Author Topic: Future schedule update...  (Read 106260 times)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Future schedule update...
« Reply #625 on: January 14, 2021, 10:33:45 AM »
Well crap what?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 14, 2021, 10:35:07 AM »
arrowhead game would be more fun for us KC cats

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 14, 2021, 10:39:50 AM »
They began their process of collecting season ticket donations before this was announced.  Additionally, season ticket holders who didn't attend last year had their donations rolled over to this year when there were 8 scheduled games.  Per the article, they clearly mislead all of those people when they knew the game wasn't happening.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 14, 2021, 10:53:03 AM »
Why not just do this for all of our games? We could travel the country like the Harlem Globetrotters, netting an extra $1.5 to $3 million per game, and not have to spend a dime on maintenance.

I still have no idea how the math works out for the cowboys/Jerry. Like WTF does he get out of it

Is it possible to hand out tax breaks for every event held in the area that provides economic stimulus to hotels/restaurants/bars?  Or maybe to achieve tax breaks he is required to host "x" amount of events per year?

That being said if this is held in a post-COVID world there could be a solid 40k fans.  I'm sure that is decently profitable. 

how can they pay out $5.6 million with 40k fans when we net like $500k for a game with 50k fans?

https://twitter.com/jlkurtz/status/1349473249755885572

their margin is better than ours

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 14, 2021, 10:55:32 AM »
Yea I think MIR outlined parking as a big one.   Also since KSU doesn’t have stadium wide booze sales that’s probably another big difference.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: January 14, 2021, 11:06:32 AM »
They’ll need to treat this game there like minor league baseball, letting as many people as they can attend for little-to-nothing in order to make the money on parking and booze.

KSU football fans, just like for bowl games, would be wise to get their tickets from anywhere but KSU.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 14, 2021, 11:18:59 AM »
rough ridin' lol if allstate is paying $5m for this.

And I need to see the cowboys seat license holder that’s buying a ticket to this game.

I said it wouldn't surprise me, they're probably paying half of that. It really depends on how ESPN is selling it to their sponsor. K-State historically has good television numbers. If this gets on ABC Primetime it will draw at least 5 million viewers.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 14, 2021, 11:21:39 AM »
part of the AD's position on this, is that they are going to charge the same $$ for season tickets whether there are 7 or 8 home games. their position is that 7 is enough because it's like a normal season and the extra $$ to the athletic dept is worth the move. plus the excitement/branding/recruiting/"we have alumni in TX" talking points.

Don't forget that season ticket revenue will be down this year, even if it's a season sellout. I imagine there are lots of people like me who paid for 2020 season tickets but carried them over to 2021.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 14, 2021, 11:26:55 AM »
It%u2019s a tremendous challenge here and I think this has the opportunity for the most lucrative title sponsorships in college football, exists here today, and it%u2019s not, and it%u2019s not one to be taken lightly.

like what's preventing us from selling the OU game to Geico for like $2 million and cutting out Jerry?

What I gathered from MIR is that geico won’t pay close to that as things stand because while there’d be lizards and crap on the turf for that game, the announcers would not call it the geico dirt border war and be saying geico on tv 30 times.

Why the league can’t square that away with its tv partners, even if that meant such sponsorship money flowing thru conference hq and out to the members, idk.

This is correct, we can't provide the bang for your buck because we don't control the broadcast, therefore the exposure for the sponsor is limited. The reason why neither the Big 12 nor any other conference sells sponsorship media rights for regular games is saturation and not being able to guarantee what the broadcast window is going to be.  Sure we draw a 4 million people audience for OU games but that's a gamble that sponsors aren't willing to take. Even massive annual games like OSU Michigan and Notre Dame USC don't get game sponsors partnered with the broadcaster.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 14, 2021, 11:29:24 AM »
well crap

https://twitter.com/KellisRobinett/status/1349752601210974215?s=20

My theory that our money really wants this game in Texas. ESPN wants it there too. There's a reason why these week 1 classic games are either at AT&T Stadium and/or Mercedes Benz Stadium.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 14, 2021, 11:33:43 AM »
It%u2019s a tremendous challenge here and I think this has the opportunity for the most lucrative title sponsorships in college football, exists here today, and it%u2019s not, and it%u2019s not one to be taken lightly.

like what's preventing us from selling the OU game to Geico for like $2 million and cutting out Jerry?

What I gathered from MIR is that geico won’t pay close to that as things stand because while there’d be lizards and crap on the turf for that game, the announcers would not call it the geico dirt border war and be saying geico on tv 30 times.

Why the league can’t square that away with its tv partners, even if that meant such sponsorship money flowing thru conference hq and out to the members, idk.

This is correct, we can't provide the bang for your buck because we don't control the broadcast, therefore the exposure for the sponsor is limited. The reason why neither the Big 12 nor any other conference sells sponsorship media rights for regular games is saturation and not being able to guarantee what the broadcast window is going to be.  Sure we draw a 4 million people audience for OU games but that's a gamble that sponsors aren't willing to take. Even massive annual games like OSU Michigan and Notre Dame USC don't get game sponsors partnered with the broadcaster.

We used to have Dillons.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 14, 2021, 11:34:32 AM »
If this game being in dallas adjace inspires KSU and the conference to be even slightly more creative about how to make money on home games, it might be worth it. None of the roadblocks to making more in somewhat similar ways to what we’re seeing with this game seem impossible to get through.

And like rusty said, maybe they are making more already than what gene indicated, but he made it sound less to help try to justify this move.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 14, 2021, 11:37:11 AM »
They’ll need to treat this game there like minor league baseball, letting as many people as they can attend for little-to-nothing in order to make the money on parking and booze.

KSU football fans, just like for bowl games, would be wise to get their tickets from anywhere but KSU.

They can't and won't do that because it makes no sense. Your weird disdain for K-State athletics is blinding you to how much money this game will make everyone other than the Manhattan hospitality sector. AT&T Stadium has and will have much smaller events than this one will be. That stadium hosts high school football games, for fucks sake. I don't know why you keep acting like there will be 15,000 people at this game.

Also as far as the not buying tickets from K-State thing, if someone did that they would be getting them from the secondary market, those tickets come from the stadium PSL holders who you hinted in another post wouldn't buy tickets to this game.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 14, 2021, 11:41:25 AM »

We used to have Dillons.

We still do, that's not the same type of sponsorship we're taking about though. The difference between that sponsorship and the Allstate sponsorship is they get certain things from the broadcast partner, Dillons, Mammoth Turf, Pepsi, Kansas Farm Bureau, etc doesn't get the graphics, ad reads, etc. on the espn broadcast.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 14, 2021, 11:49:04 AM »
If this game being in dallas adjace inspires KSU and the conference to be even slightly more creative about how to make money on home games, it might be worth it. None of the roadblocks to making more in somewhat similar ways to what we’re seeing with this game seem impossible to get through.

And like rusty said, maybe they are making more already than what gene indicated, but he made it sound less to help try to justify this move.

The amount they make in a game day definitely fluctuates. That $500,000 is what we would get from your standard non con buyout. I've seen that we get as much as $1.5 million in gameday revenue from higher profile games. K-State does a pretty good job of maximizing their game day revenue. There isn't much more we can do right now other than raising prices of everything, and we already have really high ticket prices, especially comparing them to similarly sized stadiums and profile of the school. In the 90's we had the highest average season ticket price in all of college football, we aren't there anymore but we're still firmly entrenched in the top 25 of average ticket price. Our lag in athletic department revenue is on apparel sales and media rights.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 14, 2021, 12:05:17 PM »

The amount they make in a game day definitely fluctuates. That $500,000 is what we would get from your standard non con buyout. I've seen that we get as much as $1.5 million in gameday revenue from higher profile games. K-State does a pretty good job of maximizing their game day revenue. There isn't much more we can do right now other than raising prices of everything, and we already have really high ticket prices, especially comparing them to similarly sized stadiums and profile of the school. In the 90's we had the highest average season ticket price in all of college football, we aren't there anymore but we're still firmly entrenched in the top 25 of average ticket price. Our lag in athletic department revenue is on apparel sales and media rights.

yeah I think that makes it clear that Gene is intentionally misleading folks. there's no way the Stanford game would only net $500k in MHK when there's no buyout involved.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 14, 2021, 12:22:26 PM »
He lied to us about the timing of hiring Klieman, now this.  Where will the lies end Gene?!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 14, 2021, 12:33:10 PM »

yeah I think that makes it clear that Gene is intentionally misleading folks. there's no way the Stanford game would only net $500k in MHK when there's no buyout involved.
Per K-State's 2019 financials, K-State brings in ~1.875m in revenue per home game with tickets/parking.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 14, 2021, 12:39:38 PM »

ya you can't look at each game in a vacuum

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 14, 2021, 12:46:26 PM »

They can't and won't do that because it makes no sense. Your weird disdain for K-State athletics is blinding you to how much money this game will make everyone other than the Manhattan hospitality sector. AT&T Stadium has and will have much smaller events than this one will be. That stadium hosts high school football games, for fucks sake. I don't know why you keep acting like there will be 15,000 people at this game.

Also as far as the not buying tickets from K-State thing, if someone did that they would be getting them from the secondary market, those tickets come from the stadium PSL holders who you hinted in another post wouldn't buy tickets to this game.

If the largest profit is made from parking and selling crap to people who are inside the stadium, it makes a lot of sense to get as many people parking and into the stadium as they can.  For example, make sure that every possible unbought ticket is in the hands of sponsors giving away tickets and places like BBBS who'd be getting them to their volunteers who'd go for free and spend money on hot dogs and drinks (non-booze in the case of BBBS).

Even if they end up falling to more stanford fans, lay tickets out on the counters of the shitloads of taco bells in the area.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: January 14, 2021, 01:24:29 PM »

If the largest profit is made from parking and selling crap to people who are inside the stadium, it makes a lot of sense to get as many people parking and into the stadium as they can.  For example, make sure that every possible unbought ticket is in the hands of sponsors giving away tickets and places like BBBS who'd be getting them to their volunteers who'd go for free and spend money on hot dogs and drinks (non-booze in the case of BBBS).

Even if they end up falling to more stanford fans, lay tickets out on the counters of the shitloads of taco bells in the area.

The largest profit the Cowboys and AT&T stadium will make will be from tickets of the PSL holders, corporate clients with premium tickets who are entertaining clients. Also people who get free tickets are absolutely not going to pay $50 to park. They don't care about the concessions thing, they'll just close some of the stands to keep their costs down.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 14, 2021, 01:35:03 PM »
The largest profit the Cowboys and AT&T stadium will make will be from tickets of the PSL holders, corporate clients with premium tickets who are entertaining clients. Also people who get free tickets are absolutely not going to pay $50 to park. They don't care about the concessions thing, they'll just close some of the stands to keep their costs down.

Hmmm, I guess this gets back to what I thought I'd asked earlier but must've got distracted before hitting post:

How many paying attendees will there be at this game in arlington vs. how many there'd have been if it was in MHK?

Guess it must be the different worlds things, but it's really hard for me to picture a regular or even well-to-do texan that has no connection to these teams choosing to go to this game and especially paying for it, as opposed to doing other things on a long weekend.  Break up the united states?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 14, 2021, 09:46:57 PM »

Hmmm, I guess this gets back to what I thought I'd asked earlier but must've got distracted before hitting post:

How many paying attendees will there be at this game in arlington vs. how many there'd have been if it was in MHK?

Guess it must be the different worlds things, but it's really hard for me to picture a regular or even well-to-do texan that has no connection to these teams choosing to go to this game and especially paying for it, as opposed to doing other things on a long weekend.  Break up the united states?

My guess is that there will be 40,000 seats sold, but the pandemic can and likely will eat into that. What will the PSL holders be doing that day. Either drinking good bourbon in their luxury seat, going to the game because it's the first week of a new college football season, or in most cases, sitting on their couch, channel surfing, and hoping whomever got their seats on the secondary market doesn't do something to get that PSL holder barred from their seats.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 14, 2021, 10:16:01 PM »
What will the PSL holders be doing that day.

Go to a beach or lake for the weekend having not bought the ticket to begin with and having to dick around with re-selling it to some random?  If a big football fan, go to their own college team's game?  :dunno:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 14, 2021, 10:55:50 PM »
What will the PSL holders be doing that day.

Go to a beach or lake for the weekend having not bought the ticket to begin with and having to dick around with re-selling it to some random?  If a big football fan, go to their own college team's game?  :dunno:

We get it man, rando west coast sports fan thinks everyone but Kansas State will lose money and regret having the game despite them already having had scores of similar events. Write a letter to the Dallas Morning News and try to convince them of your theory. I think all of these people have this figured out by now, but who knows, I'm certain you can give them something they haven't already thought about that convinces everyone this is the shittiest idea ever.