Author Topic: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?  (Read 119274 times)

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?
« Reply #675 on: February 05, 2013, 11:51:11 AM »

You're definitely smart enough to know that something not considered an option can't be eliminated as the best.

Again, like I said, I'm not an expert - far from it.  Don't smoke it.  Don't eat enough.  I defer to the experts.  and the experts - prett much universally - place KC at or near the top, without mentioning either Wichita or OKC.  My personal opinion?  I've no idea because I've not eaten at hundreds of bbq restuarants across America, like apparently you have (which I highly doubt, in any event).   

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 05, 2013, 11:52:02 AM »
When your opinion goes against the vast majority of other people's opinions there is a decent chance your opinion is wrong and stupid.

hoe sit down, and chill out with the obsession

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 05, 2013, 11:53:08 AM »
Belvis, it seems like you probably should be an expert on what you yourself like. Maybe you should go ahead and give the Wichita BBQ a try.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 05, 2013, 11:54:22 AM »
While Jack Stack is fantastic, I dont really consider it a bbq joint. More of a steakhouse. There is something inherently trashy about a bbq joint, and that's not a slam in any way.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 05, 2013, 11:57:06 AM »

You're definitely smart enough to know that something not considered an option can't be eliminated as the best.

I defer to the experts.  and the experts - prett much universally - place KC at or near the top, without mentioning either Wichita or OKC.  My personal opinion?  I've no idea because I've not eaten at hundreds of bbq restuarants across America, like apparently you have (which I highly doubt, in any event).   

Could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure I addressed this and not only did you not address what I said but then you built a gigantic strawman. There are people in this world that have eaten at hundreds of bbq restaurants, neither me or Bobby Flay are in that group. Glad we can agree that someone that hasn't even been to Wichita or New York City for that matter can eliminate them from being better than something else.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 05, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »

I defer to the experts.  and the experts - prett much universally - place KC at or near the top, without mentioning either Wichita or OKC.  My personal opinion?  I've no idea because I've not eaten at hundreds of bbq restuarants across America, like apparently you have (which I highly doubt, in any event).   

Could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure I addressed this and not only did you not address what I said but then you built a gigantic strawman. There are people in this world that have eaten at hundreds of bbq restaurants, neither me or Bobby Flay are in that group. Glad we can agree that someone that hasn't even been to Wichita or New York City for that matter can eliminate them from being better than something else.

I think you reference "strawmen" more than any poster on here.  I'm beginning to think you don't actually know what a straw man is. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 05, 2013, 11:59:09 AM »
Belvis, it seems like you probably should be an expert on what you yourself like. Maybe you should go ahead and give the Wichita BBQ a try.

No, it's perfectly acceptable to just accept somneone elses limited opinion as fact without vetting these things yourself.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 05, 2013, 12:01:49 PM »

I think you reference "strawmen" more than any poster on here.  I'm beginning to think you don't actually know what a straw man is.

Don't put strawmen in quotes, I said strawman.

This is either a strawman or a lie, I'll let you decide because I certainly didn't say this either.
I've not eaten at hundreds of bbq restuarants across America, like apparently you have

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 05, 2013, 12:13:42 PM »
Maybe mir didn't like KC style bbq? The places he listed are probably not the same type as KC. Maybe you should go get some Memphis bbq or Austin.  It would be hard to believe a place in Wichita or OKC has the best of anything.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 05, 2013, 12:14:35 PM »
When your opinion goes against the vast majority of other people's opinions there is a decent chance your opinion is wrong and stupid.

hoe sit down, and chill out with the obsession

huh?

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 05, 2013, 12:19:21 PM »
probably the most interesting thing about wichitans is how hard they will try and convince themselves that wichita is just as good as kansas city

pro-tip: it isn't

Are you referring to me? One of us is from the Wichita area, pro-tip: you, not me.

Next time I am in Wichita (if I ever am back in Wichita), I will join MIR for BBQ and see if I can refute his claims.

No longer a Wichita pak'r :cry:

I forgot.  I don't know where you lived in New England, but you seem to consistently move to worse places.

man, wichitans suck at quoting
emaw

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 05, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »
Hey guys, Topeka, KS has hands down the best seafood in the entire country, you gotta check it out.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 05, 2013, 01:48:24 PM »
Maybe mir didn't like KC style bbq? The places he listed are probably not the same type as KC. Maybe you should go get some Memphis bbq or Austin.  It would be hard to believe a place in Wichita or OKC has the best of anything.

It's really kind of hard to believe that about KC, as well. Maybe they do, though. :dunno:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 05, 2013, 01:53:21 PM »
i prefer spicy bbq (is that what texas is???) as opposed to the super sweet sauces of KC. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 05, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »
Hey guys, Topeka, KS has hands down the best seafood in the entire country, you gotta check it out.
really? I will!
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: February 05, 2013, 02:01:44 PM »
i prefer spicy bbq (is that what texas is???)

it can be, but it usually isn't.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 05, 2013, 02:14:53 PM »
Texas BBQ is pretty pud, actually. But if I'm looking for a steak as big as my torso, The Lone Star state is where I wanna be!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 05, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »

what's the spicy bbq then?  is there no home for spicy bbq?  maybe mhk should make that its "thing."

thoughts, Jakesie?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 05, 2013, 02:18:09 PM »

what's the spicy bbq then?  is there no home for spicy bbq?  maybe mhk should make that its "thing."

thoughts, Jakesie?

I think it's supposed to be Carolina bbq, but I've never had it.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 05, 2013, 02:19:06 PM »

thoughts, Jakesie?

i thought Carolina was "tangy."

:confused:

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 05, 2013, 02:20:02 PM »
Carolina is pork centric with a tangy vinegar based sauce.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 05, 2013, 02:20:13 PM »

thoughts, Jakesie?

i thought Carolina was "tangy."

:confused:

Probably. Like I said, I've never had it.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 05, 2013, 02:32:51 PM »

No, it's perfectly acceptable to just accept somneone elses limited opinion as fact without vetting these things yourself.

how do you "vet" something so subjective as "the best BBQ in the world"?  How the eff should I know?  Unlike MIR, who has apparently eaten at more BBQ places than everybody on this board combined, I don't have that kind of time. 

Yeah, sometimes, I just accept other perople's opinions.  Like, if Neil Armstrong tells me the moon is pretty rad?  I'll accept it.  If I'm told America is a better place to live than Ghana?  I'll accept it.  If a deep sea diver tells me that deep sea diving can be hazardous, I'll accept it.  If a food writer tells me that Kansas City has better BBQ than Oklahoma City, I'll accept it. 

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 05, 2013, 02:34:20 PM »
Memphis = Spicy?   :dunno:
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 05, 2013, 02:34:48 PM »
i agree with mir that Ok joes is overrated.  but it is really good.

gates can be incredibly good, but on average, it's average, and it can be incredibly bad too.  they, like most kc bbq places, are very inconsistent. 
the one exception to that rule is jack stack.  they are consistently good to great. and have the widest range of good stuff.  meaning, their strength doesn't just lie in their ribs, or their brisket, or their beans.  they do it all well, including their sides.

i got some burnt ends the other day from LCs that i wouldn't serve to a dog.

but KC style bbq is what the national food pundits declare the best in the country.  not a particular place.  part of the reason for that is because like jack stack, we don't do just pork, or just ribs, or just brisket.  we do it all, and on top of that, we invented burnt ends.  yes i realize that you can get ribs in texas.  but the reality is, is that texas does brisket.  carolina does pork, memphis does terrible dry ribs. 

kc has more bbq locations per-capita than anywhere else and we eat a lot of it.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.