Author Topic: Midwest Cheap  (Read 2362 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Midwest Cheap
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2024, 12:57:17 PM »
I usually have a good idea of what I want at the grocery store but call audibles based on prices.  Sun Fresh in KC is pretty expensive (probably average but I think they're all expensive) but their sale items are usually really cheap.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2024, 12:58:07 PM »
I spend over budget on car and waaaay under budget on housing

maybe just change your budget? :dunno:

Why?

I really don't know why you have a budget to begin with

It's a rough guideline on how much I can spend/save and still have fun money. I definitely am not a hard budget person. Also probably not a textbook definition of budget!

And my car is paid off so super under budget rn  :Booty Shake:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2024, 01:03:31 PM »
I fill up gas at costco.  if i'm in a pinch, i will get enough gas at QT (or wherever) to get me to work and Costco (which is on my way home from work).

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2024, 01:09:25 PM »
midwest-cheap adjacent... but i am getting pretty frustrated with tipflation. Don't get me wrong i am more than happy to tip in situations where there is a quality of service aspect to it - like dining at restaurants for example - but like, when getting a scoop of ice cream. The employee has done literally the bare minimum to complete this transaction, i didn't insist it be made any special kinda way, what am i tipping for? And i realize its b/c the companies are too midwest cheap to pay their workers anywhere close to a livable wage so they just pass that on the customer, but i don't like feeling guilty for not tipping on the most minimal effort of transactions.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2024, 01:11:18 PM »
like if that's how they wanna do it i wish they would just raise their prices of their products a little bit and remove the tip line from the cc slip.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2024, 01:12:21 PM »
If you're not getting me a drink/refills.  I'm not tipping.  Ya gotta draw the line somewhere, and that's my line.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2024, 01:13:57 PM »
Most of those employees do not expect a tip on the CC. Hit $0 and move along.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2024, 01:22:21 PM »
Yeah, and unless the staff is on server wages it likely just goes to the company

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2024, 02:00:04 PM »
I used to not tip for carry out but I have been lately because I’m afraid they spit on your food if you don’t tip. I also tip if it’s one of my regular spots.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2024, 02:08:40 PM »
Yeah, and unless the staff is on server wages it likely just goes to the company

I'm fine with this if it's a local shop I like tbh. also I think my midwestern guilt overrides midwestern cheap and tipping wins. they're right there looking at you!

something similar happened to me at a halal cart in NYC when I paid with a card and got ridiculously overcharged but would rather just pay like 10 bucks to avoid a confrontation

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2024, 02:09:36 PM »
Not me but my dad

Waters down dish soap to like 1/8th of it's original strength

We have a washer and dryer at the cat ranch but he refuses to use the dryer and hangs his clothes outside even in the winter

Saves old meat in the freezer then feeds it to my mutts when they come over

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2024, 02:11:03 PM »

I'm fine with this if it's a local shop I like tbh. also I think my midwestern guilt overrides midwestern cheap and tipping wins. they're right there looking at you!

something similar happened to me at a halal cart in NYC when I paid with a card and got ridiculously overcharged but would rather just pay like 10 bucks to avoid a confrontation

Yes! I always tip at Max's and it's the owner and his wife or son doing all the work

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2024, 02:43:58 PM »
I usually have a good idea of what I want at the grocery store but call audibles based on prices.  Sun Fresh in KC is pretty expensive (probably average but I think they're all expensive) but their sale items are usually really cheap.

Sprouts does the same thing. Sometimes they have half off (sometimes more!!) on stuff at the deli. So I'll just walk by the deli and if nothing's on sale I just go across the street to Dillons. That seems to be a characteristic of stores that sell mostly local stuff. I've pondered about it a lot, and I don't know why it seems to only happen there.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2024, 02:46:40 PM »
I used to not tip for carry out but I have been lately because I’m afraid they spit on your food if you don’t tip. I also tip if it’s one of my regular spots.

I tip 15-20% on carryout if I'm ordering online and have to put in how much I'm tipping beforehand for this reason. But if someone else calls (I can't believe I used to call places to put in orders) and I'm picking up, I tip like 5-10%.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2024, 03:08:51 PM »
I’ll pick up 20 tacos from truck on my way home from work. They charge $0.25 extra per taco for cheese. I don’t get cheese & just use the cheese in my fridge to save $5.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2024, 03:15:47 PM »
Phil bought an extra empty cup at QT for me to have at his house over Christmas. Mrs. Titola was mad at the waste of $0.32.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2024, 03:19:18 PM »
If for some reason I paid cash for something and got 32 cents back I would throw it in the tip jar or trashcan, whichever is closer

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2024, 03:29:33 PM »
I used to bake a ham when it got down to $2/lb and just freeze a bunch of it rather than buy the crap in the bag for $5/lb.

I make a pretty good double smoked ham on my green egg. I do it for most holidays. Everyone loves it and the leftovers are delish. Every year, I say i'm going to buy a slicer and just smoke and make my own ham for weekly sammiches. Every year I still buy deli sliced Boarshead ham weekly at Hen House for 12.99 per lb.  :sdeek:

Tipping:

It does irritate me when I get asked to tip and they didn't even do anything other than take my money. I like to go to Einstein with my Yeti and get a cup of Joe every couple of days. Hot tip for you Midwest Cheapers, you can bring in any cup you want and its like $1.90 for a coffee. Its like $3 something if you don't have a cup. Anyhoo, they don't even get it for you, which is totally fine. I still normally give them a buck, but I always feel like a sucker after paying and tipping then walking over and getting my own coffee.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2024, 03:31:43 PM »

midwestern cheap is no match for midwestern guilt

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2024, 03:59:14 PM »

midwestern cheap is no match for midwestern guilt
can confirm

this is a really good thread

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2024, 04:06:06 PM »
Phil bought an extra empty cup at QT for me to have at his house over Christmas. Mrs. Titola was mad at the waste of $0.32.

I got a million of those stories.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2024, 04:07:01 PM »
If for some reason I paid cash for something and got 32 cents back I would throw it in the tip jar or trashcan, whichever is closer

I sit it on the closest flat surface, usually closer.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2024, 04:10:32 PM »
I realize this isn’t the thread to talk about efficiency and being logical at all and also understand that a lot of you are already acknowledging what you are doing is illogical in your own posts but FOLKS you need to value your time more. It’s your most valuable asset!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2024, 04:11:56 PM »

Does QT charge for cups? I haven't bought a pop (midwestern) in years.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2024, 04:23:02 PM »
Mine is a issue of doing everything myself.  The last two years have been a slow attempt at transforming to someone who pays others to perform labor.  Still, when I get a bid for a concrete slab, new kitchen lights, etc, I immediately slam myself into the thought that I could do it easily and have to wrench myself back away from that commitment of time.  Then I feel guilty about it for a long time.