Author Topic: appliance talk  (Read 1831 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
appliance talk
« on: November 06, 2023, 12:57:35 PM »
i'm probably going to buy a fridge, oven/stove and dishwasher in the next week or so.  anyone have any pro tips i should be thinking about before i do.

the only things i probably care about are the ice-maker and price, i think.  we're probably going to sell the house in less than five years, so i don't want to give the next owner stuff that's too good (unless it pays off in closing a sale, i guess).

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: appliance talk
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 01:04:17 PM »
Bosch for fridge and dishwasher. 800 4 drawer fridge has been amazing. One of the most affordable fridges with dual compressors.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 01:07:58 PM by Phil Titola »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 01:51:00 PM »
I got the full suite of LG stuff. I didn’t like that the bosch water/ice dispenser was inside the fridge. Was gonna get a bosch dishwasher still but supply chain mumped that all up. Been happy with the LG stuff so far. Fridge has the craft ice and regular ice, plus the window thing on the door that you knock on to see your beer. It’s a dual oven in the same space as a regular slide-in one would be.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 01:58:41 PM »
I got the full suite of LG stuff. I didn’t like that the bosch water/ice dispenser was inside the fridge. Was gonna get a bosch dishwasher still but supply chain mumped that all up. Been happy with the LG stuff so far. Fridge has the craft ice and regular ice, plus the window thing on the door that you knock on to see your beer. It’s a dual oven in the same space as a regular slide-in one would be.

the inside water thing is weird to me too. I don't use it much so I kinda like the cleaner look.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 02:01:06 PM »
My Bosch dishwasher has a tray at the top exclusively for silverware which avoids the basket taking up space on the racks.  I enjoy that and think it gives better results as well.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 02:05:19 PM »
i think i want outside ice.  but maybe that's dumb because i've got to open the fridge anyways to get the beverage regardless.  still seems like the ice should be outside for some reason.

def want it to make different sizes of ice or be able to crush it and stuff.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 02:05:52 PM »
Bosch for fridge and dishwasher. 800 4 drawer fridge has been amazing. One of the most affordable fridges with dual compressors.

why are dual compressors good?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 02:07:29 PM »
does it matter to people if all the stuff is the same brand?  i don't think i care, but if future housebuyers might look down on having a mix of brands, then maybe i should care a little.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 02:24:28 PM »

why are dual compressors good?

typical household fridge has one for the freezer then that air blows over into the fridge side (somehow I don't really understand) so dual compressor let's those sides work independently for more consistent temps. The high end ones like subzeros have dual compressors. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2023, 02:30:41 PM »
costco is where it’s at for appliances

free haul away and delivery, including set up

extended warranties

4% cash back with executive membership + costco card

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2023, 03:11:11 PM »
costco is where it’s at for appliances

free haul away and delivery, including set up

extended warranties

4% cash back with executive membership + costco card

they frequently do some sale with a $500 credit or gift card or something if you buy appliances over whatever amount.  It's a lot of spend, but if you're buying a bunch of appliances I think it makes sense

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2023, 03:13:34 PM »
typical household fridge has one for the freezer then that air blows over into the fridge side (somehow I don't really understand) so dual compressor let's those sides work independently for more consistent temps. The high end ones like subzeros have dual compressors.

oh, yeah.  that does seem better.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2023, 03:28:33 PM »
does it matter to people if all the stuff is the same brand?  i don't think i care, but if future housebuyers might look down on having a mix of brands, then maybe i should care a little.
i think it only matters when the finishes look different and those appliances are right beside each other. like even if the metal is the same color one brand might have a more shiny finish vs the other. When we remodeled our kitchen i think we were going to go w/ a samsung suite but their definition of fingerprint proof or smudge proof or w/e was laughable so we went w/ LG.

also the hot water pump in our bosch dishwasher crapped out a few months ago even though the unit was only like 4 years old at the time but i've never otherwise had a bad experience with bosch nor have i heard of others having bad experiences. it was weird tho. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
appliance talk
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2023, 07:45:09 AM »
i'm probably going to buy a fridge, oven/stove and dishwasher in the next week or so.  anyone have any pro tips i should be thinking about before i do.

the only things i probably care about are the ice-maker and price, i think.  we're probably going to sell the house in less than five years, so i don't want to give the next owner stuff that's too good (unless it pays off in closing a sale, i guess).
On dish washers, I think it’s worth it to get the really quiet ones.

You didn’t mention clothes washers, but never ever buy a front loader washer again. I made that mistake. I will soon replace my expensive front loader with a cheap as eff top loader and be blissfully happy again.  The front loaders smell bad, the regimen to keep them from smelling is arduous and ineffective.

On ovens, be sure to find out how fast it takes them to fully warm up. I have a stainless steal good looking oven Thant matched perfectly and all that, and it takes a bagillion years to warm up. Terrible.  Live and learn on that one as well.

On the stove top, many different theories by fancy cooking folks. For me, the reality was “which one is the easiest to clean.”  I bought the glass top, and glad that I did. I even cracked the corner of it, and I am still glad that I bought it.  I would have never thoroughly cleaned the other kinds.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2023, 09:11:12 AM »
My Bosch dishwasher has a tray at the top exclusively for silverware which avoids the basket taking up space on the racks.  I enjoy that and think it gives better results as well.
Our Bosch dishwasher is a beast. Best appliance I've ever purchased.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2023, 09:15:17 AM »
This entire thing belongs in the Signs of Getting Old thread.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2023, 09:18:53 AM »

Yeah, 10 years ago we'd have a respectable Arizona State is Desert Trash that ruins the image of the conference thread

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2023, 09:21:03 AM »

Yeah, 10 years ago we'd have a respectable Arizona State is Desert Trash that ruins the image of the conference thread

Is it weird I kinda got excited by that hypothetical thread title?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2023, 06:43:51 PM »

Is your LG wifi too?  We bought this fridge last summer, but it was about 1" too wide, so ended up getting an LG that has the dual ice makers but doesn't have the see-thru door/compartment.  It was a great decision because we very rarely buy ice anymore.  My wife brings home several 16lb heavy-duty bags that are zip-lock and we use them for ice bags.  Also, neither my wife or I use the wifi features, but if you use it tell me what it is good for?
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2023, 06:52:12 PM »

We have different brands but they all match.  They all have stainless steel faces and black accents.  Seem to work for us.  BTW. it all started about 5 years ago and I bought a stainless steel overhead microwave and all the other stuff was white.  I didn't know what I was getting into, that is, purchasing an appliance without the wife picking the stuff.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2023, 03:57:28 PM »
also convection ovens are kind of a game changer

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2023, 03:59:25 PM »
Built in air fry for your range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2023, 04:17:09 PM »
Sys, get an induction cook top.  They're great.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2023, 11:57:34 PM »

we already have gas piped in to the kitchen, so we're gonna stick with that.  also my wife likes to have a flame for some stuff (chiles mostly).

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2023, 06:01:47 AM »

we already have gas piped in to the kitchen, so we're gonna stick with that.  also my wife likes to have a flame for some stuff (chiles mostly).
I was told that Joe Biden canceled gas stoves so better have plan b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk