  I guess when you thought that Alabama had more wins and has been nationally relevant longer I should have known better.  And i'm not quite sure why you think talking about money is stupid.  It's a major driver in any coaches decision to take a different job.  Not necessarily the only one, but a major one.  Anyway, if Alabama is printing money, it's ones and fives while UT is printing fifties and hundreds.

Also, here's where you said that you don't think UT should be in the conversation or am I misinterpreting what you meant when you said

There is nothing that is measurable that shows that UT is a better program. Alabama has more titles, more wins, more coaches with national titles, has been nationally relevant longer,

UT historically before Mack Brown wasn't even considered a top 10 program

@lopakman

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 11, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »
So you take back the endowment thing, fair enough.

Also for the third time now, not sure how you missed it the first two times but among those cut and pasted sentences I typed this

Texas has done a great job of making itself a big boy and the fact that this conversation is being had is a testament to how incredible Deloss Dodds was as an AD.

Its not a better job than Alabama, its not a top 5 historical program, but I'd concede that its the 2nd best job in the country. My issue with this whole argument is that some act like UT is a much better job and the only substantial advantage that could even be argued is Austin vs. Tuscaloosa.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 11, 2013, 08:08:35 PM »
Never been to Tuscaloosa, how does it compare to Austin? I was under the impression Austin is amazing and everywhere in Alabama (except Gulf Shores) sucks.

Offline kstater

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 11, 2013, 08:16:42 PM »

So you take back the endowment thing, fair enough.

Also for the third time now, not sure how you missed it the first two times but among those cut and pasted sentences I typed this

Texas has done a great job of making itself a big boy and the fact that this conversation is being had is a testament to how incredible Deloss Dodds was as an AD.

Its not a better job than Alabama, its not a top 5 historical program, but I'd concede that its the 2nd best job in the country. My issue with this whole argument is that some act like UT is a much better job and the only substantial advantage that could even be argued is Austin vs. Tuscaloosa.
What's the best job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 11, 2013, 08:24:22 PM »
Never been to Tuscaloosa, how does it compare to Austin? I was under the impression Austin is amazing and everywhere in Alabama (except Gulf Shores) sucks.
[/qu
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:40:55 PM by KITNfury »
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 11, 2013, 08:31:04 PM »
There are few things on this blog more enjoyable than an MIR beef (most of the time), I always have to go back to the beginning and take in the whole thing. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 11, 2013, 08:46:32 PM »
Wikipedia says UT has more wins than Bama.  :dunno:

And the state of Texas has much higher amount of blue chip players, most of which UT has their pick from. UT has more money. UT has a better location. Alabama is top notch, but with equal coaching, it would be easier to win at UT.

Do you guys not realize that Florida is essentially in-state for Alabama? You are comparing the recruiting base of the state of Texas to the state of Alabama and that isn't the reality of how they recruit. Did you know that Alabama landed the #1 recruit from Texas? They also got the #1 from Alabama of course and top 5 recruits from Florida and Louisiana.

What are you talking about?  First, UT could buy the entire University of Alabama with the interest from their endowment.  Second prior to Mack Brown, UT was still one of seven schools with 700 wins and was sixth in all-time win percentage.  Third Texas is 7-1-1 against Alabama with all seven of those wins prior to the arrival of Mack Brown.  I can listen to an argument that Alabama is a better program than Texas but Texas has every right to be in that conversation.  More wins, more heismans, less NC's.

Did you really just start a sports conversation talking about endowments, on this board? Are you a phog plant? Endowments, are you kidding me? Talking about money is stupid anyway, it isn't like Alabama isn't spending all of the money they need in football. People keep talking about money like he's at Ole Miss or something. Alabama prints their own money too. Did you not get my Bill Gates/Carlos Slim reference earlier?

Also when did a I say that UT shouldn't be in the conversation as a better program? Pretty sure I said that it is a testament to what Deloss Dodds has done at UT that we can have this conversation.  Pre Dodds and Mack people were comparing UT to aTm and Pig Aggie, before Saban most people still viewed Alabama as the best program in America. Saban wasn't leaving Miami for Arkansas.

Yeah, in 2006 Bama was not viewed as "The best program in america". They only had 1 natty and 4 SEC titles during the previous 25 years and were a laughingstock after the Franchione/price debacle.....If they were truly "The best program in america" why the eff would their coach leave them for aggy?

IMO Pre-Saban Bama was pretty much UCLA Hoops, tons of sucess under 1 coach but limited success after.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 11, 2013, 08:53:53 PM »

2. If Bill retired after the BWW, would you take Mack Brown for our HC?

2. YES ABSOLUTELY (CRAZY FACT: MACK IS ONLY LIKE 2 MONTHS OLDER THAN SABAN)

I think Currie should just go get Mack the day after he resigns and make him co-head coach with Bill at equal pay and benefits to what Bill is getting. Mack would have us in the national championship within 3 years.
LOL like Mack would work for Bill's peanut size salary.  :ROFL:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 11, 2013, 09:04:22 PM »

2. If Bill retired after the BWW, would you take Mack Brown for our HC?

2. YES ABSOLUTELY (CRAZY FACT: MACK IS ONLY LIKE 2 MONTHS OLDER THAN SABAN)

I think Currie should just go get Mack the day after he resigns and make him co-head coach with Bill at equal pay and benefits to what Bill is getting. Mack would have us in the national championship within 3 years.
LOL like Mack would work for Bill's peanut size salary.  :ROFL:

I imagine he was embarrassed to make more money than the guy who pretty consistently whooped his ass, that's most likely why he resigned at UT. Look for him to surface as a GA next year at K-State.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 11, 2013, 09:09:22 PM »
Not sure if its good or bad Tony Kornheiser is on the UT is best bandwagon, in the end I think Wilbon (:love:) was too.

LHN is a big thing, I don't know if an SEC team would be able to do it too since the SEC as a conference has been working so hard for their own channel.  Which really shows how badly the Big 12 has failed as a conference too.  Sheer size of the AD is the big thing.  Revenue for UT is >30% bigger in 2012 which means a lot in the arms race of college athletics. 

But since Old Balls is in the business of handing out jobs to coaches who have been put out to pasture, lets work on a Mack for "advisor" position now.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 11, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »
Mack for head recruiter.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 11, 2013, 09:18:01 PM »
IMO Pre-Saban Bama was pretty much UCLA Hoops, tons of sucess under 1 coach but limited success after.

pretty great comparison.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »

pretty great comparison.

I think you mean four coaches. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 11, 2013, 09:24:43 PM »
Not sure if its good or bad Tony Kornheiser is on the UT is best bandwagon, in the end I think Wilbon (:love:) was too.

LHN is a big thing, I don't know if an SEC team would be able to do it too since the SEC as a conference has been working so hard for their own channel.  Which really shows how badly the Big 12 has failed as a conference too.  Sheer size of the AD is the big thing.  Revenue for UT is >30% bigger in 2012 which means a lot in the arms race of college athletics. 

But since Old Balls is in the business of handing out jobs to coaches who have been put out to pasture, lets work on a Mack for "advisor" position now.
Yea, like we got five mil to hand out to an "advisor"  after we gave LHCBS an whole 1/4 mil this year.  Now that's scary.  Thank God half the posters on here don't have anything to do with the AD.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 11, 2013, 09:24:59 PM »

pretty great comparison.

i'm a millennial  :dunno:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 11, 2013, 09:31:26 PM »
NO!!! Mack is the antithesis of what it takes to win at K-State.  Rather it's Coach Snyder or someone in the future here are some keys to success in Manhattan

Player development
Talent evaluation
Under the radar h.s. recruits (too small, too slow, too short, too dumb etc)
Infusion of reasonable amount of JUCO talent (great, local, Kansas resource)
X's & O's, winning with special teams, t.o.p. , turnover margin etc etc etc
Patience, perseverance, work ethic
Consistently beating the bottom half of the conference
Local walk-ons & Kansas h.s. recruiting
Successfully (not by worthless rival stars) recruiting neighboring states & TX
Quality assistant coaches

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 11, 2013, 09:36:12 PM »

pretty great comparison.

i'm a millennial  :dunno:

So, you were talking about the Gene Stallings MNC over Miami (Fla.)?

George Teague!

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2013, 09:36:58 PM »
NO!!! Mack is the antithesis of what it takes to win at K-State.  Rather it's Coach Snyder or someone in the future here are some keys to success in Manhattan

Player development
Talent evaluation
Under the radar h.s. recruits (too small, too slow, too short, too dumb etc)
Infusion of reasonable amount of JUCO talent (great, local, Kansas resource)
X's & O's, winning with special teams, t.o.p. , turnover margin etc etc etc
Patience, perseverance, work ethic
Consistently beating the bottom half of the conference
Local walk-ons & Kansas h.s. recruiting
Successfully (not by worthless rival stars) recruiting neighboring states & TX
Quality assistant coaches
Somehow I misread that as "special Olympics teams".  :D

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2013, 09:41:21 PM »
There are few things on this blog more enjoyable than an MIR beef (most of the time), I always have to go back to the beginning and take in the whole thing.

No beef, lopka and I are having a nice balanced convo, that other dude hasn't put together a coherent thought so I'm done replying there.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 11, 2013, 09:46:27 PM »

And the state of Texas has much higher amount of blue chip players, most of which UT has their pick from. UT has more money. UT has a better location. Alabama is top notch, but with equal coaching, it would be easier to win at UT.

Do you guys not realize that Florida is essentially in-state for Alabama? You are comparing the recruiting base of the state of Texas to the state of Alabama and that isn't the reality of how they recruit. Did you know that Alabama landed the #1 recruit from Texas? They also got the #1 from Alabama of course and top 5 recruits from Florida and Louisiana.

What are you talking about?  First, UT could buy the entire University of Alabama with the interest from their endowment.  Second prior to Mack Brown, UT was still one of seven schools with 700 wins and was sixth in all-time win percentage.  Third Texas is 7-1-1 against Alabama with all seven of those wins prior to the arrival of Mack Brown.  I can listen to an argument that Alabama is a better program than Texas but Texas has every right to be in that conversation.  More wins, more heismans, less NC's.

Yeah, in 2006 Bama was not viewed as "The best program in america". They only had 1 natty and 4 SEC titles during the previous 25 years and were a laughingstock after the Franchione/price debacle.....If they were truly "The best program in america" why the eff would their coach leave them for aggy?

Its already been discussed but the success under one other coach comment is simply wrong and there's no way to justify it as being correct.  I don't understand why its so hard to fact check.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 11, 2013, 09:50:08 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 11, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
I know there is another thread for this, but would take for our next coach.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/oscar-feldman/24372078/despite-being-cleared-in-unc-scandal-davis-still-waiting-for-next-gig

He's a very good coach. His age and that whole cancer thing are concerns for me, also he should keep Shitano as far away from any campus Davis ends up at.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 11, 2013, 09:56:15 PM »

Its already been discussed but the success under one other coach comment is simply wrong and there's no way to justify it as being correct.  I don't understand why its so hard to fact check.

Just saying that bama in 2006 was not thought of as the best job in america. In 1989 Bill Curry won the SEC and LEFT BAMA FOR KENTUCKY....In 2002 Franchoine finished the year at #11 then LEFT FOR AGGY.....This does not happen at "The best program in America".

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 11, 2013, 10:08:48 PM »
Curry was about to get fired because he couldn't beat Auburn, bama fans didn't care about SEC championships. Fran left because they were under NCAA probation and had pretty severe scholarship limits. Fran also couldn't handle Alabama expectations, even with the probation.  A&M gave him an opportunity at an easier job but still at a highly regarded program.

I'll buy the argument that UT is an easier job.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 11, 2013, 10:37:06 PM »
lol at a team about to run a fairly recent Natty winning coach as an easier job.  I guess no UT fans are killing trees in City Park.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting