Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Thread  (Read 458116 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #375 on: April 18, 2010, 04:58:34 PM »
Good stuff here from Sam Khan, who is the Chronicle's lead high school writer - and he's very good:

Terrific offensive talent. He can score inside and out, run the floor, handle the ball and create his own quality shot in the half court.

Good court vision, seems to see the floor well in transition and in the half court.

Decent rebounder. Very good passer.

Any time I've watched him he hasn't really stood out to me defensively, but he can make plays on the ball (swiping it or playing passing lanes).

Good clutch player too.

Biggest thing to keep an eye on is off the court. He missed a good chunk of his sophomore season because of grade issues. He didn't miss any time this year, so perhaps he has fixed that. I'm not real sure if it'll be an issue going forward.

He's always been quiet any time I've been around him so I'm not sure what kind of attitude he has. He seems to be a good floor leader but I don't know that he's a leader in the true sense of the word. I'm thinking this is the year that we'll find out, because he'll be one of few holdovers on a roster that's going to have a ton of turnover.

He has experience on his side - he has been on varsity since he was a freshman and got significant minutes off the bench that year when Dulles went to the state championship game. So he has logged a lot of meaningful minutes when he has been on the court. If Dulles would have gone further in the playoffs, he would have been on my second team probably. They lost in the second round to the eventual state champs. He'll be a surefire first-team all-city pick next preseason for me. He's without question one of the top talents in this area in general, and especially in the Class of 2011. He was an all-state selection this year.

And then this just popped in my in-box from Sam:

I just heard from the local guy who's deep into AAU coverage that he had a huge game today (41 points, 12 rebounds, five assists) in the semifinals of the Real Deal on the Hill in Arkansas, which is supposed a pretty high quality tournament. Chief might know this better than I though, where it ranks on the totem pole.

His team is playing in the championship game later today.

Another guy I work with happens to run an AAU team here in Houston. His name is Chief, and this is what he had to say:

One of the best guards in the state. I'm pretty sure he's left handed. Plays at Dulles HS in Fort Bend. About 6-3. Can get to the rack and fill it up just as easily.

Hope that helps.

WONDERFUL work.  Ironic that he probably played his way out of KSU's hands the same day KSU fans discovered his interest in KSU.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 18, 2010, 05:20:15 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 18, 2010, 05:35:43 PM »
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1075877

some more good stuff here.  i'm floored that our beat writers never let us know that kstate had offered jones.

DeAngelo Harrison (Franchize All-Starz 2011)- Harrison absolutely filled it up from deep Sunday morning. He hit three-pointers of the dribble and coming off screens, while also spending a lot of time running the point. Harrison is a high level shooter as a high major prospect.

And evidently Harrison was even better when Rivals.com wasn't watching. In a 10 point loss to the Dallas Mustangs in the championship game, Harrison went for 47 points.

Isiah Jones (Franchize-The Life 2011)- Speaking of high level shooters, Jones was just as impressive from deep as Harrison. A former 2010 prospect out of Chicago. Jones is now at Christian Life Academy as a 2011 prospect....  Isiah Jones did have offers as a 2010 prospect from DePaul, Kansas State, Indiana State and Illinois State. Now that he is reclassifying at Christian Life Academy his recruitment is starting over. He lists those four schools along with Indiana and Louisiana Tech.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 18, 2010, 05:41:20 PM »
we're suddenly listed with this guy:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/kansasstate/basketball/recruiting/player-Wayne-Martin-102054

not sure why.   :dunno:

who cares, count it as a mention and go.

:cheese:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 18, 2010, 05:58:25 PM »
Corey Hilliard is getting to the rim at well for KC Pump N Run 17's, up 9 on Dream Vision near halftime.

hilliard (2011 from raytown) visited kstate this season.  has been linked to kstate by such notable sites such as: scout, shockernet, ksufans.com and msubearnation.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 18, 2010, 05:59:43 PM »
Franchize claims John Henson played for them...KSU was one of Henson's first offers.  Agree on the wtf on Jones, but not really surprised.

Corey Hilliard is getting to the rim at well for KC Pump N Run 17's, up 9 on Dream Vision near halftime.

hilliard (2011 from raytown) visited kstate this season.  has been linked to kstate by such notable sites such as: scout, shockernet, ksufans.com and msubearnation.

lol

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 18, 2010, 06:11:21 PM »
incredible nicname.  assuming it's the same individual.

2010 guard Isaiah “Hoopy” Jones is still at Mounds Meridian after contrary reports throughout the summer that he was transferring to Carbondale.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 18, 2010, 06:58:36 PM »
Random non-paid posters (I'm counting Jeff in this) on a free-non-media-affiliated message board are KSU's primary source of basketball recruiting news.  Is this weird or does this happen  for other major conference fan bases?

Offline JMart

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 18, 2010, 07:19:02 PM »
Good stuff here from Sam Khan, who is the Chronicle's lead high school writer - and he's very good:

Terrific offensive talent. He can score inside and out, run the floor, handle the ball and create his own quality shot in the half court.

Good court vision, seems to see the floor well in transition and in the half court.

Decent rebounder. Very good passer.

Any time I've watched him he hasn't really stood out to me defensively, but he can make plays on the ball (swiping it or playing passing lanes).

Good clutch player too.

Biggest thing to keep an eye on is off the court. He missed a good chunk of his sophomore season because of grade issues. He didn't miss any time this year, so perhaps he has fixed that. I'm not real sure if it'll be an issue going forward.

He's always been quiet any time I've been around him so I'm not sure what kind of attitude he has. He seems to be a good floor leader but I don't know that he's a leader in the true sense of the word. I'm thinking this is the year that we'll find out, because he'll be one of few holdovers on a roster that's going to have a ton of turnover.

He has experience on his side - he has been on varsity since he was a freshman and got significant minutes off the bench that year when Dulles went to the state championship game. So he has logged a lot of meaningful minutes when he has been on the court. If Dulles would have gone further in the playoffs, he would have been on my second team probably. They lost in the second round to the eventual state champs. He'll be a surefire first-team all-city pick next preseason for me. He's without question one of the top talents in this area in general, and especially in the Class of 2011. He was an all-state selection this year.

And then this just popped in my in-box from Sam:

I just heard from the local guy who's deep into AAU coverage that he had a huge game today (41 points, 12 rebounds, five assists) in the semifinals of the Real Deal on the Hill in Arkansas, which is supposed a pretty high quality tournament. Chief might know this better than I though, where it ranks on the totem pole.

His team is playing in the championship game later today.

Another guy I work with happens to run an AAU team here in Houston. His name is Chief, and this is what he had to say:

One of the best guards in the state. I'm pretty sure he's left handed. Plays at Dulles HS in Fort Bend. About 6-3. Can get to the rack and fill it up just as easily.

Hope that helps.

WONDERFUL work.  Ironic that he probably played his way out of KSU's hands the same day KSU fans discovered his interest in KSU.

As usual, Michigancat on point... From Sam Khan:

I'm told he's "wide open."

As a side note, he's supposed to be picking up another offer soon. Marquette will be jumping into the fray with an offer as early as tomorrow.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 18, 2010, 09:51:49 PM »
Random non-paid posters (I'm counting Jeff in this) on a free-non-media-affiliated message board are KSU's primary source of basketball recruiting news.  Is this weird or does this happen  for other major conference fan bases?

strangely, i think it's actually the norm.

nu - all recruiting news broken by NE newspapers or by other fanbases.
isu - most news broken by mcdermott's nephew or a 16 year poster in eastern iowa, both on cyfan
mu - i think it's about 50:50 between dearmond's kid and tigerboard posters.  regardless, nothing is believed until crazylegs confirms or denies.
ku - mascott gets at least as many SCOOPS as scout and rivals combined.
wsu - 95% tropshox.
ou - almost all ouhoops mods and posters.

Offline K-ST8ED

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 18, 2010, 09:56:53 PM »

Yeah, these are great. I just started reading these recruiting threads last week, and you cant even get close to this coverage anywhere else, even if you are paying for it. Keep up the good work doods! :bball: :kstatriot:

catzacker

« Reply #386 on: April 19, 2010, 08:19:54 AM »

As usual, Michigancat on point... From Sam Khan:

I'm told he's "wide open."

As a side note, he's supposed to be picking up another offer soon. Marquette will be jumping into the fray with an offer as early as tomorrow.

It's like a nice warm blanket.  But kind of hilarious that the "keep everything under wraps" theory that sys pushed might have some truth and even more hilarious that this staff thinks in this environment that they're going to get a kid worth a sh*t that no one knows about.  If the kid is good and blows up people are going to notice and we're going to get put in the back of the bus.

Offline JMart

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 19, 2010, 10:50:22 AM »
So, read this:

http://www.rcssports.com/

And the plot thickens - his older brother, Dre, just completed his first season at San Jacinto. He's a point guard, and he led Dulles to the state title game as a junior. My dude Chief says he's nice as hell, and who wouldn't want to play at the collegiate level with their little brother? This is all Figgs, by the way - he's junior colleges and Texas, I think.

This is what his list looked like out of high school:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/texashoops/basketball/recruiting/player-Dre-Harrison-77052;_ylt=AlDr9g7T3KgZYBM8JOEWU1nfS5B4?colleges=show#college_choices

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 19, 2010, 10:53:12 AM »
 :surprised:

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 19, 2010, 11:07:08 AM »
Thanks Jeff.  Wonder if Dre is Juevol level of prospect...  :dunno:

somewhat off topic, but somewhat related:  Love the name "wanna bail?" or however its actually spelled. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 19, 2010, 11:31:25 AM »
dre harrison was a nonqualifier, no?  so he's an '11 too.

deangelo harrison looks like an impressive player, and would be a nice get.  don't think he's good enough to take his less talented, same size, same position brother in a class with 3 ships.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 19, 2010, 01:12:03 PM »
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?highlight=wichita&CID=1076021

a few vaguely kstate items.  think it's free.

on thomas, he used to be listed as a 2012.  can't find anything to connect him to kstate.  the hawks seem like a pretty amateur organization, but perhaps are coming up in the ranks.

Hilliard is the point guard who runs the show, and gets things done. The Dream Vision guards had absolutely no chance to stop Hilliard from getting into the lane and either scoring or dishing to a teammate such as Kirk. Hilliard finished the game with 11 points, and simply controlled every aspect of the action....  Corey Hilliard has an offer from Missouri State and interest from Kansas State, Minnesota, Arizona State, and Missouri.

Though the KC Pump N Run 15's fell in the semi-finals, Conner Frankamp had nothing to be ashamed of. The point guard has a lot of flair to his game, and the handle he possesses is at a very high level. Just when defenders play off of him in an attempt to keep him in front, Frankamp showed the ability to knock in a deep jumper. Overall he looks the part of a potential high-major guard down the road.

Get ready to hear the name Chris Thomas. The Colorado native now attends school at Princeton Day Academy in Bowie, Maryland. The little known 6-foot-4 wing asserted himself as one of the premier players in his class with his play over the weekend. Even though his Colorado Hawks team was completely outmanned by Indiana Elite at the 16 and under level, Thomas is a 2013 star who made an impact and even kept the game relatively close for a long period of time.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 19, 2010, 01:15:13 PM »
w
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?highlight=wichita&CID=1076021

a few vaguely kstate items.  think it's free.

on thomas, he used to be listed as a 2012.  can't find anything to connect him to kstate.  the hawks seem like a pretty amateur organization, but perhaps are coming up in the ranks.

Hilliard is the point guard who runs the show, and gets things done. The Dream Vision guards had absolutely no chance to stop Hilliard from getting into the lane and either scoring or dishing to a teammate such as Kirk. Hilliard finished the game with 11 points, and simply controlled every aspect of the action....  Corey Hilliard has an offer from Missouri State and interest from Kansas State, Minnesota, Arizona State, and Missouri.

Though the KC Pump N Run 15's fell in the semi-finals, Conner Frankamp had nothing to be ashamed of. The point guard has a lot of flair to his game, and the handle he possesses is at a very high level. Just when defenders play off of him in an attempt to keep him in front, Frankamp showed the ability to knock in a deep jumper. Overall he looks the part of a potential high-major guard down the road.

Get ready to hear the name Chris Thomas. The Colorado native now attends school at Princeton Day Academy in Bowie, Maryland. The little known 6-foot-4 wing asserted himself as one of the premier players in his class with his play over the weekend. Even though his Colorado Hawks team was completely outmanned by Indiana Elite at the 16 and under level, Thomas is a 2013 star who made an impact and even kept the game relatively close for a long period of time.

I pretty much assume all 13's (or even 12's) that we're hearing about now are guys we have now shot at unless they are local guys KU doesn't want.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 19, 2010, 01:17:34 PM »
I pretty much assume all 13's (or even 12's) that we're hearing about now are guys we have no shot at unless they are local guys KU doesn't want.

:concerned:  that doesn't seem like you...

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 19, 2010, 01:54:50 PM »
It's like a nice warm blanket.  But kind of hilarious that the "keep everything under wraps" theory that sys pushed might have some truth and even more hilarious that this staff thinks in this environment that they're going to get a kid worth a sh*t that no one knows about.  If the kid is good and blows up people are going to notice and we're going to get put in the back of the bus.

the only way it makes sense is to keep programs like KU's (and prolly Baylor's) from trying to blow up your recruiting.  if the rumors about Walker, Sutton and Little's recruitment are true then it's a smart move.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 19, 2010, 02:02:45 PM »
I pretty much assume all 13's (or even 12's) that we're hearing about now are guys we have no shot at unless they are local guys KU doesn't want.

:concerned:  that doesn't seem like you...

It's a nice warm blanket.

catzacker

« Reply #396 on: April 19, 2010, 02:46:53 PM »

the only way it makes sense is to keep programs like KU's (and prolly Baylor's) from trying to blow up your recruiting.  if the rumors about Walker, Sutton and Little's recruitment are true then it's a smart move.

yeah, but none of those kids were unknown at all.  I guess what I'm saying is that ku isn't blowing up sprads or southwell or nino or sprilla and that's prolly because they either aren't good (sprads, southwell, nino) or because we did a good job of recruiting by using our connections (sprilla).  We lost Mitchell to MU (and KU didn't blow that one up) because we did a sh*tty job recruiting him.  We lost LatWill because he couldn't qualify and did a sh*tty job recruiting him.  We lost Little because we did a sh*tty job of recruiting him.  We've gotten better than or equal to kids as KU because we recruited well enough to get them.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 19, 2010, 03:06:13 PM »
the 2nd part is in response to if he could play pg in the big 12.

Quote from: soonerdaze on ouhoops
Just heard that DeAngelo Harrison is scheduled to be visited this week by an undisclosed Big Ten coach, who is rumored to be prepared to offer him. Word is, he was set to offer him before he set a scoring record and led his team to the 17u championship.

Anything is possible for him because he has real skill and has good athleticism. Question for me is, can he shun all the "rec-center mentality" that he shows in the summer, and really learn the PG position? Cannot properly evaluate that from where I or any other observer sits.

Some can and some can't. The rec centers in major metropolitan areas around this country are littered with stellar ball players who simply couldn't find a way to compete at a high level of organized ball. If I had to guess, he'll probably end up an undersized 2 at the next level unless he plays in a dribble-weave, motion-type offensive system.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 19, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
if the rumors about Walker, Sutton and Little's recruitment are true then it's a smart move.

I remember how the Sutton and Little deals went down but not what happened with Walker?

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 19, 2010, 04:23:40 PM »
dre harrison was a nonqualifier, no?  so he's an '11 too.

deangelo harrison looks like an impressive player, and would be a nice get.  don't think he's good enough to take his less talented, same size, same position brother in a class with 3 ships.

Depends on the situation (how despirate are we, and how loaded are we with mediocre guards)  Trading two Junior mediocre (IE myles and irving) guards for one junior mediocre and a good freshman could make some sense.