Author Topic: dumb things about illionois  (Read 18023 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: dumb things about illionois
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2023, 11:59:22 AM »
I've said this before but I've evolved on Frank over time/age/experience. I totally accepted and excused the way he behaved, but you don't need to behave like him to get players to play hard and it's really insulting to your players to think you do. Berating/verbally abusing/screaming has no place in teaching or improving the lives of kids.

(college basketball players are kids)

I think having kids has put it in perspective for me more than anything. It’s a natural progression. That said, I do believe Frank genuinely cares about his players, and did back then as well.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2023, 12:14:23 PM »
He better start winning again. Usually can only act like such an bad person if you're winning.

You know what? Guys who are winning in the sport now don't act like that. Self, the now retired Jay Wright, Drew, Few, Bennett.

This Bobby Knight bullshit is a dead model, no one does this crap anymore. I was watching UMass last night and Frank wasn't even on camera acting like this. He was on Jim Rome's podcast last week justifying "coaching hard" but frankly, he isn't winning anymore either. Huggins doesn't even have tantrums like Brad seems to have every damn game.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2023, 12:36:43 PM »
Self behaves like that but not very often. At least he used to.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2023, 12:45:51 PM »

He raises his voice, he doesn't have temper tantrums. The yelling aside, I don't know how anyone could respect a grown man completely losing control of his emotions the way that Brad does. The few times self gets red faced, it always seems somewhat calculated to me.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2023, 01:00:03 PM »

He raises his voice, he doesn't have temper tantrums. The yelling aside, I don't know how anyone could respect a grown man completely losing control of his emotions the way that Brad does. The few times self gets red faced, it always seems somewhat calculated to me.
ya I was going to say the same thing, when self does it, it’s more contrived

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2023, 01:00:37 PM »
I don't know if that's better???

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2023, 01:15:49 PM »
He's not throwing temper tantrums like my 3 year old does, it's absolutely better.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2023, 01:19:00 PM »

Sometimes in baseball the skipper marches out of the dugout knowing goshdarn well he’s going to get himself tossed. The getting riled up gives them the opportunity to express the frustration to the umps the players are not allowed to do, and lets his players know he thinks whatever happened is horse manure. Sometimes it works and rallies the troops. Part of the game IMHO

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2023, 01:23:25 PM »

Sometimes in baseball the skipper marches out of the dugout knowing goshdarn well he’s going to get himself tossed. The getting riled up gives them the opportunity to express the frustration to the umps the players are not allowed to do, and lets his players know he thinks whatever happened is horse manure. Sometimes it works and rallies the troops. Part of the game IMHO

I was gonna say. Usually this is directed at the refs. Self will try to secure a T sometimes in the hopes of defibrillating his squad. Doesn't always work, but it usually does. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2023, 01:25:35 PM »
He's not throwing temper tantrums like my 3 year old does, it's absolutely better.

Yeah I'm just thinking of a guy I worked with who would scream at members of his team all the time but was nothing but nice to me. To me it seemed more sadistic because he could not be a complete bad person when he didn't want to, while a guy with a temper just has a temper. But I can see it both ways.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2023, 01:32:49 PM »
There are times when it is appropriate for a coach/father figure to show righteous anger, and even give admonishment. I think what is being said and why is of upmost importance in this regard. If you’re going to go off, it should be rare and almost directed at the group. It’s almost never appropriate to single put on players individually in public like that.

A non-demonstrative coach can be just vile and hurtful as a blowhard.

Tang was visibly irate at our bench Tuesday night near the end when our guys started giving the horns down, and rightfully so.

In the end, if you have to consistently make a spectacle of blowing up on players, calling out players behind their backs, it shows that generally, you as a coach, haven’t appropriately prepared them for the game.

I’d say routinely blowing up on refs falls into the same category.

Throwing kids under the bus in a press conference is especially self-serving and immature imo.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2023, 03:36:31 PM »
I've said this before but I've evolved on Frank over time/age/experience. I totally accepted and excused the way he behaved, but you don't need to behave like him to get players to play hard and it's really insulting to your players to think you do. Berating/verbally abusing/screaming has no place in teaching or improving the lives of kids.

(college basketball players are kids)
After therapy and an additional 10 years of being a parent (seeing how useless/harmful it is to dump displays anger on my kids) I could not agree more.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2023, 03:54:33 PM »
My age is showing because I didn't like Frank's style when he was here. Winning was cool but never liked the yelling.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2023, 06:13:19 PM »
He better start winning again. Usually can only act like such an bad person if you're winning.

You know what? Guys who are winning in the sport now don't act like that. Self, the now retired Jay Wright, Drew, Few, Bennett.

This Bobby Knight bullshit is a dead model, no one does this crap anymore. I was watching UMass last night and Frank wasn't even on camera acting like this. He was on Jim Rome's podcast last week justifying "coaching hard" but frankly, he isn't winning anymore either. Huggins doesn't even have tantrums like Brad seems to have every damn game.
Chris Beard went to a title game and has Texas in the top- oh wait and coaches as angry as any- um, yeah ok

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2023, 08:09:54 PM »

Chris Beard went to a title game and has Texas in the top- oh wait and coaches as angry as any- um, yeah ok

Skipper, I'm legit confused here. Apologies.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2023, 08:20:12 PM »

Skipper, I'm legit confused here. Apologies.
beard, while winning, had his share of outbursts

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2023, 08:25:06 PM »
just a clumsy post trying to agree that the Knight style of coaching is over. 

I grew up with that style coaching and will always love Frank Huggs and appreciate Underwood but the world has changed.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2023, 11:46:29 PM »
just a clumsy post trying to agree that the Knight style of coaching is over. 

I grew up with that style coaching and will always love Frank Huggs and appreciate Underwood but the world has changed.

:thumbs: thanks bro

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2023, 06:40:51 AM »
Hey guys!  Just wanted to say great work itt.  I completely agree.  Behavior like that is demeaning to the student athletes and embrassing to the university.  I've never had any respect for an adult who thinks it's okay to behave in a way that society wouldn't accept from a toddler.  Massive disappointment. 

Had only really paid attention to the results of the games the past two years without really watching any games outside the NCAA tournament.  Clueless as to the depths of #notourguy brad's clownery.  Oh well, so much for renewed basketball fandom.  Once you've dropped it enough times for years at time it really becomes meaningless any way.  C’est la vie.

Nice to see the go purples rubbed their slick tang all over those cow people.  #fightonstatehoopsketcats #fuckyea

:ksu:
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2023, 06:46:08 AM »
Apparently I don't know how to spell embarrassing.  Who the eff knew it had an extra r?  rough ridin' nobody.  Possible cyber op.  I'll keep you guys apprised of my findings. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2023, 06:51:03 AM »
if it’s not a cyber op, then color this unbiased observer disappointed

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 07, 2023, 07:01:09 AM »
Nfw

https://twitter.com/CoachUnderwood/status/1611505521596719105

Gawt damn!  Brad is really doing it. 

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 07, 2023, 07:08:39 AM »
You know what this statement needs? Some giant quote marks at the top.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 07, 2023, 07:13:01 AM »
Yeah when your top rated freshman abandons the team 3 games into the conference season, you have GOT to do it up. 

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2023, 07:15:14 AM »
Also scream and cuss directly into his face at every opportunity and then later be super supportive via a tweet.  This is the way boys, this is the way.  You'd best be taking notes, because this broadly applicable.