Author Topic: Glass ceiling  (Read 4309 times)

Offline williamthewildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Glass ceiling
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2023, 11:31:51 AM »
Seem to recall the KU pg who couldn't make FTs was Aubry Nash. Also the fast K-State pg on the 80 team was either Fred or Glen Marshall, we had pgs with both names during that era. The rumor was he got fed up sitting on the bench and watch Stankovich play and left for his home in St. Louis the night Stank got injured. Hartman got in his car and chased down the bus to bring hiim back to Manhattan.

Not certain if it was Nash, but I recall the incident pretty well. However, I’m pretty sure the game you’re thinking of was in 74. KU was really good. FF team I think. Hartman was asked about the FT situation after the game and gave a terse “no comment”. That was that. It could have been a short TV interview from Ron Paradis on Channel 13. Time is tough on the memory.

Was able to attend the 1975 game in Lawrence and they absolutely beat the brakes off the cats that game. Early on, KU was hot, and after a missed KU jumper, Chuckie Williams went high to rebound it one handed. Took his eye off the ball and, with nobody around, it slipped out of bounds. Crowd went crazy. They responded by going on a 20-0 run ( or pretty close to that). Lost 91-53.

I’m going to have to dig out old newspapers now. I might still have those. My mom was sort of an archivist. Kennedy assassination, moon landing, Pearl Harbor, SB IV… Good ol’ mom….She kept ‘em all.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2023, 11:36:25 AM »
Also been around for all eight…. Marquette and Louisville were prob two most kitn, then KU and Butler.  But for us old guys that suffered through football, Asbury, Wooldridge, Chiefs sucking… what a year!!!!   Big 12 Champions FB, SB champs Chiefs, Elite Eight Tang Gang!!!   Just hoping we can finish the job and win a natty before I croak.  My dad was there in ‘51 BB and never gave up hope.

I turn 70 in a couple of weeks....not super old but you begin to wonder, will I ever see them win the big one.  Chances like this year don't come along all that often...

The chase is where all the fun is though.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2023, 12:15:57 PM »
Also been around for all eight…. Marquette and Louisville were prob two most kitn, then KU and Butler.  But for us old guys that suffered through football, Asbury, Wooldridge, Chiefs sucking… what a year!!!!   Big 12 Champions FB, SB champs Chiefs, Elite Eight Tang Gang!!!   Just hoping we can finish the job and win a natty before I croak.  My dad was there in ‘51 BB and never gave up hope.

I turn 70 in a couple of weeks....not super old but you begin to wonder, will I ever see them win the big one.  Chances like this year don't come along all that often...

Bingo. If you can't enjoy the ride just as much then what is the point of hoping for a championship?

Our team arguably accomplished more under oscar's first year than Tang's, but I had way more fun this year, which is all that really matters as a fan.

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2023, 04:24:48 PM »

Bingo. If you can't enjoy the ride just as much then what is the point of hoping for a championship?

Our team arguably accomplished more under oscar's first year than Tang's, but I had way more fun this year, which is all that really matters as a fan.

I spent some time being mad about missing some layups and free throws and a turnover here and there, but I pretty quickly let it go. I watched more basketball this year than I have in forever. Took Lil SF to 2 games at Sprint Center this year. He got fist pounds from KJ and Coach Tang. We had a blast watching this year.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2023, 04:39:55 PM »
More dudes will get us there. The fact we were in the game with the limited minutes Johnson was able to play is amazing.

Not to mention 12 for 18 at the free throw line.  FAU claimed 6 more points at the line than we did.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2023, 04:43:22 PM »
More dudes will get us there. The fact we were in the game with the limited minutes Johnson was able to play is amazing.

Not to mention 12 for 18 at the free throw line.  FAU claimed 6 more points at the line than we did.

and quis was like 10/11 i think. so, rest of team 2 for 7. oof.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2023, 04:50:01 PM »

and quis was like 10/11 i think. so, rest of team 2 for 7. oof.

KJ missed the front end of multiple 1 and 1’s  so the loss of points is really worse than that.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2023, 05:44:27 PM »
More dudes will get us there. The fact we were in the game  h the limited minutes Johnson was able to play is amazing.
FAU isn't that good a FT shooting team, but nutted up Saturday. Johnson and Sills had a tendency to miss from the line all season, but were generally reliable late in games. Really, would rather have seen Tomlin or Bae Bae at the line than either of those two.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2023, 12:20:57 AM »
Just felt like the pieces were falling into place perfectly. Marquis was lined up for tournament POTY. Tang on the way to Naismith COTY (still possible?). Really wanted to face UT in the champ game.

I bet him +4000 to win the tournament MOP and I was feeling real good about it. We didn't even have to win the national championship for him to get that.
Ha, I did the same thing right after the Sweet Sixteen. Last guy to win MVP on a team that didn't win was Olojuwan in '83 wasn't it?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2023, 02:41:50 AM »
Just felt like the pieces were falling into place perfectly. Marquis was lined up for tournament POTY. Tang on the way to Naismith COTY (still possible?). Really wanted to face UT in the champ game.

I bet him +4000 to win the tournament MOP and I was feeling real good about it. We didn't even have to win the national championship for him to get that.
Ha, I did the same thing right after the Sweet Sixteen. Last guy to win MVP on a team that didn't win was Olojuwan in '83 wasn't it?

That's right