Author Topic: Mack Brown  (Read 88606 times)

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
Re: Mack Brown
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2013, 11:35:36 AM »
Don't be stupid fellas, UT is a better job than 'Bama.

The UT Mack leaves is not better than the 'Bama Saban built.
If both coaching jobs were open right now, you're telling me 'Bama is better? Bama is better because Saban made it better. Take Saban out of the equation and UT is better in a land slide.

If both jobs are open, 'Bama is absolutely better for a lot of coaches. It's all about where you have recruiting relationships.
Well sure, there's going to be some people that don't want to recruit new stomping grounds, etc. But take a guy that doesn't have built in advantages at either place and he'll say UT is better. The most fertile recruiting grounds in the state where you are head and shoulders the most prestigious football school. The most money of any school in the country. Reside in the one of the coolest college cities in the country. One of the biggest stadiums in the country. One of the winningest college teams in the country. On and on and on.

We went through this a while back, but MiR had some decent points about black kids being more comfortable at Tuscaloosa than Austin, so the "coolness" doesn't really matter. white midwesterners just know Austin is a "city" so assume it's more attractive, when that isn't necessarily the case. And Bama is in a great freaking recruiting ground.

All of these lists are personal lists, good for you for actually admitting it. For elite college football players living in Tuscaloosa, Alabama or anywhere in SEC country has draws that Austin doesn't. I'm now assuming that these lists are lists of where a white midwesterner would want to coach as opposed to what the best programs are.
What would Tuscaloosa have that Austin doesn't? 

I think I see your point with the typical college town outside of the southeastern US but not a big city like Austin.

Black people
Fair enough. Black recruits hate Texas.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2013, 11:38:27 AM »
the great ones are always hungry, never complacent.  That's why they get to where they are.  Always seeking out a new challenge.  This is what UT represents to Saban.  He's only 62.  I could see him coaching for another 5-10 years.  He's nothing left to accomplish at Bama.  I dunno.  If he left, I could see this being the reason.  Money, job security, etc. are all non-factors, IMO.  UT and Bama will each pay him whatever the F he wants. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2013, 11:40:40 AM »
Don't be stupid fellas, UT is a better job than 'Bama.

The UT Mack leaves is not better than the 'Bama Saban built.
If both coaching jobs were open right now, you're telling me 'Bama is better? Bama is better because Saban made it better. Take Saban out of the equation and UT is better in a land slide.

If both jobs are open, 'Bama is absolutely better for a lot of coaches. It's all about where you have recruiting relationships.

UT has more money, is in Austin and is not in Alabama.

I think Bama is a fine job and many coaches would never leave.  Saban leaves programs and UT is one of the few who could pull someone away from Bama.  I think for Saban it is about power and money.  UT would give him the most power and money.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2013, 11:42:19 AM »
Keep in mind that Bama was able to hire Saban after Mike Price/Franchione/Mike Shula crap years. That says a lot about the quality of the job.
you don't think UT would be able to pull off something similar?

If they don't get Saban? Probably not. (Also consider that Mack left UT in MUCH better shape than Shula left Bama)
the timing and situation of when Saban was hired by bama was completely different than the situation right now if texas were to hire him..

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2013, 11:48:35 AM »
Keep in mind that Bama was able to hire Saban after Mike Price/Franchione/Mike Shula crap years. That says a lot about the quality of the job.
you don't think UT would be able to pull off something similar?

If they don't get Saban? Probably not. (Also consider that Mack left UT in MUCH better shape than Shula left Bama)
the timing and situation of when Saban was hired by bama was completely different than the situation right now if texas were to hire him..
yeah, Saban had painted himself into a corner in Miami by signing Dante Culpepper instead of Drew Brees and knew it was going to end poorly for him.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »

also, Saban was sucking as a pro coach

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2013, 11:58:19 AM »

also, Saban was sucking as a pro coach
And nobody is saying 'Bama is a crap program. It's not. It's just that UT is better.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 11, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »
I can't blame Bama fans for freaking out. Everyone thinks of Bama and Saban and titles, but they had their own run of awful. Stallings was pretty good ("just" 1 national title though), then Mike DuBose (yeah, I haven't heard of him either), the Franchione mess  :blank:, Mike Price  :lol:, and Mike Shula  :zzz:. There are no guarantees, even for great programs.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 11, 2013, 12:40:19 PM »

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 11, 2013, 12:48:16 PM »
1. Who does Bama go after if this all goes down? Charlie Strong? David Shaw? Retain Kirby Smart?

2. If Bill retired after the BWW, would you take Mack Brown for our HC?

3. I'm pretty sure Bob Stoops contract says he has to be the highest paid coach in the Big 12. Is he reasonable enough to stay and work out a less salary than $10 mil a year (if that ends up being accurate)? I could easily see him leaving for Alabama if OU is unable to pay him.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »
1. Who does Bama go after if this all goes down? Charlie Strong? David Shaw? Retain Kirby Smart?

2. If Bill retired after the BWW, would you take Mack Brown for our HC?

3. I'm pretty sure Bob Stoops contract says he has to be the highest paid coach in the Big 12. Is he reasonable enough to stay and work out a less salary than $10 mil a year (if that ends up being accurate)? I could easily see him leaving for Alabama if OU is unable to pay him.

1. Not a lot of obvious choices. Texas is in kind of the same predicament. (Although I like your Stoops idea. :surprised:)
2. YES ABSOLUTELY (CRAZY FACT: MACK IS ONLY LIKE 2 MONTHS OLDER THAN SABAN)
3. I don't think that's accurate: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1840036-usa-today-reveals-college-football-head-coaches-salaries-for-every-fbs-school

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2013, 12:56:33 PM »
3. I don't think that's accurate: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1840036-usa-today-reveals-college-football-head-coaches-salaries-for-every-fbs-school

That shows total pay. Maybe Stoops' salary has to be more, but Mack ends up making more from the Longhorn Network or something else? :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2013, 12:58:23 PM »

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
bears are fast...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2013, 01:04:18 PM »
I don't know why this has to be rehashed over and over again but no one outside of the Big 12 views Texas as a better job than Alabama. Those who think so are relegated to the argument that Austin is cooler than Tuscaloosa. There is nothing that is measurable that shows that UT is a better program. Alabama has more titles, more wins, more coaches with national titles, has been nationally relevant longer, etc. Texas has done a great job of making itself a big boy and the fact that this conversation is being had is a testament to how incredible Deloss Dodds was as an AD. Less than 20 years ago UT was such a regional brand that they had to join the Big 8. Obviously they as a university and an athletic department are in a much better place now, but if you are anywhere outside of TX, OK, and KS and mention UT as a better program than Alabama then you will get laughed out of the room.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2013, 01:07:44 PM »
I don't think UT has more history or anything like that compared to Alabama. But as has been mentioned previously Saban likes to make his stamp everywhere he goes and then leaves.. he's like the george clooney of college football.  and at texas he would have everything he needed to build another rough ridin' empire

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2013, 01:11:01 PM »

That shows total pay. Maybe Stoops' salary has to be more, but Mack ends up making more from the Longhorn Network or something else? :dunno:

link up, buster

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-salary-bump-not-part-of-bob-stoops-contract-extension/article/3866331

I just read through his contract and didn't see anything. Although the more I think about it, the more I think Stoops should take the Bama job if he can. What is he going to do in the Big 12 if Saban's here?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »
I don't know why this has to be rehashed over and over again but no one outside of the Big 12 views Texas as a better job than Alabama. Those who think so are relegated to the argument that Austin is cooler than Tuscaloosa. There is nothing that is measurable that shows that UT is a better program. Alabama has more titles, more wins, more coaches with national titles, has been nationally relevant longer, etc. Texas has done a great job of making itself a big boy and the fact that this conversation is being had is a testament to how incredible Deloss Dodds was as an AD. Less than 20 years ago UT was such a regional brand that they had to join the Big 8. Obviously they as a university and an athletic department are in a much better place now, but if you are anywhere outside of TX, OK, and KS and mention UT as a better program than Alabama then you will get laughed out of the room.
The only reason people will laugh at UT being better is because this recent run of Alabama. That's it. Saban made that. When Saban leaves, whenever that happens, Alabama will still be a storied program. But there are far more things going for UT than Alabama if you can see beyond the trees. The real truth is that Alabama cannot provide everything that UT can, but UT can provide things that Bama can't.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »

link up, buster

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-salary-bump-not-part-of-bob-stoops-contract-extension/article/3866331

I just read through his contract and didn't see anything. Although the more I think about it, the more I think Stoops should take the Bama job if he can. What is he going to do in the Big 12 if Saban's here?

do you think Bama would offer Stoops?

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 11, 2013, 01:27:28 PM »
Stoops to Bama would be fun.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2013, 01:28:36 PM »

link up, buster

What? Of course they would.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2013, 01:30:26 PM »

link up, buster

What? Of course they would.

Bob Stoops is probably 15th on Alabama's list.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2013, 01:30:35 PM »
What if they offered the mad hatter? Meltdown City and LSUFREEK and his shitty gifs are the mayor and city council.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 11, 2013, 01:33:33 PM »
the what if game is going to be great as the bowls get started. USC is so rough ridin' stupid

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 11, 2013, 01:34:20 PM »

I bet Saban thinks its a better job.