Author Topic: cooking  (Read 283029 times)

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
Re: cooking
« Reply #775 on: August 27, 2014, 09:31:32 AM »
flour tortilla seems kinda taco bell-y

Sure go ahead and use a different type of tortilla. But only if you like disgusting food.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 27, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »
fresh grilled corn tortillas are v good and authentic (maize).  in mexico, where the taco was invented, the soil doesn't allow them to grow grain to make flour.  flour tortilla is the invention of the white man, just like taco bell and it is mocked by every true mexican.

go to a true mexican taco hut and ask for a flour tortilla and you will be shot or beheaded by a mexican drug cartel.  if you must eat a white man taco, please do not embarrass america and please don't eat it around anyone from mexico. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 27, 2014, 10:05:01 AM »
And don't ask for cheese on your pizza either, you provincial mongoloids.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 27, 2014, 10:38:34 AM »
all this taco bell talk has me craving an authentic crunch wrap supreme

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 27, 2014, 11:14:37 AM »

the local, family owned taco bell down the road got a new menu recently. took me by surprise and had to take a few to soak it all in. would suggest.

Offline Muldoon

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: August 27, 2014, 11:48:33 AM »
fresh grilled corn tortillas are v good and authentic (maize).  in mexico, where the taco was invented, the soil doesn't allow them to grow grain to make flour.  flour tortilla is the invention of the white man, just like taco bell and it is mocked by every true mexican.

go to a true mexican taco hut and ask for a flour tortilla and you will be shot or beheaded by a mexican drug cartel.  if you must eat a white man taco, please do not embarrass america and please don't eat it around anyone from mexico.
Don't know much about the origins of the flour or corn tortillas but I did eat at some hole in the wall Mexican places (non-touristy, nowhere near the Riverwalk) last month in San Antonio and they were slinging flour torts with the carnitas and chorizo and eggs.  They weren't like the garbage-y ones at Taco Bell or that you buy at the store.  Can confirm the workers were green card holding Mexicans and the carnitas were some of the tastiest things I've ever had. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 27, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »
i just picked up some for lunch, #flourtorts

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 27, 2014, 11:53:43 AM »

Don't know much about the origins of the flour or corn tortillas but I did eat at some hole in the wall Mexican places (non-touristy, nowhere near the Riverwalk) last month in San Antonio and they were slinging flour torts with the carnitas and chorizo and eggs.  They weren't like the garbage-y ones at Taco Bell or that you buy at the store.  Can confirm the workers were green card holding Mexicans and the carnitas were some of the tastiest things I've ever had. 

sorry muldoon hate it break it to you but you were at a gringo's place, probably a t-bell spin off.  up until a couple months ago, most people thought that taco bell was authentic too. 

Offline Muldoon

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 27, 2014, 12:31:52 PM »

sorry muldoon hate it break it to you but you were at a gringo's place, probably a t-bell spin off.  up until a couple months ago, most people thought that taco bell was authentic too.
Are you saying it's not? :horrorsurprise:

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 30, 2014, 09:36:46 AM »
bought Julia Child's Mastering French Cooking this week.  Have never intentionally cooked anything french that I am aware of.  Any recommendos as to a fav dish to start with? 

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 30, 2014, 12:37:49 PM »
Ratatouille, boeuf bourguignon
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:43:09 PM by waks »

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 30, 2014, 03:12:36 PM »
Duck Confit.  Crepes. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 30, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »
I work in BFE and its a pain to go out for lunch.

Looking for ideas on stuff I can "pre-make" and easily heat up/assemble at work.

I made some pasta last week that worked pretty great. Just boil up a package of penne and put it in a gallon zip lock bag.

Made some sauce out of chicken/onion/mushroom/tomatoes/garlic/spinach/whipping cream that was super delicious. 

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 30, 2014, 08:07:40 PM »
Benji, I do this every week.  Sometimes sometHing as simple as grilling a bunch of chicken breasts,  sometimes Some delish chicken, myshroon, wild rice soup.   Red beans and rice,  meatloaf,  etc lately.   Also, premake ham and swiss on rye and get a cheap small george foreman and grill them at work. 

Also, I have been making a mix of equal parts chipolte-style corn salsa, spanish rice, and mex style beans in a ziplock.  That has been delish lately.   

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 30, 2014, 08:11:19 PM »
What do you have to work with at work?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 30, 2014, 09:33:23 PM »
What do you have to work with at work?

A microwave, thats it.

Also I work 12 hr shifts 3/4 days in a row so I like to make one big meal and eat it for lunch every day. Would also appreciate any snack idea's. I've been going with cheese and summer sausage, celery/carrots, and mixed nuts recently.

Come at me with ideas, I'm totes ready.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 30, 2014, 09:43:01 PM »
Just make what you like and make a bunch of it.  Buy some good Pyrex or something.   Makes it easier, imo.  If you want ideas for something new, try Myrecipes.com.  have pulled several good recipes from there. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 30, 2014, 09:57:07 PM »
Just make what you like and make a bunch of it.  Buy some good Pyrex or something.   Makes it easier, imo.  If you want ideas for something new, try Myrecipes.com.  have pulled several good recipes from there.

Yeah, I'm single in my 20's. The only "tupperware" at my house is from when my mom/gma give me cookies or leftovers

I throw stuff in a zip lock bags and put it in a old plastic grocery sack.

Any favorite lunch stuff from myrecipes.com?

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 03, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »

Yeah, I'm single in my 20's. The only "tupperware" at my house is from when my mom/gma give me cookies or leftovers

cheap and e-z lunch; lean cuisine (5/$10) and some fruit

snacks- make salsa and have it with chips, hummus and veggies and pretzels

to cook/make-chili, enchilada casserole (or any casserole that you like that makes tasty leftovers), grill up a bunch of your fave protein and have salads

pyrex is pretty indestructible and cheap glass bakeware, you can cook in it, store it, and reheat.  You can get a nice inexpensive set for $20 or so.

Online puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 03, 2014, 12:53:49 PM »
i am the best a+ lunch maker

i may start a lunch blog

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: September 03, 2014, 01:35:57 PM »

What do you like to eat?

Online puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: September 29, 2014, 10:41:55 AM »
i have experimentally determined that 1 part chorizo to 4 parts sausage makes the scientifically most ultimate possible delicious biscuits and sausage gravy (BSG).

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: September 29, 2014, 10:44:53 AM »
I cooked a little dish called Cheesy Cowboy Casserole at the homestead last night. It'll have your tastebuds screamin' yeeeeehaw!  Served up with all the fixins: cheese, beef, beans, taters.  You name it, partner.  So next time you get hungry, why don't you saddle on up to the table, and try out Cheesy Cowboy Casserole?

http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2013/08/cheesy-crockpot-cowboy-casserole.html

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: September 29, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »
I cooked a little dish called Cheesy Cowboy Casserole at the homestead last night. It'll have your tastebuds screamin' yeeeeehaw!  Served up with all the fixins: cheese, beef, beans, taters.  You name it, partner.  So next time you get hungry, why don't you saddle on up to the table, and try out Cheesy Cowboy Casserole?

http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2013/08/cheesy-crockpot-cowboy-casserole.html

thanks dlew. that dish sounds like a real delicious stereotype!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 29, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »
It was a little too watery.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]