Author Topic: The Future  (Read 18027 times)

Offline Lefty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
The Future
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:07:18 PM »
I know there are specific threads addressing this very topic. Want I would like to see in a discussion thread is our program's future.

Stuff like player potential in one year and 2 years. Stuff like will the big 12 schedule more big mondays for the ksu wildcats? Will the coaches/media rank us top 3 next year? What do potential recruits offer the squad? Does dalonte keep the pipeline going?

Basically, I want to further my excitement level in regards to ksu basketball. 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
elitist since 1994

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: The Future
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 01:04:14 AM »
I really see next year as the first pinnacle of Frank's tenure. Jake, CK and Dom are seniors. Samuels and Asprilla will be Juniors. McGruder, Martavious, Judge will be contributing major minutes as sophomores. It is almost unreasonable to think that we won't be a better team. After next season, it's more likely that we plateau or even drop of just a touch because of the three seniors we'll be losing. But talent wise we'll still be so far ahead of where K-State hoops has been for the last two decades we may just have to start getting used to it.

By two or three years down the road we'll be talking more about team chemistry and less about weather we can match-up night after night in the Big XII. Of course this conjecture, although fun, really hinges on keeping Frank happy in MHK. Getting a couple of players drafted could help reinforce the talent pipelines and I think that will happen in the next couple of years.

Anyway... :kstatriot: :kstatriot: :kstatriot: :kstatriot: :kstatriot: :kstatriot: :kstatriot: :kstatriot: :kstatriot: :kstatriot: :kstatriot: :kstatriot: :kstatriot: :kstatriot:

Offline ZmoneyKSU

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 06:42:36 AM »
Though I find myself looking ahead time to time, I am trying to just keep myself grounded and enjoy this season.  It is the best K-State bball season I have witnessed and I want to be able to savor it while it's here.

Next year talk will be upon us soon enough, let's just sit back and enjoy the ride we're on now.

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:19:52 AM »
Though I find myself looking ahead time to time, I am trying to just keep myself grounded and enjoy this season.  It is the best K-State bball season I have witnessed and I want to be able to savor it while it's here.

Next year talk will be upon us soon enough, let's just sit back and enjoy the ride we're on now.
Dont get me wrong, its exciting to think about it, but lets savor this season. Its great!  :bball:
EMAW

Offline weird roberts foam finger

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:00:05 AM »
K-State vs. ku game is becoming a ratings beast.  That is a high profile game for the foreseeable future, which makes me happy. (Incidentally, on this subject, most ku fans are extremely tarded.  "Only reason Gameday is there is because of us."  Um, no.  If that were true, why wasn't Gameday at our contests earlier this decade?  BOTH teams need to be elite -- seems simple to me.)  Anyway, that game is a monster, which raises the profile of both schools.

Other good news?  Next year's team is a juggernaut so long as Pullen is back and healthy.  Team is also currently positioned to weather the senior losses the following season with some good young talent in place.  To wit:

'11-'12
1- Irving, Russell
2- McGruder, Spradling
3- Samuels, Southwell, Ojeleye, Williams
4- Judge
5- Asprilla, Henriquez-Roberts

Biggest concerns at this stage would seem to be depth at PF and figuring out whether Irving and/or Russell can run the point.  Good thing about this team is you've got lots of length and athleticism, so you can mix and match (a lot like the current team, in that respect).

I'm guessing Frank finds another point guard within the next 7-8 months, and probably another true big as well.
"It could be best for his family for Cole to come back." -- Bill Self, NBA career killer

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 12:09:12 PM »
If we don't start recruiting better we will have no future. JMO.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

catzacker

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »

this.   sprads and southwell don't cut it, imo.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 12:19:56 PM »

I kind of agree.  But it isn't like our major contributors outside of Kelly were significantly more highly touted than those guys.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 12:23:28 PM »

I kind of agree.  But it isn't like our major contributors outside of Kelly were significantly more highly touted than those guys.

Depends on how you define "future" IMHO. 

If you mean "contend for the Big 12, Top 10 rankings", probably not. 

If you mean ".500 or better in league, bubble/NIT in worst seasons", then the future is fine. 

I don't think Spradling/Southwell type classes are going to send us back to 6-10 in the league.  JMHO.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 12:45:44 PM »

I'm curious to see if this run in the top 10 -20 will help our recruiting. So far, Frank has been trying to sell the "work hard and you will succeed/father figure" crap. Hopefully this "ESPN exposure" and "competing for the Big 12" can win some kids over.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 12:54:37 PM »
the thread consensus so far sounds about right.  drop off after the '10-'11, but not off the face of a cliff.

the '11 and '12 classes will be pretty important.  wish kstate had more than just williams lined up.  oth, with jeffrey gone, following recruiting is like feeling around in a pitch black room.  there's really no way to know what is going on.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 01:10:39 PM »
The future?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 02:09:50 PM »
the thread consensus so far sounds about right.  drop off after the '10-'11, but not off the face of a cliff.

the '11 and '12 classes will be pretty important.  wish kstate had more than just williams lined up.  oth, with jeffrey gone, following recruiting is like feeling around in a pitch black room.  there's really no way to know what is going on.

yep.  (I was dying for sys's take in this thread, btw)

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 03:25:43 PM »
Agree with pretty much everything that has been said. 

Got to take into consideration one thing though.....  If we can finish out this season strong, with a good run in the NCAA(16 or better), KSU will be ABSOLUTELY MARQUEE next season.  I'm talking pre-season top 10(maybe top 5) with multiple Big Monday and Saturday night games, sportscenter  and everynight.  By that point it would be 5 straight seasons of 4th place or better finishes in the B12.  3 NCAA's and a couple sweet 16's.  Two or more guys in the NBA from the current KSU era and massive exposure. 

I agree that we will probably see a slight drop due to youth that season but I wouldn't be shocked to see some huge names(MCDAA's types) knocking down the door to play for KSU. 

Could be a great ride fellas.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 03:43:33 PM »
nobody thinks Southwell will develop? look how jamsam developed.. he was a true post when he got here, now he's a pretty damn good SF. thoughts?
EMAW

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 03:45:59 PM »
nobody thinks Southwell will develop? look how jamsam developed.. he was a true post when he got here, now he's a pretty damn good SF. thoughts?

no matter Southwell will be the best looking player on the court.  at the very least his charisma will be used as a recruiting tool

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 04:49:14 AM »

southwell needs to develop in the other direction.  he's a hs pg with no chance of playing pg in the big 12.  needs to learn how to shoot a little.

just a gut feeling, but i don't think he'll do much here.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 08:23:51 AM »

southwell needs to develop in the other direction.  he's a hs pg with no chance of playing pg in the big 12.  needs to learn how to shoot a little.

just a gut feeling, but i don't think he'll do much here.

Awesome, he sounds like the next Akeem Wright that we've all been waiting for.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 08:29:48 AM »
low blow, _fan.

catzacker

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 08:53:40 AM »

this.   sprads and southwell don't cut it, imo.

I kind of agree.  But it isn't like our major contributors outside of Kelly were significantly more highly touted than those guys.

If you mean ".500 or better in league, bubble/NIT in worst seasons", then the future is fine.  

I don't think Spradling/Southwell type classes are going to send us back to 6-10 in the league.  JMHO.

Let's look at the lineup in '11-12

1 - Russell (jr)
2 - Irving (jr), sprads (so)
3 - McGruder (jr), southwell (so), williams (fr)
4 - JamSam (sr), Wally (JR)*
5 - Spri (sr), JHR (jr)

a step up from the composition of last year's NIT sqaud, but could be around middle of the pack big 12.  not sure what to think of that lineup.  next year will definitely tell us where we are headed.  guys like Russell and Irving developing pretty much make or break us (which isn't a bold statement or anything). and McGruder prolly needs to develop into something special.  The '11 class will need a PG and some SF's.  

*updated to include Wally, though I think he'll leave (maybe he doesn't but Jam Sam does?)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:57:37 AM by catzacker »

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 08:55:52 AM »

I don't think Spradling/Southwell type classes are going to send us back to 6-10 in the league.  JMHO.

1 - Russell (jr)
4 - JamSam (sr)
5 - Spri (sr), JHR (jr)

a step up from the composition of last year's NIT sqaud, but could be around middle of the pack big 12.  not sure what to think of that lineup.  next year will definitely tell us where we are headed.  guys like Russell and Irving developing pretty much make or break us (which isn't a bold statement or anything). and McGruder prolly needs to develop into something special.  The '11 class will need a PG and some SF's. 

You have Judge transfering or going NBA?
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

catzacker

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 08:56:40 AM »

1 - Russell (jr)
4 - JamSam (sr)
5 - Spri (sr), JHR (jr)

a step up from the composition of last year's NIT sqaud, but could be around middle of the pack big 12.  not sure what to think of that lineup.  next year will definitely tell us where we are headed.  guys like Russell and Irving developing pretty much make or break us (which isn't a bold statement or anything). and McGruder prolly needs to develop into something special.  The '11 class will need a PG and some SF's. 

You have Judge transfering or going NBA?

NBA, though I should prolly include him for discussion.  will update.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 09:07:38 AM »
I knew we couldn't have anything nice....crap
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 09:09:50 AM »
FWIW, Judge will only go NBA (early) if hes putting up 20 and 10.  JamSam will have to put on 50lbs before he goes NBA.

I'd say the chances of Judge transfering are >> NBA
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 09:10:23 AM »
Looking back what we thought our post-beasley roster would be, would we think a core of Pullen, Clemente, McGruder, and Samuels would be a top 15 team?   (Considering Judge has basically been non-existent).

Probably not.  A lot can be happen, especially w/ transfers.