Author Topic: JEOPARDY! (Greatest Televised Trivia Show ever) Master Thread!  (Read 1608 times)

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
Hello all!! Tonight is the start of the first ever Jeopardy Masters Tournament! I think it's a super strong line-up and I am looking forward to it.

First off, I love Jeopardy, it has always been a fun way to test knowledge or most of all learn new things.

I hope Mattea and James do well in the tournament and hope to talk with the EMAW Elites about this exciting tournament.

As always RIP ALEX TREBEK!

LET'S GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD!

https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1655594031882043394?s=20

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 01:21:46 PM by GregKSU1027 »
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: JEOPARDY! (Greatest Televised Trivia Show ever) Master Thread!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 11:37:57 AM »
I'm a very good home jeopardy player

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 12:00:41 PM »
Best jeopardy series ever

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 01:21:09 PM »
Jeopardy is great. RIP Alex Trebec. Who is the new host?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 01:29:46 PM »

Blossom

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 01:39:40 PM »

Blossom
Its on rotation during regular play between Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik. Mayim hosted the college tournament and now Ken is hosting the Master's Tournament.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 02:22:53 PM »

Blossom
Its on rotation during regular play between Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik. Mayim hosted the college tournament and now Ken is hosting the Master's Tournament.
:thumbs:

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 03:15:59 PM »
I used to watch Jeopardy almost every night and got really good at it. Probably could have made a run, but I haven't watched it in a long time now.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 03:51:29 PM »
I used to watch Jeopardy almost every night and got really good at it. Probably could have made a run, but I haven't watched it in a long time now.
I have watched it every night for about 3ish years now and you certainly get alot better at when you train your mind to think like the clues.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2023, 04:15:30 PM »
I watch it a ton and am very smart and I would do terribly on the show

literature kills me

also I feel bad but I don't like Bialik as the host. She has weird pauses and awkward laughs all the time. Ken is a natural

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2023, 04:17:49 PM »
about a year ago i was doing a preso for work and at the end i had set up a Jeopardy! style trivia game and somehow i ended up on the Jeopardy! webbed site and i guess there's a quiz you have to take and pass to even apply to be a contestant on Jeopardy! You have to like create an account and its a whole thing. At the time there was a problem w/ the site b/c i could not get the actual test to load, only the practice test. and yes i tried opening it in like all the different possible browsers. Have not been back to see if they fixed it. maybe i'll do that this day

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2023, 04:47:14 AM »
We watch Jeopardy as a family, every day, and have for years. I hope Amy wrecks them in the masters tournament.

Mayim is a terrible host, which is unfortunate. She drives me crazy. The pauses before she tells the contestants they are correct when answering a daily double, is brutal. Not sure if you all watched the regular show today but her non acceptance of how the champion pronounced Solzhenitsyn made me want to throw my phone at my television. The current champion, Hannah Wilson, has the look of the second transgender super champion in a year and a half, she's really good and I think she'll win this season's TOC.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2023, 06:24:08 AM »
Is Mattea Roach in this? I want her to win

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2023, 08:51:57 AM »
I watch it a ton and am very smart and I would do terribly on the show

literature kills me

also I feel bad but I don't like Bialik as the host. She has weird pauses and awkward laughs all the time. Ken is a natural
We watch Jeopardy as a family, every day, and have for years. I hope Amy wrecks them in the masters tournament.

Mayim is a terrible host, which is unfortunate. She drives me crazy. The pauses before she tells the contestants they are correct when answering a daily double, is brutal. Not sure if you all watched the regular show today but her non acceptance of how the champion pronounced Solzhenitsyn made me want to throw my phone at my television. The current champion, Hannah Wilson, has the look of the second transgender super champion in a year and a half, she's really good and I think she'll win this season's TOC.

agree on Blossom, and Ken

Also agree on Literature being the worst followed by art, although taking Art History at kstate gets me surprisingly good guesses at a lot of stuff.

It's definitely a thing you've got to watch constantly to get good at, like crossword puzzles.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2023, 09:03:11 AM »

I would watch Jeopardy when I would get off the bus with my mom as we would get home around the same time before I got involved in sports. I recently restarted watching since I got cable back. I think Hannah is very good. I think that she also has a great shot at the TOC but still a lot of competition left. She is on a 4 day streak!

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2023, 10:46:12 AM »

she was on last night but came in 3rd and got 0 points.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2023, 10:54:28 AM »

Is Amy Schneider on?  Chris Pannulo?  Matt Amodio?  Some really good super champs in the last 18 months or so.

I haven't habitually watched it in a few months.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2023, 12:42:38 PM »

Is Amy Schneider on?  Chris Pannulo?  Matt Amodio?  Some really good super champs in the last 18 months or so.

the 6 contestants are James Holzhauer, Amy Schneider, Matt Amodio, Mattea Roach, Andrew He, and Sam Buttrey.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2023, 08:49:13 PM »
former competitive jeopardy player here, ama
first thing first, the challenge isn’t knowing the question (we players all know every answer more often than not), the challenge IS mastering the timing of the buzzer. 

with that said, if chingon or saul want to “code” this site to allow for everyone here to form one super-team and turn the site into a jeopardy video game, AND challenge me to a game of jeopardy, I would destroy you all.  no disrespect but either you are a jeopardy player or you aren’t, and afaik i’m the one who is known as a jeopardy player, not you people.

thoughts?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2023, 09:01:06 PM »
I’ll take inflated ego for 400, Ken. :lol:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2023, 09:04:21 PM »
The art, ballet, and opera categories kill me.

If I was prepping for the show I would go hard on studying geography, and bone up on the aforementioned categories.

I’d just have to surrender modern literature stuff.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2023, 10:45:28 PM »

Chris will be on this season's TOC, he's not a master yet, not really a fan. I also don't like Mattea, they're both a little too quirky for me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2023, 10:48:48 PM »
first thing first, the challenge isn’t knowing the question (we players all know every answer more often than not), the challenge IS mastering the timing of the buzzer. 

with that said, if chingon or saul want to “code” this site to allow for everyone here to form one super-team and turn the site into a jeopardy video game, AND challenge me to a game of jeopardy, I would destroy you all.  no disrespect but either you are a jeopardy player or you aren’t, and afaik i’m the one who is known as a jeopardy player, not you people.

thoughts?

When I was on sports jeopardy my game was delayed because I couldn't get the timing of the buzzer right. They had to stop our warmup game to assist me. The thing is they tell you to buzz in when the lights around the board turn off but you actually need to buzz in a fraction of a second before then.

Also you would not beat me. Fun fact, I've never lost a game of trivia pursuit.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2023, 10:50:57 PM »
If y'all haven't taken the contestant test, do so, it's hard. You can take it once a year. They have practice tests as well, they're much easier than THE test though.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2023, 08:23:06 AM »

thoughts?

Also you would not beat me. Fun fact, I've never lost a game of trivia pursuit.

well let’s start by getting the name of the game correct, it’s Trivial Pursuit, not trivia.

point:  clams

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.