Author Topic: TRUMP v. NOBODY! 2024 PRIMARY BLOODBATH!  (Read 64942 times)

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: TRUMP v. DESANTIS! LAST MAGA STANDING 2024 BLOODBATH SHOWDOWN!
« Reply #500 on: November 10, 2022, 08:35:50 AM »
Yeah, you guys are probably right, Mitt Romney, George Bush, and Colin Powell are identical twins to Trump.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 10, 2022, 08:37:55 AM »
Yeah, you guys are probably right, Mitt Romney, George Bush, and Colin Powell are identical twins to Trump.

lmao, the republican party almost universally loathes those people (common ground with libs thread here)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 10, 2022, 08:41:20 AM »
Trump benefits from a crowded field.  If they're going to primary him, they'll need to keep the field small and fall in line once a challenger, likely Desantis, emerges.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 10, 2022, 08:41:50 AM »
Yeah, but that's the guys I like, hence Trump mumped up the party so much.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 10, 2022, 08:43:49 AM »
He certainly amplified it, I agree with that.

Offline kstater

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 10, 2022, 08:45:05 AM »
Or they’ll piss Trump off so much he runs third party, lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Costs a whole lot of your own money to do that.  And I don't think he can grift enough to do it. 

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 10, 2022, 08:45:36 AM »

Costs a whole lot of your own money to do that.  And I don't think he can grift enough to do it. 

the dems could fund him

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 10, 2022, 08:45:40 AM »
Important to remember that Trump was winning primaries for 2016 with 30% of the vote. And that was basically his max at the time.
Good point.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 10, 2022, 08:46:15 AM »

the dems could fund him
Or one or two Pillow Guy types

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 10, 2022, 08:48:34 AM »
He certainly amplified it, I agree with that.

yeah, trump emboldened the far right and previously closeted (at least publicly) bigot right to be proud and puff out their chests with it. the quiet part was now not only said, it was screamed. the bug became the feature. tough to fall back from that successfully.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: November 10, 2022, 08:51:01 AM »
Trump didn't change the party, trump tailored his message to appeal to those who didn't identify with rank and file republicans. Other republicans saw that trumpism was a winning message and they pulled the party to where he was, all for power. The party leaders, McCarthy, Graham, McConnell all career politicians, all formally bush republicans, moved themselves and the party to maga. They did stupid crap like let Ronna McDaniel chair the party. They were both scared of trump and envious of his ability to bring others into the party.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 10, 2022, 09:34:45 AM »
Trump didn't change the party, trump tailored his message to appeal to those who didn't identify with rank and file republicans. Other republicans saw that trumpism was a winning message and they pulled the party to where he was, all for power. The party leaders, McCarthy, Graham, McConnell all career politicians, all formally bush republicans, moved themselves and the party to maga. They did stupid crap like let Ronna McDaniel chair the party. They were both scared of trump and envious of his ability to bring others into the party.
Agree with this, although I also believe Trump directly caused a large number of “rank and file” Republicans to no longer feel ashamed of some pretty racist crap.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 10, 2022, 09:36:31 AM »
Trump also caused a small, but not insignificant, number of sane republicans to leave the party. That makes it harder for a sane candidate to get out of a primary.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 10, 2022, 09:46:32 AM »
yeah, I wasn't surprised by the uprising of alt-right and far right voices to be honest. I had no delusions of what a good part of the party believed regarding immigration, minorities, the lgbtq community, the underprivileged and underrepresented, etc. because I'm from Meade, KS. The anti-vax movement taken up by the fringe of the party was disappointing. And I was somewhat surprised it was such a large number and even more disappointing was that a larger number of republicans didn't stand up against that arm of the party and instead moved to align with it to secure a vote. our party needs more republicans like the ones dax hates and fewer ted cruz demagogues (and obviously far fewer actual far right freaks but that goes without saying). like I said, tough for the party to fall back from that now.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 10, 2022, 09:46:53 AM »
Agree that trump was a symptom of the pubs problem and not the cause. He was also a shot of steroids riding a jet engine to that same problem. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 10, 2022, 09:51:11 AM »
There has been some good come out of it though. A large number of my family has moved center-right out of it and have become disenfranchised with the direction of the party. I think there is a quiet splintering happening (probably shown in the mid term results actually) of the party in that direction. Outside of a few anti-vax MAGA freaks though my family has been pretty moderate republican already. It has caused the few far right members to become somewhat ostracized (to a greater degree than already) though which isn't good on it's own. Maybe too hopeful and anecdotal but that's where i'm at.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 10, 2022, 09:59:12 AM »
the gop deciding whether to be quietly or loudly racist is quite the conundrum

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 10, 2022, 10:02:37 AM »
There has been some good come out of it though. A large number of my family has moved center-right out of it and have become disenfranchised with the direction of the party. I think there is a quiet splintering happening (probably shown in the mid term results actually) of the party in that direction. Outside of a few anti-vax MAGA freaks though my family has been pretty moderate republican already. It has caused the few far right members to become somewhat ostracized (to a greater degree than already) though which isn't good on it's own. Maybe too hopeful and anecdotal but that's where i'm at.

Agreed. This election was a pretty big repudiation of Trumpism (and no, I'm not just parroting Murdoch talking points). It is time to extend an olive branch to non-MAGA Republicans and help to bring them back in from the cold. There is potentially a possible chance to restore some measure of sanity, here. Emphasis on potentially and possible, but we would do well as a nation to dial back the rhetoric when speaking to the reasonable, thinking types. I still think DeSantis sucks, but we can fight that battle another day. 

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 10, 2022, 10:03:08 AM »
A lot of people forget Trump was listed as a democrat 10 years before running for office. He saw a platform that he could manipulate and took advantage. I guess go off on every fiscal conservative is super racist if you want, but they're not.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 10, 2022, 10:07:12 AM »
Attention #blueanongE/faux centrists (aka people not being truthful to us or themselves)

Please list below Republicans that will not cause you to go into your usual thermonuclear mental meltdown state.  These must be truly viable 2024 candidates, not some milquetoast congressperson from bumfuck Idaho.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 10, 2022, 10:14:29 AM »
A lot of people forget Trump was listed as a democrat 10 years before running for office. He saw a platform that he could manipulate and took advantage. I guess go off on every fiscal conservative is super racist if you want, but they're not.
You just kind of proved everybody’s point. Trump changed up because he recognized that he could lead you people by using buzz words.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 10, 2022, 10:20:43 AM »
You just kind of proved everybody’s point. Trump changed up because he recognized that he could lead you people by using buzz words.

More than that, he had the brilliance to tap into a sizable demographic that before then felt excluded and thus were disengaged in politics. Due to the structural issues with the Republican base (an aging, largely white base), Republicans could not afford to exclude their voices from the party. They needed to keep them engaged. Enter DeSantis--a less absurd Trump who makes people feel less bad about themselves.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 10, 2022, 10:21:53 AM »
The biggest reason I could never be a Republican is that they have zero empathy for anyone. With the exception being for someone who gets canceled for being racist.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 10, 2022, 10:23:28 AM »
The biggest reason I could never be a Republican is that they have zero empathy for anyone. With the exception being for someone who gets canceled for being racist.

They will have to adapt or die, as their base dies off.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 10, 2022, 10:24:03 AM »
Mike DeWine

would vote for