Author Topic: KU's version of Hard Knocks  (Read 23583 times)

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
Re: KU's version of Hard Knocks
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2010, 05:14:25 PM »
Those 'clowns' got you to an Orange Bowl. Is Gill's staff better?

No.  Beams understands that the Orange bowl season was a complete fluke.

Gill's staff is better than Mangino's, and it's really not that close.  Mangino would have killed to have recruiters like Reggie Mitchell and Darrell Wyatt on his staff.  Also, there's no comparison between Clint Bowen and Karl Torbush, especially when it comes to having experience as a defensive coordinator.  Chuck Long is a hell of a coach as well.  

Mangino and Bill Young >>>>>>>Any of KU's current coaches and [spoiler]it's not even close[/spoiler]

Mangino was mediocre at best until he finally fired Nick Quartaro and replaced him with Ed Warriner in 2007.  Young's defenses were great at stopping the run, but until Talib came along, his pass defense was crap.  Leave KU football discussion to the people who actually have a clue as to what they're talking about.  TIA.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:43:15 PM by BMWJhawk »

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »
Those 'clowns' got you to an Orange Bowl. Is Gill's staff better?

No.  Beams understands that the Orange bowl season was a complete fluke.

Gill's staff is better than Mangino's, and it's really not that close.  Mangino would have killed to have recruiters like Reggie Mitchell and Darrell Wyatt on his staff.  Also, there's no comparison between Clint Bowen and Karl Torbush, especially when it comes to having experience as a defensive coordinator.  Chuck Long is a hell of a coach as well.  

Mangino and Bill Young >>>>>>>Any of KU's current coaches and [spoiler]it's not even close[/spoiler]

Mangino was mediocre at best until he finally fired Nick Quartaro and replaced him with Ed Warriner in 2007.  Young's defenses were great at stopping the run, but until Talib came along, his pass defense was crap.  Leave KU football discussion to the people who actually have a clue as to what they're talking about.  TIA.

So all these new coaches who haven't coached one game together are all better than your schools [spoiler]greatest[/spoiler] head coach ever and one of the best d-coordinators in the game today.  Holy eff you're some kind of stupid.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2010, 10:43:34 PM »
Leave football talk to people who don't know crap.  Ben claimed last years ku second team could beat the cats, and ksu ended up handing ku's first team their ass.  So, Ben is o-fer on predictions.   Time to redeem.

Ben, your prediction please.  My prediction for ku is deadlast in the north, like last year.  Take a position or meltdown (again) and go.

Don't make me wait all day froggot.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2010, 12:22:57 AM »
Ben-  how is it that this all star staff of recruiters sucks so bad at recruiting?  And if you claim that the 3* kids that originally committed to Iowa and Nubb are major coups I will most likely have an anneurysm.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2010, 12:30:40 AM »
Ben-  how is it that this all star staff of recruiters sucks so bad at recruiting?  And if you claim that the 3* kids that originally committed to Iowa and Nubb are major coups I will most likely have an anneurysm.

He needs to cut and paste an explanation from phog.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2010, 12:36:33 AM »
I found more video of Ku's version of hard knocks.

“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2010, 12:42:18 AM »
Ben is totally staying the course of his posting style.  Say something that he thinks is smart/witty, then get a response that makes him look like a fucknugget, then wait, wait, wait, try to find a response on phog, then post here two weeks later.

[spoiler]Classic.[/spoiler]

The42Yardstick

« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2010, 01:47:08 AM »
Speaking of hard knocks, Rell Lewis is out for the season. I'm hearing rumblings on Twitter that KU's backup running back is now BMWJHawk :surprised:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2010, 11:27:12 AM »
Speaking of hard knocks, Rell Lewis is out for the season. I'm hearing rumblings on Twitter that KU's backup running back is now BMWJHawk :surprised:

He would copy someone else's running style.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2010, 11:30:57 AM »

perhaps more appropriate?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2010, 11:36:13 AM »

are you kidding?  ku's class would be lighting up the mid major schools that all the coaches came from.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2010, 12:00:42 PM »
Maybe they are actually really good at recruiting but they're also really, really bad judges of talent? 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2010, 03:59:52 PM »
Carl Torbush . . . unceremoniously crap canned at UNC.

Carl Torbush . . . barely beat the flaming torches and pitchforks out of College Station.

Carl Torbush . . . tears of joy upon his departure at Mississippi State.

Online Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2010, 12:04:58 AM »

perhaps more appropriate?

Actually this is more like it!!!! 
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2010, 07:45:04 PM »

wut

:confused:

KU has almost twice as many 3-stars (11) as K-State (6).  You're damn right I'm excited about stealing commitments from Nebraska and Iowa.  Those are some big name programs.   

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2010, 07:50:25 PM »

wut

KU has almost twice as many 3-stars (11) as K-State (6).  You're damn right I'm excited about stealing commitments from Nebraska and Iowa.  Those are some big name programs.   

They'll all get [spoiler]hurt[/spoiler] so why does it matter?  :dunno:

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2010, 07:57:36 PM »

wut

You got two 3* kids to switch commitments who only had 1 other BCS offer each.  Oh, and one was from freaking OP.  Wow.  This is truly what recruiting dream teams are made of.  Oh, and 2 of our juco kids will definitely be at least 3*s (Kennard and Williams) and Pease may well be a 3* athlete as well.  And there is the matter of the two 5* transfers we have...

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2010, 07:58:48 PM »
How many 5 stars?

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2010, 08:01:01 PM »

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2010, 08:02:04 PM »

wut

You got two 3* kids to switch commitments who only had 1 other BCS offer each.  Oh, and one was from freaking OP.  Wow.  This is truly what recruiting dream teams are made of.  Oh, and 2 of our juco kids will definitely be at least 3*s (Kennard and Williams) and Pease may well be a 3* athlete as well.  And there is the matter of the two 5* transfers we have...

No matter how you try to spin it, KU has almost twice as many 3-star commitments as K-State, and that's after a season where KU lost seven straight games and fired its coaching staff.  It's nice to hear that K-State continues to live off of juco's and transfers from other programs, though.  

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2010, 08:03:57 PM »

wut

No matter how you try to spin it, KU has almost twice as many 3-star commitments as K-State, and that's after a season where KU lost seven straight games and fired its coaching staff.  It's nice to hear that K-State continues to live off of juco's and transfers from other programs, though.  

The Browns completely ignoring KU still hurts, doesn't it?

Offline BrotherDDay

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2010, 08:04:19 PM »

Carl Torbush . . . barely beat the flaming torches and pitchforks out of College Station.

You failed to mention his little pit stop at Carson-Newman as the LB coach after Fran canned him at aTm.  Heck, at least Tibs was a DC at a DII school...

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2010, 08:08:49 PM »

wut

The Browns completely ignoring KU still hurts, doesn't it?

Are you referring to those two busts out of Wichita that couldn't cut it at Miami/Tennessee?

:lol:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2010, 08:15:24 PM »
The way Torbush couldn't cut it....everywhere?

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2010, 08:19:50 PM »

Torbush was the defensive coordinator for Mack Brown at UNC, and coached guys like Julius Peppers, Dre Bly, Greg Ellis, etc.  His '95, '96, and '97 units led the nation in total defense three years in a row, and were often regarded as the best in the country.  When Mack Brown left for Texas, Torbush took over as head coach for a few years, compiling an overall record of 17-18.  His only losing season as head coach at UNC was in '99, when UNC went 3-8.  Regardless, the guy's got tons of experience, especially at the BCS level.  I'd say he's an upgrade over Clint Bowen.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:23:47 PM by BMWJhawk »