Author Topic: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?  (Read 119262 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?
« Reply #400 on: June 26, 2012, 10:31:44 AM »
Best part:

This is the most dangerous type of pathogen research facility, the kind of structures you see in movies like Outbreak.

Also, it has been "under construction" technically for like 2 yrs and technically will continue to be, with or without being funded, until the project is killed by the Fed govt while Sam Brownback continues to hate on gays, brown people, and those who believe in evolution.

Tim Huelskamp wants to build the facility, but the disaster funding just is not in the budget. As soon as the federal government starts running on a surplus, he will be able to support funding emergency disaster relief in case of catastrophic failure in his own rough ridin' district.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 13, 2012, 12:31:50 PM »

Panel endorses need for NBAF, but questions size
Kansas City Business Journal by David Twiddy, Reporter
Date: Friday, July 13, 2012, 12:05pm CDT

Related:Health Care, Manhattan, Agriculture 
David Twiddy
Reporter- Kansas City Business Journal
Email  | Twitter  | Health care coverage  | Transportation coverage Proponents of building a National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility in Manhattan, Kan., got good — but not great — news from a scientific panel.

A federal panel of scientific experts agrees that the United States needs a new top-level biocontainment laboratory to protect the public while researching some of the most dangerous threats facing animal safety.

However, the National Research Council    National Research Council Latest from The Business Journals Scientists’ report is clear: Start NBAF construction nowReport urges holistic approach to offshore safety practicesNBAF supporters forging ahead after report cites flaws Follow this company says that those goals could be met with a smaller, less expensive version of the National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility, or NBAF, currently planned for construction in Manhattan.

“A partnership of a central national laboratory of reduced scope and size and a distributed laboratory network can effectively protect the United States from (foreign animal) and zoonotic diseases, potentially realize cost savings, reduce redundancies while increasing efficiencies, and enhance the cohesiveness of a national system of biocontainment laboratories,” the panel wrote in a report released Friday.

The report was done after the Obama Administration did not include additional construction dollars of the NBAF in the proposed 2013 federal budget. Instead, the administration requested the Department of Homeland Security to perform a comprehensive assessment of the project, including “whether and for what purpose a ... facility should be stood up.”

The NBAF, currently estimated to cost $1.14 billion and be built at Kansas State University    Kansas State University Latest from The Business Journals University of Kansas Cancer Center timeline: The path to NCI designationMike King brings experience to bear as new head of KDOTRockhurst, UMKC create joint program for engineering students in Kansas City Follow this company , would conduct research on such high-risk diseases as foot-and-mouth disease. It would replace an aging research facility on Plum Island, off the coast of New York.

While the panel didn’t specifically recommend whether planners should stick with the current NBAF plan or move to a scaled-down model, members agreed that the Plum Island facility has outlived its usefulness.

New York lawmakers have lobbied against the NBAF, requesting that Plum Island be renovated to meet current standards dealing with the most dangerous substances.

But the U.S. Department of Homeland Security    U.S. Department of Homeland Security Latest from The Business Journals Follow this company told the panel that such a facility, called a Biosafety Level 4-Large Animal lab, couldn’t be built on Plum Island and that the only labs of that type exist overseas.

“Given the uncertainty over priorities of a foreign laboratory and logistical difficulties in an emergency, it would not be desirable for the United States to rely on international laboratories to meet (Level 4) large-animal needs in the long term,” the panel wrote.

The report is the second one this year to come from the National Research Council dealing with NBAF.

A separate panel of experts last month determined that designs for the NBAF were a “substantial improvement” and met most safety requirements. However, the group faulted Homeland Securities’ process for estimating the danger of dangerous substances escaping from the facility.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 13, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »
so on a scale of mumped to proper mumped, exactly how mumped are we? tia.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 13, 2012, 12:41:25 PM »
Look, it's not going to get built.  The job was designed, funded, located, approved, and started.  Since then it has had it's size, safety, budget, need, etc questioned multiple times each which tells you there is a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) large contingent of people out there who are going to throw any banana peel in the way they can until some chink is found in Manhattan's armor that will allow Texas to get what Texas wants. 

Resign yourself to this and be happy if I end up wrong.

KS doesn't have an abundance of political leverage and we have crap representatives at the gov level and in Washington.  Put that together with another, more powerfully state, wanting what we have, and crap doesn't look good.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 14, 2012, 04:01:37 AM »
Look, it's not going to get built.  The job was designed, funded, located, approved, and started.  Since then it has had it's size, safety, budget, need, etc questioned multiple times each which tells you there is a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) large contingent of people out there who are going to throw any banana peel in the way they can until some chink is found in Manhattan's armor that will allow Texas to get what Texas wants. 

Resign yourself to this and be happy if I end up wrong.

KS doesn't have an abundance of political leverage and we have crap representatives at the gov level and in Washington.  Put that together with another, more powerfully state, wanting what we have, and crap doesn't look good.

Although many people dislike brownback, he was really good at forcing crap through when he was in the senate. I don't think we were as prepared as we needed to be to take on the NY lobby/politics.

Offline BMWWcat

• Combo-Fan
  • I still love the Purple Pants...
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 14, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »
Look it is not going in NY...the report said that they can't rennovate the Plum Island Facility to make it work.
The NY political folks are just trying to put up what appears to be a good fight in an election year...
It will be built in Manhattan, it's just going to take 3x as long, cost 4x as much and be half the size they initally stated because instead of setting aside the money to begin with and getting the damn thing built the butthurt jackasses in Washington just keep getting in the way.  Politicans even when the lose initally always want to look like they put up a good fight, nevermind if they end-up costing us more money to get the same or less of a product, they just need to try to look like they were trying to save $, and the moron voters will eat it up.
Dax fan club member!

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 15, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »
well I was just in manhattan and there were all sorts of great signs about nbaf being in manhattan, so I'm pretty sure it is getting built, I mean we already have the signs in place
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 19, 2012, 01:41:19 PM »
GSA recommends that the federal government go ahead with the planned sale of the pork chop-shaped 840-acre island off the eastern tip of Long Island.
The Department of Homeland Security, which operates the Plum Island Animal Disease lab, is moving forward with plans to open a new $1.14 billion facility in Manhattan, Kan

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/18/2901333/apnewsbreak-gsa-study-backs-ny.html

:surprised: :excited:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 19, 2012, 02:17:40 PM »
Guys, how much do you think that porkchop island costs?  Could be an elite vacation spot within striking distance of NYC.  EMAW Island???

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 19, 2012, 02:24:46 PM »
Guys, how much do you think that porkchop island costs?  Could be an elite vacation spot within striking distance of NYC.  EMAW Island???

I would build a home there, name it "Meatgoat Manor"

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 19, 2012, 03:47:17 PM »
Yes, please!  We'd rule the Hamptons: "Want to come back to my island?"

"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 31, 2012, 07:49:29 PM »
https://blogs.k-state.edu/kstatenews/2012/07/31/video-tour-of-the-future-nbaf-site/

I've seen this video before today, so why was it posted on kstate news today?  This has been a major mind shazbot!.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 31, 2012, 10:05:43 PM »
https://blogs.k-state.edu/kstatenews/2012/07/31/video-tour-of-the-future-nbaf-site/

I've seen this video before today, so why was it posted on kstate news today?  This has been a major mind shazbot!.

first time i've watched it and i just learned that the earliest it will be finished will be 2019 and the soonest it will be opened is 2021. and that's like best case scenario stuff.  :frown:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 31, 2012, 10:08:30 PM »

first time i've watched it and i just learned that the earliest it will be finished will be 2019 and the soones it will be opened is 2021. and that's like best case scenario stuff.  :frown:
I don't know.  I think I like being super arrogant about what NBAF will bring MHK more than I'll like what NBAF actually brings.

Who knows though?  Both are so fun!

:grin:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 31, 2012, 10:31:11 PM »
Being cocky about getting it is way better than actually having it.  Ftb

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 01, 2012, 07:13:30 AM »
if anything it will be much, much, much better than we even dream

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 01, 2012, 08:43:13 AM »
What we really need is for one of the good folks at Sporting News to go ahead and do an NBAF preview so we can all know just what to expect from this thing. Those guys are BITB at previews.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 20, 2012, 08:16:39 AM »

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 20, 2012, 08:27:43 AM »
 :dance:
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 20, 2012, 09:01:07 AM »
great job scoops dave

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 14, 2012, 05:52:28 PM »
:|

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20318386

oh man, rancher guy was fantastic, even though I couldn't tell whose subsidies he was whining about.

They don't know any more about technology than a tomcat knows about makin' gingerbread.