Author Topic: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?  (Read 120035 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: How much growth will NBAF give Manhattan/KSU?
« Reply #900 on: January 17, 2014, 09:18:03 AM »
Roberts is an absolute doofus who panders to his even dumber constituency.  It will be fun to watch him lose the next election

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: January 17, 2014, 09:18:48 AM »
Roberts is an absolute doofus who panders to his even dumber constituency.  It will be fun to watch him lose the next election

why would he lose?  He has been there for ages and nothing has changed in our dumbass state.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: January 17, 2014, 09:20:54 AM »

why would he lose?  He has been there for ages and nothing has changed in our dumbass state.

This has to be the first time he voted against a half billion project all contained within his state. 

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: January 17, 2014, 09:21:59 AM »
Pat Roberts' opposition to the most recent spending bill is outrageous, yet also unsurprising.  rough ridin' politics.  In non-election years, he pimps the crap out of this project despite being a "small government," fiscally responsible republican.  Repeatedly criticizing Obama for cutting funding in past.  And now, in the 2014 election cycle, with the project on the verge of approval, this eff hole votes against the thing to "send a signal."     

“It gives me no pleasure to vote against a bill that includes an important project into which I have put my heart and soul and many hours of work,” Roberts said.

“But that vote was necessary to send a signal we can no longer afford unchecked spending as usual.”

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/16/4757274/roberts-joins-huelskamp-pompeo.html

Some nice renderings:
http://www.perkinswill.com/work/national-bio-and-agro-defense-facility.html
http://mcmjv.com/project-information/

:love:

Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: January 17, 2014, 09:29:03 AM »

This has to be the first time he voted against a half billion project all contained within his state.

Yeah, but he did so as a political move to show fiscal responsibility knowing it would pass anyway.  His state gets the project and he looks like a financial watchdog to the retards.  Win(state economy)/Win(Roberts election)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: January 17, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »
lsoc is right

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 17, 2014, 09:34:14 AM »

Yeah, but he did so as a political move to show fiscal responsibility knowing it would pass anyway.  His state gets the project and he looks like a financial watchdog to the retards.  Win(state economy)/Win(Roberts election)

He could still eff it up.  Anytime a rep can deliver a half billion dollar project to a state like Kansas that has what, 3 electoral votes, everyone should vote yes regardless of the affiliation.  Every other state's elected offcials gets it except this cocksucker

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 17, 2014, 09:43:38 AM »
I am not agreeing with him, but I think he wins again.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: January 17, 2014, 10:06:54 AM »
So are we going to get this f9cking thing or what?
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: January 17, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »
Roberts prob voted against it because the Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) thinks he can run for President.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 17, 2014, 01:09:19 PM »
Roberts prob voted against it because the Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) thinks he can run for President.

This.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 17, 2014, 01:11:59 PM »

just another power-hungry ass hat who will do whatever the eff he has to do to hold on to power.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 17, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »
Man, lotta hate for Roberts on here. I guess it doesn't bother me because I don't think it's hypocritical to (1) recognize this project is a massive waste of money, but (2) realize there's nothing I can do to stop it so I can at least enjoy the ancillary benefit to Manhattan, KS. Then again, I'm not a senator who actually has power over appropriations.

Btw - this project won't be online until 2022. All they're building right now is the power plant to run the facility, and even the plant won't be done  until 2016, I think.

Also, the dumb "Plum Island" concerns aside, the NBAF's proximity to the university was one of the major selling points of the Manhattan location. They didn't want some remote facility that was difficult for the scientists to get to. The CDC is located in downtown Atlanta right next to Emory U.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:28:21 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 17, 2014, 02:20:33 PM »
Man, lotta hate for Roberts on here. I guess it doesn't bother me because I don't think it's hypocritical to (1) recognize this project is a massive waste of money, but (2) realize there's nothing I can do to stop it so I can at least enjoy the ancillary benefit to Manhattan, KS. Then again, I'm not a senator who actually has power over appropriations.

Btw - this project won't be online until 2022. All they're building right now is the power plant to run the facility, and even the plant won't be done  until 2016, I think.
you're a waste of money
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 17, 2014, 03:28:25 PM »
Man, lotta hate for Roberts on here. I guess it doesn't bother me because I don't think it's hypocritical to (1) recognize this project is a massive waste of money, but (2) realize there's nothing I can do to stop it so I can at least enjoy the ancillary benefit to Manhattan, KS.

The project was Pat Roberts' idea in the first place!  Hence, the hypocracy.  And he's championed this "massive waste of money" at every turn of the pass.  Hence, double hyprocacy.     

Found this gem of a press release from 2013. 

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, U.S. Senator Pat Roberts (R-Kan.) along with U.S. Senator Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), a member of the U.S. Senate Appropriations Committee, announced the Fiscal Year 2014 Homeland Security Appropriations Bill was approved with bipartisan support by the Senate Appropriations Committee. The bill includes $404 million for construction of the National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility (NBAF), an amount equal to the U.S. House of Representatives approved appropriations bill and a critical step forward for the lab under construction in Manhattan, Kan.

“It’s an objective fact,” Sen. Roberts said. “The nation needs NBAF. Every delay leaves the American people and the American food supply at greater risk. Another important step toward completion was made today as $404 million for construction of the NBAF made it out of committee and is now on its way to the Senate floor. We need to get this done, and I look forward to broad bipartisan support of the NBAF on the Senate floor.”

The committee approved bill now awaits passage by the full U.S. Senate.

http://www.moran.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/news-releases?ID=dbd095bd-ffbd-4799-a507-65703b42074c

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: January 17, 2014, 04:02:12 PM »
Proposing an expensive undertaking such as this, then voting against its funding, is gross negligence, at the least.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 17, 2014, 04:24:37 PM »
I don't like Roberts as much as the next guy, but he voted against a 1.1 trillion dollar spending bill.  Making it sound like he voted specifically against the NBAF is a stretch.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:51:56 PM by ChiCat »

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 17, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »
I don't like Roberts as the next guy, but he voted against a 1.1 trillion dollar spending bill.  Making it sound like he voted specifically against the NBAF is a stretch.
and he probably knew without a doubt that the bill would pass.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 17, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
Well, to be fair, the project has nearly doubled in cost since it was first approved. It has something to do with some dumbass's decision to encase a big portion of the facility in about a foot of concrete. Apparently, it can withstand an EF-5 tornado, polar vortex, and shark-nado all at the same time.

We need to figure out how to somehow get our football renovations worked into this project. :money:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 17, 2014, 04:33:53 PM »
Well, to be fair, the project has nearly doubled in cost since it was first approved. It has something to do with some dumbass's decision to encase a big portion of the facility in about a foot of concrete. Apparently, it can withstand an EF-5 tornado, polar vortex, and shark-nado all at the same time.

We need to figure out how to somehow get our football renovations worked into this project. :money:
you need to be happier about the amount of construction planned for manhattan or i'm going to change your name to G-O-P Republicans!

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: January 17, 2014, 05:54:48 PM »

That's supposed to be dumb??

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 17, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »
I don't like Roberts as much as the next guy, but he voted against a 1.1 trillion dollar spending bill.  Making it sound like he voted specifically against the NBAF is a stretch.

Odd.  In non-election year, Roberts introduced and passed a massive Farm Bill priced at $1 trillion, saying “It shows what can happen if we break the logjam of partisanship and work together to get something done."  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/us/politics/senate-passes-farm-bill-but-tougher-road-seen-in-house.html

He also voted in support of a 2012 Senate spending bill that was about 950billion. 

so.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 17, 2014, 07:05:52 PM »

Odd.  In non-election year, Roberts introduced and passed a massive Farm Bill priced at $1 trillion, saying “It shows what can happen if we break the logjam of partisanship and work together to get something done."  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/us/politics/senate-passes-farm-bill-but-tougher-road-seen-in-house.html

He also voted in support of a 2012 Senate spending bill that was about 950billion. 

so.

He is either getting pushed right by GOP competition in his primary or he is going right for GOP Pres nomination.  Neither of those two things were an issue in 2012.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 18, 2014, 12:10:27 AM »

so.

He is either getting pushed right by GOP competition in his primary or he is going right for GOP Pres nomination.  Neither of those two things were an issue in 2012.

Yeah.  That's the point.  Politics. 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 18, 2014, 02:04:09 AM »

That's supposed to be dumb??

It is according to a director of the facility, whom I just spoke to in the last couple of weeks. He didn't make any secret of it. The design has been way over-built, which has doubled the cost and extended the schedule (lawsuits and funding questions didn't help either, obviously). So we're now looking at a facility that's going to cost over a billion dollars that won't be open until 2022 at the earliest. In other words, exactly what you would expect from the government.

He also had some pretty funny stories about Texas's lawsuit challenging the Manhattan location. Apparently, they actually cited Wizard if Oz as proof that Kansas was too risky because of tornados. They also cited the Greensburg tornado even though that's geographically closer to Texas than Manhattan.