Author Topic: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?  (Read 119275 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?
« Reply #550 on: February 01, 2013, 09:22:13 AM »
i would think that BBQ is hard to do in MHK.  BBQ isn't cook to order.  when you cook it, you generally have to cook a lot of it.  i would assume that outside of gamedays, there's a lot of waste which means your margins have to be big and your prices higher than you want, or you're selling inferior food that has been sitting around. not food that will make you sick, just food that is overcooked because it's been waiting to sell.

the reason famous daves does well is because they cook their food in a factory and ship it to their stores packaged to handle the transit time and then reheat it at the restaurant.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 01, 2013, 09:24:26 AM »
I've never been to any bbq place that really knocked my socks off. Most of them are dirty, offer poor service, and offer low quality food that is smoked and covered with bbq sauce to taste ok. It's good for the price, I guess.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 01, 2013, 09:27:01 AM »
I've never been to any bbq place that really knocked my socks off. Most of them are dirty, offer poor service, and offer low quality food that is smoked and covered with bbq sauce to taste ok. It's good for the price, I guess.

go to the jack stack freight house you snob

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 01, 2013, 09:27:36 AM »
Are they gonna have a Cox at NBAF?

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 01, 2013, 09:50:23 AM »

:love:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:58:44 AM by GoodForAnother »
emaw

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 01, 2013, 09:52:32 AM »

:lovelove:

Yeah, pretty much the only reason I miss officing downtown.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 01, 2013, 10:01:16 AM »
i've had lots of knock your socks off bbq, maybe you just don't like bbq?????
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 01, 2013, 10:28:56 AM »
Cox catering is fine, because it's pretty hard to eff up a pulled pork sandwich that you but together yourself.

But they are a decent at best restaurant.
i mean, are they even a restaurant?  it's an order-at-the-counter bbq joint.  it's not supposed to be jack stack.

is it as good as oklahoma joes?  i guess not, but it's a decent, quick, cheap enough, local bbq joint.  and that ain't bad.

Dlew, maybe someone can give us more specific examples of why Cox Bros is so bad?

I think I need help here b/c I really like it. Its not OK Joes, ABs, or Gates, but it tastes good and I enjoy it.

Maybe I just don't taste things very well? :dunno:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 01, 2013, 10:32:26 AM »
Hey guyz, how about you take your BBQ thread elsewhere and stop cluttering our awesome NBAF thread with nonsense.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 01, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »
Cox catering is fine, because it's pretty hard to eff up a pulled pork sandwich that you but together yourself.

i mean, are they even a restaurant?  it's an order-at-the-counter bbq joint.  it's not supposed to be jack stack.

is it as good as oklahoma joes?  i guess not, but it's a decent, quick, cheap enough, local bbq joint.  and that ain't bad.

Dlew, maybe someone can give us more specific examples of why Cox Bros is so bad?

I think I need help here b/c I really like it. Its not OK Joes, ABs, or Gates, but it tastes good and I enjoy it.

I think if you can't remember how awesome it was then it wasn't very good.  Like I've been to Cox Bros but I can't really remember anything about it.  Pretty average, I guess.  But I'm spoiled because Okie Joe's is like within potato gun distance of me.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 01, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »
i've had lots of knock your socks off bbq, maybe you just don't like bbq?????

Maybe. I mean I'll eat it. I just don't see what's so great about it.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 01, 2013, 11:45:53 AM »

it's because generally people that live in, or have ever lived in ks, and especially kc, are huge entitled dicks about anything bbq related.  they feel like because they eat a z-man regularly they get to pretty much think any non-kc bbq place is complete crap. 

it's Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), really.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 01, 2013, 11:46:02 AM »

dlew and you are on the same side then _fan. neither of you dislike it. i didn't care for it much but i've only had it once so i should give it another shot sometime. sd says he's had it like ten times and doesn't like it which seems like a lot of times to try something you don't like which makes me think that he actually does like putting cox in his mouth and is just saying he doesn't. heeyo! badumbum! i'll be here all night folks! don't forget to tip bartenders and waitresses!  :dance:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 01, 2013, 11:49:26 AM »
lol, putting cox in his mouth
emaw

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 01, 2013, 11:50:56 AM »
you could open an identical Oklahoma Joe's restaurant in mhk under a different name and KC BBQ snobs would be like "it's okay, but it doesn't compare to OKJ's at all.  speaking of, i could really go for a z-man right about now."

this is just a theory i'm working on, fwiw.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:55:20 AM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 01, 2013, 12:09:15 PM »
DLew you are totally right about the KC BBQ palette being extremely advanced, rendering most other BBQ gross. Being dicks about it doesn't make KC folks wrong about it. Different strokes for different folks. Enjoy your Kraft/KC Masterpiece.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 01, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »
DLew you are totally right about the KC BBQ palette being extremely advanced, rendering most other BBQ gross. Being dicks about it doesn't make KC folks wrong about it. Different strokes for different folks. Enjoy your Kraft/KC Masterpiece.

Same thing happens with Texans. Once you've had Lockhart's bbq or city market in luling you tend to mush everything else. County Line? GTFOOMF.

(note: this is not an attempt to start a KC/TX bbq debate. The best of both types are great.)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 01, 2013, 12:29:54 PM »
I like Famous Dave's.  Cornbread. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 01, 2013, 12:32:47 PM »

Same thing happens with Texans. Once you've had Lockhart's bbq or city market in luling you tend to mush everything else. County Line? GTFOOMF.

(note: this is not an attempt to start a KC/TX bbq debate. The best of both types are great.)

what a hilarious idea for a debate though. ok let's debate what's better, good bbq or texas bbq. my hypothesis is good bbq. ding dong, debate over, class dismissed and see you all on monday.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 01, 2013, 12:35:12 PM »

what a hilarious idea for a debate though. ok let's debate what's better, good bbq or texas bbq. my hypothesis is good bbq. ding dong, debate over, class dismissed and see you all on monday.

:giganticdubioushead:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: February 01, 2013, 12:35:53 PM »
i would think that BBQ is hard to do in MHK.  BBQ isn't cook to order.  when you cook it, you generally have to cook a lot of it.  i would assume that outside of gamedays, there's a lot of waste which means your margins have to be big and your prices higher than you want, or you're selling inferior food that has been sitting around. not food that will make you sick, just food that is overcooked because it's been waiting to sell.

the reason famous daves does well is because they cook their food in a factory and ship it to their stores packaged to handle the transit time and then reheat it at the restaurant.

The best way I've seen it ran in smallish towns is "we make x amount and when we run out, we run out."  People will accept that if the food is good.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 01, 2013, 12:39:45 PM »

The best way I've seen it ran in smallish towns is "we make x amount and when we run out, we run out."  People will accept that if the food is good.

Might as well have just put Roys in your post you homer.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 01, 2013, 12:40:35 PM »

Yeah Texas is obsessed with dry rub and beef-only. But the point is, both are good at what they do and your average person not from a BBQ hotbed has a god-awful BBQ palette. Take the middle of Kansas for example.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 01, 2013, 12:54:24 PM »
Cox sucks because their sauce sucks.   It's easy to make plain tasty meat, the sauce is what defines a place.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 01, 2013, 12:57:47 PM »
just an FYI  here boys, currently finishing up a hog heaven sandwich and ribs from OK Joes, was good.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.