Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Thread  (Read 457125 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Recruiting Thread
« Reply #2225 on: February 10, 2011, 09:04:20 PM »
I think it's a good sign that our staff is acknowledging that we are going to need some scoring punch and offensive creativity next year.

i think it's a bad sign that the staff is panicking and running off three stars with two years in the program to bring in new guys with marginal talent.

you may have seen the gpc poster/former seward co player that said jones is more midmajorey than big 12ey?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: February 10, 2011, 09:28:20 PM »
This guy is Judre Awjirving as far as I can tell.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:08 AM »
you may have seen the gpc poster/former seward co player that said jones is more midmajorey than big 12ey?

Is this the thread you're talking about? If so, the guy says he's never actually seen Jones play, he just recounts the cautionary tale of Tony Smith.

http://kansasstate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=419&mid=142292363&sid=889&tid=142292363&style=2&Override=1

If this is not the thread/poster you are referring to, please direct me to it.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: February 11, 2011, 02:57:28 PM »
Djurisic eval from National Prep School Invitational that took place last weekend:

"Nemenja Djurisic (South Kent, Conn./ South Kent)
2011, PF, 6-8, 220 pounds
Djurisic solidified himself as one of the best post players left on the market with a pair of big performances this weekend. While not an explosive athlete, Djurisic has a versatile skill set and excellent feel for the game that make him a perfect fit for a program that likes to run offense. He stretched the floor to the 3-point line and also showed a crafty low-post game making good use of a Vlade Divac flip move. He was rugged and physical inside the paint and consequently able to rebound in traffic on both ends of the floor. Defensively, he was solid in the post, maintaining constant position between the ball and the basket and timely rotations to help on dribble penetration. "

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6098874

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: February 11, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »
Djurisic eval from National Prep School Invitational that took place last weekend:

"Nemenja Djurisic (South Kent, Conn./ South Kent)
2011, PF, 6-8, 220 pounds
Djurisic solidified himself as one of the best post players left on the market with a pair of big performances this weekend. While not an explosive athlete, Djurisic has a versatile skill set and excellent feel for the game that make him a perfect fit for a program that likes to run offense. He stretched the floor to the 3-point line and also showed a crafty low-post game making good use of a Vlade Divac flip move. He was rugged and physical inside the paint and consequently able to rebound in traffic on both ends of the floor. Defensively, he was solid in the post, maintaining constant position between the ball and the basket and timely rotations to help on dribble penetration. "

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6098874

will take

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: February 11, 2011, 03:02:45 PM »
Could probably do worse, sounds like he's really starting to pick up his game.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: February 11, 2011, 03:03:58 PM »

Can't find a Rivals profile, is he on any of the scouting sites radars?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: February 11, 2011, 03:04:50 PM »

They had me at
one of the best post players left on the market

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: February 11, 2011, 03:06:40 PM »

They had me at

wasn't the 2011 big market shitty to begin with??
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: February 11, 2011, 03:08:04 PM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: February 11, 2011, 03:24:03 PM »

They had me at

wasn't the 2011 big market shitty to begin with??

Oh yeah, we have a couple of lower ranked bigs from said shitty class already in the fold  :drool:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: February 11, 2011, 03:27:50 PM »
Is this the thread you're talking about? If so, the guy says he's never actually seen Jones play, he just recounts the cautionary tale of Tony Smith.

http://kansasstate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=419&mid=142292363&sid=889&tid=142292363&style=2&Override=1

yeah, that's it.  i was thinking of this quote.  it isn't exactly as i remembered it, but it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence either.

i haven't seen him play, but i know a lot of people who have. lets just say the opinions are mixed as to whether he can play in the big 12. if frank gives him a scholly, great; i'll get to root for a kid who played juco ball for my old juco (and coach) and is playing d-1 for my alma mater. however, i'm not going to heap a ton of expectations on the kid, either.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: February 11, 2011, 03:29:56 PM »
Could probably do worse.

oh, i don't think there's any question about that.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: February 11, 2011, 04:38:34 PM »

yeah, that's it.  i was thinking of this quote.  it isn't exactly as i remembered it, but it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence either.

i haven't seen him play, but i know a lot of people who have. lets just say the opinions are mixed as to whether he can play in the big 12. if frank gives him a scholly, great; i'll get to root for a kid who played juco ball for my old juco (and coach) and is playing d-1 for my alma mater. however, i'm not going to heap a ton of expectations on the kid, either.

Let me say I don't have GREAT expectations for Jones and that won't change if he ends up at KSU(unless he averages 30 and 7 down the stretch but that's not very likely).

What I do like is that our staff has recognized that we will have a scoring void to fill in our backcourt(and on our roster as a whole) next year and they are at least making SOME effort to fill that hole. Is 1 recruit going to be able do that?  Almost certainly no. A lot of JC kids don't amount to much but did anybody really expect J.P. Olukemi to put up the #'s he has this year? Matt Pressey wasn't a really highly rated recruit but he's stepped in and been a solid contributor at Missouri.

In a perfect world, our staff would have had the foresight to see this problem coming and would have put the hard sell on D'Angelo Harrison, Ryan Boatright, or even a Nurideen Lindsey or we'd be able to jump in the hunt for Trevor Lacey. But obviously it's not perfect. If Jones is the best we can do, then wehy sit there and hold on to the ship when there's a CHANCE, even if minimal, that he could make a difference?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: February 11, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
What I do like is that our staff has recognized that we will have a scoring void to fill in our backcourt(and on our roster as a whole) next year and they are at least making SOME effort to fill that hole. Is 1 recruit going to be able do that?  Almost certainly no. A lot of JC kids don't amount to much but did anybody really expect J.P. Olukemi to put up the #'s he has this year? Matt Pressey wasn't a really highly rated recruit but he's stepped in and been a solid contributor at Missouri.

In a perfect world, our staff would have had the foresight to see this problem coming and would have put the hard sell on D'Angelo Harrison, Ryan Boatright, or even a Nurideen Lindsey or we'd be able to jump in the hunt for Trevor Lacey. But obviously it's not perfect. If Jones is the best we can do, then wehy sit there and hold on to the ship when there's a CHANCE, even if minimal, that he could make a difference?

i guess that's where we differ.  kstate doesn't have a void in the backcourt.  they have an overabundance of junior guards.  i don't think this guy (or anyone else) is likely to be better than the guards already in place.  i do not think running off one of the current guards, to replace with this guy (or anyone else) will improve the team.

i discuss running off a guard because the staff is apparently talking about taking both a big and a guard this spring and there is currently just a single open scholarship.  i'm also against filling that ship, fwiw.  it should go to peterson or lawrence for the year, then be filled in 2012.  i'm absolutely against taking an '11 leftover + adding to the mountain of openings to fill in '13 rather than taking more '12s.  but, if they absolutely can't stop themselves from filling the ship this year, a big is more needed than another junior guard.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: February 11, 2011, 10:42:11 PM »
I'm telling everyone to look out. Gonna be a lot of talent coming out of Florida in the next couple years.. #2012 #2013.

pastrana trying to save the coaching staff from themselves.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: February 13, 2011, 06:19:44 PM »
Isaih "Snoopy" Jones (Christian Life) commits to U A B. Head coach Mike Davis finally gets a Texas hs grad to commit.

Correction: Jones' nickname is "Hoopy"

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #2242 on: February 14, 2011, 01:35:39 PM »
Jones is now one of the hottest Juco recruits in the country with Kansas State being the latest to offer.  “Yeah, Coach Frank Martin and a couple of his assistants have come in and watched me play.  They came the other night and by halftime they were leaving, and told my head coach they've seen enough and they wanted me,” said Jones.

Jones sports an impressive list of scholarship offers that should do nothing but grow.  "West Virginia, Marquette, Oklahoma State, Arkansas State, San Jose State and of course Kansas State."

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=132:former-chicago-simeon-star-jeremy-jones-of-seward-county-is-one-of-the-hottest-juco-recruits-in-the-country&catid=35:news

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: February 14, 2011, 01:42:07 PM »
Jones is now one of the hottest Juco recruits in the country with Kansas State being the latest to offer.  “Yeah, Coach Frank Martin and a couple of his assistants have come in and watched me play.  They came the other night and by halftime they were leaving, and told my head coach they've seen enough and they wanted me,” said Jones.

Jones sports an impressive list of scholarship offers that should do nothing but grow.  "West Virginia, Marquette, Oklahoma State, Arkansas State, San Jose State and of course Kansas State."

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=132:former-chicago-simeon-star-jeremy-jones-of-seward-county-is-one-of-the-hottest-juco-recruits-in-the-country&catid=35:news

I think this is important too. I bet we're telling him he can be the next Pullen.  And if he's good enough, we should be.

Immediate playing time will be a major factor.  "I'm not sure of where I'm going to visit yet because I'm trying stay focused on our season and get to the tournament. But the schools I will visit will be the schools I feel give me the best chance to come in and play right away,” said Jones.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: February 14, 2011, 01:44:31 PM »
:horrorsurprise:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #2245 on: February 14, 2011, 01:51:30 PM »

I think this is important too. I bet we're telling him he can be the next Pullen.  And if he's good enough, we should be.

Immediate playing time will be a major factor.  "I'm not sure of where I'm going to visit yet because I'm trying stay focused on our season and get to the tournament. But the schools I will visit will be the schools I feel give me the best chance to come in and play right away,” said Jones.

This has to mean a current back court guy is getting run.  Has to.  Has.  To.

The OSU/West Virginia/Marquette offers tell me that this is a kid worth putting an offer out there for.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: February 14, 2011, 01:54:01 PM »
This has to mean a current back court guy is getting run.  Has to.  Has.  To.

The OSU/West Virginia/Marquette offers tell me that this is a kid worth putting an offer out there for.

Yes, but we'll be replacing a JR guard with a JR guard. 

Hopefully its a move that pays off if that's the direction we go.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: February 14, 2011, 01:57:26 PM »
Hopefully its a move that pays off if that's the direction we go.

It will not.*

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: February 14, 2011, 02:34:58 PM »

Those guys "offer" everyone. It's meaningless. Well, at least OSU and Marquette.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: February 14, 2011, 02:35:47 PM »
maybe they'll tell a hs big recruit that he should prep for a year because we need a juco guard since nick williams transferred.

would be great if jones could beat nu at the buzzer in a couple years though.