Author Topic: Future schedule update...  (Read 106316 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Future schedule update...
« Reply #600 on: January 13, 2021, 05:43:44 PM »
MIR will likely come along at 3 a.m tomorrow to give us the real scoop

:thumbs:

I'm also curious about how this game being played in Arlington achieves exposure and recruiting benefits.  Is the theory that the game being played in Texas will make recruits there aware of our existence and/or that they'll go to the game and be interested?  Is it a thing where we can give local recruits tickets or access and that's a cheap way to recruit compared to getting them to KS?

https://twitter.com/jlkurtz/status/1349498158217355265

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #601 on: January 13, 2021, 05:59:32 PM »
Think of all of those potential recruits we can reach, but then be too scared to actually pursue. 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 13, 2021, 06:12:59 PM »
Think of all of those potential recruits we can reach, but then be too scared to actually pursue. 

Truth be told I think this staff places relatively low importance on TX recruiting.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 13, 2021, 07:47:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/KellisRobinett/status/1349471492090826752?s=20
of course it will feel like a home game.
not surprised  that the media continues to draw parallels between the jerry dome and bsfs either

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 13, 2021, 08:04:41 PM »
EXPOSURE. RECRUITING.

if we keep saying it might start to make sense

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 13, 2021, 08:29:00 PM »

LOL, I slept for literally 90 minutes last night, no chance of seeing 3 tonight.

-The $2.2 million dollars that K-State will net, in my opinion, isn't worth the damage to the fan base and local economy. I get what Kurtz is saying but the town and university have an obligation to each other, especially in places like Manhattan, Stillwater, Ames, Morgantown, Pullman, etc. In addition to this that $2.2 million dollar net is likely a little high given this would have been the first game that replaced non premium seats with bigly premium seats.

-Our budget in non COVID years is now over $80 million dollars, $83 in 2018-19 iirc. There are places and ways that the $2.2 million could really go a long way. You heard about those athletic departments cutting programs, not K-State of course because we don't have extra sports to cut, anyway those programs cut generally saved $2-$3 million annually depending on the school, Iowa saved $2 mil by cutting their programs, Stanford saved just over $3 mil. For us that money is just going into the general fund, nothing is really being saved. To me, the juice is definitely not worth the squeeze, especially when you're trying to get season ticket holders back, cutting that game doesn't help. I do wonder if some of the huge money donors leaned on gene to do this, we have a lot of money coming from Texas to the athletic department, it's worth a thought.

-Jerry gets the money from concessions and parking which is a rough ridin' ton of money. The money we are getting, outside of the ticket revenue is essentially from the title sponsorship of the game. We don't have our own third tier media rights anymore when the conference started the ESPN+ deal, essentially all the teams in that deal split that money. FYI our third tier football game will be the Southern Illinois game, The oscar Bowl! Anyway, this game won't net Jerry as much money as the other opening week classics, this will be more like those Tech vs. Baylor games they played there that had like 35,000 fans there. He'll still make money though, crap they have boxing matches in there.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 13, 2021, 09:02:04 PM »

LOL, I slept for literally 90 minutes last night, no chance of seeing 3 tonight.

-The $2.2 million dollars that K-State will net, in my opinion, isn't worth the damage to the fan base and local economy. I get what Kurtz is saying but the town and university have an obligation to each other, especially in places like Manhattan, Stillwater, Ames, Morgantown, Pullman, etc. In addition to this that $2.2 million dollar net is likely a little high given this would have been the first game that replaced non premium seats with bigly premium seats.

-Our budget in non COVID years is now over $80 million dollars, $83 in 2018-19 iirc. There are places and ways that the $2.2 million could really go a long way. You heard about those athletic departments cutting programs, not K-State of course because we don't have extra sports to cut, anyway those programs cut generally saved $2-$3 million annually depending on the school, Iowa saved $2 mil by cutting their programs, Stanford saved just over $3 mil. For us that money is just going into the general fund, nothing is really being saved. To me, the juice is definitely not worth the squeeze, especially when you're trying to get season ticket holders back, cutting that game doesn't help. I do wonder if some of the huge money donors leaned on gene to do this, we have a lot of money coming from Texas to the athletic department, it's worth a thought.

-Jerry gets the money from concessions and parking which is a rough ridin' ton of money. The money we are getting, outside of the ticket revenue is essentially from the title sponsorship of the game. We don't have our own third tier media rights anymore when the conference started the ESPN+ deal, essentially all the teams in that deal split that money. FYI our third tier football game will be the Southern Illinois game, The oscar Bowl! Anyway, this game won't net Jerry as much money as the other opening week classics, this will be more like those Tech vs. Baylor games they played there that had like 35,000 fans there. He'll still make money though, crap they have boxing matches in there.

This is basically why it is pissing me off so much. I get Kurtz and others being all "well this is great for AD department, win win for them!" but the goddamn city takes it on the chin. I think it's laughable for him/others to insinuate there won't be an economic impact of that the other games will be able to pick up.

IMO if this upcoming season was after a normal year (not 2020) I would be upset but definitely keyed down a lot, we've been operating at 6-7 home games for over a decade so 7 games is "normal" for a year. But man, after last year, losing 2 home games, losing so many people due to restrictions, like, come on guys, read the goddamn room, don't sell your hometown down the river.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 13, 2021, 09:04:22 PM »
I think this partnership between K-State and Allstate could pay HUGE dividends to both the university and the city of Manhattan for a long time into the future.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 13, 2021, 09:20:41 PM »

I wonder what Allstate pays, and why.

That’s wild to me that the stadium will make much on concessions and parking considering they probably have to operate like they would for a regular game even though it’ll be 1/3 full.

Seems like the lesson is that KSU needs to build up its regular home games like they’re big events and be suckering companies into being title sponsors.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 13, 2021, 09:33:01 PM »

That’s wild to me that the stadium will make much on concessions and parking considering they probably have to operate like they would for a regular game even though it’ll be 1/3 full.

Seems like the lesson is that KSU needs to build up its regular home games like they’re big events and be suckering companies into being title sponsors.
Yeah and how can they make that much more on parking with fewer fans than we'd have in Manhattan? I'm just baffled by this

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 14, 2021, 12:56:57 AM »

The title sponsorship of that game will easily be seven figures. You can usually tell the level of sponsorship by the actual sponsor. Bowl game sponsorship goes from $300,000 for games like the Bahamas Bowl to $20,000,000 for the Rose Bowl. I don't know the contract but $5,000,000 wouldn't surprise me. I also don't know how that money is split for this type of game, but the network gets a cut too.

We do sell game sponsorships and have for years, I think our sponsorships go from $50,000 to $200,000 depending on the game. The game sponsor gets their logo on tickets, the game program, and extra video board signage. The game sponsor doesn't get television reads, so that's why those are much lower, even for opponents like OU and UT.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 14, 2021, 01:36:21 AM »

Yeah and how can they make that much more on parking with fewer fans than we'd have in Manhattan? I'm just baffled by this

One important distinction here is that, again without seeing the contract, I think K-State only gets the ticket revenue for the tickets they sell. I'm assuming the cowboys get the money from the tickets they sell to their personal seat license holders and their premium seat holders, that's where they are going to make all of their money.

As far as non ticket revenue, when you go to a stadium, almost any stadium, the building makes back 90% of the cost of every single thing you buy. That $10 beer is a $9 profit. With parking stadiums usually get paid twice, once from the person parking their car and then again from the city or county that stadium is in. I believe parking at Cowboys Stadium for non cowboys games is $50, it's $100 a game for Cowboys games. Again, don't know the specifics of what the cowboys are doing but it isn't unusual for this type of deal. Usually this doesn't manifest itself in getting a check from the government but a reduction in rent. I believe the cowboys pay $2,000,000 in rent. If they get to double dip on parking that's usually something like a quarter per car in rent reduction.

I think my first post but this will generate similar numbers than a big boxing match would in AT&T Stadium. They keep their numbers for that stuff pretty quiet, the NFL requires them to release their numbers for NFL games. However, here in the pandemic, there was a fight in the Alamodome. That fight drew 9000, the city of a San Antonio still made almost $2 million dollars off of it.

I paid for a sport management degree to use it on a message board in the middle of the night.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 14, 2021, 02:20:37 AM »
rough ridin' lol if allstate is paying $5m for this.

And I need to see the cowboys seat license holder that’s buying a ticket to this game.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 14, 2021, 03:30:13 AM »

Truth be told I think this staff places relatively low importance on TX recruiting.

I’d hate for that to be the case, because that pretty dumb. I don’t see them as dumb, and would like to continue to think the same way.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 14, 2021, 09:16:13 AM »
I understand where Kurtz is coming from and agree with him on 90% of stuff, but the businesses getting hurt are likely the same ones that pay to advertise on KMAN. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: January 14, 2021, 09:26:39 AM »
I understand where Kurtz is coming from and agree with him on 90% of stuff, but the businesses getting hurt are likely the same ones that pay to advertise on KMAN.
Great point.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 14, 2021, 09:33:37 AM »
Manhattan KS after that Allstate money starts rolling in.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 14, 2021, 09:37:23 AM »
part of the AD's position on this, is that they are going to charge the same $$ for season tickets whether there are 7 or 8 home games. their position is that 7 is enough because it's like a normal season and the extra $$ to the athletic dept is worth the move. plus the excitement/branding/recruiting/"we have alumni in TX" talking points.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 14, 2021, 09:43:15 AM »
It’s a tremendous challenge here and I think this has the opportunity for the most lucrative title sponsorships in college football, exists here today, and it’s not, and it’s not one to be taken lightly.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 14, 2021, 09:47:02 AM »
It%u2019s a tremendous challenge here and I think this has the opportunity for the most lucrative title sponsorships in college football, exists here today, and it%u2019s not, and it%u2019s not one to be taken lightly.

like what's preventing us from selling the OU game to Geico for like $2 million and cutting out Jerry?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 14, 2021, 09:52:05 AM »
It%u2019s a tremendous challenge here and I think this has the opportunity for the most lucrative title sponsorships in college football, exists here today, and it%u2019s not, and it%u2019s not one to be taken lightly.

like what's preventing us from selling the OU game to Geico for like $2 million and cutting out Jerry?

What I gathered from MIR is that geico won’t pay close to that as things stand because while there’d be lizards and crap on the turf for that game, the announcers would not call it the geico dirt border war and be saying geico on tv 30 times.

Why the league can’t square that away with its tv partners, even if that meant such sponsorship money flowing thru conference hq and out to the members, idk.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 14, 2021, 10:02:21 AM »

What I gathered from MIR is that geico won’t pay close to that as things stand because while there’d be lizards and crap on the turf for that game, the announcers would not call it the geico dirt border war and be saying geico on tv 30 times.

Why the league can’t square that away with its tv partners, even if that meant such sponsorship money flowing thru conference hq and out to the members, idk.

i have it on good authority that the geiko gecko is, in fact, CGI. If that's true then i mean, this seems like an advertising goldmine. Just imagine, you have an injury timeout and the gecko rushes over and takes a look and says "i hope this bloke has good inshoorance" and since he's GCI like you don't actually have to let a talking gecko run out on the field so the injured player or medical staff really won't be any the wiser

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 14, 2021, 10:08:07 AM »
part of the AD's position on this, is that they are going to charge the same $$ for season tickets whether there are 7 or 8 home games. their position is that 7 is enough because it's like a normal season and the extra $$ to the athletic dept is worth the move. plus the excitement/branding/recruiting/"we have alumni in TX" talking points.

By that logic, they charged the same $$ when there were 6 home games the year we went to Stanford so eff that. 

I'm pretty sure that the tickets are less/more based on the number of games but the donation stays the same.  The donation is the most expensive part of the tickets.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 14, 2021, 10:32:54 AM »
We're doing something terribly wrong if we're only netting $500k from a home game where we don't pay the opponent (or Gene is being intentionally misleading). How do we afford to pay someone like Buffalo $900k?

https://fbschedules.com/kansas-state-buffalo-2020-football-schedule/