Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Thread  (Read 457398 times)

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #2350 on: March 13, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: March 13, 2011, 02:43:03 PM »
anderson or whoever probably keeps most of them.  also 3/5 are from AR. 

seems like twitter opinion mostly agrees with this, if they get a hire done reasonably quickly.  btw, bossi floated a list of candidates heavy with big 12 names.

Early Hawgs wishlist names getting floated include Mark Turgeon, Mike Anderson, Buzz Williams, Frank Martin, Tim Floyd, B. Gillespie.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: March 13, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »
Why not target O'Neal of USC. He's going nowhere in a football school in UCLA's shadow.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: March 13, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »
5. Kansas State Wildcats
What they're losing: Frank Martin has the unenviable job of finding a replacement for Jacob Pullen. He embodied Martin's toughness and tone for the program. These guys aren't recruited, they evolve and that's what makes replacing them so difficult.
What they're adding: Martin has toughness in forward Thomas Gipson (Cedar Hill, Texas/Cedar Hill) and length in Adrian Diaz (Miami, Fla./Hialeah Lakes) locked for the frontline. His new point guard is a kid who believes in himself, can score and hails from Martin's sweet spot: Miami. Angel Rodriguez, from Dr. Krop, is wired up just how Martin likes his players and there's a chip on his shoulder.
What it equals: The loss of Pullen is significant enough that it'll have an effect on the team, but the hope is that it doesn't change the culture. Rodney McGruder's role will expand and Kansas State's toughness should help it stay on the course Martin's laid for it. K-State is at the point where older players should be able to step into larger roles and if one of the three recruits can step up, the Wildcats' winning ways will continue.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6213419
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: March 13, 2011, 09:54:57 PM »
5. Kansas State Wildcats
What they're losing: Frank Martin has the unenviable job of finding a replacement for Jacob Pullen. He embodied Martin's toughness and tone for the program. These guys aren't recruited, they evolve and that's what makes replacing them so difficult.
What they're adding: Martin has toughness in forward Thomas Gipson (Cedar Hill, Texas/Cedar Hill) and length in Adrian Diaz (Miami, Fla./Hialeah Lakes) locked for the frontline. His new point guard is a kid who believes in himself, can score and hails from Martin's sweet spot: Miami. Angel Rodriguez, from Dr. Krop, is wired up just how Martin likes his players and there's a chip on his shoulder.
What it equals: The loss of Pullen is significant enough that it'll have an effect on the team, but the hope is that it doesn't change the culture. Rodney McGruder's role will expand and Kansas State's toughness should help it stay on the course Martin's laid for it. K-State is at the point where older players should be able to step into larger roles and if one of the three recruits can step up, the Wildcats' winning ways will continue.

In all seriousness, just don't rough ridin' run people off, frank.

catzacker

« Reply #2355 on: March 13, 2011, 10:16:09 PM »
5. Kansas State Wildcats

In all seriousness, just don't effing run people off, frank.

this.  i'll lose it if russell leaves.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: March 13, 2011, 11:52:11 PM »
5. Kansas State Wildcats

No crap

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: March 13, 2011, 11:54:29 PM »
5. Kansas State Wildcats

I want him to stay too, but you "losing it" is no ones barometer of what is good and what isn't.  You're a drama queen, you'd lose it if Myles left

catzacker

« Reply #2358 on: March 14, 2011, 06:17:42 AM »
5. Kansas State Wildcats

I want him to stay too, but you "losing it" is no ones barometer of what is good and what isn't.  You're a drama queen, you'd lose it if Myles left

how's the testicle?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #2359 on: March 14, 2011, 09:31:02 AM »

Would you really lose it if Russell left?  Really?

JHR and Ojeleye have a higher ORtg than he does.  Irving has a higher eFG%, as do the majority of our other guards and forwards.  And his TO% is on par with Kelly, and his A/TO ratio is pretty subpar.

I guess a few people remember the two or three games he shot really well and think he's a lot better than he really is.   I guess I fail to see how Jones from Seward wouldn't be an equal option, and considering Jones has some experience being the man beyond high school, how that intangible wouldn't be better than Russell's experience sitting on the bench for two years.

I mean, if we keep Russell, fine.  I hope he gets off the bench, gets better on defense, and he stops turning the ball over so much.  Otherwise, he can go play at some C-USA or MAC school and we can replace him with a JUCO guy that may actually spend less than 89% of his time in the coach's doghouse.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: March 14, 2011, 09:40:48 AM »
I guess I fail to see how Jones from Seward wouldn't be an equal option, and considering Jones has some experience being the man beyond high school, how that intangible wouldn't be better than Russell's experience sitting on the bench for two years.

Have you seen Frank's juco guard recruits?

I'd take someone that has been in the program for two years but may be average at best offensively over Jeudre Gilwaji any day of the week.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: March 14, 2011, 09:43:01 AM »
guys we need scorers.  we need them bad.  russell has shown he can score at times.  frank is just going to have to swallow his pride and play him (though I bet he doesn't....because he's a dumbass)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: March 14, 2011, 09:50:10 AM »
guys we need scorers.  we need them bad.  russell has shown he can score at times.  frank is just going to have to swallow his pride and play him (though I bet he doesn't....because he's a dumbass)

I think Spradling and Peterson both are just as good as scoring as Russell.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: March 14, 2011, 10:04:07 AM »

well christ, run everyone off, then. We're all rough ridin' set. :cool:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: March 14, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »
guys we need scorers.  we need them bad.  russell has shown he can score at times.  frank is just going to have to swallow his pride and play him (though I bet he doesn't....because he's a dumbass)

It absolutely kills me, but I agree on keeping nick for now.  Peterson only has one year left.  Nick has two.  If we were to run anyone, it would have to be Myles at this point, and the kid coming in would have to be very close to a guarantee that he would get minutes and get buckets, and I just don't see thats happening.

Best case scenario would be if Nick stays and learns to stop being a FP,TC, etc over the off season and also learns to stop rough ridin' up on the court so often.  The problem is that the likelihood of this happening is only a hair higher than finding a get-buckets transfer.  

Doesn't look good either way at this point, but you gotta ride the best odds you get.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: March 14, 2011, 10:06:13 AM »

well christ, run everyone off, then. We're all rough ridin' set. :cool:

I don't want him run off the team, but it's not worth melting down over if he is.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: March 14, 2011, 10:06:26 AM »
guys we need scorers.  we need them bad.  russell has shown he can score at times.  frank is just going to have to swallow his pride and play him (though I bet he doesn't....because he's a dumbass)

Nick is much better at penetrating than Sprads, and similar size. Though not as quick as 95, he is going to be a better scorer in the lane b/c he has more length.

I agree that keeping Nick would be much better than taking a flyer on Shawshank or Jones.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: March 14, 2011, 11:09:20 AM »

:powerespect:

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: March 14, 2011, 11:18:33 AM »
WGAF if Nick is here or gone next year...I mean really?  Meltdown over a good scorer who plays subpar defense and continually makes horrendous decisions at key times?  There's a reason the kid can't get off the bench, don't kid yourselves thinking you see something in him that will make him a key contributor next year.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #2369 on: March 14, 2011, 12:11:09 PM »
WGAF if Nick is here or gone next year...I mean really?  Meltdown over a good scorer who plays subpar defense and continually makes horrendous decisions at key times?  There's a reason the kid can't get off the bench, don't kid yourselves thinking you see something in him that will make him a key contributor next year.

I think everyone would prefer Nick stay because he does have potential, and you don't want to lose a kid who has shown a nice ceiling.  Especially when he's been in your program for two years.

On the other hand, I don't think losing him would be a huge loss because, frankly, when you look at his kenpom numbers, they look marginally worse than other players in the freshman/sophomore class.  He is obviously talented, but his issue appears to be mental in nature, and that, obviously, is the most difficult to correct.  His high turnover ratio, especially for a guard, is very concerning.

Anyway, I hope he stays, but my gut says he's going to leave, and I'm not going to freak out about it because something tells me he's not mentally there to handle playing high level D1 ball.  But, that's just an opinion.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: March 14, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »

Nick is much better at penetrating than Sprads, and similar size. Though not as quick as 95, he is going to be a better scorer in the lane b/c he has more length.

I agree that keeping Nick would be much better than taking a flyer on Shawshank or Jones.

PFFTTT  :lol:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: March 14, 2011, 12:19:49 PM »
I kinda want Shawshank.

Talk about jumping into MCMW with both feet.

Also, the nickname would be the best on the team. 

Can he dance?

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: March 14, 2011, 02:15:51 PM »
So OU commit Robert Golf, 6-9 center at Hutch Juco, any good?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: March 14, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »
On the other hand, I don't think losing him would be a huge loss because, frankly, when you look at his kenpom numbers, they look marginally worse than other players in the freshman/sophomore class. 

None of the players Frank have run off have been "huge losses" when you look at them individually, but when you look at them overall, they make up a big hit on the program. This trend of replacing 3 star juniors with 3 star freshmen/shitty jucos just isn't a good formula for creating a winning program when you can't beat tourney teams for recruits.

I mean, I hate Irving more than any player in the Frank era but even I don't see the point of running him off. Sure, he's not all-league, but he will be a hell of a lot more successful playing FrankBall than anyone Frank could possibly bring in the spring.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: March 14, 2011, 02:44:28 PM »
Jones reportedly taking unofficial to Manhappenin today.

http://twitter.com/cavwalsh#