Author Topic: CHIEFS  (Read 1460834 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: CHIEFS
« Reply #22725 on: March 15, 2023, 10:51:27 AM »
A TE in round 1. I mean is this person high on grass?

the best part of that is even if you hit a bullseye, after 3 years congrats now you have the highest paid TE in the league. is that what you want? of course not.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22726 on: March 15, 2023, 11:17:57 AM »
In my IMO, we need to add "some beef" this draft.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #22727 on: March 15, 2023, 11:52:26 AM »
I bought my tickets to come back for the draft the other day. Super excited.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22728 on: March 15, 2023, 12:16:31 PM »
Mocat diced me up like Dahmer ITT. Hopefully it serves as a cautionary tale to others.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22729 on: March 15, 2023, 01:19:08 PM »
With Henne's retirement its obvs we need to draft a QB.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22730 on: March 15, 2023, 10:06:19 PM »

the best part of that is even if you hit a bullseye, after 3 years congrats now you have the highest paid TE in the league. is that what you want? of course not.

How does one become the highest paid TE in the league on a 5th year option?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22731 on: March 15, 2023, 10:22:51 PM »

That would never happen. Any other brain busters?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22732 on: March 15, 2023, 10:23:25 PM »
Did OBJ just take less money in Cincy than the chiefs offered him?

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22733 on: March 15, 2023, 10:58:43 PM »

Significantly less than what the Chiefs offered.  He and his agent mumped around and found out.  Now the Bengals have to use Mixon (or whoever his backup is now) to help chip the left side.  Bengals seem to be having a rough offseason so far. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22734 on: March 16, 2023, 04:40:16 AM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22735 on: March 16, 2023, 04:51:18 AM »

Significantly less than what the Chiefs offered.  He and his agent mumped around and found out.  Now the Bengals have to use Mixon (or whoever his backup is now) to help chip the left side.  Bengals seem to be having a rough offseason so far.
You can chip if you're only paying your LT $16M per year.  Chiefs maybe told him he would be playing RT if he stayed?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22736 on: March 16, 2023, 08:26:49 AM »
this actually makes more sense than at first glance for OBJ. Still left more potential money on the table from the Chiefs, but he will be a FA again before age 30 (as a lot of people have brought up)

https://twitter.com/Jacobs71/status/1636192460400476161

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22737 on: March 16, 2023, 08:28:02 AM »
losing Khalen Saunders kinda stinks, i like him

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22738 on: March 16, 2023, 11:48:08 AM »

The 5th year option would never happen on a TE drafted in the 1st round? I think it would. Hence, you would not have the highest paid TE in the league 3 years after you hit the bullseye and they play well for a season.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22739 on: March 16, 2023, 11:48:46 AM »
this actually makes more sense than at first glance for OBJ. Still left more potential money on the table from the Chiefs, but he will be a FA again before age 30 (as a lot of people have brought up)

Orland Brown, Jr. is a moron for not accepting the Chiefs' contract offer last offseason.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 11:54:12 AM by Justwin »

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22740 on: March 16, 2023, 11:53:55 AM »
I’m holding out until justwin tells me I’m wrong, then maybe I’ll come off it.

If all of our bases are covered in terms of having competent starters at each position, I think drafting the best available player is a good strategy. If that happens to be a TE, so be it. If Bijan Robinson was available at 31, I don't think it would be the worst idea to draft him. I'm very much a don't draft RBs in the 1st round guy, but I'd make an exception for him.

I am hoping an EDGE, a WR or an OT (or perhaps IDL) is the BPA at that time, but we'll have to see. If that's not the case, we should be trying very hard to move back.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #22741 on: March 16, 2023, 02:24:30 PM »
With Henne's retirement its obvs we need to draft a QB.
We should take a flyer on a 5-7th rounder every couple of years. Develop them with Reid/Mahomes and then when they randomly start a couple of games one year (last game of the year, 1 game where Mahomes is hurt etc) and ball out you trade them for picks.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22742 on: March 16, 2023, 04:25:23 PM »
Did it seem odd to anyone that they just partially restructured this year on Mahomes' contract?  It seems to me like they're trying to clear a specific amount of cap space which makes me think they're close to a trade.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22743 on: March 16, 2023, 04:39:24 PM »
Did it seem odd to anyone that they just partially restructured this year on Mahomes' contract?  It seems to me like they're trying to clear a specific amount of cap space which makes me think they're close to a trade.

they're trying to keep Chris Jones

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22744 on: March 16, 2023, 04:41:07 PM »

Orland Brown, Jr. is a moron for not accepting the Chiefs' contract offer last offseason.

he's getting $42M guaranteed through 2 years, which is more than the entire guaranteed amount through the length of the chiefs' offer

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22745 on: March 16, 2023, 04:43:19 PM »

The 5th year option would never happen on a TE drafted in the 1st round? I think it would. Hence, you would not have the highest paid TE in the league 3 years after you hit the bullseye and they play well for a season.

so assuming your HoF caliber 1st round TE agrees to play out his 5th year option without a contract (lol), you're OK walking away? because if you want to sign a 2nd contract you can count on it making him the highest paid at his position. which is something the chiefs should not be looking to do at TE

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22746 on: March 16, 2023, 04:54:08 PM »

they're trying to keep Chris Jones
CJ is under contract next year. If they needed to free up money for him, I’d assume they just play with the signing bonus on the new deal. I don’t know that they’d take it out of the Mahomes contract.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22747 on: March 16, 2023, 06:06:37 PM »

so assuming your HoF caliber 1st round TE agrees to play out his 5th year option without a contract (lol), you're OK walking away? because if you want to sign a 2nd contract you can count on it making him the highest paid at his position. which is something the chiefs should not be looking to do at TE

Plenty of players play on their 5th year option. Even if a hypothetical player signed a new contract early, that 5th year option salary would be baked into the contract. The cap hit in that 5th year would be pretty low and the overall value of the contract lower as a result of the 5th year option.

Worrying about how much money the Chiefs should be paying a TE in 4-5 years is pretty LOL.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22748 on: March 16, 2023, 06:11:57 PM »

he's getting $42M guaranteed through 2 years, which is more than the entire guaranteed amount through the length of the chiefs' offer

What were the total guarantees the Chiefs offered? I recall the signing bonus offered being $30 million and the first two years being guaranteed, but I don't remember what the first two years salary were.

EDIT: I looked at the tweet closer now. He had more in injury guarantees from the Chiefs than he does from the Bengals. He's only getting $5 million more in total guarantees than he would have gotten with the Chiefs. However, it is incredibly unlikely the Chiefs would have cut him before Year 3 and taken an $18 million dead money hit.

I think there's a very good chance he would have played 5 of the 6 years on the Chiefs offer last year. That would have paid him $95 million. Now he's going to make at best $80 million over those same 5 years.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 09:25:23 PM by Justwin »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile