Author Topic: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?  (Read 120005 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?
« Reply #600 on: February 01, 2013, 01:55:53 PM »
you could open an identical Oklahoma Joe's restaurant in mhk under a different name and KC BBQ snobs would be like "it's okay, but it doesn't compare to OKJ's at all.  speaking of, i could really go for a z-man right about now."

this is just a theory i'm working on, fwiw.

As a KC BBQ snob, I don't think onion rings have any place on the sandwich.
:adios:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 01, 2013, 01:56:20 PM »
at the sauce place they could have a sauce fire hose that they use to spray down people who come in on their birthday.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 01, 2013, 01:56:40 PM »
new plan. not really new but more of an expansion on "sauces"...what about a place called Bob's Sauce and Sugar Shack. bob would be short for kebob. sauce is self explanatory because there would be like 101 different sauces or something ridic and then sugar would basically be the nickname or slang for hooch aka alcholic drinks. the menu would be like this...

you get to pick one meat or two meats for an extra two dollars or something and then those get put on a kebob. then you also get to choose up to four different fruits/vegatables to also put on the kebob and then the different sauces that you want to be able to dip your meat into or whatever.

example- yeah i'd like chicken and pork (upcharge of $2 for two meats) bobs with red onion, cherry tomatoes, pineaple and mushrooms and also the jerk and medium chipotle sauces.

we could change the shirts to be like "i got sauced at bobs" or "bob got me sauced" or something.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:33:58 PM by rick daris »

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 01, 2013, 02:00:32 PM »
Man, I just realized what thread we are in... the mods have let this crap run wild, must be casual bbs'n friday
:adios:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 01, 2013, 02:01:29 PM »
you could open an identical Oklahoma Joe's restaurant in mhk under a different name and KC BBQ snobs would be like "it's okay, but it doesn't compare to OKJ's at all.  speaking of, i could really go for a z-man right about now."

this is just a theory i'm working on, fwiw.
KC BBQ snobs do this with the local chains now with the "i think the old OK Joes/ABs/etc tastes better than new location  X"

someone told me that ok joes makes all their meat on the same smoker at the original location and ships it to the new locations every day.  not sure if true.  either way it sure is great living in kc and having better bbq than everyone else in the world, guys.
not true.  they have smokers cooking outside in the back of their leawood location.

thanks.  I will go punch the guy that told me that.
emaw

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 01, 2013, 02:01:32 PM »
Pro-top:  Okie Joe's z'mans are pretty good.  But it's the fries that make them king.  Just my O.  YMMV.  Go cats.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 01, 2013, 02:02:15 PM »
Pro-top:  Okie Joe's z'mans are pretty good.  But it's the fries that make them king.  Just my O.  YMMV.  Go cats.

the fries are very good and I enjoy the z man, but their burnt ends are the best thing they make.  that said LC's burnt ends are better.
emaw

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 01, 2013, 02:05:56 PM »

take it to the okie joe thread.  :jerk:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 01, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »

their fries are loaded with MSG. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 01, 2013, 02:20:36 PM »

Might as well be loaded with arsenic and AIDS.  Don't care.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 01, 2013, 02:28:52 PM »

Might as well be loaded with arsenic and AIDS.  Don't care.

that's a lie and you know it.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 01, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »
shots could be served in ketchup packets

also i somehow overlooked this. that would be amazing. "two tequila shots at table seven" and then the bar tender just throws a couple of packets over at the table and they rip em and chug em and then the whole place explodes with applause because everyone is just having so much fun.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 01, 2013, 02:35:08 PM »
Cox sucks because their sauce sucks.   It's easy to make plain tasty meat, the sauce is what defines a place.

did you try the other 3 sauces?

Yeah, I don't agree with the premise of sauce makes the BBQ at all.

Consistently producing flavorful, moist BBQ is the art of it.

Anything the NBAF can do to MHK cows & pigs to make them more tasty/moist?   :dunno:

We'll put all those KC joints out of business.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 01, 2013, 02:59:54 PM »
at the sauce place they could have a sauce fire hose that they use to spray down people who come in on their birthday.
that could probably create a pretty big mess.  there might have to be a "Birthday Sauce Splash Zone" area covered in tarps and stuff

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 01, 2013, 03:05:44 PM »
Man, I just realized what thread we are in... the mods have let this crap run wild, must be casual bbs'n friday

They dont care  :cry:

Hey guyz, how about you take your BBQ thread elsewhere and stop cluttering our awesome NBAF thread with nonsense.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: February 01, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »
that could probably create a pretty big mess.  there might have to be a "Birthday Sauce Splash Zone" area covered in tarps and stuff

best idea i've read in years, the BSSZ can have a special "survivors" shirt for people who can survive the sauce hose without falling down

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 01, 2013, 05:24:41 PM »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 01, 2013, 05:26:47 PM »
Oh.

:surprised:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 01, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
:lol: 

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 01, 2013, 05:49:15 PM »
i would think that BBQ is hard to do in MHK.  BBQ isn't cook to order.  when you cook it, you generally have to cook a lot of it.  i would assume that outside of gamedays, there's a lot of waste which means your margins have to be big and your prices higher than you want, or you're selling inferior food that has been sitting around. not food that will make you sick, just food that is overcooked because it's been waiting to sell.

the reason famous daves does well is because they cook their food in a factory and ship it to their stores packaged to handle the transit time and then reheat it at the restaurant.

This is a really good point.  Probably why i've only had Cox at football tailgates, straight off the smoker, very good.  Haven't been to actual restaurant.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 01, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »
i would think that BBQ is hard to do in MHK.  BBQ isn't cook to order.  when you cook it, you generally have to cook a lot of it.  i would assume that outside of gamedays, there's a lot of waste which means your margins have to be big and your prices higher than you want, or you're selling inferior food that has been sitting around. not food that will make you sick, just food that is overcooked because it's been waiting to sell.

the reason famous daves does well is because they cook their food in a factory and ship it to their stores packaged to handle the transit time and then reheat it at the restaurant.

That's every bbq place in the world.   Gates, Bryant s, jackstack, ojoes all have walk ins full of food.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 01, 2013, 10:28:01 PM »

That's every bbq place in the world.   Gates, Bryant s, jackstack, ojoes all have walk ins full of food.

Disagree. I've worked in like 6 restaurants in my day and have only seen that in chains. Famous Dave's fits the bill, Bryant's does not.

Clams is spot on, imo.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 01, 2013, 10:31:36 PM »

Disagree. I've worked in like 6 restaurants in my day and have only seen that in chains. Famous Dave's fits the bill, Bryant's does not.

Clams is spot on, imo.

just re read this. Not sure if you're agreeing with clams or not. I will review when I sober up

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 02, 2013, 07:21:33 AM »

Clams is spot on, imo.

I've been in every single one of those places coolers and have seen it with my own two eyes.   Worked for a Budweiser distributor in high school and college,  I've been in like every kitchen in the world.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 02, 2013, 09:17:40 AM »
When I have questions about BBQ restaurant cooking practices, I turn to the NBAF thread.