Author Topic: Kanye's twitter  (Read 62959 times)

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
Re: Kanye's twitter
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2013, 10:45:23 AM »
White people entertained by Kanye, a black entertainer, are racist.

Only subconsciously racist.  Not sure if that counts or not.  I hope not though because I like Lebron James.   :ohno:

Lebron James is this generation's Uncle Remus.  My word you are a racist. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2013, 10:49:31 AM »

Why are you defaulting to all when he never said all? All the dude said is that some white people see him as a characterization and some like that he fits their warped sense of what black america is, that isn't at all controversial. If Abe proposed a percentage would that soothe your red ass so you can place yourself in the enlightened group? Weird that he would have to explicitly state that "NOT ALL WHITE PEOPLE FEEL THIS WAY."

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2013, 10:58:23 AM »
old black people are completely embarrassed by kanye west

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2013, 10:59:57 AM »

Why are you defaulting to all when he never said all? All the dude said is that some white people see him as a characterization and some like that he fits their warped sense of what black america is, that isn't at all controversial. If Abe proposed a percentage would that soothe your red ass so you can place yourself in the enlightened group? Weird that he would have to explicitly state that "NOT ALL WHITE PEOPLE FEEL THIS WAY."

reread his post.

On the contrary, white people love Kanye. Old white people hate him, but young white people love him. He's an angry African-American and white people eat that crap up because it entertains them and reduces the African-American culture. Most white people think African-Americans are all young, angry men. So when show ponies like Kanye have these public meltdowns it entertains young white people because it plays up the stereotypes they want to believe. It's similar to how in the 90s there was a "goofball" African-American stereotype (Steve Urkel, Fresh Prince etc) that white people loved to laugh at. Now they love to laugh at the "angry black man".

I don't care if he thinks I'm racist, but I think what he says demeans the work of black men in a way similar to what Kimmel did. And there are far better candidates for "angry black man" in hip hop that lack the open vulnerability and insecurity that Kanye displays. But they aren't as popular because they aren't nearly as good.

Again, he would have a point if someone with the talent of Nelly had risen to Kanye's level. No one today, white or black, is pushing boundaries with music at the level of Kanye while maintaining enormous commercial success. No one really has in the past few decades with perhaps the exception of Radiohead (and IMO it's debatable that they should be considered to be on his level.)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2013, 11:00:56 AM »
My dad listens to his music but calls him mean names :frown:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2013, 11:22:25 AM »

reread his post.

On the contrary, white people love Kanye. Old white people hate him, but young white people love him. He's an angry African-American and white people eat that crap up because it entertains them and reduces the African-American culture. Most white people think African-Americans are all young, angry men. So when show ponies like Kanye have these public meltdowns it entertains young white people because it plays up the stereotypes they want to believe. It's similar to how in the 90s there was a "goofball" African-American stereotype (Steve Urkel, Fresh Prince etc) that white people loved to laugh at. Now they love to laugh at the "angry black man".

I don't care if he thinks I'm racist, but I think what he says demeans the work of black men in a way similar to what Kimmel did. And there are far better candidates for "angry black man" in hip hop that lack the open vulnerability and insecurity that Kanye displays. But they aren't as popular because they aren't nearly as good.

Again, he would have a point if someone with the talent of Nelly had risen to Kanye's level. No one today, white or black, is pushing boundaries with music at the level of Kanye while maintaining enormous commercial success. No one really has in the past few decades with perhaps the exception of Radiohead (and IMO it's debatable that they should be considered to be on his level.)

You're trolling about the Kimmel stuff, right? Yeah, definitely.

Why do you keep talking about his talent like mainstream America takes that analytical approach? Is it not clear to you that he's talking about people who like Kanye songs they hear on the radio but still think of George Bush, Taylor Swift, and Kim Kardashian when they talk to their buddies about 'Ye? He's not talking about people who spent their money on 808s or Yeesus.

Of course Kanye isn't the best voice for angry black man, but he is for the people that Abe is talking about. His popularity makes him an easy target for people that Abe's describing. These people don't have an extensive hip hop catalog. That being said I feel like you are minimizing his anger, WTT seemed to me a giant middle finger to these people.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree how we interpreted Abe's post, pretty dumb thing to have a disagreement about. Although he did post to clarify and agreed with my interpretation of his post.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 01, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
Says a lot about rusty if he thinks the Kimmel stuff was demeaning on a racial level.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 01, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
You're trolling about the Kimmel stuff, right? Yeah, definitely.

http://storify.com/pushinghoops/why-kanye-is-right-and-kimmel-emblematic <-good points here.

Why do you keep talking about his talent like mainstream America takes that analytical approach? Is it not clear to you that he's talking about people who like Kanye songs they hear on the radio but still think of George Bush, Taylor Swift, and Kim Kardashian when they talk to their buddies about 'Ye? He's not talking about people who spent their money on 808s or Yeesus.

Of course Kanye isn't the best voice for angry black man, but he is for the people that Abe is talking about. His popularity makes him an easy target for people that Abe's describing. These people don't have an extensive hip hop catalog. That being said I feel like you are minimizing his anger, WTT seemed to me a giant middle finger to these people.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree how we interpreted Abe's post, pretty dumb thing to have a disagreement about. Although he did post to clarify and agreed with my interpretation of his post.

I don't think these people like Kanye at all and don't buy his music. Basically, Abe thinks these rants make Kanye popular with racist white people, I say they make him less popular with racist white people. But it was very big of you to take the high road and stay out of this dumb disagreement. Kudos!

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 01, 2013, 12:17:14 PM »
mich are you slow or something? abe said 'ye is used as a caricature of the angry black guy.. he's like a modern day NWA for the older gen.
obv. those people would prefer a collin powell in the news and not 'ye

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 01, 2013, 12:17:53 PM »
yes I am slow

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 01, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »
http://storify.com/pushinghoops/why-kanye-is-right-and-kimmel-emblematic <-good points here.
Which ones?

Kanye struggles to be taken seriously as an artist unless he acts "humble" because he is black.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2013, 12:22:49 PM »
And there are far better candidates for "angry black man" in hip hop that lack the open vulnerability and insecurity that Kanye displays. But they aren't as popular because they aren't nearly as good

oh boy.  WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 01, 2013, 12:26:08 PM »
Which ones?

Kanye struggles to be taken seriously as an artist unless he acts "humble" because he is black.
Who doesn't take him seriously as an artist?  A late night talk show host whose job it is to tell jokes about celebrities?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 01, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »
Which ones?

Who doesn't take him seriously as an artist?  A late night talk show host whose job it is to tell jokes about celebrities?
dlew, you're being very disrespectful to kanye west, please - show a little respect

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2013, 12:37:19 PM »
Which ones?

Did you read the tweets? I don't necessarily agree with everything, but it's an interesting perspective that at least affected the way I looked at the skit.

I think a general point the person is trying to make is that if Thom Yorke said something similar to what Kanye said, he wouldn't have been ridiculed the same way. I could be wrong.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 01, 2013, 01:03:10 PM »
No no guys, it's ok that Kanye is a whiney $!#* because he's black, it's just how they are!

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 01, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »
it's an interesting perspective
no its really not..

its reads like someone who thinks a late night host is trying to oppress another black man

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2013, 01:14:56 PM »
Which ones?

Did you read the tweets? I don't necessarily agree with everything, but it's an interesting perspective that at least affected the way I looked at the skit.

I think a general point the person is trying to make is that if Thom Yorke said something similar to what Kanye said, he wouldn't have been ridiculed the same way. I could be wrong.
I read the tweets and I had a hard time figuring who the author was directing her tweets at.  Who exactly isn't taking him as seriously as they should be?  Jimmy Kimel the comedian who routinely parodies celebrities?  My mom who can't name a single Kanye song?  Critics who are racist? Me?  I just have no idea who isn't showing Kanye West the respect he deserves.

The Thom York comparison is off.  Kanye West is a much higher profile name than Thom Yorke, in 2013 America at least.  When is the last time Radiohead was fodder for late night talk shows?  If Miley went out there and said something similar to what Kanye said, it would be just as big of a crap show.  Kanye West catches crap like the stuff Kimel did because he's one of the most famous people on the planet and he routinely says crazy, contentious crap. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:18:57 PM by Dlew12 »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 01, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »
If Kanye is one of the most famous people on the planet, why is naming himself the biggest rock star on the planet crazy and contentious?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 01, 2013, 01:33:33 PM »
While we're on the subject, people need to get off Bieber's dick about the whole Anne Frank thing.  Do they not understand how many records he sells?

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 01, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »
If Kanye is one of the most famous people on the planet, why is naming himself the biggest rock star on the planet crazy and contentious?

Did you actually listen to the interview the skit was based on?  Cause it seems like you didn't.

He sounded like a pouty child.   Having a child read his lines is funny because he sounded like a child in the interview.  I don't see what is so complicated here.

Put Liam Gallagher in the same situation circa 2000(?) and the same skit would be funny.  You bringing race into any of this is ridiculous.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2013, 01:42:26 PM »
No one mocked tom Cruise for his crazy scientology video rant.  Racist media imo.

No one has ever joked about axel rose, or kings of Leon, or jack white throwing tantrums on stage.  Racist late night hosts, my word!

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 01, 2013, 01:43:48 PM »
Kimmel was just doing his art, which Kanye has no appreciation for.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »

Did you actually listen to the interview the skit was based on?  Cause it seems like you didn't.

He sounded like a pouty child.   Having a child read his lines is funny because he sounded like a child in the interview.  I don't see what is so complicated here.

Put Liam Gallagher in the same situation circa 2000(?) and the same skit would be funny.  You bringing race into any of this is ridiculous.

I did watch the interview (at least the first part), and I didn't think he sounded like a child at all. I saw someone extremely passionate about his work who feels he is wrongly ignored in certain circles, but not a child.

You definitely have a point about Gallagher 15 years ago, but I don't think people cared about his rants - I'm guessing he went on many rants about people making fun of him but they were brushed aside and barely noticed.

No one mocked tom Cruise for his crazy scientology video rant.  Racist media imo.

No one has ever joked about axel rose, or kings of Leon, or jack white throwing tantrums on stage.  Racist late night hosts, my word!

The fact that you think Kanye's interview was a tantrum or the equivalent of Tom Cruise's scientology rant kind of proves the point.