Author Topic: Glass ceiling  (Read 4312 times)

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
Re: Glass ceiling
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2023, 01:04:18 AM »
Just felt like the pieces were falling into place perfectly. Marquis was lined up for tournament POTY. Tang on the way to Naismith COTY (still possible?). Really wanted to face UT in the champ game.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2023, 07:50:55 AM »
Just felt like the pieces were falling into place perfectly. Marquis was lined up for tournament POTY. Tang on the way to Naismith COTY (still possible?). Really wanted to face UT in the champ game.

We had a lot of pieces. And a lovable group of guys you couldn’t help but cheer for. But the lack of rebounding was a huge problem. I’m surprised we were able to overcome it as many times as we did, but you’re just not going to cut down nets when you get out rebounded so badly. Was still a magical season and I was glad to have a reason to be excited for the cats. Had been a while

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2023, 08:22:00 AM »
It’s just a weird thing. None of the previous games have anything to do with this one

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2023, 08:27:39 AM »
Just another KITN, this one probably the worse cause things were lining up so damn well.

Oh well it's over, a great team, and a future for once
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2023, 08:28:32 AM »
What makes this one hurt is we had a legit shot to win it all since so many good teams were upset. To me it really felt like the stars were aligning. But whatever I guess. It was still a great season that exceeded expectations by a ridiculous amount.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2023, 09:20:21 AM »
What makes this one hurt is we had a legit shot to win it all since so many good teams were upset. To me it really felt like the stars were aligning. But whatever I guess. It was still a great season that exceeded expectations by a ridiculous amount.

Succinct write up of the correct way to feel about it
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2023, 09:24:02 AM »
Yep.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2023, 10:42:34 AM »

this narrative is broke
every team remaining is rough ridin' good, no one lucks their way to a national championship

the truth, regardless of whether some of you mongloids want to admit it, is that our staff had this team punching above its weight for a lot of the season.  i appreciate how much these dudes gave up to make themselves and our school look as good as they did. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2023, 10:52:56 AM »
I think against UK and MSU we looked more like we did in the first half of the season when we were just playing out of our minds. And yesterday looked more like the second half when we weren't.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2023, 11:49:36 AM »

this narrative is broke
every team remaining is rough ridin' good, no one lucks their way to a national championship

the truth, regardless of whether some of you mongloids want to admit it, is that our staff had this team punching above its weight for a lot of the season.  i appreciate how much these dudes gave up to make themselves and our school look as good as they did.
This is my take.

These games are always going to be a coin flip. And yeah, you can flip heads 7 times in a row. It’s not even remotely predictive of how the next matchup will go.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2023, 12:09:03 PM »

I bet him +4000 to win the tournament MOP and I was feeling real good about it. We didn't even have to win the national championship for him to get that.

Offline williamthewildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2023, 12:33:28 PM »
I too, have been around for all 8.

1971/1972- great team. Big 8 title winner. Beat Texas to make the EE. Lose 72-65 to Louisville in Ames.

1972/73 - Big 8 champs. Win S16 vs SW Louisiana. They had Bo Lamar. Averaged 29ppg. Guy was ****ing great. Cats eke out a 66-63 win. Then get Memphis (State). Gene Bartow was their coach. He would replace Wooden @ UCLA later in the decade. Larry Finch and (ABA/NBA) star Larry Kenon. Memphis played in the title game vs Walton and UCLA. They were unstoppable vs KSU. 92-72. 25-4. Season over. First time I was heartbroken.

1975 - Big 8 champs. Defeat Penn in the 32. Beat Boston College in the S16 to face off against Syracuse in the EE. Game tied and one of the greatest Big 8 players ever, Chuckie Williams comes down the court and drains a 28/29 footer to give the Cats the lead with 5 seconds to play. I mean it was one of those “NO, NO, NO DON’T SHOOT THAT …. **** YES I KNEW HE’D HIT THAT SHOT !!!! Syracuse inbounds, drives to the lane and hits a 12 footer that bounced 176 times on the rim then fell in to tie it. At. The. ****ing. Buzzer. Lose in OT. **** you, upstate NY.

I can't even discuss the Jerry Eaves, Louisville rim clanger.

1977- CATS vs Marquette. In OKC. Coached by Al McGuire. They had Butch Lee and Bo Ellis. They wore uniforms designed by Bo Ellis that were made to not be tucked in. Actually pretty cool stuff. Cats down three with 00:17 to play. Mike Evans puts up a jumper, misses, but Darrell Winston goes high above everybody and grabs it, lays it in and is fouled! ****yea!!!! Chance to tie with just seconds to play.

But wait - Rule 26(a) was instituted and the basket nullified but two FT’s awarded.

The original rule stated that a basket did not count if the ball was tipped in. A shot had to be ruled a "controlled shot" or a "controlled tip" to count. Usually, that meant that a rebounder had to have two-handed control of the ball. Winston controlled the ball, laid it in and was fouled. So, instead of a possible tie and OT. It was two FT’s. He made them both and Marquette held on for a 67-66 win. Marquette advanced to the FF and won it all. **** you Marquette.

Also, the rule was rescinded 12 days after the 77 title game. **** YOU NCAA.

1981- CATS beat USF then beat #1 seed Oregon State on the famous SI Cover photo of Rolando Blackmon high, high, HIGH in the air draining a baseline jumper with 2 seconds to play. (Jay Randolph on the call for NBC). Knock off Illinois in the S16 and get wasted by UNC in the EE. (Al Wood, Sam Perkins, James Worthy)
My dislike of UNC grew a lot that decade. Although I really enjoyed then when I got to watch Walter Davis. Damn, he was great.

88 - was in The Silverdome to witness it so nuff said. 

2010 - beat N Texas, BYU. S16 the incredible 2OT game vs Xavier in SLS. Then Butler. They were just was so damn tough. Had the lead late. But couldn’t hold it.

2018 - beat Kentucky in the S16 (I mean .. No biggie we whoop dat ass on the regular  :D ) And on to Loyola Chicago. And I swear this to you. Had my couch all ready. Texted friends. Life appears great. Was making a sandwich at tip-off. By the time I sat down it was 20-4 Loyola. Game was ****ing over in the first 6 minutes.

This year though, I really enjoyed the journey even though the result was rough. Let's do it again next season.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2023, 01:00:22 PM »

1971/1972- great team. Big 8 title winner. Beat Texas to make the EE. Lose 72-65 to Louisville in Ames.

1972/73 - Big 8 champs. Win S16 vs SW Louisiana. They had Bo Lamar. Averaged 29ppg. Guy was ****ing great. Cats eke out a 66-63 win. Then get Memphis (State). Gene Bartow was their coach. He would replace Wooden @ UCLA later in the decade. Larry Finch and (ABA/NBA) star Larry Kenon. Memphis played in the title game vs Walton and UCLA. They were unstoppable vs KSU. 92-72. 25-4. Season over. First time I was heartbroken.

1975 - Big 8 champs. Defeat Penn in the 32. Beat Boston College in the S16 to face off against Syracuse in the EE. Game tied and one of the greatest Big 8 players ever, Chuckie Williams comes down the court and drains a 28/29 footer to give the Cats the lead with 5 seconds to play. I mean it was one of those “NO, NO, NO DON’T SHOOT THAT …. **** YES I KNEW HE’D HIT THAT SHOT !!!! Syracuse inbounds, drives to the lane and hits a 12 footer that bounced 176 times on the rim then fell in to tie it. At. The. ****ing. Buzzer. Lose in OT. **** you, upstate NY.

1977- CATS vs Marquette. In OKC. Coached by Al McGuire. They had Butch Lee and Bo Ellis. They wore uniforms designed by Bo Ellis that were made to not be tucked in. Actually pretty cool stuff. Cats down three with 00:17 to play. Mike Evans puts up a jumper, misses, but Darrell Winston goes high above everybody and grabs it, lays it in and is fouled! ****yea!!!! Chance to tie with just seconds to play.

But wait - Rule 26(a) was instituted and the basket nullified but two FT’s awarded.

The original rule stated that a basket did not count if the ball was tipped in. A shot had to be ruled a "controlled shot" or a "controlled tip" to count. Usually, that meant that a rebounder had to have two-handed control of the ball. Winston controlled the ball, laid it in and was fouled. So, instead of a possible tie and OT. It was two FT’s. He made them both and Marquette held on for a 67-66 win. Marquette advanced to the FF and won it all. **** you Marquette.

1981- CATS beat USF then beat #1 seed Oregon State on the famous SI Cover photo of Rolando Blackmon high, high, HIGH in the air draining a baseline jumper with 2 seconds to play. (Jay Randolph on the call for NBC). Knock off Illinois in the S16 and get wasted by UNC in the EE. (Al Wood, Sam Perkins, James Worthy)
My dislike of UNC grew a lot that decade. Although I really enjoyed then when I got to watch Walter Davis. Damn, he was great.

2010 - beat N Texas, BYU. S16 the incredible 2OT game vs Xavier in SLS. Then Butler. They were just was so damn tough. Had the lead late. But couldn’t hold it.

2018 - beat Kentucky in the S16 (I mean .. No biggie we whoop dat ass on the regular  :D ) And on to Loyola Chicago. And I swear this to you. Had my couch all ready. Texted friends. Life appears great. Was making a sandwich at tip-off. By the time I sat down it was 20-4 Loyola. Game was ****ing over in the first 6 minutes.

This year though, I really enjoyed the journey even though the result was rough. Let's do it again next season.

that’s awesome. you make me feel like the casual that I am. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2023, 03:54:59 PM »

this narrative is broke

Nobody said it was going to be easy. But all variations of potential opponents are not equal in difficulty
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2023, 04:39:08 PM »
More and more the quality of the team inside the jersey will not necessarily be correlated to the Name on the front of said jersey.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2023, 05:02:15 PM »

this narrative is broke

Nobody said it was going to be easy. But all variations of potential opponents are not equal in difficulty

i get it but it’s as much about how you’re playing as who you’re playing
when playing well, the cats put up 116 on texas

to think this team, who squeaked by a 6 and a 7, had a legit shot at winning the championship is kinda aggressive imo.  we made it as far as we should have.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2023, 05:23:15 PM »

this narrative is broke

i get it but it’s as much about how you’re playing as who you’re playing
when playing well, the cats put up 116 on texas

to think this team, who squeaked by a 6 and a 7, had a legit shot at winning the championship is kinda aggressive imo.  we made it as far as we should have.
I LOVED this team. But, to pretend it wasn’t full of holes is folly. They struggled to defend the perimeter, they didn’t have a rim protector, they weren’t good at rebounding, their offense (without the ball) could get stagnant, and they often had a turnover problem.

However, they had heart, offense, playmakers, and a desire to get better in spades. They punched well above their weight. Nowell had a record breaking 4 games. It could have just as easily been a second round bounce out if he had a bad game.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2023, 06:24:58 PM »

We were Big 8 runner up to KU in 75. Lost a late year game in Lawrence for the title when Mike Evans got his nose broken. He played the tournament with an ancient padded mask Hartman got from Iba when playing football at Okie State. It might also have had It been the game Owens feigned an injury to his piss-poor shooting point guard so he didn't have to take critical FTs. We made the field because it was the first year they expanded the tournament but not yet to 64 (I think it was 48).
And don't forget the 80 2-point OT loss to eventual NC Louisville. IMO that was the best K-State of the post Winter era. Would have been seeded much higher if not for a rash of injuries that came after we'd already beat KU, MU and OU on the road. One of the injuries to Stankovich was actually a good thing because it force Hartman to play a point guard whose name I can't recall right now. 5-10 and faster the eff. Nealy would get a rebound and it was an instant fastbreak with him racing down the middle of the courty and Blackman and Tyrone Adams filling the lane.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2023, 06:30:41 PM »
More dudes will get us there. The fact we were in the game with the limited minutes Johnson was able to play is amazing.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2023, 07:11:25 PM »
I’m not generally a blame the refs type of guy, but with the proliferation of legalized sports betting, there will need to be more careful attention paid to possible tomfoolery.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2023, 07:23:32 PM »

that’s awesome. you make me feel like the casual that I am.

almost all of these sound worse than the one yesterday

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2023, 08:34:45 PM »
Yeah last night was just a close match start to finish. We’re just so accustomed to being the team that hits the clutch shots at the end.

Offline williamthewildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2023, 10:00:47 PM »

We were Big 8 runner up to KU in 75. Lost a late year game in Lawrence for the title when Mike Evans got his nose broken. He played the tournament with an ancient padded mask Hartman got from Iba when playing football at Okie State. It might also have had It been the game Owens feigned an injury to his piss-poor shooting point guard so he didn't have to take critical FTs. We made the field because it was the first year they expanded the tournament but not yet to 64 (I think it was 48).
And don't forget the 80 2-point OT loss to eventual NC Louisville. IMO that was the best K-State of the post Winter era. Would have been seeded much higher if not for a rash of injuries that came after we'd already beat KU, MU and OU on the road. One of the injuries to Stankovich was actually a good thing because it force Hartman to play a point guard whose name I can't recall right now. 5-10 and faster the eff. Nealy would get a rebound and it was an instant fastbreak with him racing down the middle of the courty and Blackman and Tyrone Adams filling the lane.

Oh I completely forgot about Evans getting a broken nose. That mask! And he never skipped a beat. He and Chuckie were the “missile twins”.

I think that guard was Glenn Marshall. And that was a helluva 1980 team. 

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2023, 11:04:45 PM »
Seem to recall the KU pg who couldn't make FTs was Aubry Nash. Also the fast K-State pg on the 80 team was either Fred or Glen Marshall, we had pgs with both names during that era. The rumor was he got fed up sitting on the bench and watch Stankovich play and left for his home in St. Louis the night Stank got injured. Hartman got in his car and chased down the bus to bring hiim back to Manhattan.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2023, 05:57:42 AM »
Constantly be a top 4 seed and we’ll get there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk