Author Topic: Get the eff OUT game thread  (Read 2949 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Get the eff OUT game thread
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2024, 01:37:23 PM »
The Perry PG experiment should be over.

Bench McNair (and give him the 10ish minutes per game he was always supposed to get) and the primary lineup is Ames, Perry, Cam, AK and DNG. Play more tempo/push the ball and take our lumps with Ames (can we really turn the ball over that much more) and get some cheap points. If we must have two bigs, play DNG in tandem with Colbert primarily with McNair truly functioning as a way to give the other two rest on the bench.

Lots of teams trotting out 3-4 guard lineups these days and it's not like McNair is a force in the rebounding/defense department, so I question how much we'll lose if his minutes are cut by 10-15 per game. With that lineup we can also more easily switch on defense.

Bonus - Ames either develops or doesn't and we have better insight as to what to do when Castillo arrives on campus next year.

I don't disagree that we should move some folks around, just to see what happens if nothing else.  However, I think our current line up would be better if we just actually played the 5-wide we set up in all the time.  Actually move the ball.

KU is almost always excellent for 2 reasons:
1. They get cream crop kids
2. They move the rough ridin' ball at lightspeed around the arc.  We pass once, kid looks around, maybe dribbles or fakes once or twice, then they pass to a kid that is just standing in place and not moving toward the ball or basket, and we wonder why we never get open looks or good drives.  KU swings the ball several passes fast as eff and the D has no hope of adjusting in time for complete coverage.  We dribble around for 15 seconds before we do anything nearly every trip down.  Tang isn't stupid.  He is obviously doing so intentionally and that pretty much has to be to waste time within each game since he knows our ability to score is going to be far less than almost all of our opponents.

Maybe this is our adjustment.  Maybe this is the best plan.  If that is the case, pretty much every practice should be a hard session of defensive drills and how to stop creating turnovers. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2024, 01:56:35 PM »

Bench McNair (and give him the 10ish minutes per game he was always supposed to get) and the primary lineup is Ames, Perry, Cam, AK and DNG. Play more tempo/push the ball and take our lumps with Ames (can we really turn the ball over that much more) and get some cheap points. If we must have two bigs, play DNG in tandem with Colbert primarily with McNair truly functioning as a way to give the other two rest on the bench.

Lots of teams trotting out 3-4 guard lineups these days and it's not like McNair is a force in the rebounding/defense department, so I question how much we'll lose if his minutes are cut by 10-15 per game. With that lineup we can also more easily switch on defense.

Bonus - Ames either develops or doesn't and we have better insight as to what to do when Castillo arrives on campus next year.

OU had a stretch in the first half where they were playing 4 guards and N'Guessan had to guard Oweh. I love David, I think he's versatile and still very underrated. That being said, having him guard someone as skilled as Oweh stretches probability.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2024, 02:02:08 PM »
If you take Nowell or Johnson off last years team, are they better or worse than this years?

I want to say they’re pretty similar. Like 99% of teams are screwed without their best  player This is a lost season just develop the young dudes. I think it’s an accomplishment that we even have a sliver of a shot at the tourney with this janky roster

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2024, 02:14:45 PM »
This is not a lost season
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2024, 02:33:55 PM »

Agree. 

Honestly, if we can cut our turnovers to an acceptable level, we can still do quite well, imo.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2024, 03:01:04 PM »
An outside perspective, but I've been impressed by the cats thus far. Definitely shouldn't be considered a lost or discarded season.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2024, 03:17:58 PM »

I don't disagree that we should move some folks around, just to see what happens if nothing else.  However, I think our current line up would be better if we just actually played the 5-wide we set up in all the time.  Actually move the ball.

KU is almost always excellent for 2 reasons:
1. They get cream crop kids
2. They move the rough ridin' ball at lightspeed around the arc.  We pass once, kid looks around, maybe dribbles or fakes once or twice, then they pass to a kid that is just standing in place and not moving toward the ball or basket, and we wonder why we never get open looks or good drives.  KU swings the ball several passes fast as eff and the D has no hope of adjusting in time for complete coverage.  We dribble around for 15 seconds before we do anything nearly every trip down.  Tang isn't stupid.  He is obviously doing so intentionally and that pretty much has to be to waste time within each game since he knows our ability to score is going to be far less than almost all of our opponents.

Maybe this is our adjustment.  Maybe this is the best plan.  If that is the case, pretty much every practice should be a hard session of defensive drills and how to stop creating turnovers.

That is a fair given, esp the turnovers.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2024, 04:19:08 PM »
@mikec2w

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2024, 04:35:57 PM »

At least we don't suck as bad as when the Cats lost by 41 to the UMKC Kangaroos.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2024, 04:49:33 PM »
What is going on with Buddy Rich? Pretty sure he didn’t see the floor last night. Hope he isn’t portalling out.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2024, 06:02:22 PM »
I would venture to guess he isn't doing what Tang wants him to do in practice

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2024, 09:06:48 PM »
Glad you guys are still so bullish on these cats. I hope I'm wrong here, but I think they just won games against inferior competition, the one exception being when they pulled a rabbit out of their hat against Baylor. As soon as we started playing good teams it's been a crap show. We lose at Gallagher Iba and we might be staring down the barrel of a 1 win month of February

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2024, 11:53:30 AM »
Glad you guys are still so bullish on these cats. I hope I'm wrong here, but I think they just won games against inferior competition, the one exception being when they pulled a rabbit out of their hat against Baylor. As soon as we started playing good teams it's been a crap show. We lose at Gallagher Iba and we might be staring down the barrel of a 1 win month of February

Crazier things have happened, but that seems extremely unlikely given our play this year.  Baylor isn't the only good team we have beaten this year.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2024, 11:58:18 AM »

Not sure what the definition of a lost season is, but it's definitely an NIT season.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2024, 01:03:33 PM »
We are currently 1-4 in Q1 games - ammo for the people who say Baylor is our only truly good win.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2024, 02:04:22 PM »
I guess I'm in an early stage of grief than the rest of you because I still think we make the tourney

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2024, 04:49:36 PM »
I’m prob in the minority in that this team has seemed like an NIT-side bubble team all year, and especially without Tomlin and Glover. That being the case, the early expectation exceeding returns this conference season and the thought that we may actually be an NCAA team are/were gravy. Thus no reason to be real bent out of shape during the recent struggles.

Don’t get me wrong, OU loss was really bad, and we’re definitely reeling a bit.

We were probably a 70/30 NCAA/NIT team with Tomlin and Glover. Without them probably 40/60 at best and now probably really more like 30/70 or worse.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2024, 05:04:12 PM »
Fire everybody and rebuild the whole team IMO
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2024, 05:13:58 PM »
Was just thinking today how big it would have been to hold on to Ish.

If Ish and Tomlin were both here, we would be a completely different team. 

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2024, 05:58:05 PM »
Ish couldn't get his own shot either, not sure what that would have accomplished.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2024, 07:37:10 PM »
Ish couldn't get his own shot either, not sure what that would have accomplished.

Clutch 3s when it really counted

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2024, 07:45:40 PM »

Setup by one Marquis Nowell.  Don't have one of those anymore unfortunately.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2024, 09:35:49 PM »

If memory serves, he didn't need much space to create his own shot. Ball was out of his hands the second the pass got to him

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2024, 09:50:54 PM »

If memory serves, he didn't need much space to create his own shot. Ball was out of his hands the second the pass got to him

I don't share this memory, in fact my memory was the exact opposite. I feel like I was frequently upset at how slow his shot was

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2024, 09:57:13 PM »
Massoud shooting/scoring highlights with the KSU Cats...

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.