Author Topic: Artificial Intelligence  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Artificial Intelligence
« on: March 06, 2023, 07:44:20 PM »
Do you think something will pass the the Turing test (30% of human testers think it’s human) consistently in our lifetime?  Or put differently, do you think I’m our lifetime we will have social issues about the rights of artificial life?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Artificial Intelligence
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 08:01:14 PM »
My biggest concern about AI is the potential for like, literally nothing to be reliable evidence of anything. Like any photo, audio, video, video with audio…all of it could seem so real but it’s just uncanny deep fakes. The propaganda potential is terrifying. And like procedurally in a court of law…seems like just about anything other than DNA evidence could be argued  that it was AI generated bc there would be no means of authentication. To me this is equally as scary from the standpoint of opportunistic defense attorneys trying to create reasonable doubt, but also innocent people being framed bc of really good AI

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 08:04:00 PM »
We already have stuff passing the turing test. It's really not a good measure though to determine if something is really good. There are so many other factors in it. I think tho that we are on the cusp of something. ChatGPT was like a bomb going off and we will probably see an absolute explosion in it during the next couple of years.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 08:09:06 PM »
do you think I’m our lifetime we will have social issues about the rights of artificial life?

no.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 08:11:35 PM »
I just hope they abide by the first law of robots which is: their eyes have to turn red before they do anything evil

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 08:13:17 PM »
My biggest concern about AI is the potential for like, literally nothing to be reliable evidence of anything. Like any photo, audio, video, video with audio…all of it could seem so real but it’s just uncanny deep fakes. The propaganda potential is terrifying. And like procedurally in a court of law…seems like just about anything other than DNA evidence could be argued  that it was AI generated bc there would be no means of authentication. To me this is equally as scary from the standpoint of opportunistic defense attorneys trying to create reasonable doubt, but also innocent people being framed bc of really good AI

Some decent posits. I wonder if this will accelerate the use of blockchain mechanisms for authentication.

I've been using AI tools for years to help with legal work. ChatGPT is on a different level though, and it's a tool that has the potential to save a LOT of time, in terms of coming up with the bones of various documents. I don't believe it's close to replacing human reasoning, because we humans are fundamentally irrational. But I could easily see it generating efficiencies that obviate the need for some X number of jobs. I'm trying to be at the vanguard of utilizing it so as not to be left behind.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 08:25:15 PM »
Will we ever be able to upload our consciousness into a man made machine? Would that come before or after man made artificial sentient life?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 09:13:24 PM »

Some decent posits. I wonder if this will accelerate the use of blockchain mechanisms for authentication.

I've been using AI tools for years to help with legal work. ChatGPT is on a different level though, and it's a tool that has the potential to save a LOT of time, in terms of coming up with the bones of various documents. I don't believe it's close to replacing human reasoning, because we humans are fundamentally irrational. But I could easily see it generating efficiencies that obviate the need for some X number of jobs. I'm trying to be at the vanguard of utilizing it so as not to be left behind.

Funny you say that, as I was typing that out I was thinking they’re going to need some kind of ledger like block chain authentication that can’t be removed. Crazy to think of a video needing the same kind of provenance as a Picasso.

Also it seems like it could go a long way in terms of taking a first pass at writing briefs, provided it gets heavily proof read and edited. But I like the idea of my counsel having more time freed up to muster my vigorous defense than the tedium of brief writing and other such minutia

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 09:47:42 PM »
Currently all these things have to be authenticated by sworn testimony from someone who can attest that they’re accurate representations. Doesn’t mean forgery/fraud won’t be more common, but people will always have to stick their necks on the line for it (unless/until we’re satisfied that some new technology like blockchain does the job).

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 09:50:06 PM »
We’re all mumped. The only question is the timeline.
:adios:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 10:01:26 PM »
There is still a chance it will think we make great pets.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2023, 10:13:51 PM »
Currently all these things have to be authenticated by sworn testimony from someone who can attest that they’re accurate representations. Doesn’t mean forgery/fraud won’t be more common, but people will always have to stick their necks on the line for it (unless/until we’re satisfied that some new technology like blockchain does the job).

If only perjury was more of a deterrent.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2023, 10:25:43 PM »
I don't love it, but I also don't know how you "stop" it. I mean, development will happen by people no matter what happens, I just hope we know what we're doing (not a good feeling about it)
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2023, 08:42:58 AM »
one thing i don't think AI will be able to do: high fidelity forgery of hand writing.

Source: i have a Cricut and to see how that thing "writes" is wild.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2023, 08:47:09 AM »
Apparently BAC is the only other person in this thread besides me who has seen any of the Terminator movies.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2023, 08:48:21 AM »
That's a good point. The terminator was famously bad at forging signatures.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2023, 09:09:45 AM »

In the original script the terminator was supposed to be able to forge handwriting perfectly but Arnold is like, notoriously bad at forging handwriting so they had to re-write the script midflight b/c they had too much of the film already "in the can" to justify re-shooting with Lou Ferrigno as the Terminator (very good at forging handwriting).

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2023, 09:17:40 AM »
Mankind is just one iteration of sentient being creating a self-perpetuating artificially intelligent being which continues the cycle throughout time  :peek:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2023, 08:48:31 PM »

In the original script the terminator was supposed to be able to forge handwriting perfectly but Arnold is like, notoriously bad at forging handwriting so they had to re-write the script midflight b/c they had too much of the film already "in the can" to justify re-shooting with Lou Ferrigno as the Terminator (very good at forging handwriting).
Good work here, everyone.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2023, 08:49:06 PM »
Mankind is just one iteration of sentient being creating a self-perpetuating artificially intelligent being which continues the cycle throughout time  :peek:
OR ARE WE?!?!?

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2023, 06:04:30 PM »

I'm just here to appreciate the elite Perry Farrell reference.  Nicely done.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2023, 07:17:50 PM »

It means a lot that you noticed!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2023, 07:44:36 AM »

Was that what they were talking about?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2023, 03:06:03 PM »

Was that what they were talking about?
Aliens, but AI works too

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2023, 10:44:04 AM »
I’ve been listening to Lex Fridman podcasts about AI, and I have a couple more to listen to in order to round out the view points on this, but at this moment I think the best case scenario is the following:

1. Everyone is able to gain access to a personal AI (e.g one one your phone/earbuds/augmented reality glasses/etc), and there is no centralized single AI for everyone.

2. The average IQ of humans is boosted 20 - 40 points when they have access to an AI.

3. Violent crime is significantly lower in populations of higher IQ, and we realize those benefits

4. Jobs are not taken by AI.  Jobs are taken by people with AI.

5.  Terrorists with AI are stopped by good guys with with AI.

The worst case scenario is probably:

1. Centralized AI controlled by a government party. Social scoring and civil compliance is monitored by the AI.  This is bad if you are someone who deviates from the average, such as LGBTQ or a different religion from the sanctioned version.  If you are in alignment with the values of the organization who trains and aligns the AI, you could be quite content, however.

2.  Rouge States and bad actors use AI to engineer bio weapons and deploy them against rivals.  They also use AI to break encryption to steal wealth and disrupt markets.

3.  While AI may result in job growth in the long run, many could be the victims of transient unemployment as jobs are eliminated in the “laptop” class and they need to retrain or find lower wage work as laborers.

4. Possible elimination/massive reduction of the middle class, but also possible lifting of the lowest class.