Author Topic: WE LOVE OUR NEW NON-oscar WEBER COACH!!!  (Read 8046 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: WE LOVE OUR NEW NON-oscar WEBER COACH!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2022, 10:27:33 AM »
Love the enthusiasm Peter, but I think I still don't care. Maybe I'm just trying to keep expectations low.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2022, 10:54:25 AM »
I'm glad there is a search firm involved, but I just wonder if Gene will use them.  No one on earth can convince me that the search firm just coincidentally came up with the name Chris Kleinman and it just happened to be Gene's old buddy from North Dakota.  I'm fine with Kleinman, too, but we did we need to pay a big chunk of money to a firm just rubber stamp it?  I suppose they probably did some background checks and asked a few questions about coeds and stuff.  Oh well.
CK wasn’t even the first choice (although in hindsight, the initial choice of LittreLL isn’t exactly a shining endorsement either).

Knowing absolutely nothing about the process, my hope is that these search firms are mainly used for diligence like you’re suggesting, and to come up with a list of lesser known up and comers in the event the primary targets fall through.

yeah, it seems like these places get millions to look for old tweets and even then they seem to forget to do that sometimes. Good gig if you can get it I guess. :dunno:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2022, 11:00:28 AM »
I'm glad there is a search firm involved, but I just wonder if Gene will use them.  No one on earth can convince me that the search firm just coincidentally came up with the name Chris Kleinman and it just happened to be Gene's old buddy from North Dakota.  I'm fine with Kleinman, too, but we did we need to pay a big chunk of money to a firm just rubber stamp it?  I suppose they probably did some background checks and asked a few questions about coeds and stuff.  Oh well.
CK wasn’t even the first choice (although in hindsight, the initial choice of LittreLL isn’t exactly a shining endorsement either).

Knowing absolutely nothing about the process, my hope is that these search firms are mainly used for diligence like you’re suggesting, and to come up with a list of lesser known up and comers in the event the primary targets fall through.

It was discovered later that the LittreLL rumors were largely planted by his agent. He didn't progress any further than Neil Brown and Mike Norvell.
i=1000539874273

I thought Blackcats had some insider information that his contract was in the works before terms stalled.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2022, 11:31:45 AM »
I still am on board with Klieman. I'm not real optimistic about this hire. Just a gut feel. If Gene can lure Brad, even if Brad eventually failed, I will forever love Gene. Would be a total stud boss move.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2022, 11:34:18 AM »
I still am on board with Klieman. I'm not real optimistic about this hire. Just a gut feel. If Gene can lure Brad, even if Brad eventually failed, I will forever love Gene. Would be a total stud boss move.

Very BDE to pull that move off.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2022, 11:54:14 AM »

It was discovered later that the LittreLL rumors were largely planted by his agent. He didn't progress any further than Neil Brown and Mike Norvell.
i=1000539874273

I thought Blackcats had some insider information that his contract was in the works before terms stalled.

Yeah, that was out there, but that was bad info planted by his agent.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2022, 12:30:25 PM »

I believe the search firm really isn't to 'find' coaching candidates, as most competent ADs already know who they have interest in. The firm is more to look for any 'skeletons in the closet' and protect the university from that kind of situation (IE Les Miles).

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2022, 12:48:04 PM »
I always assumed that hiring Gene meant we'd automatically be hiring CK. So, LittreLL news was a huge shock to me. When it "fell through" I wondered if maybe Gene did some big brain head fake in order to give the appearance of an actual search.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2022, 01:58:46 PM »
Nah, he did his due diligence and LittreLL got a little bit of attention for the first time and it led to his agent tripping on his dick while trying to make his client seem like a hot name for other jobs.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
WE LOVE OUR NEW NON-oscar WEBER COACH!!!
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2022, 02:13:39 PM »
Very interesting stuff. Thanks for that.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2022, 02:22:04 PM »
Ask yourself this. Has the mustang ever let us down? You and I both know the answer.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2022, 08:32:39 PM »
That oscar extension looks pretty awful.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2022, 08:40:16 PM »

You can blame that on ol’ soft heart Carl Ice. The Mustang knows when to stick … and to move!
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2022, 10:14:43 PM »

The extension that allowed him to win another Big 12 championship, or the one that lowered his salary and buyout?

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2022, 01:33:33 PM »

The extension that allowed him to win another Big 12 championship, or the one that lowered his salary and buyout?

I was under the impression that the second extension you are referring to costed us more money in the end that it would have if we had fired him at that time.  Maybe I am calculating wrong? :dunno:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2022, 01:55:43 PM »

I was under the impression that the second extension you are referring to costed us more money in the end that it would have if we had fired him at that time.  Maybe I am calculating wrong? :dunno:

To be clear, is it your contention is that he get fired one year removed from winning the Big 12 and two years removed from going to the elite 8? Is that your not at all insane but perfectly rational opinion?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2022, 02:35:52 PM »

The search firm (also friends of Gene who have wined and dined him multiple occasions) was hired to provide cover for Gene hiring his buddy.  As you say there is negative infinity chance they independently found CK was best national candidate.  And Ck has been fine.  Prince was fine.  CK's recruiting is shet though and we will see how long he has.  I suspect when Gene is ready to take his massive retirement he gets CK a massive Kstate check and they both have a nice chuckle.

But the search firm is well known and established so eventually if they just rubber stamp ham faced farmer's buddies they will lose credibility.  I don't think Gene has a basketball bro with credentials as respectable as CK had coming in.

If they hire the NDSU coach then Turnkey should not be paid

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2022, 02:46:04 PM »
If they hire David Richman I'll leave this board, never post again.

If you're worried about Gene hiring one of "his buddies" Richman isn't the name you should be worried about. Tell whomever your sources are that Gene Taylor had been at Iowa for a full year when Richman was hired. Maybe go back and ask them what basketball coach Gene hired at NDSU then use that name to spread false panic, he's currently a D1 head coach.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2022, 02:55:00 PM »
If they hire David Richman I'll leave this board, never post again.

If you're worried about Gene hiring one of "his buddies" Richman isn't the name you should be worried about. Tell whomever your sources are that Gene Taylor had been at Iowa for a full year when Richman was hired. Maybe go back and ask them what basketball coach Gene hired at NDSU then use that name to spread false panic, he's currently a D1 head coach.

We will see.  Like I said, Turnkey is legit and they did Gene a solid for football, I doubt they will keep doing it for such the small fish that he is.  We can expect a good search with the best candidates that are attainable and they will likely tell him he'd better make them look good this time.

To be clear, I expect that Gene and Kleiman intend to fleece the eff out of KSU as much as they legally can.  I don't see the basketball hire going that way, it would draw too much heat on the honey pot.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
WE LOVE OUR NEW NON-oscar WEBER COACH!!!
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2022, 03:10:36 PM »
Who the F cares if the prominent search firm agreed with Gene on the HC candidate or not? The buck stops with Gene. The only thing that matters after the hire is on field/court performance.

It doesn’t make any sense to me why an AD would think they can use a search firm’s opinion to save their job if they pick crappy coaches. No big money donor or rational fan would accept that excuse.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2022, 06:06:25 PM »
Who the F cares if the prominent search firm agreed with Gene on the HC candidate or not? The buck stops with Gene. The only thing that matters after the hire is on field/court performance.

It doesn’t make any sense to me why an AD would think they can use a search firm’s opinion to save their job if they pick crappy coaches. No big money donor or rational fan would accept that excuse.

ADs don't think that because they know a search firm doesn't make decisions, they only provide info.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2022, 06:08:46 PM »
Amazing

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2022, 07:11:04 PM »

Tell whomever your sources are that Gene Taylor had been at Iowa for a full year when Richman was hired.

You sure about that?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2022, 07:21:21 PM »

Tell whomever your sources are that Gene Taylor had been at Iowa for a full year when Richman was hired.

You sure about that?

Nope, my timeline was off. Gene promoted him and left a few weeks later. Point is Richman isn't "Gene's buddy" if anyone is, it's Tim Miles.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2022, 05:05:08 PM »
i have a good feeling for some reason. it might be because the possibility of brad underwood is setting the bar so high, if we don't get him, gene's got a lot of pressure to get someone really good. hope he doesn't let us down.