Author Topic: Rekindling the previously kindled NEW COURT DESIGN discussion  (Read 147549 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: Rekindling the NEW COURT DESIGN discussion
« Reply #400 on: August 15, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »
I generally am a sports conservative in matters such as these, so that's okay with me I think.  Anything else and you end up 15 years later looking back at a powercat with basketball grips that looks like a fish and is trimmed in teal.  History is almost never kind to basketball courts that cave to super trendy b-ball court trends. 
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 15, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
I generally am a sports conservative in matters such as these, so that's okay with me I think.  Anything else and you end up 15 years later looking back at a powercat with basketball grips that looks like a fish and is trimmed in teal.  History is almost never kind to basketball courts that cave to super trendy b-ball court trends. 

It's rough ridin' paint, we aren't carving the goddam court out of marble.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #402 on: August 15, 2011, 05:15:03 PM »

we rough ridin' should, can you imagine the home court adv that would create?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 15, 2011, 05:25:39 PM »

why did I pick marble instead of limestone. :facepalm:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #404 on: August 15, 2011, 05:32:05 PM »

why did I pick marble instead of limestone. :facepalm:
cuz you're classy and a lover of neo-classical art

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 15, 2011, 05:35:53 PM »

It's rough ridin' K-StateO, whatever we get we're stuck with for at least the next 8 years.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 15, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »
The beauty of octowood is it makes a very safe design look much more original and interesting

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 15, 2011, 08:47:22 PM »
This thread has the worst title.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 15, 2011, 09:11:47 PM »
all white court, purple lines and trim

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 15, 2011, 09:43:55 PM »
Rekindling.  GMAFB.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 16, 2011, 08:48:38 AM »
The beauty of octowood is it makes a very safe design look much more original and interesting
Yeah, this is what I'm getting at. Octawood wouldn't ever look trendy, it would simply be one of a kind and would really give it a uniqueness similar to the Celtic's parque. I don't GAD if the paint is simple. I like that idea.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Rekindling the previously kindled NEW COURT DESIGN discussion
« Reply #411 on: August 16, 2011, 09:40:33 AM »
Yeah, this is what I'm getting at. Octawood wouldn't ever look trendy, it would simply be one of a kind and would really give it a uniqueness similar to the Celtic's parque. I don't GAD if the paint is simple. I like that idea.

so ya, us and Colorado State.  sweet.   oh, and the Celtics.  yup.  :flush:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 16, 2011, 09:42:51 AM »

Making your wood do weird stuff is super trendy.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 16, 2011, 09:44:42 AM »
guys, I just had a hunch about the octowood and did some quick science to confirm.  the wood naturally expands and contracts.  octowood layout could make this a problem. 

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 16, 2011, 09:55:56 AM »

Examples?
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 16, 2011, 09:58:18 AM »
guys, I just had a hunch about the octowood and did some quick science to confirm.  the wood naturally expands and contracts.  octowood layout could make this a problem.  

Pretty much everything naturally expands/contracts.  No reason octowood wouldn't work other than it is probably much more expensive to install due to installation layout and stuff.  Also, OOD is pretty climate controlled...

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 16, 2011, 10:00:32 AM »
guys, I just had a hunch about the octowood and did some quick science to confirm.  the wood naturally expands and contracts.  octowood layout could make this a problem.  

Pretty much everything naturally expands/contracts.  No reason octowood wouldn't work other than it is probably much more expensive to install due to installation layout and stuff.  Also, OOD is pretty climate controlled...

I'm sorry cns casey, but you are wrong.  look at the science, it's rock solid.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 16, 2011, 10:04:54 AM »
guys, I just had a hunch about the octowood and did some quick science to confirm.  the wood naturally expands and contracts.  octowood layout could make this a problem. 
So does a regular court, in all directions. It's also fairly equal across the grain and with the grain. The amount is pretty small, particularly in an area that will have a fairly consistant humidity and temperature level. Small, un-noticeable gaps can be incorporated into the design to take care of this "problem".

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 16, 2011, 10:07:09 AM »

I'm sorry cns casey, but you are wrong.  look at the science, it's rock solid.

Is this a clue about the marble design?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 16, 2011, 10:10:26 AM »
is there a rule that governs what kind of slope or whatever the floor has. i know bill built the DoD around having a field that peaked in the middle and then sloped down towards the sidelines. is this an option for bball?  :dunno:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: August 16, 2011, 10:15:46 AM »

Examples?

...And I feel like there's at least one more I'm forgetting.  Okay so maybe it's not "trendy," but let me assure you of this: We are K-StateO.  And even though I could probably be talked into thinking that renderings of octowood look great with enough convincing, rest assured that in real life our people would find a way to bungle it.

We are K-StateO.  Never forget that.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:17:54 AM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 16, 2011, 10:19:16 AM »
The problem with Octawood is the court dimensions.  Eventually, you would stop seeing Octagons and just see straight lines, or the shape would get longer than it is tall and look like a really Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)/mumped up rectangle with slanty things toward the ends.  I would still want it, even given this.  To have the octagon start at center court would be fantastic.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 16, 2011, 10:25:56 AM »
future pro adjustable goals would be my choice.  crank those things down to 9 feet for practice dunk offs and junk

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 16, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »

Examples?

...And I feel like there's at least one more I'm forgetting.  Okay so maybe it's not "trendy," but let me assure you of this: We are K-StateO.  And even though I could probably be talked into thinking that renderings of octowood look great with enough convincing, rest assured that in real life our people would find a way to bungle it.

We are K-StateO.  Never forget that.

Prettty damn sure both of those are typical wood patterns with colored finishes or paints applied to give the look. The only different wood pattern I know of is parque and you instantly think of the Celtics when you see it.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 16, 2011, 10:30:46 AM »
You're right, but it's still pretty much the same idea. 

As for parquet floors, I instantly think of Texas A&M when I see it.  Or UMass.  Or Western Illinois.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:34:45 AM by SkinnyBenny »