Author Topic: KU's version of Hard Knocks  (Read 23207 times)

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
Re: KU's version of Hard Knocks
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2010, 04:44:40 PM »
I'm a little surprised by all of the negative responses.  I figured someone would at least be jealous of KU's elite football coverage. 
I always hated church camp, so jealousy is not the proper emotion to cite here.  Pity would be the closest I can think of.

Offline TheMadCatter

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2010, 10:16:19 PM »
Looking back that willie chant/power towel video is absolute awesomeness.

Strangely, that song is used at a lot of arenas and stadiums. I can never get past the connection, though.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2010, 10:41:51 AM »
Toben Opurum is so good at running back that he plays linebacker.

:users:

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2010, 11:43:34 AM »
MacDougald is so good at WR that he plays safety.  Was that what Ben warned us about?!  :scared:

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2010, 11:52:36 AM »
Gill is such a good middle of the MAC pack head coach that he will be head coach at ukans.

The42Yardstick

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2010, 12:14:21 PM »

I was reserving judgment on Gill until now. This move is so stupid that it makes my eyes pop out of my butt. Opurum was someone who could actually keep KU in games last year when Mangino pulled his head out of his ass and used him instead of Jake "I get knocked down by 15 mph winds" Sharp. KU is absolutely woefully thin at LB, but why not move Angus Quigley back to the position? He at least has experience there, even though he was marginal at it. Opurum could have been their relative equivalent to Daniel Thomas--a ball-control, bruising RB who could keep KU's bad defense off of the field and get a few touchdowns along the way. There's no guarantee that Quigley will be nearly as effective.

There's a big meltdown on the KU rebel bbs about it right now...I don't blame them. If Synds moved Daniel Thomas to LB, I'd crap a brick the size of a small apartment complex.

edit: I get that a power back might be a departure from Gill's planned strategies, whatever they are, but when you've been whisked into a fairly cacophonous situation like KU's roster, you go with the best talent that you've got in your first year and get "your" backups some carries so they can at least have experience for future years. .
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:22:43 PM by The42Yardstick »

Offline broXcore

• Katpak'r
  • cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2010, 12:16:14 PM »
lol keeston terry was moved to defense as well

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2010, 12:41:30 PM »

I was reserving judgment on Gill until now. This move is so stupid that it makes my eyes pop out of my butt. Opurum was someone who could actually keep KU in games last year when Mangino pulled his head out of his ass and used him instead of Jake "I get knocked down by 15 mph winds" Sharp. KU is absolutely woefully thin at LB, but why not move Angus Quigley back to the position? He at least has experience there, even though he was marginal at it. Opurum could have been their relative equivalent to Daniel Thomas--a ball-control, bruising RB who could keep KU's bad defense off of the field and get a few touchdowns along the way. There's no guarantee that Quigley will be nearly as effective.

There's a big meltdown on the KU rebel bbs about it right now...I don't blame them. If Synds moved Daniel Thomas to LB, I'd crap a brick the size of a small apartment complex.

edit: I get that a power back might be a departure from Gill's planned strategies, whatever they are, but when you've been whisked into a fairly cacophonous situation like KU's roster, you go with the best talent that you've got in your first year and get "your" backups some carries so they can at least have experience for future years. .

Opurum was given an opportunity to earn his starting spot back, but he got beat out by a few of the other backs.  I'll trust Reggie Mitchell's evaluation of running backs over Louis Matsakis and some of the other clowns that were coaching for Mangino.  Just because Opurum was one of our only options at running back last season doesn't mean he's guaranteed anything this year.  He got beat out fair and square by players who performed better in practice and in scrimmages.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2010, 12:43:03 PM »
MacDougald is so good at WR that he plays safety.  Was that what Ben warned us about?!  :scared:

McDougald is starting at wide receiver. 

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/897/976031.pdf

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2010, 12:43:53 PM »

Opurum was given an opportunity to earn his starting spot back, but he got beat out by a few of the other backs.  I'll trust Reggie Mitchell's evaluation of running backs over Louis Matsakis and some of the other clowns that were coaching for Mangino.  Just because Opurum was one of our only options at running back last season doesn't mean he's guaranteed anything this year.  He got beat out fair and square by players who performed better in practice and in scrimmages.

or maybe he [spoiler]cussed[/spoiler] during practice   :surprised:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2010, 12:48:29 PM »
KU is going to be complete dog crap this year. 

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2010, 12:57:08 PM »
Those 'clowns' got you to an Orange Bowl. Is Gill's staff better?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2010, 12:58:12 PM »

No.  Beams understands that the Orange bowl season was a complete fluke.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »

They won't be any worse than K-State. 

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2010, 03:40:55 PM »

care to wager and melt down on that?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2010, 03:41:18 PM »
Move all the athletes to D.  Very Mountain West of Gill

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2010, 03:53:11 PM »

care to wager and melt down on that?

You guys are basing everything off of last season's results, which is comical to say the least.  KU quit on Mangino last season, and it showed.  I have no idea why K-State fans think they know everything about KU's personnel, but KU is deep at quite a few positions.  For all of Mangino's flaws, he did bring in some quality talent over the past few seasons.  Guys like Kevin Young, Prinz Kande, Lubbock Smith, Tim Biere, Bradley McDougald, etc, etc. are finally going to have their opportunity to step up.  I would just be cautious about writing anyone off next year, especially since people wrote off K-State last season, and look how close you guys came to winning the North. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2010, 04:00:17 PM »

No.  Beams understands that the Orange bowl season was a complete fluke.

Gill's staff is better than Mangino's, and it's really not that close.  Mangino would have killed to have recruiters like Reggie Mitchell and Darrell Wyatt on his staff.  Also, there's no comparison between Clint Bowen and Karl Torbush, especially when it comes to having experience as a defensive coordinator.  Chuck Long is a hell of a coach as well.  

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2010, 04:01:45 PM »
Move all the athletes to D.  Very Mountain West of Gill

Actually, Gill and co. want more speed and big play ability at the running back position, which is why they switched Opurum to LB. 

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2010, 04:06:42 PM »

What do you have KU going with that "depth chart" Ben? :shy:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 04:16:10 PM by Pett »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2010, 04:32:52 PM »
Let's have your prediction of how this loaded ku team with amazing coaching is going to do. 

PS.  I predict they will finish behind KSU.

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2010, 04:35:11 PM »
Let's have your prediction of how this loaded ku team with amazing coaching is going to do. 

You're obviously basing this prediction on last year, which is completely irrationale.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2010, 04:37:40 PM »

I don't know, that etc., etc. guy sounds pretty good.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2010, 04:39:32 PM »

I don't know, that etc., etc. guy sounds pretty good.

There were two or three guys in the "Had Relations with Kerry" line that looked like they may turn into something given the right amount of coaching and praying.   :dunno:

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2010, 05:06:44 PM »

No.  Beams understands that the Orange bowl season was a complete fluke.

Gill's staff is better than Mangino's, and it's really not that close.  Mangino would have killed to have recruiters like Reggie Mitchell and Darrell Wyatt on his staff.  Also, there's no comparison between Clint Bowen and Karl Torbush, especially when it comes to having experience as a defensive coordinator.  Chuck Long is a hell of a coach as well.  

Mangino and Bill Young >>>>>>>Any of KU's current coaches and [spoiler]it's not even close[/spoiler]