Author Topic: The Future  (Read 18029 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: The Future
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 09:11:07 AM »
FWIW, Judge will only go NBA (early) if hes putting up 20 and 10. 

I'd say the chances of Judge transfering are >> NBA

Both of these statements are ridiculous imo

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 09:12:08 AM »

I don't see how transferring would help Judge AT ALL. Dude still gives 110% effort and isn't constantly in Frank's doghouse.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 09:12:40 AM »

yeah.  really ridiculous.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 09:14:53 AM »
Looking back what we thought our post-beasley roster would be, would we think a core of Pullen, Clemente, McGruder, and Samuels would be a top 15 team?   (Considering Judge has basically been non-existent).

Probably not.  A lot can be happen, especially w/ transfers.

good point.  still i'd hate to see kstate fan's get all missourish and assume that martin's system and eye for talent will turn any non-random assortment of martin recruited 3 stars into an top 15 team.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

catzacker

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 09:16:47 AM »
Looking back what we thought our post-beasley roster would be, would we think a core of Pullen, Clemente, McGruder, and Samuels would be a top 15 team?   (Considering Judge has basically been non-existent).

Probably not.  A lot can be happen, especially w/ transfers.

yeah, that's why is said irving and russell's development is huge along with gruds and judge becoming elite-ish type players.  we could very well end up with shipman's and kadji's.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2010, 09:23:43 AM »
Looking back what we thought our post-beasley roster would be, would we think a core of Pullen, Clemente, McGruder, and Samuels would be a top 15 team?   (Considering Judge has basically been non-existent).

Probably not.  A lot can be happen, especially w/ transfers.

good point.  still i'd hate to see kstate fan's get all missourish and assume that martin's system and eye for talent will turn any non-random assortment of martin recruited 3 stars into an top 15 team.

I'm holding out hope for a CK-ish transfer, more than I'm banking on Frank's magical system.  I've pretty much given up hope of 5 star recruits, and barely think we have a chance w/ fringe top 100 guys any more (unless they're transfers).

:embarrassed:

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 09:25:32 AM »
How good is Nino Williams?
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 09:25:45 AM »
Looking back what we thought our post-beasley roster would be, would we think a core of Pullen, Clemente, McGruder, and Samuels would be a top 15 team?   (Considering Judge has basically been non-existent).

Probably not.  A lot can be happen, especially w/ transfers.

I'm holding out hope for a CK-ish transfer, more than I'm banking on Frank's magical system.  I've pretty much given up hope of 5 star recruits, and barely think we have a chance w/ fringe top 100 guys any more (unless they're transfers).

that's why im hoping our program actually being good and on tv and stuff will help. Time will tell.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 09:30:05 AM »

ck has been good lately, but i think if you wanted to pick out reasons why kstate is better than expected this year, it is like 70% unrated 3 star pullen playing like a 1st or 2nd team all big 12 player.  maybe 20% unrated, late-recruited 3 star samuels playing like an hon mention.

don't get why you are down on kstate future recruiting.  the staff knows how to recruit, and the environment is getting easier, not harder.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 09:38:22 AM »
ck has been good lately, but i think if you wanted to pick out reasons why kstate is better than expected this year, it is like 70% unrated 3 star pullen playing like a 1st or 2nd team all big 12 player.  maybe 20% unrated, late-recruited 3 star samuels playing like an hon mention.

I don't necessarily disagree.

don't get why you are down on kstate future recruiting.  the staff knows how to recruit, and the environment is getting easier, not harder.

because I haven't seen results.  I mean, our biggest recruiting success since the Judge commitment was stealing Nick Russell from SMU.  Don't see how the environment is changing significantly (easier or harder).  I don't think the positive media exposure mentioned in this thread helps as much as people think in the short term.  It takes a long period of sustained success to get random interest because you're on TV a lot.  IMO. 

Granted, as you have mentioned several times, we just don't know what's happening since J-Mart left.  So it might not be as bad as I suspect.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 09:45:20 AM »
Don't see how the environment is changing significantly (easier or harder).  I don't think the positive media exposure mentioned in this thread helps as much as people think in the short term.  It takes a long period of sustained success to get random interest because you're on TV a lot.  IMO. 

you mention it yourself.  on natl tv.  i don't think it takes a long time before that changes the environment.  maybe not is getting random interest, but in getting a better reception to targeted interest.  i don't think it takes that long.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 09:48:29 AM »

Granted, as you have mentioned several times, we just don't know what's happening since J-Mart left.  So it might not be as bad as I suspect.

Would love nothing more than ksu picking up a big commitment out of nowhere thanks to the impotence of kitchmanmeek.
- chunkles

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 09:56:24 AM »

Yeah, its amazing how those 2 have made up for the terrible, selfish play of Clemente.

And agreed on the "environment" part, if Frank and 'Te can't parlay some of this exposure into some more furtile recruiting then I'll be very disappointed. 

Learn from the DOD mistakes!

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 09:58:04 AM »
Clarification:  Transfering if Martin bails.

NBA talent yes, but stupid to dash to NBA if hes not putting up NBA quality numbers.  JMO
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 10:01:48 AM »

Yeah, its amazing how those 2 have made up for the terrible, selfish play of Clemente.

And agreed on the "environment" part, if Frank and 'Te can't parlay some of this exposure into some more furtile recruiting then I'll be very disappointed. 

Learn from the DOD mistakes!

Frank seems to be the anti-snyder. Hopefully recruiting reflects that.  :)

Offline Dcwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2010, 10:09:18 AM »

I don't necessarily disagree.

because I haven't seen results.  I mean, our biggest recruiting success since the Judge commitment was stealing Nick Russell from SMU.  Don't see how the environment is changing significantly (easier or harder).  I don't think the positive media exposure mentioned in this thread helps as much as people think in the short term.  It takes a long period of sustained success to get random interest because you're on TV a lot.  IMO. 

The Key is how we develop our players in the program. I have seen flashes of Russell which make him look like he has a bunch of upside! Irving will at very least be a lock down defender that can handle the ball without turning it over(unlike Sutton)! If you have a starting line of:

pg: Russell
sg: McGruds
sf: Samuels
pf: Judge
c: Assp.

That to me can be as good as the line-up we have now depending on Judge and Russells improvements! Now all you have to do is build up the bench! Transfers will help tho!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2010, 10:14:42 AM »
Clarification:  Transfering if Martin bails.

NBA talent yes, but stupid to dash to NBA if hes not putting up NBA quality numbers.  JMO

You are making yourself sound more Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) by the second

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2010, 10:17:13 AM »
 :runaway:
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2010, 11:14:52 AM »
Don't see how the environment is changing significantly (easier or harder).  I don't think the positive media exposure mentioned in this thread helps as much as people think in the short term.  It takes a long period of sustained success to get random interest because you're on TV a lot.  IMO. 

you mention it yourself.  on natl tv.  i don't think it takes a long time before that changes the environment.  maybe not is getting random interest, but in getting a better reception to targeted interest.  i don't think it takes that long.

Martin's validation is an important part of the equation as well..  He's a more proven commodity now.  Would be crazy to think more doors won't be open.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2010, 12:21:43 PM »
players go where they're told to go by their people, who, in theory, should be our people.  think art alverez.  think Te '430k.

don't give me this "I saw them on ESPN2" or "the better we are, the better we recruit" bullshit.  our staff needs to continue to leverage and strengthen our connections in the aau circuit while at the same time building new ones. 

i like dreaming of great transfers like clems and CK but the reality is that those type of impact transfers are far from what you should expect.  imo.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2010, 12:46:52 PM »
players go where they're told to go by their people, who, in theory, should be our people.  think art alverez.  think Te '430k.

don't give me this "I saw them on ESPN2" or "the better we are, the better we recruit" bullshit.  our staff needs to continue to leverage and strengthen our connections in the aau circuit while at the same time building new ones. 

i like dreaming of great transfers like clems and CK but the reality is that those type of impact transfers are far from what you should expect.  imo.

Agreed on the going there because they were told to go there but being on TV does help. If you told an elite caliber youngster 5 years ago to go to KSU he would of laughed in your face. Winning, Huggins/Martin and being on TV have changed that, now he will only giggle and open his hand wider.

IMO the whole "Saw them on TV and really wanted to be a part of it" really only works on 3 star or less caliber players

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2010, 12:50:36 PM »
Agreed on the going there because they were told to go there but being on TV does help. If you told an elite caliber youngster 5 years ago to go to KSU he would of laughed in your face. Winning, Huggins/Martin and being on TV have changed that, now he will only giggle and open his hand wider.

Bill Walker and Michael Beasley, the 5 star elites, came here because of connections.  they didn't give a damn where/who K-State was.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2010, 12:50:40 PM »
I think the TV stuff may help with Spradling/Tyrell Reed level recruits....which aren't the ones we care about.

Offline canadian_breeze

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2010, 12:53:39 PM »

Bill Walker and Michael Beasley, the 5 star elites, came here because of connections.  they didn't give a damn where/who K-State was.
qft, michael couldn't even find kansas on a map

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2010, 12:54:20 PM »
IMO the whole "Saw them on TV and really wanted to be a part of it" really only works on 3 star or less caliber players

you have it backwards.  recruits don't see crap on tv and want to be part of it.  they go to teams that are on tv a lot because they want to be on tv.

elite recruits don't go to teams that aren't going to play on natl tv.  sub-elite recruits only do if they can't get offers from a team that's on tv more.