Author Topic: TRUMP v. NOBODY! 2024 PRIMARY BLOODBATH!  (Read 64889 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: TRUMP v. DESANTIS! LAST MAGA STANDING 2024 BLOODBATH SHOWDOWN!
« Reply #575 on: November 10, 2022, 03:37:35 PM »
The biggest reason I could never be a Republican is that they have zero empathy for anyone. With the exception being for someone who gets canceled for being racist.

This post is absolutely perfect, and the conversation about "wokeness" that followed was the perfect illustration. Dlew rightly said woke is vague and without meaning, which I largely agree with. What woke has become is a way to not only abandon empathy, but also mock those who chose to be empathetic.

Online DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 10, 2022, 03:57:15 PM »
The biggest reason I could never be a Republican is that they have zero empathy for anyone. With the exception being for someone who gets canceled for being racist.

This post is absolutely perfect, and the conversation about "wokeness" that followed was the perfect illustration. Dlew rightly said woke is vague and without meaning, which I largely agree with. What woke has become is a way to not only abandon empathy, but also mock those who chose to be empathetic.
I don't know...I think it's basically the age-old left v. right social argument.  Hippies and their parents were having the same genre of argument with the free-love/drug movement.  Like that, I think the woke thing is a bunch of boomers (and boomers at heart) seeing the damn youths take aggressively progressive positions (which the damn youths have been taking for at least the last century) and mocking them for it. Whether you characterize it as empathy v. mercilessness or sense v. absurdity, i think it's more or less the same argument that's been going on, mostly divided by generation, for a long time.  Rush Limbaugh certainly participated in numerous iterations of this same argument, back in his heyday. 

All that to say, I don't think there's anything particularly novel about the current iteration of the argument other than the specific issues of the day.  I don't think this has created a mass abandonment of empathy, for instance. 

I think characterizing it as an "abandonment of empathy" is a little too reductive.  I think mercilessness is part of it (at least for some people), but I also think some of it is good old fashioned "get off my lawn" grumpiness, and part misunderstanding, and partly completely reasonable for some of the particularly absurd (and more extreme) stuff. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 04:09:44 PM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 10, 2022, 04:02:16 PM »
I wonder if there was a governor who won a race in the 70s and described his state as the place that hippies come to die in during his victory speech.

Online DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 10, 2022, 04:07:22 PM »
I wonder if there was a governor who won a race in the 70s and described his state as the place that hippies come to die in during his victory speech.
I bet 1970s governors said all kinds of crazy crap.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 10, 2022, 04:16:26 PM »
In the 70's did anyone enact laws banning hippies from participating in sports or serving their country?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
TRUMP v. DESANTIS! LAST MAGA STANDING 2024 BLOODBATH SHOWDOWN!
« Reply #580 on: November 10, 2022, 04:17:24 PM »
Yeah, one mayor (who might as well been governor) sent (a couple of years before the 70’s)  in the baton welding CPD to beat down people protesting for peace.

Curent  #blueanonneocons/#neocongE would feel a sort of kindred spirit(ism) towards these kinds of actions.

For those that say I’m old, I’m sorry you’re an uneducated Derp.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 10, 2022, 04:17:50 PM »
(I'm guessing there were laws effectively banning CRT for all intents and purposes)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 10, 2022, 04:19:39 PM »
The great thing about the 70's is that racism was solved in the 60's so it was the first time everyone got equal opportunity.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
TRUMP v. DESANTIS! LAST MAGA STANDING 2024 BLOODBATH SHOWDOWN!
« Reply #583 on: November 10, 2022, 04:22:09 PM »
I think without a doubt politics has become more organized around hatred, when good old fashioned fear used to be enough. Like others have said, empathy is commonly mocked as either weakness or stupidity.

Although I agree with Dlew that there are plenty of opportunities to have harmless fun over “woke world” type stuff. It’s too bad it has been co-opted by those who refuse to extend basic human dignity to others who might offend (or even disgust) them.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 10, 2022, 04:36:39 PM »

I don't know...I think it's basically the age-old left v. right social argument.  Hippies and their parents were having the same genre of argument with the free-love/drug movement.  Like that, I think the woke thing is a bunch of boomers (and boomers at heart) seeing the damn youths take aggressively progressive positions (which the damn youths have been taking for at least the last century) and mocking them for it. Whether you characterize it as empathy v. mercilessness or sense v. absurdity, i think it's more or less the same argument that's been going on, mostly divided by generation, for a long time.  Rush Limbaugh certainly participated in numerous iterations of this same argument, back in his heyday. 

All that to say, I don't think there's anything particularly novel about the current iteration of the argument other than the specific issues of the day.  I don't think this has created a mass abandonment of empathy, for instance. 

I think characterizing it as an "abandonment of empathy" is a little too reductive.  I think mercilessness is part of it (at least for some people), but I also think some of it is good old fashioned "get off my lawn" grumpiness, and part misunderstanding, and partly completely reasonable for some of the particularly absurd (and more extreme) stuff.
It is not some sort of “kids will disagree with moms and dads) thing.

Things opposed by American Conservatives (e.g. Republicans) that would have been called Wokism:

Freedom for slaves
40 hour work week
Child labor laws
Women voting
Minorities voting (ending poll taxes and Jim Crow)
Ending segregation
Interracial marriage
Blacks attending white schools
Legal Homosexuality (it was a a crime)
Civil rights for minorities and women (legally protect against discrimination)
Abortion access
Aids research and treatment
Interracial adoption
Gay marriage

No matter what the sentient human rights issue is, conservatives have opposed it and mocked it.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: November 10, 2022, 05:25:09 PM »
I think without a doubt politics has become more organized around hatred, when good old fashioned fear used to be enough. Like others have said, empathy is commonly mocked as either weakness or stupidity.

Although I agree with Dlew that there are plenty of opportunities to have harmless fun over “woke world” type stuff. It’s too bad it has been co-opted by those who refuse to extend basic human dignity to others who might offend (or even disgust) them.

I would say fear more so than hatred.  hatred is an outcome from the fear.  9/11 made everything about fear, and politicians have all just run with it.  Fear is the most powerful motivator.
Fear of the other
Fear of kids turning into cats
Fear of invading hoards from the south
Fear of weed drugs
Fear of gay people
Fear of trans people turning you or yours trans
Fear of your daughter losing to some dude in swimming
Fear of your daughter having some dude watch her pee
Etc.

It's all fear.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 10, 2022, 05:39:03 PM »
#lmao

We fear everyone who disagrees with us (#blueanon/#blueanongE)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 10, 2022, 05:42:14 PM »
#blueanon:  We’re perfectly okay with our minor children sharing the same dressing room/bathroom with someone who feels the opposite of their birth sex

#blueaanon:  Women’s Rights!!(unless a biological woman says she’s uncomfortable with a man entering the shower with her at the gym)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 10, 2022, 06:21:11 PM »

How are you going to tease us with beauts like Fat Ron and Potato Boy and then roll with Ron DeSanctimonious?!

Really disappointing stuff.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 10, 2022, 06:35:03 PM »

How are you going to tease us with beauts like Fat Ron and Potato Boy and then roll with Ron DeSanctimonious?!

Really disappointing stuff.
The most victimized victim in the history of victims. What a pathetic sack of dog crap.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 10, 2022, 06:44:25 PM »
Good God. He needed to release a statement for the full five paragraph diatribe.

https://twitter.com/meridithmcgraw/status/1590842285146644483

Online DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 10, 2022, 06:47:40 PM »

It is not some sort of “kids will disagree with moms and dads) thing.

Things opposed by American Conservatives (e.g. Republicans) that would have been called Wokism:

Freedom for slaves
40 hour work week
Child labor laws
Women voting
Minorities voting (ending poll taxes and Jim Crow)
Ending segregation
Interracial marriage
Blacks attending white schools
Legal Homosexuality (it was a a crime)
Civil rights for minorities and women (legally protect against discrimination)
Abortion access
Aids research and treatment
Interracial adoption
Gay marriage

No matter what the sentient human rights issue is, conservatives have opposed it and mocked it.
You’re kind of illustrating my point which was that this (“wokeness”) isn’t a novel genre of argument or some new “abandonment of empathy.”  It’s been going on for a long time. And I do think it is (and largely has been) a mostly generational dichotomy.  Out of all the examples you listed, I imagine there’d be a pretty clear generational gap for the sides. 

For what it’s worth, I also think it’s probably a little hard to link “conservatives” (at least in the modern sense) to some of your examples, but that doesn’t really matter to me.  My point was that these civil rights culture wars are largely generational and aren’t new.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 10, 2022, 09:38:05 PM »
I wonder if that is one of his juicy secrets about Fat Ron.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 10, 2022, 09:38:29 PM »
It's going to be absolutely fantastic watching #blueanon be their usual simple brained selves when it comes to DeSantis.

Simple brained and at Czar Bomba level mental meltdowns is not good for the individual who is overcome with said emotions.

But it's absolutely  :bwpopcorn: :bwpopcorn: for those us who are extremely intelligent to observe.

Online Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 10, 2022, 09:48:34 PM »
The great thing about the 70's is that racism was solved in the 60's so it was the first time everyone got equal opportunity.

I grew up in the '60s/'70s and I can answer your disillusion with a dsfinite NO!
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 10, 2022, 09:54:14 PM »

I grew up in the '60s/'70s and I can answer your disillusion with a dsfinite NO!
Of course that’s false news

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 10, 2022, 10:01:42 PM »
You guys didn’t sense any of the sarcasm?  None?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 10, 2022, 10:33:31 PM »
You guys didn’t sense any of the sarcasm?  None?

Well, I mean ...

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile