Author Topic: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?  (Read 120016 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?
« Reply #575 on: February 01, 2013, 12:59:04 PM »
i would think that BBQ is hard to do in MHK.  BBQ isn't cook to order.  when you cook it, you generally have to cook a lot of it.  i would assume that outside of gamedays, there's a lot of waste which means your margins have to be big and your prices higher than you want, or you're selling inferior food that has been sitting around. not food that will make you sick, just food that is overcooked because it's been waiting to sell.

the reason famous daves does well is because they cook their food in a factory and ship it to their stores packaged to handle the transit time and then reheat it at the restaurant.

The best way I've seen it ran in smallish towns is "we make x amount and when we run out, we run out."  People will accept that if the food is good.

Might as well have just put Roys in your post you homer.

:thumbsup:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 01, 2013, 01:05:33 PM »
Cox sucks because their sauce sucks.   It's easy to make plain tasty meat, the sauce is what defines a place.

did you try the other 3 sauces?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 01, 2013, 01:07:28 PM »
Re: GTM announced today their new expansion will add 650 new Man jobs Reply
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by gitrdone!:
They are bringing in a new high tech ink printing process for clothing that is currently only available overseas and takes two weeks to turn out an order. Having the facility in Manhattan will reduce that turnaround to 2-3 days. Will be adding new jobs across the whole company spectrum. They will have approx 1200-1300 total employees. Major deal for Manhattan.
They're actually already well over 1000 employees. With the growth generated from this expansion, the conservative estimate is 725 jobs based on 15% growth over the next 4 years. They have since increased their expected growth in that same time frame to 30% annually. Those projections lead to approx 900 or 1000 more jobs instead of the 650-725.

:thumbs:
Easy to rack up profits and expand when you don't pay your employees properly. :blindfold:

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/morning_call/2013/01/manhattans-gtm-sportswear-must-pay.html

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 01, 2013, 01:07:42 PM »
But yes, Famous Dave's is the best BBQ in MHK. Sorry to break it to you, Cox Bros' bros.

rough ridin' wrong, sorry bro.  FD's is third.  Pat's is better than FD's garbage.
:adios:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 01, 2013, 01:12:30 PM »
Cox sucks because their sauce sucks.   It's easy to make plain tasty meat, the sauce is what defines a place.

ot here guys but what about a restaurant called "sauces". then you have like 101 different sauces that people can order on their food. medium green wasabi sauce fries with scotch bonnet sauced texas toast and hot peanut sauce pasta. maybe even call your "alcohol" drinks sauces or serve them in containers that are typically reserved for sauces. t-shirts that say something like "sauces, mhk. come and get sauced" and then there is like a tongue hanging out or something.  :dunno:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 01, 2013, 01:12:55 PM »

Yeah, I don't agree with the premise of sauce makes the BBQ at all.

Consistently producing flavorful, moist BBQ is the art of it, unless you are talking pulled pork. IMO pulled pork is the easiest BBQ to produce.

But to make good burnt ends is difficult, and OK Joes does it the best. Then a good brisket (ABs) or sliced pork (Gates). Then sausage (ABs).

Cox Bros isn't as good as any of those, but IMO their brisket and sausage are still very good. I'll eat their pulled pork to, but again, I don't judge any BBQ place by pulled pork.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 01, 2013, 01:25:42 PM »
pulled pork! that's what she said! heeyo! badaboom!  :dance:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 01, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »

Consistently producing flavorful, moist BBQ is the art of it, unless you are talking pulled pork. IMO pulled pork is the easiest BBQ to produce.

But to make good burnt ends is difficult, and OK Joes does it the best. Then a good brisket (ABs) or sliced pork (Gates). Then sausage (ABs).

Cox Bros isn't as good as any of those, but IMO their brisket and sausage are still very good. I'll eat their pulled pork to, but again, I don't judge any BBQ place by pulled pork.

Totally agree.  Good sauce can cover up mediocre barbecue, but good barbecue stands on it's own.
:adios:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 01, 2013, 01:32:45 PM »
then maybe a punch card with all 101 sauces on it and every time you order something with one of the sauces you can get it punched and then if you get them all punch you get like a hat or something that says something like "i got sauced in mhk".

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 01, 2013, 01:34:22 PM »
maybe a shirt that says" i tried 101 sauces and all i got was this lousy t-shirt" and the shirt looks like it has sauce stains on it but it doesn't really.  :dunno:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: February 01, 2013, 01:35:43 PM »
the waitresses (huge jugs btw) could be called the Saucy Posse.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 01, 2013, 01:36:30 PM »

burnt ends aren't very hard imo.  also jack stack's burnt ends  are the best in the city, although they kind of cheat (so does Joes) by just cubing up the brisket flat instead of only using the point which is what you're supposed to do. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 01, 2013, 01:37:01 PM »
shots could be served in ketchup packets

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 01, 2013, 01:37:56 PM »
also maybe there is one sauce that is like ridic hot or something. i mean just ridic and the waiters and waitresses each carry it around in a little water gun type device attached to their belt and there is a bell at every table and if someone at the table rings the bell then a fire alarm type sound goes off and a light flashes and the waitstaff person goes over, pulls out the gun and shoots some of the ridic sauce onto their food and says something like "you've been sauced" or "try to put this fire out" or something similar.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 01, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »

THE 'CUE CREW

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 01, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »

:emawkid:

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 01, 2013, 01:40:50 PM »
there could be a sauce bong in the middle of select tables and a table of bros could pay to load it full of sauce and then share it.  the select sauce bong tables kind of compete to down their bong the quickest.  when it's empty they pay the sauce posse to refill it, and when she does, it's a big deal and everyone at the restaurant watches.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 01, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »
you could modify one of those soda machine like the one at goodcents to dispense all 101 different sorts of sauces and you could put a big sign on the machine that says something to the effect of "SAUCEBUSTER."
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:47:02 PM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 01, 2013, 01:44:28 PM »
10% off total bill if you byos

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 01, 2013, 01:47:03 PM »
you could open an identical Oklahoma Joe's restaurant in mhk under a different name and KC BBQ snobs would be like "it's okay, but it doesn't compare to OKJ's at all.  speaking of, i could really go for a z-man right about now."

this is just a theory i'm working on, fwiw.
KC BBQ snobs do this with the local chains now with the "i think the old OK Joes/ABs/etc tastes better than new location  X"

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 01, 2013, 01:50:17 PM »
burnt ends aren't very hard imo.  also jack stack's burnt ends  are the best in the city, although they kind of cheat (so does Joes) by just cubing up the brisket flat instead of only using the point which is what you're supposed to do. 

Yeah, Jack Stack's are very good. I guess I've had plenty of burnt ends that aren't very good (like ABs). And if they cheat that way, that would explain a lot. I just know I really like OK Joes BEs a lot.

And I'm on board with this sauce place.

I'm thinking they should have something on the wall like the Flying Saucer that honors customers that eat all the sauces. In fact, just steal the concept, call the place Flying Sauces, and use the sauces on tap idea instead of beers.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 01, 2013, 01:52:59 PM »
Bring in old brewery equipment and put behind a glass wall like Little Apple/any other brewery ever. Pretend you are brewing the sauces in there, even though thats probably not a reasonable way to go about it so you wouldn't actually do it.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 01, 2013, 01:54:12 PM »
you could open an identical Oklahoma Joe's restaurant in mhk under a different name and KC BBQ snobs would be like "it's okay, but it doesn't compare to OKJ's at all.  speaking of, i could really go for a z-man right about now."

KC BBQ snobs do this with the local chains now with the "i think the old OK Joes/ABs/etc tastes better than new location  X"

someone told me that ok joes makes all their meat on the same smoker at the original location and ships it to the new locations every day.  not sure if true.  either way it sure is great living in kc and having better bbq than everyone else in the world, guys.
emaw

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 01, 2013, 01:55:11 PM »

someone told me that ok joes makes all their meat on the same smoker at the original location and ships it to the new locations every day.  not sure if true.  either way it sure is great living in kc and having better bbq than everyone else in the world, guys.
:thumbs:

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 01, 2013, 01:55:36 PM »

not true.  they have smokers cooking outside in the back of their leawood location.