Author Topic: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?  (Read 116724 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?
« on: September 01, 2010, 04:32:38 PM »
I'm not in the know so I really have no idea.  Does anyone know of any projections or have any type of answers on this?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 05:06:41 PM »
Estimated to grow at about 6969% for the next 69 years. Shouldnt end up with somewhere around 6.9 million people in the Manhattan metro area by 2069.

Offline Scary Smart

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 05:37:50 PM »
Not that Weefer is the most reliable source or anything, but there's this:

Construction of the biodefense laboratory in Manhattan, Kansas, is “the most important economic development event in Kansas since railroads crossed the length of the state, some observers opine. Jon Wefald, president of Kansas State University, notes that Manhattan’s population could double in 15 years as Kansas State and the city “are poised to become the epicenter of a Silicon Valley of animal health for this state, America, and the world.” He anticipates that the center will “draw hundreds of animal-health and food-safety researchers worldwide” and will “present a huge gravitational pull” for “companies to line up offices and plants along a research corridor stretching east to Kansas City and all the way to Columbia, Missouri.” Wefald continued, “This event will go down in our state’s history as one of Kansas’ finest hours—period. Amen and goodnight.”

http://www.semp.us/publications/biot_reader.php?BiotID=574

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 08:27:56 PM »
About 50 people more.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »
Anything Wefald says =  :facepalm:

He's so incredibly stupid.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 10:00:26 PM »
At best it might mean an increase of 10,000 people. That is if we can lure the manufacturing companies to the area. Otherwise it will probably increase it by about 1,000 people.

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 10:24:56 PM »
Rumblings have that there will be three Chinese, four Indians and a  small contingent of Thai whores for these scientist's pleasure.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:52:30 PM »
I'd say about 1000 to 1500 directly related to NBAF.   It might push 2000 depending on who else wants to hop on the gravy train.

Of course if you listen to people like my brother a science degree nerdy type . . . the NBAF is going to kill all living things within 6 years anyway. 

The42Yardstick

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 10:57:18 PM »
In terms of people, I'm not sure. But in terms of academic benefit, I think it could be a big factor in KSU's push to get to Tier 1. This is the type of place that will help pump out some high-quality doctorates...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 12:28:07 AM »
Anything Wefald says =  :facepalm:

He's so incredibly stupid.

He's a lot of things, this he absolutely is not

an enormous egomaniac bordering on megalomania yep, stupid, no

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 07:33:53 AM »
In terms of people, I'm not sure. But in terms of academic benefit, I think it could be a big factor in KSU's push to get to Tier 1. This is the type of place that will help pump out some high-quality doctorates...

A lot of locals are also hoping this could be the deciding factor that finally brings us a Red Lobster.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 07:48:58 AM »
It isn't the amount of jobs but how many of the jobs are high paying.  A large influx of upper class would be huge for the manhattan economy.  I mean, say it brings 1,500 people.  How many of these people are going to make > $100k?  That's the important number, not the amount of total people (imo).

Also, ya, red lobster would blow the doors off this SOB.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 08:54:52 AM »
It isn't the amount of jobs but how many of the jobs are high paying.  A large influx of upper class would be huge for the manhattan economy.  I mean, say it brings 1,500 people.  How many of these people are going to make > $100k?  That's the important number, not the amount of total people (imo).

The Red Lobster is very important for our status as a big time city.  Plus, with all of these people with high paying people coming to town they are going to need a good place to eat, entertain, "do business", etc.  Red Lobster.

Hearing rumblings we might be getting some form of bus service as well.  Thanks again, NBAF.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 09:05:48 AM »
Love those Red Lob biscuits.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 09:06:25 AM »

The Red Lobster is very important for our status as a big time city.  Plus, with all of these people with high paying people coming to town they are going to need a good place to eat, entertain, "do business", etc.  Red Lobster.

Hearing rumblings we might be getting some form of bus service as well.  Thanks again, NBAF.

I understand Reb Lobster is "big time", but can we opt for a Joe's Crab Shack instead?
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 09:13:15 AM »
i was in the mood for crab one time so i stopped by the bitchin joe's crab shack in Olathe.  i sat down and looked at the menu.  that place is a joke.  didn't even order.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 09:21:56 AM »
The pop expansion is not due directly to NBAF employees.

The description I heard regarding how this will increase the pop is due to other companies that will be coming in to be near to NBAF.  About a year ago, the city had reported a decent amount of other companies that had opened discussions with both Manhattan and Junk City about moving their companies there, contingent upon the NBAF approval.  Lots of labs that work on stuff directly related to what the NBAF does, to the point that proximity is important.  

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 09:22:44 AM »
i was in the mood for crab one time so i stopped by the bitchin joe's crab shack in Olathe.  i sat down and looked at the menu.  that place is a joke.  didn't even order.

this.

Fracking hate that place.

Some of the food is ok, but not worth the annoying people or the prices.

The42Yardstick

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 09:31:49 AM »
Joe's Crab Shack is crappy everywhere. They went out of business in my hometown for good reason. You always get 1 or more things to detract from your restaurant experience while you're there; sometimes your food is undercooked, sometimes they get your order wrong, sometimes their food takes like dog barf, and all of the time their stuff is overpriced.

The42Yardstick

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 09:32:47 AM »

A lot of locals are also hoping this could be the deciding factor that finally brings us a Red Lobster.

Their biscuits are much more important than PhD's

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 10:19:26 AM »
Love those Red Lob biscuits.

god yes.  my wife introduced these to me.  probably the biggest reason to ever go to the RL

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 10:28:24 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Recipes/story?id=2788706

Make them at home.  yes, they are the same and are good.

Never have to go to RL again.

Your welcome.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 11:03:31 AM »

I understand Reb Lobster is "big time", but can we opt for a Joe's Crab Shack instead?

Let's stick with Red Lobster. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 11:08:53 AM »
Forced to eat at RL awhile back for the first time in years . . . now I understand why it's been years since I ate at one.   :flush:

Offline Paul Moscow

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 11:24:19 AM »
Not that Weefer is the most reliable source or anything, but there's this:

Construction of the biodefense laboratory in Manhattan, Kansas, is “the most important economic development event in Kansas since railroads crossed the length of the state, some observers opine. Jon Wefald, president of Kansas State University, notes that Manhattan’s population could double in 15 years as Kansas State and the city “are poised to become the epicenter of a Silicon Valley of animal health for this state, America, and the world.” He anticipates that the center will “draw hundreds of animal-health and food-safety researchers worldwide” and will “present a huge gravitational pull” for “companies to line up offices and plants along a research corridor stretching east to Kansas City and all the way to Columbia, Missouri.” Wefald continued, “This event will go down in our state’s history as one of Kansas’ finest hours—period. Amen and goodnight.”

http://www.semp.us/publications/biot_reader.php?BiotID=574

:lol:

He really said this? Amen and goodnight? hahaha