Author Topic: Midwest Cheap  (Read 2354 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Midwest Cheap
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2024, 04:47:21 PM »
Paying other people to do stuff for you rules. It’s great for the economy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2024, 05:00:31 PM »
Phil bought an extra empty cup at QT for me to have at his house over Christmas. Mrs. Titola was mad at the waste of $0.32.

Does QT charge for cups? I haven't bought a pop (midwestern) in years.

I honestly don't know if they charged me. I didn't want to steal so I sat that empty cup right up there next to my plastic XL unsweetened tea. As I don't know how much those costs despite my 1000s of purchases I can't tell you what the empty cup charge is.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2024, 05:02:49 PM »
Big Rob (from texags thread fame) was recently big mad at qt raising drink prices ABOVE $2
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2024, 05:18:17 PM »

Also, It keeps me from dreading and hating weekends!

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2024, 05:19:58 PM »
Mine is a issue of doing everything myself.  The last two years have been a slow attempt at transforming to someone who pays others to perform labor.  Still, when I get a bid for a concrete slab, new kitchen lights, etc, I immediately slam myself into the thought that I could do it easily and have to wrench myself back away from that commitment of time.  Then I feel guilty about it for a long time.

This is also a rare glimpse of Midwestern pride. I CAN STILL DO MANUAL LABOR DAMMIT

We've all been there

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2024, 05:54:16 PM »
Speaking of doing crap our damn selves, how many items do you have at the store before you wait to have a cashier check you out instead of using self check out? I'd say either 20+ items or 5+ produce items. I have no interest in finding the produce item on the screen then waiting for the thing to weigh it then having the machine tell me to wait to put things in the bags even though I assure you, I waited plenty, then having to wait for a cashier to come over and confirm that there's no tomfoolery afoot and then having the aforementioned cashier be across the rough ridin' store so it takes like 20 minutes for them to come swipe their employee card for no goddamn reason.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2024, 06:02:48 PM »
If I can hold everything in mine own two hands self checkout every time. Cart or basket, someone else is dealing with that crap
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2024, 07:04:39 PM »
I'm self checkout about 75% of the time now. If I have a cart full or am getting some barley pops I'll use the cashier just because it can take forever to get someone over to the self checkout lane to check my ID even tho I'm an old.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2024, 08:07:02 PM »

The first time I hired movers was a watershed moment. It rules so hard. After that I just started making a list of “crap I don’t feel like doing” just to see if I could justify hiring someone else to deal with it. I realize ethos is basically the complete opposite of being a cheap midwesterner

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2024, 08:28:33 PM »
Speaking of doing crap our damn selves, how many items do you have at the store before you wait to have a cashier check you out instead of using self check out? I'd say either 20+ items or 5+ produce items. I have no interest in finding the produce item on the screen then waiting for the thing to weigh it then having the machine tell me to wait to put things in the bags even though I assure you, I waited plenty, then having to wait for a cashier to come over and confirm that there's no tomfoolery afoot and then having the aforementioned cashier be across the rough ridin' store so it takes like 20 minutes for them to come swipe their employee card for no goddamn reason.

depends on the produce but usually 5 max w/ 1 max produce. but depends on the line situation, really. Sometimes I'd just rather wait and have someone else do it. (old fashioned midwesterner at play, self-checkout is very new-fangled)

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2024, 08:33:21 PM »
Not me but my parents clean up on woohoo deals at Dillons. Also they wait til gift cards are quadruple fuel points, buy everything they think they'll eat at/ use next few months, and enjoy $1 off per gallon of gas in perpetuity. I don't they they've paid anywhere near full price for gas in 15+ years
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2024, 08:34:47 PM »
i like doing stuff myself rather than paying someone.  last week i was up on an extension ladder cleaning my gutters for the second time this fall.  by hand.

i’ve got four 60-70 foot oak trees in my yard and try to stay on top of the leaves but they always win.  this year, despite my best efforts, I still spent over a rack having the pros help.  next year I intend on having my own mulcher

my cheapness is i’ve stopped ordering pizza delivery to avoid fees/tips and i’ve never paid for uber eats or postmates.  feels great though walking out of pizza hut with two 1-topping pizzas for $7/each and feeding a bunch of people for under $16.  i won’t get papa johns for many reasons but mainly because they offer a large 1-topping carry out but it’s $8.99 ($2 more than the hut).

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2024, 08:47:14 PM »
You guys think gutter guards are worth it?

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2024, 08:56:08 PM »
I've inherited my father's fanaticism about getting every last bit of ketchup out of the old bottle before discarding/recycling it. Drove my mom nuts, now it has become my toxic trait.
Ketchup, mayo, shampoo.  Narrow silicone jar spatula to get every condiment bottle spotless.

Salad dressing a short of hot water and good shaking.  Blend with dressing from new bottle.

My wife said we were out of shampoo a week ago because it wasn't pumping anything. Turned it upside down and balanced it on the shower shelf.  I've washed my hair 4 times since then.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2024, 09:20:17 PM »
Only if you put them on yourself

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2024, 09:23:47 PM »
I've inherited my father's fanaticism about getting every last bit of ketchup out of the old bottle before discarding/recycling it. Drove my mom nuts, now it has become my toxic trait.
Ketchup, mayo, shampoo.  Narrow silicone jar spatula to get every condiment bottle spotless.

Salad dressing a short of hot water and good shaking.  Blend with dressing from new bottle.

My wife said we were out of shampoo a week ago because it wasn't pumping anything. Turned it upside down and balanced it on the shower shelf.  I've washed my hair 4 times since then.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
2 in 1? More like 4 in 1.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2024, 12:08:10 AM »
I used to buy gallon jugs of Milo Ice Tea at the grocery store for like $4 but then i realized I could make own at home for like 40cents.

Boil some water, put a tea bag in, then pour it in an old Milos gallon jug.

I reckon I will save maybe $150 this year!

(I understand time vs money but sometimes you have to take a stand)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 12:17:11 AM by ben ji »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2024, 07:56:42 AM »
nobody lays on their deathbed and wishes they had spent more of their life boiling water, putting a tea bag in, and pouring it in an old Milos gallon jug.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2024, 07:58:45 AM »

Best 2k I ever spent. Better than cleaning them out 8 times a years
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2024, 09:09:27 AM »

This is probably the least midwesterny idea ever posted, but SD certainly will have a much better aging process than the rest of us.
[source: my aging, cheap, & obnoxiously stubborn midwestern parents]

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2024, 09:14:09 AM »
i pay $450/month to get the house cleaned twice and every month i think of all the better things i could be spending that on/investing it in.  but then i think of the pain in the ass and time i'd have to spend to do the cleaning myself, all the saturdays spent cleaning the house, and that thought quickly passes.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2024, 09:15:29 AM »

This is probably the least midwesterny idea ever posted, but SD certainly will have a much better aging process than the rest of us.
[source: my aging, cheap, & obnoxiously stubborn midwestern parents]

Agreed.  I grew up in a house where my dad and grandpa wouldn't have ever spent time together if it wasn't for helping each other on home repair projects or deer hunting(once a year).  Said projects were considered a failure if they didn't have some super unsafe condition, that nearly killed/mamed/injured one of them, occur during the work.  They used this as LOL remembrances and it seems to be all they had to talk about.  They loved the crap out of that.  Canco that both aged much worse due to these injuries. 

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2024, 09:31:40 AM »
Cleaning out your own gutters is definitely a Midwest Cheap/stubborn/pride thing.  Plus you get those magic moments when your neighbor is also cleaning out his gutters at the same time and you make eye contact and nod to each other.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2024, 09:35:11 AM »
i pay $450/month to get the house cleaned twice and every month i think of all the better things i could be spending that on/investing it in.  but then i think of the pain in the ass and time i'd have to spend to do the cleaning myself, all the saturdays spent cleaning the house, and that thought quickly passes.
I just thought of the perfect dry January activity for you

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2024, 09:37:33 AM »
nobody lays on their deathbed and wishes they had spent more of their life boiling water, putting a tea bag in, and pouring it in an old Milos gallon jug.

true, but counterpoint: they might lay on their death bed wishing they had saved an extra $150/yr so they could go to the Lake of the Ozarks and rent a jet-ski for the day. so,