Author Topic: Extend Jerome Tang (pit attempt)  (Read 3317 times)

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Extend Jerome Tang (pit attempt)
« on: January 13, 2023, 01:14:08 AM »
anyone else turned off by his constant jesus talk? i guess our hayseed fans eat it up.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Extend Jerome Tang (pit attempt)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 04:50:11 AM »
anyone else turned off by his constant jesus talk? i guess our hayseed fans eat it up.

I'm pretty sure I've said I'm not crazy about it but there are plenty of worse traits a coach can have. I'd honestly be curious how Massoud feels about it.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 08:01:31 AM »

I'm pretty sure I've said I'm not crazy about it but there are plenty of worse traits a coach can have. I'd honestly be curious how Massoud feels about it.

Yeah, would be curious but also like, depends on how Tang uses that talk right? If it's "I thank God/Jesus for this opportunity" hits different than "Only in God/Jesus you will find salvation and the hoop." Trying to be impartial about it but I general don't let that crap bother me and i don't like it when a lot of Christians do that, it depends if they use it more in their own thinking vs imposing it on others.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 08:12:53 AM »

Yeah, would be curious but also like, depends on how Tang uses that talk right? If it's "I thank God/Jesus for this opportunity" hits different than "Only in God/Jesus you will find salvation and the hoop." Trying to be impartial about it but I general don't let that crap bother me and i don't like it when a lot of Christians do that, it depends if they use it more in their own thinking vs imposing it on others.

agree, as long as he's not imposing his faith on others (or at least those who aren't asking for it) is not cool, but it doesn't seem like he's insisting on his players also buying in on that. The only other instance i find super jesus-y athletes/coaches annoying is when they are 100% jesus take the wheel, like they will not accept praise for anything themselves...they are physically incapable of coming up with an intelligent thought or having an ounce of physical ability, they are just a vessle of jesus christ and its all thanks to jesus so whatever happens that must be what jesus wants i guess. tim tebow comes to mind as one of those people but he's not on an island by himself.

aside from that, who cares? there are a lot worse things in this world than people who are not shy about their faith. seems like a weird thing to get hung up on imho.

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 08:24:56 AM »

No.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 08:29:36 AM »
Imo, the way Tang walks his faith is one of his most endearing qualities, and a major contributing factor to him being the man/coach that he is.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 09:31:35 AM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 08:47:50 AM »
I'd rather hear him talk about Jesus than Sesame Street

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 09:04:26 AM »

:lol:

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2023, 09:10:48 AM »
Jesus talk! :curse:

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2023, 09:20:22 AM »

agree, as long as he's not imposing his faith on others (or at least those who aren't asking for it) is not cool, but it doesn't seem like he's insisting on his players also buying in on that. The only other instance i find super jesus-y athletes/coaches annoying is when they are 100% jesus take the wheel, like they will not accept praise for anything themselves...they are physically incapable of coming up with an intelligent thought or having an ounce of physical ability, they are just a vessle of jesus christ and its all thanks to jesus so whatever happens that must be what jesus wants i guess. tim tebow comes to mind as one of those people but he's not on an island by himself.

aside from that, who cares? there are a lot worse things in this world than people who are not shy about their faith. seems like a weird thing to get hung up on imho.
Seek help

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 09:25:51 AM »

I think it's great. He seems to genuinely believe it and apply it to his own life, and that translates to success on the court and on the recruiting trail.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 09:36:52 AM »
Tang is a passionate guy who speaks what's on his heart, and his faith is a big part of that. I haven't heard a single thing about him weaponizing his faith against others, so I don't understand why it would warrant any criticism.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2023, 09:39:01 AM »
Smart move by sending this to the Pit. We don't need our weirdo fans scaring him off.  :facepalm:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2023, 09:39:48 AM »
Imo, the way Tang walks faith is one of his best qualities, and a major contributing factor to him being the man/coach that he is.

Agreed. When listening to him I get the impression that his faith is limited to just that, his faith. I know we don't see many examples of it from public figures, but there are Christians that have convictions in their beliefs without proselytizing.

I'm sure Massoud is fine if Tang isn't shoving his views on him. For the record I'm pretty sure that Nowell is also Muslim
https://twitter.com/SelfMadeCapo/status/1611902485634891776

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2023, 09:49:45 AM »
Imo, the way Tang walks faith is one of his best qualities, and a major contributing factor to him being the man/coach that he is.

Agreed. When listening to him I get the impression that his faith is limited to just that, his faith. I know we don't see many examples of it from public figures, but there are Christians that have convictions in their beliefs without proselytizing.

I'm sure Massoud is fine if Tang isn't shoving his views on him. For the record I'm pretty sure that Nowell is also Muslim

There was an IG post of Nowell at a christian church the day after the Baylor game, something about getting up early even though they got in late for it

As for Massoud/other non-Christians, I can see the very frequent prayer/preaching could make them feel like outsiders. It doesn't seem like that is the case with Massoud at all, but I'd still love to know what he thinks about it.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2023, 09:50:40 AM »
Stop pit'ing up the basketball board, dorks.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 09:54:02 AM »
I am a challenged Christian who believes to each their own.  Having lived in the South for a long time and dealt with the, "hey my wife and I would like to invite you and your wife over for dinner . . . .(the unsaid part of the invitation) where we're going to ask you to come to our church and then when you politely decline we're going to treat you like Godless heathens and no longer associate with you anymore" . . . as long as Coach Tang isn't that kind of "Christian" I'm good with it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2023, 10:17:36 AM »

There was an IG post of Nowell at a christian church the day after the Baylor game, something about getting up early even though they got in late for it

As for Massoud/other non-Christians, I can see the very frequent prayer/preaching could make them feel like outsiders. It doesn't seem like that is the case with Massoud at all, but I'd still love to know what he thinks about it.

Didn't know about Nowell, thanks for that. Tell me more about the frequent prayer though, I haven't seen evidence of that either.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2023, 10:30:29 AM »

Didn't know about Nowell, thanks for that. Tell me more about the frequent prayer though, I haven't seen evidence of that either.

vibes I've gotten from instagram make me think it's more than usual. Granted it was Baylor but I saw a coach share an IG story of a BU fan being so happy that an opposing team joined in the postgame prayer after we kicked the crap out of them, like it doesn't normally happen that the other team joins in. (But it could have just been someone being happy to see Tang leading it, IDK)

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2023, 10:32:11 AM »
Who cares, weirdos.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2023, 10:36:53 AM »
Who cares, weirdos.

your boy stunted, apparently

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2023, 10:43:07 AM »
He's trolling you dumbasses. He doesn't gaf. lol

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2023, 10:43:46 AM »
Libs literally have to take issue with everything. What a sad existence.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2023, 11:16:36 AM »
He's trolling you dumbasses. He doesn't gaf. lol
You’re doing a super job of ignoring him

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2023, 11:18:48 AM »
I'm making fun of the usual woke libs who can't get out of their own way and are whining about it. They can't help themselves. Everything has to be politically correct for them to breath in life.