Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Thread  (Read 457078 times)

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #2525 on: April 06, 2011, 01:24:01 PM »
Is this the largest All-American team ever compiled at any level? I'm sure there are a lot of talented players here, but 50 of them?

'Grats to Jeremy Jones, 3rd team, that's Top 30  :gocho:

http://www.njcaa.org/sports_awards.cfm?sid=4&divid=1&slid=2

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: April 06, 2011, 02:26:25 PM »
Per request from other Carousel thread, Bossi was on 810 today.

I only caught part of it, but he listed our 'cruits and said:

1. None of our guys will wow anyone into thinking that they will immediately make a difference, but that several could be 2-3 year starters by end of their careers.

2. Frank loves Angel and that Angel will be the guy who isn't afraid to take tough shots when needed

3. pronounced it Enrique

3. said that he was most excited about Gip.  that he was a grinder and hard worker

4. said that Diaz can face up and run really well but is too skinny.  Called him another Enrique

5. Said no one knows what to expect with Omari.  Said he was great in HS, but his body "went old man on him", whatevs that means.

6. Didn't seem overly up on us

Said that Mike Anderson will win more than Haith but due to conf, not coaching.

Missed half of his discussion on KU, but it sounded like he had no real idea what they are doing as of now.

Reinforced that Kentucky is getting very good players in this year.

That is about it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: April 06, 2011, 02:38:05 PM »
thanks cns

Offline Jarvis_Cat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: April 06, 2011, 02:49:52 PM »
Great summary, thx!

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #2529 on: April 06, 2011, 03:13:17 PM »
3. said that he was most excited about Gip.  that he was a grinder and hard worker

Agreed.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: April 09, 2011, 07:06:46 AM »

From Tuck Board:
Forgive my ignorance, but who is James Watson?

Don't worry Wildcat129, many of us are pretty much saying the same thing.

But that's recruiting with Frank Kruger Jr. these days.    :flush:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: April 09, 2011, 08:41:36 AM »
I'm assuming this (unfortunately) goes here

Martin at Coco Bolos
My wife and I went to Bolos last night at about 8:30-9:00, and Frank, the assistants, his kids, delonte's kids, Jake, Rodney, and what looked to be a recruit? (didn't recognize him), were just finishing up dinner. Mood was light-hearted, and everyone seemed to be joking around. Sure didn't look like a guy getting ready to bolt.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: April 09, 2011, 11:33:40 AM »
This was e-mailed to me.  Weird, considering the disclaimer by the OP.  Nobody ever said those gpc'rs can follow directions well.  Not sure if that's an environment I want to work in.

The link is only to a partial story, so here's the full text.

Just do me a favor and keep it on Wabash, OK?

None of this e-mailing it around to your buddies crap. Tell 'em to read it here.

Cowley College athlete caught in the middle

Cowley College basketball standout James Watson, of Atoka, Okla., has a story similar to that of NFL Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Michael "Big Mike" Oher, the Ole Miss football star about whom the movie "The Blind Side" is based.
The only difference, said Watson's mother, Annette - who works in a child protective agency in Oklahoma - is that Michael Oher was adopted by "rich" white people, and they're just hard-working, middle-class people.
James was arrested last Wednesday on charges of aggravated burglary, felony theft and criminal damage to property in the Cowley College athletic dorm.
He was transported to the Cowley County Jail and released later that day on an $8,000 bond, according to a jail official.
The incident occurred at 7:30 a.m. March 30 in James' dorm room, according to Annette.
She said her son was being portrayed as a criminal - but is far from that.
Annette said James tried to not become mixed up in the dispute between his roommate, fellow Cowley basketball player Ashton Patton, and Patton's former girlfriend, Brenna Howard, of Topeka.
All James did was open the door when Patton's girlfriend knocked, give her his key so he wouldn't have to get up each time she knocked and went back to sleep, Annette said.
Howard was upset over personal problems she and Patton were having, and took some items from the dorm room that she said she had purchased. Among the items was a television.
"James didn't think a crime was being committed," Annette said. He simply thought Patton's girlfriend was taking things that belonged to her.
Her son's alleged crime was letting the girl into the room and not reporting the incident, Annette said. Patton was not in the room at the time.
"James made the choice not to get involved in it because those two are crazy," Annette said.
"James' crime was that he let her into the dorm room once, that's all he did. His crime is he didn't report it. He went back to sleep, got up and went to class, and thought, 'Man, she trashed this place.'"
Arkansas City arresting police officer Travis Stroud told a slightly different story.
According to Stroud, Brenna Howard, 21, of Topeka, was arrested and booked into the Cowley County Jail on March 31 on the same charges as James - aggravated burglary, felony theft and criminal damage to property. She bonded out that same day at $8,000.
"Brenna poured bleach on some of Patton's clothing, broke a door off a microwave oven and snapped about 20 DVDs in half," Stroud said.
James assisted Howard by unhooking the television in his dorm room and carrying items for her, Stroud said.
Stroud added that he was able to contact Howard by phone and talked her into bringing back all the items she had taken the next day.
Annette said James has a court appearance scheduled for Tuesday, but she hopes the incident is cleared up before then.
James was adopted when he was 14 from the foster care system, his mother said.
"He has high character because we demand that of him," Annette said, adding that James never has had "off the court" issues.
But this incident, which first was reported Wednesday in the Traveler and now is being discussed on online sites, is jeopardizing his future playing career, she said.
"My son has offers from K-State and (Oklahoma State), and he's going on a recruiting tour this weekend with this stuff on him, making him look like a criminal," Annette said.
James, a 6-foot-8, 220-pound forward, was a member of the 2010-11 Cowley men's basketball team after transferring to Cowley from Washington State University.
He averaged 10.4 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.
James has high interest and an offer from Georgia State, according to Rivals.com, as well as medium interest from Kansas State, Missouri State and Wichita State. He is listed as visiting Kansas State this weekend.
James had a sister, Kayla, who died four years ago at 21;, and he has a brother, Matthew, 23, and an adopted black sister, Charisma, 3. James was adopted by the Watsons when he was 14. He is 21 years old now.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: April 09, 2011, 12:15:08 PM »
rough ridin' cops.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: April 09, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »
This was e-mailed to me.  Weird, considering the disclaimer by the OP.  Nobody ever said those gpc'rs can follow directions well.  Not sure if that's an environment I want to work in.

The link is only to a partial story, so here's the full text.

Just do me a favor and keep it on Wabash, OK?

None of this e-mailing it around to your buddies crap. Tell 'em to read it here.

Cowley College athlete caught in the middle

Cowley College basketball standout James Watson, of Atoka, Okla., has a story similar to that of NFL Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Michael "Big Mike" Oher, the Ole Miss football star about whom the movie "The Blind Side" is based.
The only difference, said Watson's mother, Annette - who works in a child protective agency in Oklahoma - is that Michael Oher was adopted by "rich" white people, and they're just hard-working, middle-class people.
James was arrested last Wednesday on charges of aggravated burglary, felony theft and criminal damage to property in the Cowley College athletic dorm.
He was transported to the Cowley County Jail and released later that day on an $8,000 bond, according to a jail official.
The incident occurred at 7:30 a.m. March 30 in James' dorm room, according to Annette.
She said her son was being portrayed as a criminal - but is far from that.
Annette said James tried to not become mixed up in the dispute between his roommate, fellow Cowley basketball player Ashton Patton, and Patton's former girlfriend, Brenna Howard, of Topeka.
All James did was open the door when Patton's girlfriend knocked, give her his key so he wouldn't have to get up each time she knocked and went back to sleep, Annette said.
Howard was upset over personal problems she and Patton were having, and took some items from the dorm room that she said she had purchased. Among the items was a television.
"James didn't think a crime was being committed," Annette said. He simply thought Patton's girlfriend was taking things that belonged to her.
Her son's alleged crime was letting the girl into the room and not reporting the incident, Annette said. Patton was not in the room at the time.
"James made the choice not to get involved in it because those two are crazy," Annette said.
"James' crime was that he let her into the dorm room once, that's all he did. His crime is he didn't report it. He went back to sleep, got up and went to class, and thought, 'Man, she trashed this place.'"
Arkansas City arresting police officer Travis Stroud told a slightly different story.
According to Stroud, Brenna Howard, 21, of Topeka, was arrested and booked into the Cowley County Jail on March 31 on the same charges as James - aggravated burglary, felony theft and criminal damage to property. She bonded out that same day at $8,000.
"Brenna poured bleach on some of Patton's clothing, broke a door off a microwave oven and snapped about 20 DVDs in half," Stroud said.
James assisted Howard by unhooking the television in his dorm room and carrying items for her, Stroud said.
Stroud added that he was able to contact Howard by phone and talked her into bringing back all the items she had taken the next day.
Annette said James has a court appearance scheduled for Tuesday, but she hopes the incident is cleared up before then.
James was adopted when he was 14 from the foster care system, his mother said.
"He has high character because we demand that of him," Annette said, adding that James never has had "off the court" issues.
But this incident, which first was reported Wednesday in the Traveler and now is being discussed on online sites, is jeopardizing his future playing career, she said.
"My son has offers from K-State and (Oklahoma State), and he's going on a recruiting tour this weekend with this stuff on him, making him look like a criminal," Annette said.
James, a 6-foot-8, 220-pound forward, was a member of the 2010-11 Cowley men's basketball team after transferring to Cowley from Washington State University.
He averaged 10.4 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.
James has high interest and an offer from Georgia State, according to Rivals.com, as well as medium interest from Kansas State, Missouri State and Wichita State. He is listed as visiting Kansas State this weekend.
James had a sister, Kayla, who died four years ago at 21;, and he has a brother, Matthew, 23, and an adopted black sister, Charisma, 3. James was adopted by the Watsons when he was 14. He is 21 years old now.

:DNR:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: April 09, 2011, 04:45:45 PM »

Martin at Coco Bolos
My wife and I went to Bolos last night at about 8:30-9:00, and Frank, the assistants, his kids, delonte's kids, Jake, Rodney, and what looked to be a recruit? (didn't recognize him), were just finishing up dinner. Mood was light-hearted, and everyone seemed to be joking around. Sure didn't look like a guy getting ready to bolt.

FWIW, the recruit was Jeremy Jones.

Offline BigShotAttorneyCat

• CEO, goEMAW.com
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: April 09, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »

Martin at Coco Bolos

FWIW, the recruit was Jeremy Jones.

Jones and Watson are both in town

Offline gokatgo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: April 09, 2011, 07:15:42 PM »
bringing kids to dinner with recruits?    :surprised:

:runaway: :barf: :runaway: :barf: :runaway: :barf:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:19:25 PM by gokatgo »

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: April 10, 2011, 08:13:44 AM »

Martin at Coco Bolos

that's the Cuban in him. Total unpredictablitlity.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: April 10, 2011, 08:50:55 AM »

Martin at Coco Bolos

Sounds to me like a table full of people that are not going to be in Manhattan next year

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: April 11, 2011, 10:59:29 AM »
Pierre Jackson to Baylor(Gary Franklin doesn't approve)

Sam Grooms to Oklahoma(Carl Blair and Calvin Newell probably don't approve but neither are real good so Kruger probably doesn't care)

Stan Simpson to Memphis

KSU was never mentioned in connection with any of these prospects, but these were 3 of the top JC prospects available and it sorta has a local/B12 flavor.

1 player who KSU had briefly been mentioned in connection with, 6'1" PG Wes Washpun from Cedar Rapids, IA, committed to Tennessee(not included in update below)

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1210397
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:57:01 AM by Underdog Wildcat »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: April 11, 2011, 11:22:58 AM »
Pierre Jackson to Baylor(Gary Franklin doesn't approve)

Sam Grooms to Oklahoma(Carl Blair and Calvin Newell probably don't approve but neither are real good so Kruger probably doesn't care)

Stan Simpson to Memphis

KSU was never mentioned in connection with any of these prospects, but these were 3 of the top JC prospects available and it sorta has a local/B12 flavor.

1 player who KSU had briefly been mentioned in connection with, 6'1" PG Wes Washpun from Cedar Rapids, IA, committed to Tennessee(not included in update below)

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1210397C

Lobbying for the Miami job takes you away from other things.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: April 11, 2011, 12:16:35 PM »
The only 1 of the JC guys that I'm disappointed KSU didn't pursue was Jackson, a couple recruiting outlets referred to him as the best JC prospect available this Spring and he would have filled the need(IMO at least) of a dynamic scoring PG who's also a good on ball defender.

If we're planning on keeping Myles around, I must admit it would have been pretty Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) to go after Jackson or any other smallish PG, but who really knows what's going on there.

Jackson is definitely undersized(5'10" 170) and there's no guarantee he will excel at the HM level, our staff is reportedly pretty high on Rodriguez's ability to contribute right away, so we'll see what happens.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: April 11, 2011, 12:49:20 PM »
The only 1 of the JC guys that I'm disappointed KSU.

i don't see why you you'd bring in a jr pg unless you hate soph and fr pgs.  jones is a shooter, so even though i don't want him, i can see how he fits.

drew must hate at least one of his other jr pg and his two soph pgs.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: April 11, 2011, 12:51:40 PM »
The only 1 of the JC guys that I'm disappointed KSU.

i don't see why you you'd bring in a jr pg unless you hate soph and fr pgs. 

Which is exactly why I said it would be Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) to recruit him if Myles was still sticking around.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: April 11, 2011, 12:58:30 PM »
Which is exactly why I said it would be Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) to recruit him if Myles was still sticking around.

i agree, but i think it'd be weird/mean even if myles leaves.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: April 11, 2011, 01:01:20 PM »
I think we were mentioned w/ Simpson when he was a HS recruit.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: April 11, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »

I believe you are correct.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: April 11, 2011, 01:10:56 PM »

I thought KU wanted him pretty bad.  Was that TRob insurance, or did they just outright lose him to Cankles?

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: April 11, 2011, 01:14:42 PM »

I thought KU wanted him pretty bad.  Was that TRob insurance, or did they just outright lose him to Cankles?

Anderson's recent commit probably had a lot do with that

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=12534.0